Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spiffo posted:

The original New Super Mario Bros was like "HEY REMEMBER THIS???" and we were like "Whoooah, yeah! I remember this from ages ago!!"

Now they keep going "HEY REMEMBER THIS???" and we're like "uh, yeah grandpa, you already showed us that one last time" anyway what I'm saying is that Nintendo is going senile and needs to be put in a home

It got pretty crazy with NSMB2 and NSMBU being released so close to each other. It doesn't matter how hardcore of a Nintendo fan I am, I can't be nostalgic for a game that's only a few months old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not quite true. A lot of Nintendo fans are under the impression that Metroid is dead, F-Zero is dead, and Starfox is dead, based on lack of activity as well as things Nintendo has said (Nintendo has pretty much all but said F-Zero is dead dead dead dead). All that's guaranteed at this point are Mario, Kirby, and Zelda titles.

I know quite a few people that are Nintendo fans that haven't bought a Wii U because they don't even expect to see the Nintendo staples that they used to see on past systems, so the value proposition of "it has Nintendo games" is not a good enough hook for them.

As someone who enjoyed WipeOut64 and just recently got F-Zero and a SNES at a garage sale for $15, this is a travesty.

Also how could they not make another rail shooter like StarFox but with lots of modern features just crammed in? It hasn't even been done. I mean there's Panzer Dragoon Oorta but cmon' that poo poo is not good enough to fill the niche. How the gently caress can you say Metroid is dead? I was under the impression that the modern Metroid games were not that bad.

Maybe if they could get their collective heads out of their asses long enough to realize every single goddamn thing doesn't need to be a mind-blowing gamechanger gimmick they could pump out some cream of the crop fairly standard stuff. "Boring" standardized 2-stick shoot-them in pseudo-linear Metroid style, yes please!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

Is there a quote from anyone to that effect? That honestly sounds like the usual fanfic-y speculation about what's happening behind the scenes.

This is the same company making a game without cutscenes because and I quote "they will wind up on youtube".

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Diet Lime posted:

How the gently caress can you say Metroid is dead? I was under the impression that the modern Metroid games were not that bad.
Retro made the Prime series and they were pretty good. Sakamoto pretty much took it over again though and killed it with Other M.

Reading interviews about Other M is really frustrating. Duder has no idea how to write a game anymore, and was pretty much working AGAINST Team Ninja the entire time.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I saw my first WiiU advertisement! A talkshow gave it away as a prize. When they showed it off everyone clapped so I anticipate good things for the WiiU.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

This is the same company making a game without cutscenes because and I quote "they will wind up on youtube".

Yeah, see, this is the kind of telephone-game bullshit I'm talking about. And don't write "and I quote" when you're not quoting anyone.

What Sakurai said was that since videos from SSB were going to go up online no matter what, he'd rather have those videos be promotional material like the Mega Man cutscene we saw, as opposed to out-of-context story scenes.

But that's not as fun to believe as the made-up version, I guess.

VVVVV In what way?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, see, this is the kind of telephone-game bullshit I'm talking about.

What Sakurai said was that since videos from SSB were going to go up online no matter what, he'd rather have those videos be promotional material like the Mega Man cutscene we saw, as opposed to out-of-context story scenes.

Yeah I think that's even worse.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
It's okay you guys the Wii U will deliver us into the golden age of 2006 era gaming, Reggie said so. All fears can be allayed!

In all seriousness I love Nintendo's smack talk about how the Wii U is much more powerful than people assume, yet they can't properly develop an HD title for it.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Spiffo posted:

Retro made the Prime series and they were pretty good. Sakamoto pretty much took it over again though and killed it with Other M.

Reading interviews about Other M is really frustrating. Duder has no idea how to write a game anymore, and was pretty much working AGAINST Team Ninja the entire time.

There are Team Ninja games that aren't good? :psyduck:

Dec 26, 2012

Diet Lime posted:

There are Team Ninja games that aren't good? :psyduck:

If you don't know about Other M, I don't want to be the one to break the bad news. :smith:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

That's not quite true. A lot of Nintendo fans are under the impression that Metroid is dead, F-Zero is dead, and Starfox is dead

Which is a shame, because I would pickup a Wii U tomorrow just to play the Metroid Prime trilogy in proper HD; let alone the rest of those. They're by far my favourite Nintendo licences, but instead I'm sitting here not owning a Wii U because all we get are new Mario titles.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

01011001 posted:

If you don't know about Other M, I don't want to be the one to break the bad news. :smith:

I've been out of the Nintendo loop since N64, so... Yeah.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

01011001 posted:

That was all Sakamoto man, game would have been far worse without Team Ninja.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
When I played SMW2:Yoshi's Island on my GBA in my late teens, I didn't realize it was a SUPER NINTENDO game from 1995. I didn't think about it.

The last thing I want to see is Nintendo fail in any regard, so I'm optimistic. I sort of think their SNES era was cut short almost, and that there was a lot more potential there if technology had just slowed down. It's like they're trying to play catch-up with developers that started playing a totally different game at a totally different time.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Supercar Gautier posted:

Keep on sticking it to imaginary people!

If you haven't noticed yet that's what all 120 something posts over the last four months have been from that person. Eventually after that much posting about something they hate it makes you wonder if they might have something wrong with them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trollologist posted:

Dear Nintendo,

Do you want to capture the adult American gamer demo? I bet you do. There's tasty dollar-doos there. Here's how:

1) Close up shop on the Wii-u. nice try, we're done here

2) New console WiiHD or Wii2 or SUPER NINTENDO Wii or MEGA Wii or Son of Wii: The revenge part 2: First blood

2a) Hardware: Talk to Epic games, or Bethesda, or DICE about what hardware specs they would like to see in a home console. This will future-proof your system and allow easy cross platform porting of major AAA titles.

2b) Online: Partner with Valve or maybe Gamestop (I like Impulse, shut up) for your online interface. Steam dominates the PC gaming scene so hard you don't even know, and I'm sure Valve would chomp at the bit to get into the console market without having to actually, you know, make consoles. The big name partnership will catch the attention of all the sweaty PC nerds, and most of the "HARDCORE" gamers that spend all those big american dollars.

2c) interface. People liked the wii, a bunch. Keep it. just make as much of an improvement as you can to the responsiveness / add 2 face buttons to the wii remote. The Pro-controller is there for traditional gamers, and wii-remote fans can play skyrim while flailing like a crazy person.
Just take the Wii brand out behind the barn and kill it with an axe. The Wii was successful in spite of the brand, not because of it. They should just name their consoles 'Nintendo Entertainment System <numeral>'. Portables are 'Nintendo Gameboy <numeral>'. Brand-name recognition of Wii might be high, but I doubt it's anywhere near that of the company name itself, or of Gameboy (despite no new Gameboy system in ten loving years).

I whole-heartedly support a Nintendo-Valve partnership for the non-stop, and very public, poo poo-show that would result. Valve is a very progressive, and very Western company. Nintendo is the opposite of all that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's not quite true. A lot of Nintendo fans are under the impression that Metroid is dead, F-Zero is dead, and Starfox is dead, based on lack of activity as well as things Nintendo has said (Nintendo has pretty much all but said F-Zero is dead dead dead dead). All that's guaranteed at this point are Mario, Kirby, and Zelda titles.

I know quite a few people that are Nintendo fans that haven't bought a Wii U because they don't even expect to see the Nintendo staples that they used to see on past systems, so the value proposition of "it has Nintendo games" is not a good enough hook for them.

It's me, I'm one of those Nintendo fanboys who hasn't looked twice at the Wii U. There's a lot of nitpicky reasons, but the big one I see as a problem is that for a company that runs on nostalgia, Nintendo's run out and isn't putting anything new in the bank. Zelda has gone from a must-play series to "It was okay, I guess" over the last decade. Metroid seems pretty dead. The Galaxy games were amazing, those are the big Wii standouts to me, but there doesn't seem to be any new 3d mario stuff forthcoming. NSMB was okay but not something where I'd ask for more of the same. Smash Bros was a huge part of my gaming life, but now that I'm older my friends and I don't really play local multiplayer, and if we did we have Melee and Brawl already. The new Smash looks cool but not anything I'm dying for. I guess my thesis here is that for a company that's been getting by on "It's that game you like, but more awesome now!", the latest entries in most of its series have been sidegrades or steps backwards, which doesn't make me excited for their future.

There's also a clear lack of direction and vision. They threw everything away, releasing an underpowered, SD system to get their motion control idea out there, and then didn't know what the hell to do with it. In almost every great Wii game, the motion controls are incidental at best or an active hindrance. It was basically "Sell insane amounts of Wiis by wowing people with Wii Sports and then figure out the rest later". And now it seems like they're bailing on their "So simple, you just need a remote" control system by inexplicably focusing on a tablet controller. It feels like now if you buy a Nintendo system you're paying a hundreds of dollars for an inferior product so the top Nintendo guys can try out their wacky new idea that they haven't thought through all the way. It doesn't help that this feels uncomfortably like they're chasing that "Imagine if you had a screen in your hand!" pipedream that they inexplicably thought was going to revolutionize console gaming back in... 2002? 2003? I just remember one E3 being so disappointed that Nintendo's killer app was Pac Man with a GBA connector, and here we are ten years later and they've built an entire console around it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 29, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

whaley posted:

If you haven't noticed yet that's what all 120 something posts over the last four months have been from that person. Eventually after that much posting about something they hate it makes you wonder if they might have something wrong with them.

Well, I suppose if you have nothing to actually add to any bit of conversation, it's best to just make snide personal attacks

For actual content, it's been said that branding is not an issue for Nintendo platforms at this time. Reggie has said so. Angry fanboys have said so.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/nintendo-announces-2ds-lowers-wii-142527753.html

I know that you can't expect non-gaming news sites to get this poo poo right, but I have a feeling that the crowd people keep saying is going to make the Wii U explode worldwide is about as well informed about the product and understands the branding about as well as this lady. There have already been the typical excuses thrown up about this, attacking the reporter for being a "dumb bitch who can't read", claiming that she didn't do her research, and on and on and on.

Good product branding and advertisement alleviates this kind of poo poo from happening on a larger scale. There's a reason why even people with regular access to the internet and are gamers acted surprised and counfused about the existence of the Wii U at launch, and it's not always to be "hilarious" on some paid-for comedy forum.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

Good product branding and advertisement alleviates this kind of poo poo from happening on a larger scale. There's a reason why even people with regular access to the internet and are gamers acted surprised and counfused about the existence of the Wii U at launch, and it's not always to be "hilarious" on some paid-for comedy forum.

As I posted earlier, I was a Nintendo Guy, camped out for a Wii on launch night, regularly play all the retro titles that nostalgic manchildren are sworn to replay, and still play a lot of games, mostly on PC. My brother grew up playing the same games I did and plays a lot of PC games now. Neither of us knew that Wii U was an entire new console until a few weeks ago when I read this and the other Wii U thread and told him about some of the stuff I read here. It's a real problem.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Diet Lime posted:

When I played SMW2:Yoshi's Island on my GBA in my late teens, I didn't realize it was a SUPER NINTENDO game from 1995. I didn't think about it.

The last thing I want to see is Nintendo fail in any regard, so I'm optimistic. I sort of think their SNES era was cut short almost, and that there was a lot more potential there if technology had just slowed down. It's like they're trying to play catch-up with developers that started playing a totally different game at a totally different time.

Yoshi's Island used the Super FX 2 chip for graphics acceleration, a processor that was more powerful than the SNES itself. That era was interesting because each year brought games that looked better and had new features like battery-backed saving, thanks to in-cartridge processors. It's neat to think that, on its own, the NES isn't powerful enough to run Super Mario Bros. 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, see, this is the kind of telephone-game bullshit I'm talking about. And don't write "and I quote" when you're not quoting anyone.

VVVVV In what way?

From what I got from the quote, I agree with Alteisen

http://www.destructoid.com/smash-bros-lacks-cutscenes-because-they-ll-end-up-online-258717.phtml

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And that is still telephone bullshit because Destructoid is bad at reporting. I read the original article and the original quote. He didn't say that. He said exactly what is said above. He isn't going to include cutscenes that are designed as 'rewards' in the game and instead is going to include scenes that work out of context so they can be more easily uploaded to the internet. It is, in fact, literally the opposite of what people are saying. he is reconsidering how to create cutscenes so they're more fit to be viewed as out of context Youtube scenes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/57591/no-storycutscenes-in-next-super-smash-bros-thanks-to-the-internet

quote:

Sakurai has opted instead to create videos that would be better served on the internet. These videos include new character intros for Mega Man, Villager, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Additional new characters will be introduced similarly in the future.

There's already a cutscene from the game on Youtube, and more to come. All they've opted to do is focus their FMV budget on scenes that will work better out of context.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
That doesn't really seem to help your point in my eyes...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

That doesn't really seem to help your point in my eyes...

The point is not "Sakura is angry about cutscenes on the internet!" It is literally the opposite. He saw that people like putting cutscenes up online and watching the cutscenes online outside of the game and is focused on catering to that. It is them literally trying to please the fans and it got telephoned gamed into "no cutscenes at all because Sakurai was angry about people uploading cutscenes" because a bunch of lovely game journalists repeated something they heard without actually looking at it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing is that you keep seeing people simplify and then fanfic-ize these stories. "Sakurai wants to create internet-friendly cutscenes" gets turned into this weird elaborate fairy tale about how Nintendo (as some kind of collective entity with personal emotions) got mad at Youtube's existence, and is taking their ball and going home. Speculation and hyperbolic jokes become gospel and are taken seriously. It's silly poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ImpAtom posted:

The point is not "Sakura is angry about cutscenes on the internet!" It is literally the opposite. He saw that people like putting cutscenes up online and watching the cutscenes online outside of the game and is focused on catering to that. It is them literally trying to please the fans and it got telephoned gamed into "no cutscenes at all because Sakurai was angry about people uploading cutscenes" because a bunch of lovely game journalists repeated something they heard without actually looking at it.

quote:

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai said. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

To me that does not sound like a guy going "They like putting the cutscenes online and we're gonna cater to that". It sounds like he's annoyed that that happened and is doing a preemptive move to not have that happen again by just not having cutscenes in the game this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

To me that does not sound like a guy going "They like putting the cutscenes online and we're gonna cater to that". It sounds like he's annoyed that that happened and is doing a preemptive move to not have that happen again by just not having cutscenes in the game this time.

That is because it is taken out of context. It is clarified both in the original article and in later statements. It also isn't a great translation but whatever.

The concept of video game cutscenes as 'reward' is the thing being discussed in that column, not the concept of cutscenes in general. It is about them changing thier approach to cutscenes, not about them getting rid of them entirely.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 29, 2013

midwat
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That is because it is taken out of context. It is clarified both in the original article and in later statements. It also isn't a great translation but whatever.

The concept of video game cutscenes as 'reward' is the thing being discussed here, not the concept of cutscenes in general. It is about them changing thier approach to cutscenes, not about them getting rid of them entirely.

I can't help but feel your points would be bolstered by, um, actual quotes.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The whole reason for the story mode in Brawl was its cutscenes, they were supposed to be your prize for completing a level in it.

But because the internet uploaded those cutscenes, there is really no point to play the story mode besides unlocking all the characters as fast as possible.

It's why Sakurai isn't making a story mode for Smash 4, instead opting for some Melee like Adventure mode that gives you a better prize for completing it, something in-game that hasn't been revealed yet.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's worth noting that basically every site reporting on the quote cites Kotaku as a source, and Kotaku only posted a couple translated sentences out of the entire Famitsu column, paraphrasing the rest and not including a link. It says more about gaming journalism and linkbait blogging than anything, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

midwat posted:

I can't help but feel your points would be bolstered by, um, actual quotes.

Sure, let me dig it up and I'll get the exact quotes.

Meanwhile I'll point out that literally every single article about this cites Kotaku as the source and uses their translations unaltered, which should tell you something.

Edit: It looks like Famitsu only has older columns online so I guess I'll need to track down a transcript of the issue. I had one back when all this hubub came out but damned if I can remember where. Sorry for the delay.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 30, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alteisen posted:

That was all Sakamoto man, game would have been far worse without Team Ninja.
Do you have details on that? It sounds interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Do you have details on that? It sounds interesting.

The details are fairly slim there but basically we've heard from all sources that Sakamoto was incredibly controlling. Team Ninja wanted different control schemes but Sakamoto wouldn't allow them to do so. Likewise, the translators wanted to actually alter the script but he had demands for how things were translated. That is why it was THE BABY instead of "the hatchling" or "the infant" or anything like that.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

Well, I suppose if you have nothing to actually add to any bit of conversation, it's best to just make snide personal attacks

For actual content, it's been said that branding is not an issue for Nintendo platforms at this time. Reggie has said so. Angry fanboys have said so.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/nintendo-announces-2ds-lowers-wii-142527753.html

Thank you for this lovely video. She probably should know a little it better, but still it illustrates a point. Your average consumer and the people who inform the average consumer don't know WTF is what about Nintendo and I find that hilarious.

ImpAtom posted:

The details are fairly slim there but basically we've heard from all sources that Sakamoto was incredibly controlling. Team Ninja wanted different control schemes but Sakamoto wouldn't allow them to do so. Likewise, the translators wanted to actually alter the script but he had demands for how things were translated. That is why it was THE BABY instead of "the hatchling" or "the infant" or anything like that.

The "manchild" might have been more appropriate.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

Sarcasm aside, this:
Is brilliant. First console smart enough to partner with Steam wins their generation, flat-out. The first time there's a Steam Sale and everyone sees games for your console selling at $15, they'll be lining up around the block to buy it. And then you win.

Why exactly would Valve want to enter into a partnership with Nintendo where they have to split their profits and let Nintendo act as a barrier between them and what they deliver to the consumer (I will guarantee that in this situation, Nintendo would say they need quality control over what games get sold on the WiiU, and thus on Steam). Plus, you have the fact that their games aren't programmed for the WiiU, so they'd need to start changing all their games to run on it.

Basically, it would be a Frankensteinian clusterfuck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but where does the blame lie for Samus being such a good submissive little woman that she wouldn't even turn on her Varia Suit, even though she had it and was being damaged, without permission from the big tough man who was in charge? Or breaking down in tears over Ridley?

Fulchrum posted:

Why exactly would Valve want to enter into a partnership with Nintendo where they have to split their profits and let Nintendo act as a barrier between them and what they deliver to the consumer (I will guarantee that in this situation, Nintendo would say they need quality control over what games get sold on the WiiU, and thus on Steam). Plus, you have the fact that their games aren't programmed for the WiiU, so they'd need to start changing all their games to run on it.

Basically, it would be a Frankensteinian clusterfuck.
You're misinterpreting. First off, it's my little fantasy and I get to say that whatever company would take up that idea wouldn't try to get in Valve's way and would let them do what they do best. Secondly, I'm not advocating that all games available on Steam be available for the Wii U (or whatever console, actually). I'm saying that one console manufacturer ought to let Valve run their digital distribution. Steam opens up another section on their storefront for games for that console, and the console comes with the Steam app integrated.

In one fell swoop you get a robust digital distribution system, actually pretty goddamn good DRM that everyone already likes and won't complain about, people can buy your games when they're browsing around the Internet and just have them appear in their libraries, all that good poo poo. Plus your games go on Steam Sale and maybe you even do a Humble Bundle. People will jump into going digital-only with both feet, which is what Sony and Microsoft both want because they are not idiot Luddites, and Nintendo wants it too but they just don't know it yet. And I guarantee you if tomorrow everyone on the Humble Bundle email list got an email saying "hey you can get the latest Zelda game and Mario Kart and three other games you probably would have never played but one of them actually got pretty good reviews, all for paying over the average donation", those people would certainly start thinking that y'know what, maybe they want that console, there's good deals sometimes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but where does the blame lie for Samus being such a good submissive little woman that she wouldn't even turn on her Varia Suit, even though she had it and was being damaged, without permission from the big tough man who was in charge? Or breaking down in tears over Ridley?
Sakamoto too, everything wrong about that game is all his fault, no lie or hyperbole. If he wasn't there the game probably would have been decent at worst.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That is all Sakamoto, like 100%. Team Ninja only worked on the gameplay. Part of the reason that Sakamoto was so insistent about the translation was because it was his story. Like this isn't actually hyperbole. For a Nintendo game we know tons about what happened with it and almost all of it boils down to "Sakamoto had too much control." It isn't like it would have been an assured quality game without him but a lot of the most glaring flaws are easily traced back to his design and story decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Trollologist posted:

2c) interface. People liked the wii, a bunch. Keep it. just make as much of an improvement as you can to the responsiveness / add 2 face buttons to the wii remote. The Pro-controller is there for traditional gamers, and wii-remote fans can play skyrim while flailing like a crazy person.
This point in particular I've been thinking about. As awkward as motion controls often were, I had an awful lot of fun with them. The first time I played Wii Sports Tennis was like a freaking revelation. I remember me and my brother just saying outloud "oh my god this is amazing" and just laughing hysterically.

I'd rather Nintendo have built on what they did with the Wiimote rather than try and create a new sensation with the gamepad touchscreen. Hold onto the idea of the old design such that Grandma will still know what to do with it, but improve its capabilities so that it's not retarding its use in other areas. They could even be innovative with it. You hold the Wiiremote different from any other controller on the market; take advantage of that. Instead of one trigger on the underside, put four down there, one for each of your fingers, and do the same for the Nunchuck; or replace the D-pad with a control stick and let the player use two Wii remotes at once. There, now you have a unique control scheme where the gimmick element exists but doesn't weigh down traditional interface methods.

• Locked thread