Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love how this oracle apparently didn't notice the giant space rock.

I gotta say, I'm much more pleased with Saitama purposely turning people against him in order to keep their faith in the heroes than some silly handwave about how the organisation gave most of the credit to other heroes because ~reasons~.

(future spoilers)It gets explained that she does not foresee every disaster, but any she does WILL HAPPEN, 6 months out is her limit of foresight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saitama's not the hero they deserve. He's a lot better than that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was that intentional, though, or was that Genos putting his typical idealistic spin on his teacher's actions?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
All the other heroes didn't really do much to the Sea King and Saitama literally punched a hole through him as his first and only attack. I'm pretty sure Saitama didn't get any help from the previous fighters by them weakening the Sea King.

At the very least, maybe Licenseless Rider will go up a notch. Maybe he'll even get a license.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Saitama was definitely helping the other heroes save face at his own expense. Given what we know about him, there's no other explanation.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nahxela posted:

At the very least, maybe Licenseless Rider will go up a notch. Maybe he'll even get a license.

I hope not, he's the perfect C rank hero. He saves cats from trees and helps find lost objects, he stands up to bullies and he guides old ladies across the street.

If nothing else, having him at rank C-1 means you have to be in some way exceptional to advance to B rank, you can't just do a lot of good until you're promoted beyond your capabilities.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bongo Bill posted:

Saitama was definitely helping the other heroes save face at his own expense. Given what we know about him, there's no other explanation.

It's not just what we know about him, it's what we know about the Sea King i.e. that he wasn't in any way tired out or worn down by the other heroes. Add in the fact that you see him silently listening to the crowd disparage the other heroes for several panels and there's no other possible explanation for his otherwise out of character out-burst. I'm honestly not sure how you could possibly pull any other explanation from it. Or what that explanation would be.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I liked it better when Saitama unquestionably beat the poo poo out of the Sea King and everyone just stared in awe :smith:

Saitama, you are just too good for this bunch of jerks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rexides posted:

I liked it better when Saitama unquestionably beat the poo poo out of the Sea King and everyone just stared in awe :smith:

Saitama, you are just too good for this bunch of jerks.

Blame NEET.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I guess Saitama doesn't care as much about being famous as he first let on, then again this is just a hobby for him.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I don't remember if there were that many moments where Saitama cared about being known. There was the incident with the bald villains, but he just didn't want to be confused for a bad guy. He also had to meet a quota while he was in C-rank, but otherwise he hasn't really cared about being known. He's just a unemployed guy looking for three things in life: Cheap deals, being a hero, and the FIGHT OF HIS LIFE. He even had a similar outburst after the meteor strike, when the Tank Tops were trying to slander him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty sure he had an outburst in his apartment with Genos at one point, exclaiming that with everything he's done he should be more well known. It could be explained by him just being kind of impulsive though and realizing that it doesn't matter when faced with the mob dismissing all heroes as worthless.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That NEET pulled some really backwards logic out of his rear end just to be smug. After all, ranking systems aren't ironclad and any system run by humans is prone to human error, which is demonstrably the case here. That error being not taking aside the guy who's absolutely demolished the scale you were measuring heroes by and taking his actual abilities into account rather than shoehorning him down on a technicality. The only reason why Saitama's even a C-rank is because of bureaucratic ineptitude, and here's some jerk who's making faulty arguments because he's too dumb to know what Occam's Razor is. "Oh look, a lowly C-rank killed the toughest villain we've seen thus far and was capable of moving raindrops and breaking windows with the shockwave of his punch. That doesn't mean he's in the wrong ranking, it means heroes are worthless!" Honestly, he really should've been punched.

But then again if people besides Saitama had any brains in this situation, we wouldn't have had his real moment of heroism.

Someone still should've punched that guy though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mystic Mongol posted:

I hope not, he's the perfect C rank hero. He saves cats from trees and helps find lost objects, he stands up to bullies and he guides old ladies across the street.

If nothing else, having him at rank C-1 means you have to be in some way exceptional to advance to B rank, you can't just do a lot of good until you're promoted beyond your capabilities.
He will climb the ranks by saving more cats in trees. He will become the S Rank cat saving hero we need :colbert:

~Cat Saver Licenseless Rider~

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nahxela posted:

He will climb the ranks by saving more cats in trees. He will become the S Rank cat saving hero we need :colbert:

~Cat Saver Licenseless Rider~

The next fight he's in, an army of cats he saved will come to his aide and defeat this unknown horror.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The next fight he's in, an army of cats he saved will come to his aide and defeat this unknown horror.

Cats know no loyalty and recognize no debts.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Gyges posted:

That's because they've never met a human worthy of their respect until now.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

tsob posted:

Pretty sure he had an outburst in his apartment with Genos at one point, exclaiming that with everything he's done he should be more well known. It could be explained by him just being kind of impulsive though and realizing that it doesn't matter when faced with the mob dismissing all heroes as worthless.

Re-reading that, he is surprised that no one recognizes him, but my understanding of it is that he doesn't want to be seen as a creep/villain while he does his superheroing, more than wanting adoration from people. He gives the speech right after beating the bald villains and Sonic, and before Genos mentions the registry, so at that point he isn't recognized as a good guy by society.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's nice to be recognized, but Saitama is out to save people, and this act was Saitama saving the people from their own cynicism. He gave them a way to continue believing that there are still heroes in the world, which is important (even if they aren't exactly right about who those heroes are).

This is also a valuable lesson for Genos: so many of the other heroes are willing to sell each other out for rank, but by pretending to do exactly that, he was in fact doing the exact opposite. In a different universe, the person giving that diatribe wouldn't be the guy in the NEET shirt, but J. Jonah Jameson.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Besides, all the Heros there know how useless they were against the Sea King. Even if the public hates him, the Heros will recognize Saitama at least.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KoB posted:

Besides, all the Heros there know how useless they were against the Sea King. Even if the public hates him, the Heros will recognize Saitama at least.

Technically, they could each think that the hero(es) that came after them was the one to soften the Sea King up enough for Saitama to kill him, and coincidentally, the last one to face him before Saitama was Genos himself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnonSpore posted:

Technically, they could each think that the hero(es) that came after them was the one to soften the Sea King up enough for Saitama to kill him, and coincidentally, the last one to face him before Saitama was Genos himself.

Wasn't Licence-less Rider the last one to face him before Saitama?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Wasn't Licence-less Rider the last one to face him before Saitama?

You're right, it completely slipped my mind.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Bongo Bill posted:

It's nice to be recognized, but Saitama is out to save people...

Saitama is out to find a challenge. Saving people is just what happens to happen along the way.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Liar posted:

Saitama is out to find a challenge. Saving people is just what happens to happen along the way.

The reason Saitama became a hero is because, when he was a normal guy, he risked his life to save a child from a giant crab monster. Actions speak louder than words.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of expected people would give the credit to all the other heroes.
I didn't expect Saitama to encourage them, I guess all he really cares about having a good fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

The reason Saitama became a hero is because, when he was a normal guy, he risked his life to save a child from a giant crab monster. Actions speak louder than words.

A seafood deal is a seafood deal.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I see you have never owned a cat. They are notorious for repaying their debts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I kind of expected people would give the credit to all the other heroes.
I didn't expect Saitama to encourage them, I guess all he really cares about having a good fight.

They were about to give all the credit to Saitama, and none to the other heroes. The other heroes were the only ones here who showed actual courage (even the ones who were hiding in the shelter because they were outclassed), so he decided that it's better that the people should respect them than him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah pretty much, I mean Tiger/Tank Top can go gently caress themselves, but the other heroes at least tried. I wished that NEET guy got punched though.

And besides like Saitama cares what the people think. They were pissed when they thought it was his fault that meteor broke the houses, let alone if it wasn't for him they wouldn't even be alive and he shouted to them complain to the Meteor ya retards.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope people see Licenseless Rider as being the last hero to fight and weaken Sea King before Saitama capitalized on his efforts, and he finally becomes a Licensed Rider.

HenryEx posted:

I see you have never owned a cat. They are notorious for repaying their debts.

"Rains of Castamere" does centre around "a cat of a different claw".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty sure popular support doesn't get you a motorbike license - though I guess if the president or Emperor or whatever is in charge in this fictional Japan was in the crowd, then it might be different.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

tsob posted:

Pretty sure popular support doesn't get you a motorbike license - though I guess if the president or Emperor or whatever is in charge in this fictional Japan was in the crowd, then it might be different.
What about burning shonen biker spirit?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nahxela posted:

What about burning shonen biker spirit?

If that was enough he'd have one already.

Spirit only gets you mechs and beam attacks, and Rider doesn't need any of that crap.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Saitama does care.. about sale prices.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Spirit only gets you mechs and beam attacks, and Rider doesn't need any of that crap.
Ju... Justice Tackle!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That NEET pulled some really backwards logic out of his rear end just to be smug. After all, ranking systems aren't ironclad and any system run by humans is prone to human error, which is demonstrably the case here. That error being not taking aside the guy who's absolutely demolished the scale you were measuring heroes by and taking his actual abilities into account rather than shoehorning him down on a technicality. The only reason why Saitama's even a C-rank is because of bureaucratic ineptitude, and here's some jerk who's making faulty arguments because he's too dumb to know what Occam's Razor is. "Oh look, a lowly C-rank killed the toughest villain we've seen thus far and was capable of moving raindrops and breaking windows with the shockwave of his punch. That doesn't mean he's in the wrong ranking, it means heroes are worthless!" Honestly, he really should've been punched.

But then again if people besides Saitama had any brains in this situation, we wouldn't have had his real moment of heroism.

Someone still should've punched that guy though.

I think the worst part of his reasoning was, if the monster really was so weak, why didn't he fight it? Why did no-one but the heroes stand up to something that was threatening to kill everyone. Oh yeah, because that's what a hero is.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Say Nothing posted:

Saitama does care.. about sale prices.

Actually right then he cared about taking a serious piss.

Note to everyone, while building a shelter from monsters include toilets.

Liar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 30, 2013

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I'm kind of disappointed he didn't just walk up and ask the NEET if he was an idiot. Ether that or insist the NEET kid sign up to be a hero and force him to be his sidekick for a week or two.

Also, cats are terrible. Clearly you need dog powers to be S-rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
drat. Saitama, you are a true hero!