Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

computer parts posted:

No, I mean if another administration comes to power they can reschedule it and then do what they like.

Also confessing that you did weed is almost never prosecutable or half of all comedians would be in jail now.

It will prevent you from getting a lot of government jobs though. Anyone have any thoughts on if this will change if it becomes legal federally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

No, I mean if another administration comes to power they can reschedule it and then do what they like.

Also confessing that you did weed is almost never prosecutable or half of all comedians would be in jail now.

Right, but theoretically at least if Obama said "Marijuana is now Schedule V" a doctor couldn't be prosecuted for handing it out until some other president changed it back. Example:

September 1, 2013: Obama deschedules Mary Jane
December 25, 2013: Dr. Feelgood prescribes it to a sick orphan
January 2020: President Jeb Bush reschedules Mary Jane as a Schedule 1 drug

Under that scenario, Dr. Feelgood couldn't be retroactively prosecuted or sued. Conversely -- unless I misunderstand something -- under this scenario:

September 1, 2013: Obama says "we won't prosecute or sue people over small amounts of MJ"
December 25, 2013: Dr. Feelgood prescribes MJ to a sick orphan
January 2020: President Jeb Bush says "gently caress hippies, we're prosecuting and suing the poo poo out of everybody"

Under that scenario, Dr. Feelgood would be hosed, because there would be a clear paper trail of him conspiring to distribute a schedule 1 drug to a minor.

Basically as I understand it, with descheduling, ex post facto protections would apply; with simply refusing to prosecute it they won't. So that's a significant difference.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This is great news, but I'm still pretty hesitant to celebrate. Can we take this to believe that now, as long as dispenseries in MMJ-legal states don't break any of those eight laws, then Obama will stop the various raids, etc?

At least, on strictly face value?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Link to DOJ memorandum: http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SgtScruffy posted:

This is great news, but I'm still pretty hesitant to celebrate. Can we take this to believe that now, as long as dispenseries in MMJ-legal states don't break any of those eight laws, then Obama will stop the various raids, etc?

At least, on strictly face value?

It pretty explicitly states that this is a guidance and can't be used as a legal defense by anyone, so if a prosecutor decides on his own to go after small players that are otherwise obeying the law they can.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This article from CNN has an admittedly vague paragraph on that topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/politics/holder-marijuana-laws/index.html
"some leeway from the justice department" doesn't exactly sound like the kind of strong footing a financial institution would want before entering into contracts with federally-illegal businesses.

So that situation is unlikely to change until federal law changes, which is probably to be expected I suppose.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Do I have this correct?

So Colorado goes forward with legal recreational weed, with a tax.

Tax money goes from the business that sold the weed, to the state.

Thus, because they are handling money obtained via a drug purchase, according to Federal Law, the entire state of Colorado is engaged in a criminal enterprise and the entire government could be held responsible.

Is that technically correct?

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

redshirt posted:

Do I have this correct?

So Colorado goes forward with legal recreational weed, with a tax.

Tax money goes from the business that sold the weed, to the state.

Thus, because they are handling money obtained via a drug purchase, according to Federal Law, the entire state of Colorado is engaged in a criminal enterprise and the entire government could be held responsible.

That's a very interesting way of thinking about it. Although, I'm not sure -- is this illegal under federal law? It may just be state laws that establish that someone who handles money from criminal activity knowingly also assumes criminal liability.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Am I the only one here who is OK with those 8 guidelines? I mean replace the word marijuana with alcohol, tobacco or whatever else and it still seems pretty reasonable. That doesn't work with "preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property", although I can understand that one as it's still illegal according to the federal government.

It seems like this thread wouldn't be happy unless pot was rescheduled tomorrow, which won't happen. Celebrate the baby steps kids.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mintskoal posted:

Am I the only one here who is OK with those 8 guidelines? I mean replace the word marijuana with alcohol, tobacco or whatever else and it still seems pretty reasonable. That doesn't work with "preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property", although I can understand that one as it's still illegal according to the federal government.

It seems like this thread wouldn't be happy unless pot was rescheduled tomorrow, which won't happen. Celebrate the baby steps kids.

Nope, I'm perfectly fine with the 8 guidelines as they all also fall squarely into line with the individual state laws. In a way, it'll kind of be the Feds enforcing the state's laws, as opposed to the other way around.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

InsomnicIneptitude posted:

That's a very interesting way of thinking about it. Although, I'm not sure -- is this illegal under federal law? It may just be state laws that establish that someone who handles money from criminal activity knowingly also assumes criminal liability.

I'd be kind of surprised if there weren't something like that in federal law.

Except governments "handle money from criminal activity" every time a drug dealer gets busted. Plus federal law explicitly states that illegal income is subject to taxation just like any other. So the legal case for prosecuting state employees here looks shaky at best.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if there weren't something like that in federal law.

Except governments "handle money from criminal activity" every time a drug dealer gets busted. Plus federal law explicitly states that illegal income is subject to taxation just like any other. So the legal case for prosecuting state employees here looks shaky at best.

Well, they're ostensibly taking money that was illegally taken out of the economy in a harmful way, and cannot easily be returned to its rightful owners(who also broke the law anyway), and putting it towards the betterment of the country. I realize how ridiculous this actually is in practice, but that's the justification in theory anyway.

They'll claim your 100,000 dollar house was purchased with drug money because you were busted selling 100 bucks of weed, but hey. Whaaaatever.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
In case everyone didn't know, about half of the states in the U.S. already have a marijuana tax law in effect. It's just that no one follows them. When you buy or sell cannabis in these states, you're supposed to affix a marijuana tax stamp to each purchase. Like these:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the alabama one has 'say no to marijuana' on it. :psyduck:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Devyl posted:

In case everyone didn't know, about half of the states in the U.S. already have a marijuana tax law in effect. It's just that no one follows them. When you buy or sell cannabis in these states, you're supposed to affix a marijuana tax stamp to each purchase. Like these:

Actually, federal law has exactly the same thing - they've simply been refusing to issue tax stamps since the law was passed.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cockmaster posted:

Actually, federal law has exactly the same thing - they've simply been refusing to issue tax stamps since the law was passed.

Actually congress repealed that law after it was ruled unconstitutional: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leary_v._United_States

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So, it seems like the announcement from Holder is a pretty big deal. My take is the Feds are basically saying, "States, do what you want, as long as you keep these 8 guidelines in mind".

Those guidelines seem pretty fair to me.

I figure this will unleash the flood gates with several other states passing full legalization laws in 2016 at least, and more to follow. I'd bet Alaska and Maine at least will be fully legal in 2016.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

redshirt posted:

So, it seems like the announcement from Holder is a pretty big deal. My take is the Feds are basically saying, "States, do what you want, as long as you keep these 8 guidelines in mind".

I figure this will unleash the flood gates with several other states passing full legalization laws in 2016 at least, and more to follow. I'd bet Alaska and Maine at least will be fully legal in 2016.

Doesn't Alaska have a legalization bill in the pipeline or something?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Lawman 0 posted:

Doesn't Alaska have a legalization bill in the pipeline or something?

Yup, for 2014.

mintskoal posted:

I am perfectly fine with the guidelines, I just think that a lot of advocates are completely jaded since Obama said that he wouldn't prosecute medical facilities that were in cooperation with the law, and then busted several facilities that were, etc.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

Every single person involved in the state administration of recreational marijuana could be charged personally. The individual bureaucrats interacting with the stores would be guilty of various drug trafficking statutes and the supervisors, managers and support staff above them could be held responsible via the RICO act because there's a clear pattern of criminal activity in their organization.

I'd be extremely worried about a change in administration leading to a change in federal policy if I was involved in administering the mess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

UberJew posted:

Every single person involved in the state administration of recreational marijuana could be charged personally. The individual bureaucrats interacting with the stores would be guilty of various drug trafficking statutes and the supervisors, managers and support staff above them could be held responsible via the RICO act because there's a clear pattern of criminal activity in their organization.

I'd be extremely worried about a change in administration leading to a change in federal policy if I was involved in administering the mess.

I would think they'd at least have an argument for official immunity, but yeah, nobody wants to be in a position where they only have an argument between them and federal drug conspiracy charges.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bureaucrats have a vested interest in protecting bureaucrats; no government is ever going to prosecute state officials for their role in decriminalized or legalized marijuana. For reference see how the Obama administration has protected Bush era officials from facing torture charges, it just isn't how our government operates. If someone has an example of any official facing prosecution for actions taken by the government I'll happily eat these words but until then I just can't believe it.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Squalid posted:

Bureaucrats have a vested interest in protecting bureaucrats; no government is ever going to prosecute state officials for their role in decriminalized or legalized marijuana.

Unless they want the official gone for other reasons. Then it becomes a nice convenient legal excuse to remove them from office, or threaten them into compliance.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

I agree that these seem totally fair and fit the state laws. And was already stated, Alaska has their bill in the pipelines already. Alaska currently doesn't have a law for cultivation of less than 25 plants or less than 4oz in your residence, so it isn't like personal growing and use is that huge of a concern to begin with.
http://norml.org/laws/item/alaska-penalties

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Joint letter of complaint from a variety of law enforcement organisations:

quote:

On behalf of the undersigned national law enforcement organizations, we write to express our extreme disappointment that the U.S. Department of Justice does not intend to challenge policies in Colorado or Washington that legalize the sale and recreational use of marijuana in contravention of Federal law. https://www.theiacp.org/portals/0/pdfs/FINALLawEnforcementGroupLetteronDOJMarijuanaPolicy.pdf

More coverage: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/police-eric-holder-marijuana-_n_3846518.html

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

SgtScruffy posted:

Yup, for 2014.

I am perfectly fine with the guidelines, I just think that a lot of advocates are completely jaded since Obama said that he wouldn't prosecute medical facilities that were in cooperation with the law, and then busted several facilities that were, etc.

Pretty much... watch preventing "revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels" be interpreted as any money going to businesses compliant with state laws when the DEA and US attorneys start targeting people who produce and sell legal marijuana, because it's still illegal federally and therefore criminal.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
I can't believe how many people are celebrating what amounts to the DoJ repeating what Obama said when he became President. Are you all so naive?

mintskoal posted:

There is no small step here. This is the same situation we've been in up until now. They will continue to ignore the end users and attack the distribution under the guise of protecting the children or whatever bullshit they make up.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

I can't believe how many people are celebrating what amounts to the DoJ repeating what Obama said when he became President. Are you all so naive?

There is no small step here. This is the same situation we've been in up until now. They will continue to ignore the end users and attack the distribution under the guise of protecting the children or whatever bullshit they make up.
It does mean something, because the DOJ could sue these states over these laws. They could mount a court challenge and kill this stuff before it even begins, but they have chosen not to do so.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

bawfuls posted:

It does mean something, because the DOJ could sue these states over these laws. They could mount a court challenge and kill this stuff before it even begins, but they have chosen not to do so.

Like I said, it doesn't change anything from how it's been. The threat of legal action is still there against medical users. All they've said is that they aren't pursuing legal action against the states themselves. Emphasis on the said because I think it's fair to say that words haven't been worth much from this administration w/r/t the drug war and marijuana legalization.

Either way... this poo poo:

rscott posted:

Well that's about the best outcome short of actually descheduling marijuana altogether.

mintskoal posted:

Is just comical.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

a lovely poster posted:

Like I said, it doesn't change anything from how it's been. The threat of legal action is still there against medical users. All they've said is that they aren't pursuing legal action against the states themselves. Emphasis on the said because I think it's fair to say that words haven't been worth much from this administration w/r/t the drug war and marijuana legalization.

Either way... this poo poo:

Is just comical.

Except that this is the first time anyone, anywhere has legalized marijuana for recreational use, and the DOJ saying "yeah, whatever" is absolutely a huge deal. But I suppose that's why you're such an awful poster?

e: Like, to expand upon this a little bit so as to balance out the snark: The worst case (and what I thought the most likely) was that the DOJ and Holder come down on the legalization process in the name of federal supremacy, or concerns over how well it would remain an in-state market, or any other myriad of potential complaints that they could have used to stop the law dead in its tracks. But they didn't! So yay for Obama, doing a not bad thing.

MODS CURE JOKES fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 31, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

KingEup posted:

Joint letter of complaint from a variety of law enforcement organisations:

More coverage: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/police-eric-holder-marijuana-_n_3846518.html

Not the most distinguished group of signatories.

rand
Apr 26, 2003
it's Colorado, so I'd guess "guns galore".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xandu posted:

Not the most distinguished group of signatories.

Please don't end our addiction to federal war on drugs funding.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Except that this is the first time anyone, anywhere has legalized marijuana for recreational use, and the DOJ saying "yeah, whatever" is absolutely a huge deal. But I suppose that's why you're such an awful poster?

They aren't saying "yeah, whatever". They're saying "ok, we won't sue you as a state, but we will continue to pursue legal action against the marijuana industry as a whole" (ps thats the situation we've been since Obama became President). Also it's not the first time anyone anywhere has done this, marijuana is decriminalized and/or legal in plenty of municipalities across the United States. Nederland for example, a town near where I am, legalized marijuana in 2010.

Snark is just the best when it follows factually incorrect statements. Maybe drop the personal grudge and do a little reading before you try to swing your hammer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a lovely poster posted:

They aren't saying "yeah, whatever". They're saying "ok, we won't sue you as a state, but we will continue to pursue legal action against the marijuana industry as a whole" (ps thats the situation we've been since Obama became President). Also it's not the first time anyone anywhere has done this, marijuana is decriminalized and/or legal in plenty of municipalities across the United States. Nederland for example, a town near where I am, legalized marijuana in 2010.

Snark is just the best when it follows factually incorrect statements. Maybe drop the personal grudge and do a little reading before you try to swing your hammer.

It is the first time it has been implemented on a state level (well, other than Alaska sort of) and states adopting laws like this can get things done surprisingly quickly as more and more sign on. Obama could have decided to bog down Washington and Colorado with endless legal challenges, which would make other states considering legalization like Rhode Island perhaps less enthusiastic about implementing it consideing that an expensive, embarassing, and prolonged legal battle against the federal government would be the price. He's not exactly helping the situation but he isn't crippling the movement either.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Jazerus posted:

It is the first time it has been implemented on a state level (well, other than Alaska sort of) and states adopting laws like this can get things done surprisingly quickly as more and more sign on. Obama could have decided to bog down Washington and Colorado with endless legal challenges, which would make other states considering legalization like Rhode Island perhaps less enthusiastic about implementing it consideing that an expensive, embarassing, and prolonged legal battle against the federal government would be the price. He's not exactly helping the situation but he isn't crippling the movement either.

I mean yes, he hasn't changed his stance at all. When municipalities legalized pot, he didn't come down on them. If the DoJ wasn't going to pursue Nederland, a town of 1,400 people, when they legalized, why would they ever go after an entire state? What I'm trying to say is that nothing has changed. This is the status quo. There is nothing to celebrate other than "well, poo poo didn't get worse". Is that really what we've been reduced to? Also, beyond all of that, we should all be very hesitant to celebrate words at all. Like I said, the Obama administration has said one thing and done another already on this issue, what makes you think they won't again? A memo? When has that ever stopped anyone?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a lovely poster posted:

I mean yes, he hasn't changed his stance at all. When municipalities legalized pot, he didn't come down on them. If the DoJ wasn't going to pursue Nederland, a town of 1,400 people, when they legalized, why would they ever go after an entire state? What I'm trying to say is that nothing has changed. This is the status quo. There is nothing to celebrate other than "well, poo poo didn't get worse". Is that really what we've been reduced to? Also, beyond all of that, we should all be very hesitant to celebrate words at all. Like I said, the Obama administration has said one thing and done another already on this issue, what makes you think they won't again? A memo? When has that ever stopped anyone?

The DoJ wouldn't pursue Nederland because they have a very high tolerance for what they would view as crank ordinances that don't change anything, but a state nullifying federal law is a totally different and much more controversial thing, just like a secession attempt by a town is ignored but a secession attempt by a state is serious loving business. And yeah, it's more or less a celebration of poo poo not getting worse but that was the only realistic outcome while the Very Serious People continue to consider support for legalization to be political kryptonite. I don't feel like it's a totally secure victory because Holder went out of his way to say that it's not and that prosecution could happen at any time if the DoJ feels it's justified, but it is a surprisingly pleasant bit of news for people who were gearing up for a nullification showdown, which the feds generally do not lose.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
So then why not pursue the medical programs when they first started. The federal government has a long history of NOT intervening in these matters. I agree, a state legalizing it completely is a new thing. But there was absolutely nothing to suggest that the federal government was going to try to get involved here. If the federal government was interested in avoiding the legalization of pot in Colorado and Oregon we would have seen that move long ago in response to any one of the steps that took place before this hugely publicised democratically decided on policy. It would destroy the administration's support in those states.

Granted, the only reason they AREN'T nullifying this is because of the overwhelming public support. It has nothing to do with science, progressive ideals, or achieving the best policy possible. Suing the state would be a nightmare for the federal government to put it lightly. And if the DEA can keep raiding people and justifying their budget, they probably don't give a poo poo too. Everyone gets paid, innocent people keep rotting in jail, and Obama carries on a long tradition of revolting ethics and poo poo leadership.

All I'm saying is that we should be cautious to label this a victory or a good thing. We were saying the same thing after Obama got elected and we know how that turned out. Let's wait and see what they actually do before we start praising the Department of Justice.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
CO and WA are fairly blue aren't they? You crack down on the democratically legislated legal weed and you run the risk of perhaps not turning them red, but possibly making making an entire new generation even more apathetic than they historically have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

CO and WA are fairly blue aren't they? You crack down on the democratically legislated legal weed and you run the risk of perhaps not turning them red, but possibly making making an entire new generation even more apathetic than they historically have been.

Colorado is a swing state that's been trending blue and Washington is a light blue state.

• Locked thread