Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Serella posted:

3 free means it has no dibutyl phthalate, toluene, or formaldehyde, so it's about as safe for dogs as it is for people (as long as they don't eat it).

This. Dog-specific polish is basically identical to human 3-free polish only in a smaller bottle and waaaay more expensive (unless you're using like Deborah Lippmann on your dog, which is crazy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's like how they make "dog hair dye" that is literally the same thing as Manic Panic. Make it for a dog, jack up the price!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dog ice cream is just regular lactose-free ice cream, too!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Poor old Charlie has to wear a bandage thing and possibly a Cone of Shame for a while. He's feeling very sorry for himself today. He'd managed to do something stupid and snag one of his dewclaws on something, and it was at a horrible looking angle, but he's had an operation to sort it out. For a free dog, he's turning out to be quite expensive. :v: Can forgive him though, he's a lovely cuddlemonster. Apparently he was fine at the vet, but once he got home he wanted some sympathy. He got lots of that.

No running and jumping around for him for a while though. Poor doggy. Those are basically his favourite things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RazorBunny posted:

Dog ice cream is just regular lactose-free ice cream, too!

And you know those fancy, over-priced dog collars they sell at the pet store? Just check out your local sex toy shop instead!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

:ssh: I think you'll find the people ones quite a bit more expensive.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Only the best for my furbaby.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

McDragon posted:

For a free dog, he's turning out to be quite expensive. :v:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Free dog. That's a good one.

(Suzy was "free" and blowing $1900 on an operation to remove a nut is only the latest thing we've had to spend money on)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The only way to have a free dog is to set it free. :colbert:

"If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, say goodbye to your checking account."

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A dog will always come back for breakfast though. :colbert:

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I've been inactive for a while on PI, but I did request to join the Facebook group. Initials are CC. I even have one of my cats in my profile picture! That counts, right? :shobon: Going to attempt to break my lurking habit here and also look at pictures of everyone's animals, ad nauseam.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

ButWhatIf posted:

This. Dog-specific polish is basically identical to human 3-free polish only in a smaller bottle and waaaay more expensive (unless you're using like Deborah Lippmann on your dog, which is crazy).

I've used zoya on my mom's dog. I even used some random super-glitter stuff on her nails once too and my mom wore it also so they matched :P

Honestly as long as the dog is good and sits still and you make sure they don't usually mess with their paws I would feel fine putting whatever nail polish on.

I don't do my own dogs nails except for maybe once or twice ever, but one of them has a habit of chewing his nails sometimes so I wouldn't ever paint his nails.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:cripes: I walk into the kitchen and Comrade's on the kitchen table half in his bag of dog food. I have no idea how he got up there (he is quite short and the chairs are incredibly tall and all of them were stuck under the table), but he's apparently an industrious little bastard. I guess he hopped and managed to squirm his way up somehow.

And Amy's got some weird swelling where her stitches were so the vet has me watching that for the next few days to see if it goes down. She was cleared to go run and play after she got them out and she's not acting any differently but ugh. Dogs. Stop.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
My kitten keeps bringing me a used gift credit card. He does it like it is extremely important for me to be in possession of the card. Apparently I need it. Remind me to never leave a real credit card laying around.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Brillig posted:

My kitten keeps bringing me a used gift credit card. He does it like it is extremely important for me to be in possession of the card. Apparently I need it. Remind me to never leave a real credit card laying around.

My mom's had both her knees replaced, so I run a lot of her errands for her. Whenever she gives me cash, her credit card, or a check, her psychotic little maltese goes bananas. If he can reach it, he'll actually try to grab whatever it is to prevent me from taking it. He has no problem if she hands me a water bottle, her Kindle, anything else, but if it's any type of financial instrument he just loses his mind.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

kazmeyer posted:

My mom's had both her knees replaced, so I run a lot of her errands for her. Whenever she gives me cash, her credit card, or a check, her psychotic little maltese goes bananas. If he can reach it, he'll actually try to grab whatever it is to prevent me from taking it. He has no problem if she hands me a water bottle, her Kindle, anything else, but if it's any type of financial instrument he just loses his mind.

Possibly picking up on subtle body language.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Clearly the thing to do is to redirect this drive to steal financial instruments from other people.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

AcetylCoA! posted:

Clearly the thing to do is to redirect this drive to steal financial instruments from other people.

Would he be willing to wear a little itty bitty bandit mask?

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
Hooray! Pictures of show birds!

A pair of racing pigeons.

Delicious meat chickens

Belgian Bearded d’Uccle chicken is showing off her beard

This guy is my fave. He is an Australian Performing Tumbler

I think this is another tumbler. They have the cutest faces :swoon:

A lonely frillback pigeon

In the process of working out what breed the pigeons are, I've learnt far more than I ever needed to know about pigeon breeds. I thought that there only existed sky rats and racing pigeons, but there are lots of exotic pigeon breeds all descended from the rock pigeon.
Tumbling pigeons are bred because they tumble and roll through the sky. Like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8eLn_h9FQ&t=31s
There are pigeons breeds developed for the ability to inflate their crops, chunky meat pigeons and pigeons that have purple metallic feathers.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

pseudomonas posted:

Hooray! Pictures of show birds!

:neckbeard:

This was my old girl:

She was a lovely fantailed pigeon. You can tell from that picture, but her feet was all feathery. We found the poor thing wandering around outside, probably a release bird that never made her way back home. Pigeon keepers are pretty lovely about not caring what happens to birds that get out.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Malalol posted:

I found this in the thread and I really like this made up dog.
http://www.bluebayshepherds.com/index.html

only one of their studs look 'wolfy' to me but oh man thats pretty.
I know that breeder, very lovely woman. From what she's told me/posted publicly is she wanted a sturdier GSD with blue coloration pretty much is the basic gist that kinda looks wolfy. No huge ears/deep dark eyes, a stronger frame with less extreme conformation, sounder hips, and softer temperament for a family dog. I think the blue GSDs are pretty, she had (?)2 pups imported from a GSD kennel in France (Legend of Darkness Kennels to begin her lines. I think the GSDs are bred to F5 wolfdogs, so there is wolf in them fairly recently but they won't be bred back to wolfdogs once breeding age. I gave up a while ago making blanket judgements on all breeders unless their website was basically a list of their dogs pedigrees, achievements in conformation and other activities, and scrutinizing every bit of them top to bottom--too much work and still doesn't tell me if they're legit. If they're trying to better a breed, create something sound with a purpose, and have a real passion for what they do and aren't goddamn retarded about it then let 'em breed. She's a conscientious breeder and has in mind to refine this into a breed, good for her, good luck. I think they're really pretty.
I wonder what's next... I saw an ad for "rare pinto wolf hybreds"(lol) so my dreams of owning a brindle-merle-piebald wolf are just beginning! :allears: I could even start my OWN breeding program and trademark my creation and make millions because that's exactly how breeding works

Also loving LOL I just discovered the 'breeder' girl in that Flight Rising forum is someone I literally just found out has followed my art for quite some years and remembers me. Ahh. Figures.

omg I want a fancy pigeon. How cool are those! Go, do my bidding, send my friends little notes attached to your legs!

kazmeyer your mom's dog is a miserly old bastard who probably owned a bank in his past life. That's so weird. I bet he is picking up on some tension, nobody likes having to hand their money over.

Ugh I finally check back in with SA/PI and everyone has moved to FB. :colbert: I can't time my reintroductions to forums at all. Here, I leave you all with a doped up Diaz immediately after getting stitches from an exposed screw under a table at the dog park in Raleigh. Probably was in 07 or 08. She couldn't function at all, she's laying on her tongue and doesn't look comfortable in the least.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That dog is singing "my body is a prison" in her head. 07/08... jeez, Diaz isn't that old, I know she's not.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

huskyjackal posted:

kazmeyer your mom's dog is a miserly old bastard who probably owned a bank in his past life. That's so weird. I bet he is picking up on some tension, nobody likes having to hand their money over.

We've kind of experimented with body language and tone, and that's not really it. Whether she's giving me her rent check to take down to the office for her, handing me her debit card to go pick up her meds, or giving me a five dollar bill because she heard the ice cream truck outside and wants a Choco Taco he flips out equally. If, by any chance, he doesn't notice the actual exchange and I show him the money in my hand, he flips out. Obie's just a weird dog.

Her other dog is a fat cocker spaniel named Tanner who's a genial idiot but absolutely terrible when it comes to food (thanks to her feeding him scraps all the time). The other day, Obie was having some arthritis problems so I thought I'd be nice and buy some of those stupid overpriced Cesar things -- "filet mignon", "porterhouse steak", "smoked bacon and eggs", "roast duck" etc. I brought them over, we gave them each one, they loved it.

The next morning, she and my brother broke out two of the "breakfast" entrees, and apparently Tanner went berserk. He scarfed his in a single bite and went after Obie's; when he couldn't get there fast enough, he went back and forth between the two empty bowls licking them frantically and making "hnngh hnngh hnngh" noises, then ran back to my mom's bedroom, threw himself down on the bed, and had conniption fit. Legs kicking, growling, proper tantrum, sheets and pillows everywhere. They tell me it went on for several minutes.

Apparently they put PCP in those things or something.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

huskyjackal posted:

From what she's told me/posted publicly is she wanted a sturdier GSD with blue coloration pretty much is the basic gist that kinda looks wolfy.
If they're trying to better a breed, create something sound with a purpose, and have a real passion for what they do and aren't goddamn retarded about it then let 'em breed. She's a conscientious breeder and has in mind to refine this into a breed, good for her, good luck. I think they're really pretty.

So just like every other fad GSD-based designer dog breeder plus every other husky/wolf-like designer dog breeder.

They literally look like every variety of GSD-mix I see at the park already and they can have almost any coat type or color plus there's no behavioral trait she's selecting for so I don't actually get what purpose is really behind this at all other than "something something blue GSD something blue something wolfy something blue something something." There's nothing on there about any genetic testing or purpose for breeding beyond some really surface aesthetics, so yeah chalk this up to yippee skippee a new fad linebred designer dog with both wolf hybrid and drivey shepherd ancestry so that people can say they have a "rare" breed.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

huskyjackal posted:

I know that breeder, very lovely woman. From what she's told me/posted publicly is she wanted a sturdier GSD with blue coloration pretty much is the basic gist that kinda looks wolfy. No huge ears/deep dark eyes, a stronger frame with less extreme conformation, sounder hips, and softer temperament for a family dog. I think the blue GSDs are pretty, she had (?)2 pups imported from a GSD kennel in France (Legend of Darkness Kennels to begin her lines. I think the GSDs are bred to F5 wolfdogs, so there is wolf in them fairly recently but they won't be bred back to wolfdogs once breeding age. I gave up a while ago making blanket judgements on all breeders unless their website was basically a list of their dogs pedigrees, achievements in conformation and other activities, and scrutinizing every bit of them top to bottom--too much work and still doesn't tell me if they're legit. If they're trying to better a breed, create something sound with a purpose, and have a real passion for what they do and aren't goddamn retarded about it then let 'em breed. She's a conscientious breeder and has in mind to refine this into a breed, good for her, good luck. I think they're really pretty.
I wonder what's next... I saw an ad for "rare pinto wolf hybreds"(lol) so my dreams of owning a brindle-merle-piebald wolf are just beginning! :allears: I could even start my OWN breeding program and trademark my creation and make millions because that's exactly how breeding works

On a scale of ha to I'LL SUE!!!, how mad do you think she would get if I jokingly told people Otis was a Miniature Blue Bay Shepherd?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

an expert posted:

On a scale of ha to I'LL SUE!!!, how mad do you think she would get if I jokingly told people Otis was a Miniature Blue Bay Shepherd?

Considering that the homepage says "If you see an animal for sale that someone is claiming to be a Blue Bay Shepherd ask to see the certificates of both parents. If they say the certificates are lost then call the founder at (561)-248-4610 as every single Blue Bay Shepherd born in the US or in France will have a registration number that can be verified" I'd be willing to place money on the latter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ButWhatIf posted:

"If you see an animal for sale that someone is claiming to be a Blue Bay Shepherd ... every single Blue Bay Shepherd born in the US or in France will have a registration number that can be verified"

Are they tattooed or something?

Speaking of badass animal tattos, Zoe has a spay tat on her saggy balding boobtummy. It's so fun to poke and wiggle. It's her tramp stamp :3:

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
One of my client's dogs is notorious for being a counter surfer. He left some eggs in a carton on the kitchen counter and sure enough, the dog managed to open up the carton and eat them all (shell, everything).

I'm not sure how dangerous that is but it seems like he is doing okay right now. I walk him in a couple of hours so I really hope I don't come in and see a sick dog.

Also my young male rat Segan has a strong urge to make nests. I give him shredded toilet paper and paper towels, but he still likes to go for articles of clothing on the floor and drag them into his cage, even it the clothes are 5 ft away.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Baika posted:

One of my client's dogs is notorious for being a counter surfer. He left some eggs in a carton on the kitchen counter and sure enough, the dog managed to open up the carton and eat them all (shell, everything).

I'm not sure how dangerous that is but it seems like he is doing okay right now. I walk him in a couple of hours so I really hope I don't come in and see a sick dog.

I would be really surprised if he had any problems other than maybe weird poops from eating something he's not used to.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably start laying eggs, though. If he's not fixed, they might hatch into puppies if you put them in an incubator.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
He might need some laxatives to help with the shell fragments, but other than that, raw egg is a pretty common thing that many people give their dogs. Lots of raw egg white can bind biotin, a B vitamin, and keep it from being absorbed properly, so keep an eye out for biotin deficiency, which usually displays in hair and skin issues.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bad Munki posted:

Probably start laying eggs, though. If he's not fixed, they might hatch into puppies if you put them in an incubator.

:neckbeard: This image just made me super happy.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I figured out how to get Sheila to not sit behind me, yelling and eating my hair when I'm writing/drawing:

Pull out the electric blanket.

cat it was 104 out today why are you even enjoying that

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Who here is an expert on canine locomotion and mechanics? I have a client right now that I'm doing a lot of treadmill work with (because she needs exercise but is completely batshit in the yard and fence-fights nonstop), and now that she's able to go about 15 sec between food rewards without hopping down, I'm noticing she's got kind of an odd gait. She paces rather than trots - that is to say, her two-beat gait has both feet on one side landing at the same time rather than the diagonals. Should I be at all concerned by this, or is it just another weird thing this dog does? I'm just worried it's coming from some sort of discomfort or unsoundness, because I've never actually seen a dog pacing before.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ButWhatIf posted:

She paces rather than trots - that is to say, her two-beat gait has both feet on one side landing at the same time rather than the diagonals. Should I be at all concerned by this, or is it just another weird thing this dog does? I'm just worried it's coming from some sort of discomfort or unsoundness, because I've never actually seen a dog pacing before.

You have found the mystical Gaited Dog. Breed the gently caress out of it and make BAJILLIONS.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

ButWhatIf posted:

Who here is an expert on canine locomotion and mechanics? I have a client right now that I'm doing a lot of treadmill work with (because she needs exercise but is completely batshit in the yard and fence-fights nonstop), and now that she's able to go about 15 sec between food rewards without hopping down, I'm noticing she's got kind of an odd gait. She paces rather than trots - that is to say, her two-beat gait has both feet on one side landing at the same time rather than the diagonals. Should I be at all concerned by this, or is it just another weird thing this dog does? I'm just worried it's coming from some sort of discomfort or unsoundness, because I've never actually seen a dog pacing before.

What breed is she?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My understanding is that pacing can be just a lazy gait. Notsoape would know better, but if may just be a matter of increasing the speed of the treadmill.

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003

a life less posted:

My understanding is that pacing can be just a lazy gait. Notsoape would know better, but if may just be a matter of increasing the speed of the treadmill.

Yeah my dog would pace towards the end of a long walk. Mechanically it's very energy efficient, there's a few studies in horses on it.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsowelp posted:

What breed is she?

She's a really staffy-looking pit mix rescue, about 3 years old they think. I haven't seen her pace in any other location than the treadmill, and since we're still working on the behavior it's not quite ready to have the speed cranked up yet,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catamar
May 23, 2008
Both of my dogs pace most of the time, but I think it's because they both prefer walk soooo slooooowly. They both trot when a cat's nearby!

• Locked thread