Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Wrist Watch posted:

Last time I played I ended up using the dupe trick (the one where you just hold the mouse button and open the map) to decorate my weapons. I remember only being able to put a certain amount on, and that as a ranger that worked out to basically just decorating things because the limit of 50 iirc was just too few to really make it significantly different.

Has that been changed at all or anything? Or can you put more blocks on other weapons or something? I've been thinking about playing again but the customization being so simple compared to what I remember hearing about really turned me off last time.

Well this exists, but I don't know that it does what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Kidswhoneedjobs posted:

Pretty close yes, even has bombs like Zelda though unfortunately they don't hurt mobs.
Bombs definitely do hurt mobs.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I would not be surprised if the DDOS on his site was only part of the the attacks made on him. He probably got spooked by people making death threats against him and his wife or something.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Humboldt squid posted:

I pretty much regret spending 20 bones on this.

I would not be totally truthful if I said I was glad to have made this purchase.

But the potential maaaaaaaaaan...

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

S.T.C.A. posted:

I would not be totally truthful if I said I was glad to have made this purchase.

But the potential maaaaaaaaaan...

I'd say I'm pretty glad that I paid for it, honestly. It was a whole lot of fun when all the systems were novel, and now I can just wait for more content to roll in since I already own the game for cheaper than whatever it'll be for a full release. It's a very pretty game that satisfies a lot of exploration urges, and the combat is a ton of fun and actually pretty rewarding to master. There's a lot of rebalancing that needs to be done, but if you just want to wander around, kill stuff, level up, and get loot, it's really good. Lord knows it entertained me longer than Torchlight 2 ever did.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'd say I'm pretty glad that I paid for it, honestly. It was a whole lot of fun when all the systems were novel, and now I can just wait for more content to roll in since I already own the game for cheaper than whatever it'll be for a full release. It's a very pretty game that satisfies a lot of exploration urges, and the combat is a ton of fun and actually pretty rewarding to master. There's a lot of rebalancing that needs to be done, but if you just want to wander around, kill stuff, level up, and get loot, it's really good. Lord knows it entertained me longer than Torchlight 2 ever did.

I just wish the running noise wasn't so grating.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

ToastyPotato posted:

I would not be surprised if the DDOS on his site was only part of the the attacks made on him. He probably got spooked by people making death threats against him and his wife or something.

It's either that or he decided to grab the cash and dash. There's really no excuse for the lack of communication at this point.

I've learned a lesson with games like this: if you're already willing to pay for an incomplete game don't come in with the expectation that it'll eventually be a complete one.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 2, 2013

Kidswhoneedjobs
Jan 16, 2013

Above Our Own posted:

Bombs definitely do hurt mobs.

Really? I just tried setting off about 6 level 40 bombs and another 10 level 30ish bombs next to a neutral hornet and it's health bar didn't budge. Do you have to aggro them first or something?

Nevermind just tried some aggro'd flies and it did hurt them, not really enough to make them worth using though.

Kidswhoneedjobs fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 2, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bathtub Cheese posted:

It's either that or he decided to grab the cash and dash. There's really no excuse for the lack of communication at this point.

I've learned a lesson with games like this: if you're already willing to pay for an incomplete game don't come in with the expectation that it'll eventually be a complete one.

I think this is the only game that I have gotten in an unfinished state that might actually never be finished. Mount and Blade, Minecraft, Towns, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, and Unreal Worlds have pretty much all delivered, or are still delivering, in my opinion.

There's a possibility he might come back, but a complete lack of communication makes it seem increasingly unlikely. I guess the lesson here is to not jump on an early access game unless the developers have establish a proper presence and active lines of communication with the audience.

But after all the poo poo he probably went through, I kind of don't blame him for walking away.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

ToastyPotato posted:

But after all the poo poo he probably went through, I kind of don't blame him for walking away.

He kind of set himself up for that mess though. There was a lot of pre-release hype for the game and only an idiot would've thought that running his own personal server for the store and downloads would suffice.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

SaucyLoggins posted:

He kind of set himself up for that mess though. There was a lot of pre-release hype for the game and only an idiot would've thought that running his own personal server for the store and downloads would suffice.

It's pretty much a fool's errand to not just let steam or GOG handle it for you.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

His entire development life on Cube World so far has been months and months of complete silence followed by short bursts of activity, this was a known fact before an alpha came out for purchase. No one forced us to just ignore that while throwing money at him. I guess I just don't really agree with the idea that every Alpha-purchase game has to follow these specific guidelines for how things are run just because it worked for these 3-4 other games.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, you're probably right, communication with your customers is just a fad. Customers just love it when you leave them in the dark on a product they paid money for.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

His entire development life on Cube World so far has been months and months of complete silence followed by short bursts of activity, this was a known fact before an alpha came out for purchase. No one forced us to just ignore that while throwing money at him. I guess I just don't really agree with the idea that every Alpha-purchase game has to follow these specific guidelines for how things are run just because it worked for these 3-4 other games.

They don't have to follow those guidelines. Any business can choose to be as unsuccessful as it wants.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He's been working on this game for two+ years, so I doubt its a scam.

There was no real timeframe given, for all we know it could be another two years until we see this thing finished. I got the impression that he felt pressured to release the alpha, but it wasn't something he really wanted to do. He certainly wasn't ready for it.

Just play something else for now. It's not like you didn't get exactly what you paid for.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, you're probably right, communication with your customers is just a fad. Customers just love it when you leave them in the dark on a product they paid money for.

You bought an Alpha product from a completely unproven developer that clearly wasn't interested in constant communication from the get-go. I wish he was more communicative as well, and I bought it but I didn't really have any illusions that he would suddenly open up and be super active, especially not after all the radio silence about store downtime. :shrug:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
With the lack of communication, it will be even more exciting when he comes out with some new big content patch out of the blue.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Brekelefuw posted:

With the lack of communication, it will be even more exciting when he comes out with some new big content patch out of the blue.

This is probably the best example of Poe's Law I've ever seen in threads like these.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Wrist Watch posted:

This is probably the best example of Poe's Law I've ever seen in threads like these.

One can always hope.

I'm not mad I bought the game. It is quite fun in its current form. I will check for updates every month or so, and maybe I will be surprised at some point with an update.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think this is the only game that I have gotten in an unfinished state that might actually never be finished. Mount and Blade, Minecraft, Towns, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, and Unreal Worlds have pretty much all delivered, or are still delivering, in my opinion.

Well, the thing with Minecraft is that the game kinda lost direction as more and more features got added toward the end. Development slowed down a whole lot and plans to add more elements to the base game itself dried up. If you decided to stick it out though, you could fall back on a game serviceable with mods, and this was a feature Notch made a point to support.

At least Cube World has people making a few mods currently, so maybe there will be people insane(ly dedicated) enough to overhaul it if it does end up abandonware. Obviously the lack of official mod support really really really sucks right now.

ToastyPotato posted:

There's a possibility he might come back, but a complete lack of communication makes it seem increasingly unlikely. I guess the lesson here is to not jump on an early access game unless the developers have establish a proper presence and active lines of communication with the audience.

Yeah, that's a bit more of a sensible way to think about it if someone's still up for the whole early access thing. It's really down to the devs' personality and maybe a degree of professionalism or simple social tact.

ToastyPotato posted:

That's one thing I thought about right around the time of the DDoS. Being harassed over a something you worked on for the past year sounds like a nightmare. It'd be cool to see him go public with if that's the case, though. Stories about people getting petulant and territorial enough to make threats over their cartoon block games would make for marketable clickbait.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

There was a good amount of hype built up around this game for a while. A ton of it has collapsed directly as a result of a lack communication and choosing not to voluntarily follow those guidelines or something equally as effective. There is nothing directly wrong with what he is choosing to do, but the fact is that his choices are resulting in him losing opportunities to make a lot more money off of this game.

Does he care? Who knows. I would.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

There was a good amount of hype built up around this game for a while. A ton of it has collapsed directly as a result of a lack communication and choosing not to voluntarily follow those guidelines or something equally as effective. There is nothing directly wrong with what he is choosing to do, but the fact is that his choices are resulting in him losing opportunities to make a lot more money off of this game.

Does he care? Who knows. I would.

While I agree with you, and it remains to be seen what impact this will have on the long-term success of the game, Magmarashi's statement also refers to something more immediately relevant to us as consumers: that it's extremely likely that the game is still being worked on.

Unless I've misunderstood some posts, there's people in this thread who actually think that Wollay may have taken everyone's money and dropped the project, just because he's continuing the exact same pattern of public interaction that he's done for the last however many years of the game's development. People were talking about this habit of his while people were still waiting to buy the game, it was repeated often, and what's happening right now is pretty much what I expected from day 1.

It doesn't excuse the flaws of the product, but it's pretty stupid to act like someone stole something from you because you didn't make the slightest effort to understand what you were buying into.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I don't think that he took our money and ran. I just think that there are more profitable ways to handle the situation.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cathair posted:

While I agree with you, and it remains to be seen what impact this will have on the long-term success of the game, Magmarashi's statement also refers to something more immediately relevant to us as consumers: that it's extremely likely that the game is still being worked on.

Unless I've misunderstood some posts, there's people in this thread who actually think that Wollay may have taken everyone's money and dropped the project, just because he's continuing the exact same pattern of public interaction that he's done for the last however many years of the game's development. People were talking about this habit of his while people were still waiting to buy the game, it was repeated often, and what's happening right now is pretty much what I expected from day 1.

It doesn't excuse the flaws of the product, but it's pretty stupid to act like someone stole something from you because you didn't make the slightest effort to understand what you were buying into.

He was not obligated to show any kind of communicative support for a product he had not released yet. Additionally this is the first game he has ever released. I think it is absolutely silly to expect the average customer to wade through someone's post history and then literally guess whether or not their posts per week will change before making a purchase. Any reasonable person could have expected that with the release of the game, he might have increased his internet presence, since he was now accepting people's money. Hindsight is 20/20.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Bathtub Cheese posted:

you could fall back on a game serviceable with mods, and this was a feature Notch made a point to support.

By obfuscating code every new patch, breaking compatibility, or by taking literally years to add an API?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

By obfuscating code every new patch ...
Oh god let's not start that again.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I wouldn't expect modding for this game to take off in quite the way it did for Minecraft.

Java bytecode and C++ binaries are very different beasts to reverse engineer, and Wollay isn't going to be releasing the source any time soon.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I checked in to see the game hasn't updated in ages. I'm ok with the slower, big patch approach to development and can understand avoiding a community of tens of thousands even though they should probably be paying someone to engage with them but at least post weekly blog posts.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Carecat posted:

should probably

Yeah, I can agree with this, however, I can't see it happening.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Wollay feeds on the tears of neglected nerds.

I'm quite content to hear from him when he has something to show; the time he spends doing community engagement and discussing the game is better spent actually working on it.
If he were to be more public about the progress and ideas he has for the game, he could easily paint himself into a corner or have even more people bitching about not meeting expectations.
The most people can legitimately complain about right now is his silence, so he only has to manage one expectation.

Notch threw out a bunch of ideas and made promises about features of Minecraft that have yet to see the light of day (lol API) and look how well that has worked out.
He shared all kinds of things, and was criticized to hell and back for the way he was using his time.

Does anybody remember this gem?

If I were an indie developer who had the fortune to be able watch the clusterfuck that emerged from Minecraft's community and people who have nothing else to do with their time but obsess over every detail of a game in development, I'd be pretty tight-assed about how I interacted with the public too. It's not like he's losing money doing it.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

tooterfish posted:

I got the impression that he felt pressured to release the alpha, but it wasn't something he really wanted to do. He certainly wasn't ready for it.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking. I bookmarked his site a looong time ago, in fact I just realized I had it on Google Reader for updates :smith:. Even in the early days it looked incredible; and while I didn't send him an email begging for an Alpha, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a huge amount of those. I figure he caved and decided to open it up long before it was closer to a finished game than he'd like, and had figured out a good way to distribute it.

Now he's had to deal with so much hassle he's missed a lot of time working on the game, probably because he listened to the community :v:

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Yes tell us more about your post purchase rationali... why paying customers shouldn't be treated as such :allears:.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have to ask this, but what did some of you do before twitter and such? Developers being open and communicative is still a VERY rare thing. It's pretty funny that some of you are basically willing to write a game off simply because a developer didn't coddle your OCD/Self Entitlement with a twitter post.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

I have to ask this, but what did some of you do before twitter and such? Developers being open and communicative is still a VERY rare thing. It's pretty funny that some of you are basically willing to write a game off simply because a developer didn't coddle your OCD/Self Entitlement with a twitter post.

I'm fine with the developer taking his time/not communicating much. I've played the heck out of this game and definitely gotten my moneys worth.
I'd rather have infrequent surprise updates of actual interesting content than a stream of tweets that I won't bother reading and half-assed updates that they have feel compelled to rush out.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Before developers were capable of updating customers with information, alpha versions of games weren't released for money.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Stanley Pain posted:

We did message boards and website updates? You do realize that twitter is just a modern iteration of something that's been around for 20 or 30 years.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SuicideSnowman posted:

Before developers were capable of updating customers with information, alpha versions of games weren't released for money.

Buying into an aplha is a risky proposition in the least, and comes with the HUGE caveat that the game is not anywhere near feature complete and your expectations should be significantly tempered. The final product will very rarely be what was initially envisioned by the developer or you for that matter.

Above Our Own posted:

We did message boards and website updates? You do realize that twitter is just a modern iteration of something that's been around for 20 or 30 years.

And yet, here we are 20 or 30 years later where having open communication with developers of games is a rarity and not the norm :)

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Not sure what that has at all to do with communication from the developer, but OK.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SuicideSnowman posted:

Oh, yes they were... you just weren't told before you bought them.

The way I see it I haven't purchased the alpha. I've pre-ordered the game and been given alpha access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
People aren't making unreasonable demands or anything. A simple progress update once a week or so (which would take as much time to put together as any post in this thread defending the lack of communication) is an obvious responsibility when you're selling a game in active development.

• Locked thread