Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I know that Wrestlemania paydays are huge in comparison to everything else, but is there a difference between paydays for other pay-per-views? Like, is there an appreciable difference between a midcard match on Summerslam and, let's say, Payback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm really not sure if there is a such thing as paydays for other shows as WWE employees are on salary. that said those salaries can vary wildly and I would expect someone who is on PPV regularly to be making a fair bit more than someone who never leaves Superstars.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Desumaytah posted:

I know that Wrestlemania paydays are huge in comparison to everything else, but is there a difference between paydays for other pay-per-views? Like, is there an appreciable difference between a midcard match on Summerslam and, let's say, Payback?

Paydays are based on the amount of revenue a show brings in and your place on the card. So a midcard match on Summerslam is worth likely 3x what a match on Payback is worth.

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm really not sure if there is a such thing as paydays for other shows as WWE employees are on salary.

This is some kind of funny joke, correct?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

This is some kind of funny joke, correct?

like I said, I wasn't sure.

alternate post of course it was a joke I am queen jokester, I make all the big laughs.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 29, 2013

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Cardboard Box posted:

like I said, I wasn't sure.

alternate post of course it was a joke I am queen jokester, I make all the big laughs.

More the fact that the wrestlers are not considered employees at all, but independent contractors.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I could've sworn there was a payroll, but I guess that's for non-talent employees? I dunno how this stuff works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm sure those who have administrative duties (like road agents) are employees on a payroll, even if they still wrestle from time to time. I've seen rumours repeated that this allows HHH to work without being subject to Wellness tests.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure those who have administrative duties (like road agents) are employees on a payroll, even if they still wrestle from time to time. I've seen rumours repeated that this allows HHH to work without being subject to Wellness tests.

Yeah, Connecticut law prohibits random drug tests of employees.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Nice! Thanks for this.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Yeah, Connecticut law prohibits random drug tests of employees.

Which is why WWE hired Brock Lesnar as their Executive Vice President of Firearms and Hunting

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Which is why WWE hired Brock Lesnar as their Executive Vice President of Firearms and Hunting

I'm still sad we never got to see Corporate Brock in a suit, glasses, and making a presentation on how he will smash his foe at the next PPV in Hunter's role as COO.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Now on slide B2 you'll find that I will both smash and wreck CM Punk when I get him in the ring, now please look at the related pamphlet to see my exact plan on how I'll put him through the announcer table and then beat him with the cover.

I'll never not love how cartoonish WWE is about that poo poo.

"What him? He's not a wrestler no he's our executive of smelling what's being cooked, can't test that dude!"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

triplexpac posted:

Bastard put Shawn Michaels out of a job.

With the talk of weekday pay per views, I wonder why they stopped doing shows in the late afternoon/early evening and stuck with the 8pm start time. I can't remember how many times my parents wouldn't let me order a show because "it's a school night". You'd think that they might try to start some shows a bit earlier in order to draw in some more of the kid demographic they're so keen on right now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TL posted:

With the talk of weekday pay per views, I wonder why they stopped doing shows in the late afternoon/early evening and stuck with the 8pm start time. I can't remember how many times my parents wouldn't let me order a show because "it's a school night". You'd think that they might try to start some shows a bit earlier in order to draw in some more of the kid demographic they're so keen on right now.

Earlier start time means a potentially smaller live crowd. And live crowds pay a lot of money.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
UFC did earlier start times for a while, then switched back... could be that WWE saw what happened there, and decided to not bother?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TL posted:

WWE has one of the oldest skewing audiences in television, and starting shows earlier than 5 on the west coast is a bad idea.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think it's pretty much a non-issue in this day and age anyway because most basic digital cable packages offer PVR anyway. Kids who can't stay up can just record it and watch it the next day after school, pretty much a recreation of being a Canadian WCW fan in the late 90s.

bartok
May 10, 2006

How much does JTG make a year? Also does he at least show up on NXT and Superstars?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If it ends up being enough to retire on, he might be one of the luckiest wrestlers in history. Imagine, a wrestler retiring on a nice nest egg with a body that still works.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

bartok posted:

How much does JTG make a year? Also does he at least show up on NXT and Superstars?

Since the start of this year, he's wrestled on TV 6 times. All 6 of those matches have been on Superstars. He might of appeared in some of the full-roster shots recently but I doubt anyone bothered to look for him.

His last victory of any kind, TV or house show, was against Yoshi Tatsu in May of last year.

On the subject of his pay, I doubt anyone here really knows for sure, but it's probably not much. For example, Meltzer revealed that his (JTGs, not Meltzers :cheeky:) payday for the Wrestlemania 28 week was only $2k. Now, while he didn't wrestle on that show, the pay a guy gets for a Wrestlemania weekend is generally significantly higher than what they would make otherwise, and JTG doesn't wrestle that many shows to begin with.

Killed By Death fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 29, 2013

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I like how JTGs twitter makes it sound like he's living the dream

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Manwithastick posted:

JTG is like your friend that moves away after high school, and got to the bottom of the top in his industry, but he still comes back to your hometown to get laid, because everywhere else he's that lovely wrestler that always loses but at home he's the loving king.

The Great Kalhi is similar except his hometown is all of India.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

He gets to travel the world with his friends at the top of his industry. He's making pretty good money to only work a handful of dates a year, and experiencing none of the wear and tear on his body.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Not every wrestler expects to be John Cena. I'm sure JTG is happy where he is and more power to him.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

So JTG is Zack Ryder without the pie in the sky dreaming and bitching?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

That's a nice way of looking at it. Seriously, look at JTG's twitter. Dude looks like he's enjoying himself, and there's no "WHY AM I NOT A MAIN EVENTER :gonk::gonk::gonk:"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Manwithastick posted:

Wow how did we not make this connection a long time ago. Its so perfect.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just to add a slight alteration: When JTG was on NXT, he actually seemed pretty decent. So he's a better worker than Ryder, too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Why did Roddy Piper paint half his body black at WrestleMania VI, and why did anyone think it was a good idea?

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
I always thought WWE wrestlers made at least 100k per year. Is that not accurate then?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Kukash posted:

I always thought WWE wrestlers made at least 100k per year. Is that not accurate then?

From the (dirtsheet) figures we've seen, I'd say the 100k point is somewhere around the middle of the Raw-regular midcard. So like, Kofi and upward.

TL posted:

Why did Roddy Piper paint half his body black at WrestleMania VI, and why did anyone think it was a good idea?

He done it to shoot piss off Bad News Brown. Silver lining, apparently it took WEEKS of scrubbing to get it off.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TL posted:

Because he was wrestling Bad News Brown and thought it would get good heat.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Downside used to be 75k min but that was mid 00s with all the cost cutting ect who knows what lower talent earn these days.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kukash posted:

I don't think there are any main roster men who are in practice below that, but you also have to consider that WWE wrestlers as independent contractors are subject to all kinds of expenses that an employee would not be.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't think there are any main roster men who are in practice below that, but you also have to consider that WWE wrestlers as independent contractors are subject to all kinds of expenses that an employee would not be.

Also keeping in mind that some guys might have signed a smaller developmental deal and haven't renegotiated their contract since callup

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

oatgan posted:

Also keeping in mind that some guys might have signed a smaller developmental deal and haven't renegotiated their contract since callup

That really wouldn't matter a whole lot; everyone on the main roster is over their downside except Undertaker and Lesnar.

Cameal
Sep 23, 2004
Keep in mind that except for top guys who might have these things covered in their contracts, the talent are responsible for transportation costs (except for international flights) and hotels.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What happened to that thread with the guy who became a worker? I can't find it anywhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Croc posted:

Downside used to be 75k min but that was mid 00s with all the cost cutting ect who knows what lower talent earn these days.

The highest tier of standard developmental deals cap out a little under that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Paulocaust posted:

What happened to that thread with the guy who became a worker? I can't find it anywhere.

It fell into the archives. Nick Lovin update because for some reason I'm still subscribed to SoCal pro on youtube: He's wrestling a female wrestler at their big show and cut a promo about how much he was looking forward to hitting her in the face. He's still probably the best promo on the roster, has improved his work rate a bit, and still looks like a slight breeze might blow him over.