Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rutibex posted:

The revolutionary part was the Taint. No other Minecraft energy has a pollution system. With Thaumcraft 2 I managed to gently caress up my tanks and irrevocably Taint up my entire base and surrounding area. That was neat.

If it makes you feel any better, Azanor has strongly hinted that Taint will be returning in a big way in the next update.

Anyway, my thoughts on the new update? The thing I'm most thrilled about is the change that makes the aspects the primary energy system. Aura was a neat idea but was also completely borked, and it seems like this iteration has a similar idea while being much easier to handle, for both us and Azanor. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

dijon du jour posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Azanor has strongly hinted that Taint will be returning in a big way in the next update.

Anyway, my thoughts on the new update? The thing I'm most thrilled about is the change that makes the aspects the primary energy system. Aura was a neat idea but was also completely borked, and it seems like this iteration has a similar idea while being much easier to handle, for both us and Azanor. :cheeky:

He hasn't just hinted. One of his videos shows a Tainted Biome, another had a Tainted Creeper in the background. He's said that taint will spawn naturally in some areas, but won't spread beyond the biome border (apparently in an effort to reduce how much world destruction goes on). No indication yet of if you can cause taint, but with the change to nodes, I suspect flux is being removed and taint is taking it's place.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Perfectly happy with that change if that's the case; flux just spawned tons of wisps and maybe a couple environmental effects once in a blue moon with no way of reducing it. Taint gave you a visual indicator of how much you're subverting the natural order of things for your own selfish gain and some real consequences.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Sage Grimm posted:

Perfectly happy with that change if that's the case; flux just spawned tons of wisps and maybe a couple environmental effects once in a blue moon with no way of reducing it. Taint gave you a visual indicator of how much you're subverting the natural order of things for your own selfish gain and some real consequences.

I agree. Flux, on the whole, was a really weak mechanic. Heck, as soon as you get the goggles, you can just go encase the local node in blocks and even the wisps are no longer an issue (and can be easily farmed). A couple seconds of Mining Fatigue or the periodic extra lightning strike (or endless freaking rain) were either pointless or just annoying. Taint, on the other hand, looks like a serious, real, measurable way to know just how badly you're screwing things up, with real, nasty stuff happening when you don't take some care with your work.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of nodes, do we know if he's changed how nodes are essentially a finite resource that eventually requires you to move your base or else never use thaumstuff again?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Thus far, he's said very little about the way nodes are now. As far as I know, the only information we have is basically what was seen in the wand teaser vid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Onean posted:

As for the compound aspects being unlinked from items, that's not the case. He mentions being unable to get Lux from anything until you discover the base aspects, but then you can collect them in the same way as the rest.

Ahh cool, this might be better than I was hoping. I was worried that items wouldn't have aspects any more and that would mess with the sweet Thaumic Tinkerer transmutation system :v:

Serifina posted:

He hasn't just hinted. One of his videos shows a Tainted Biome, another had a Tainted Creeper in the background. He's said that taint will spawn naturally in some areas, but won't spread beyond the biome border (apparently in an effort to reduce how much world destruction goes on). No indication yet of if you can cause taint, but with the change to nodes, I suspect flux is being removed and taint is taking it's place.

:haw: Yay! I'm actually excited for the new update now. He had so many cool art assets for the tainted areas; it felt such a shame to dump them for the sake of lame multiplayer babies who didn't want people tainting their bases.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Onean posted:

...so after your first time you will, aided by a wiki or such if needed...
See, that's what I'm talking about though. Doing Thaumcraft research in its trial-and-error style is fun maybe once, but then every time after that you're just going to use a cheat sheet. I wish it was something more intuitive or integrated than just "nope, not that one! Guess again!" because that's not fun and not something I'd do twice.
Don't get me wrong, I love that it's not a resource dump anymore. I just think this new "minigame" doesn't look fun. It's just the same trial-and-error, minus resource wasting, plus a whole lot of sliding puzzle-esque clicking (which apparently reduces the durability of your scribing tools per click).

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

axelsoar posted:

Uggg, Vib Rib your friend's pack has spoiled me, I cannot go back to packs with the old Tinkers Construct build without hammers, as well as the current build of Artifice.

Good thing I just remembered Toast exists :getin:

I was thinking about reworking the IDs and making it publicly available, but I dunno if I have the hosting for a public pack. Either way it should still be around for single player when the server goes down and I'll probably keep it as up to date as possible just to make life easier when we do another server.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vib Rib posted:

See, that's what I'm talking about though. Doing Thaumcraft research in its trial-and-error style is fun maybe once, but then every time after that you're just going to use a cheat sheet. I wish it was something more intuitive or integrated than just "nope, not that one! Guess again!" because that's not fun and not something I'd do twice.
Don't get me wrong, I love that it's not a resource dump anymore. I just think this new "minigame" doesn't look fun. It's just the same trial-and-error, minus resource wasting, plus a whole lot of sliding puzzle-esque clicking (which apparently reduces the durability of your scribing tools per click).

Looking at the video, research doesn't have to be trial-and-error if you don't want it to be.
In the video, the two correct symbols are the only symbols on the page with no duplicates. So all you really have to do is play "Where's Waldo" with the symbols and the trial-and-error-throw-aspects-at-it-and-see-what-sticks option just seems to be there to give you hints if you're stuck or have bad eyesight. :shrug:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Gollom posted:

Also I hate the way the crucible works and really wish it was more like Tinkerer's Construct's smeltery; right click interface, insert items to turn them into vis. But that's mostly because I'm awful at throwing things.

Let's play a game of 'where the gently caress did my expensive item go, oh loving hell it didn't fall in th- oh god it's on fire now'!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gollom posted:

Also I hate the way the crucible works and really wish it was more like Tinkerer's Construct's smeltery; right click interface, insert items to turn them into vis. But that's mostly because I'm awful at throwing things.

When Redpower was still around, I used a relay with its backside pointing down above the crucible, with one block space in between; put items in it and it drops them straight into the crucible. I don't know if there's a current equivalent.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What about MFR ejectors?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geekkake posted:

What about MFR ejectors?

A complex series of Conveyer Belts is the only answer.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rutibex posted:

A complex series of Conveyer Belts is the only answer.

Azanor has shown that in the new update golems can be programmed to drop items into things like the Infernal Furnace. So if the crucible is still in (presumably to fill wands with aspects?) I really hope Azanor included ways to eventually make the entire process automatic. The way it worked before even if you set up a system to automatically fill the crucible with items you still had to be there to smack the crucible with your wand so the little golem helpers could fill their flasks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dijon du jour posted:

Azanor has shown that in the new update golems can be programmed to drop items into things like the Infernal Furnace. So if the crucible is still in (presumably to fill wands with aspects?) I really hope Azanor included ways to eventually make the entire process automatic. The way it worked before even if you set up a system to automatically fill the crucible with items you still had to be there to smack the crucible with your wand so the little golem helpers could fill their flasks.

I think you can already do this with a Turtle to use the wand; but why would you want to? There really isn't much in Thaumcraft that needs mass producing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rutibex posted:

I think you can already do this with a Turtle to use the wand; but why would you want to? There really isn't much in Thaumcraft that needs mass producing.

Nobody else stockpiled hundreds of flasks of aspects? :ohdear:

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I keep hoping he will add the aspects to the liquid registry so I could pump them into huge tanks.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Prepare for mods to take forever, if at all, to update to 1.7 when it launches:

I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cerevisiae posted:

I keep hoping he will add the aspects to the liquid registry so I could pump them into huge tanks.

He's not going to. From what I've read, he didn't like the liquid system with pipes and all very much (part of why he changed it for TC3) and there's no indication yet of exactly what he's going to do with liquid essentia in the update.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This must mean they have finally implemented the modding API....right?...right? :cry:

Serifina posted:

He's not going to. From what I've read, he didn't like the liquid system with pipes and all very much (part of why he changed it for TC3) and there's no indication yet of exactly what he's going to do with liquid essentia in the update.

There was actually a mod for Thaumcraft 3 that let you put aspects into multitanks and it made him angry and he told them to cut it out. Honestly I don't understand what every ones fetish for thousands of tanks of liquid is ether.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 29, 2013

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

This must mean they have finally implemented the modding API....right?...right? :cry:

What, no ? This was just to nerf diamond ore generation and ad a new kind of monster.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rutibex posted:

Now why would you even need the API now when the main dev team is already adding the best aspects of mods into the game at the lightning fast speed of one horse per month!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rutibex posted:

There was actually a mod for Thaumcraft 3 that let you put aspects into multitanks and it made him angry and he told them to cut it out. Honestly I don't understand what every ones fetish for thousands of tanks of liquid is ether.
I don't understand it, either. I have some tanks for stuff in my 1.5.2 world, largely to support my steam boiler and bees, but I don't have that many. The idea of having a big multitank for each kind of different essentia is just crazy and ridiculous and where the hell would someone even PUT that? No, thank you. (Although there's been hints that there's only one kind of liquid essentia in the new version, but that's not definite yet.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm playing around in the Toast pack, and I'm trying to mess with Mystcraft stuff, but I can't seem to make linking books. Putting a book down in the crafting grid does nothing. Same with descriptive books. I can cheat them in and they work fine, but I can't seem to make them legitimately. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

I'm playing around in the Toast pack, and I'm trying to mess with Mystcraft stuff, but I can't seem to make linking books. Putting a book down in the crafting grid does nothing. Same with descriptive books. I can cheat them in and they work fine, but I can't seem to make them legitimately. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Yup, your missing the latest Mystcraft Nerf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8BLonCAeV8

Hitch posted:

Also, does anyone know if linking books are one time use? Mine are always disappearing when I transport back. Would be a huge pain to have to make a new one every time I want to travel to a specific age.

You have to put them on a stand or they drop on to the ground and decay.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Serf posted:

I had the same problem the other day. You need to make a Writing Desk and something else...Ink something or other. (Sorry, can't remember right now at work.)

Then from there you need to create pages as well as a linking page, I believe. Basically, the typical formulas all are no longer accurate with the new version of Mystcraft. No more easy crafting recipes.

Also, does anyone know if linking books are one time use? Mine are always disappearing when I transport back. Would be a huge pain to have to make a new one every time I want to travel to a specific age.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hitch posted:

I had the same problem the other day. You need to make a Writing Desk and something else...Ink something or other. (Sorry, can't remember right now at work.)

Then from there you need to create pages as well as a linking page, I believe. Basically, the typical formulas all are no longer accurate with the new version of Mystcraft. No more easy crafting recipes.

Books stay behind whenever you use them. Put it on a stand if you want it to remain as without one if just falls on the ground and eventually decays.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hitch posted:

Ink Mixer is the other block you're thinking about (which takes ink vials and paper to give link pages). Linking books are not one-time use, but you must put them on a stand of some kind or they decay - bookstand, lectern, etc. If you just use them directly from hand, they fall on the ground.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Direwolf's latest video shows that Buildcraft (at least for 1.6) now has a block that can push liquids out into the world.

I have one thing to say about this... FINALLY.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
To anyone using twilight forest, DO NOT closely box in the portal, as it will send you though the floor and into the void.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Does anyone know if PC and KL will be coming back to their mods eventually? Or if they're still working on them and just being quiet about it. It would be sad if the two best tech mods out there die at the same time with 1.6. :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Serifina posted:

I don't understand it, either. I have some tanks for stuff in my 1.5.2 world, largely to support my steam boiler and bees, but I don't have that many. The idea of having a big multitank for each kind of different essentia is just crazy and ridiculous and where the hell would someone even PUT that? No, thank you. (Although there's been hints that there's only one kind of liquid essentia in the new version, but that's not definite yet.)

They look cool. :v:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hitch posted:

That poo poo is annoying so cheat in a Link Modifier and hit the Following button. Intra Linking lets you warp in the same age (or overworld) if you want to set up a portal network without having to load into a "hub" age.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Does anyone know if PC and KL will be coming back to their mods eventually? Or if they're still working on them and just being quiet about it. It would be sad if the two best tech mods out there die at the same time with 1.6. :(

KL is working on TE for certain for 1.6.2, but will be making the mod open source afterwards and apparently retiring from modding. Its just taking a while because he's been busy with a lot of stuff. PC, I've heard nothing about, yet.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Is there any good redstone logic mod at this point? (mainly, redstone cables instead of dust)

It doesn't look like MFR is going to be updated anytime soon but RedNet cables were the best thing ever and I really miss them :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Daynab posted:

Is there any good redstone logic mod at this point? (mainly, redstone cables instead of dust)

It doesn't look like MFR is going to be updated anytime soon but RedNet cables were the best thing ever and I really miss them :(

Yeah there's Immibis Red Logic which is basically an exact copy of RedPower and updated to 1.6:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1852277-162-redlogic-wip-replacement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Yeah there's Immibis Red Logic which is basically an exact copy of RedPower and updated to 1.6:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1852277-162-redlogic-wip-replacement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

I suspect an awful lot of people will not use that mod for one of the reasons people gladly gave up on redpower - in RP2 the wires that light up and the animated logic bits caused far more chunk updates than should be necessary, and thus greatly increased the amount of data the server had to transfer. That's the specific reason MFR Rednet cables and PRCs aren't animated.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2013

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

I suspect n awful lot of people will not use that mod for one of the reasons people gladly gave up on redpower - in RP2 the wires that light up and the animated logic bits caused far more chunk updates than should be necessary, and thus greatly increased the amount of data the server had to transfer. That's the specific reason MFR Rednet cables and PRCs aren't animated.

The free standing/insulated wire doesn't light up exactly like Rednet cables. Tell people on your server to behave themselves :v: It's better than nothing if Rednet is never being updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Ah thanks. That definitely works, and has cool lamps on top of it.

Not a fan of having to have both microblocks and multipart but it doesn't seem to conflict, so, cool.

• Locked thread