Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

loving tumblr...

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE :ohdear:

What is that really a map of, you ask?

NOAA posted:

An excerpt from an ocean energy distribution forecast map for the 2011 Sendai earthquake, predicting the wave amplitude of tsunamis created by the earthquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
NY Prototype student robbed a CVS at gunpoint this weekend. For Ritalin.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

loving babby nukes

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So we get thirty days of leave when we leave prototype, how do they pay us for the move? Are they gonna pay my gas all the way back home then also to my ultimate destination? Can I stay in hotels the entire time? If I get a U-haul box truck to move all my stuff to home then another when my leave is up do they pay for both?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

So we get thirty days of leave when we leave prototype, how do they pay us for the move? Are they gonna pay my gas all the way back home then also to my ultimate destination? Can I stay in hotels the entire time? If I get a U-haul box truck to move all my stuff to home then another when my leave is up do they pay for both?

Your travel money and your move money are separate. If you move your own stuff, you get paid based on weight and distance. The amount you get is roughly 75% what it would cost the government to pay some company to move you. If you don't move your own stuff, you don't get paid for it. The government hires some company and pays them directly.

Your travel money is based on distance from your current duty station to your next one by the most direct route. The amount of time you spend getting there doesn't affect the pay. The amount you spend on hotels or gas doesn't affect the pay. If you take a detour, it doesn't affect the pay. You can also opt to take a plane ticket instead of getting paid to drive your POV, in which case you will get paid almost nothing.

Your leave is completely unrelated to your travel pay. If you stay in hotels for 30 days you will undoubtedly spend way more money than the government pays you to travel. The Navy assumes you can safely drive about 300 miles a day, so for a typical coast-to-coast move you'll get about enough money to stay 9 nights in a budget hotel plus 9 days of meals plus 3000 miles of gas money at like 25 mpg.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 29, 2013

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Or you could make the drive in 4 days like I did from Charleston to San Diego, and move in immediately(assuming you're married that is), and pocket a poo poo ton of extra cash. I think I actually made 3k off my move in total. If you're single though, gently caress, enjoy your 30 days and spend time at home, cause you're gonna be living onboard once you arrive.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

scripterror posted:

NY Prototype student robbed a CVS at gunpoint this weekend. For Ritalin.

Welp, first time in my career that I know someone who made it to the news.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Hobolicious posted:

If you're single though, gently caress, enjoy your 30 days and spend time at home, cause you're gonna be living onboard once you arrive.

If you're going to a carrier, that is. Sub guys get a barracks room (with roommates.)

You -can- do a compound move, where you move from prototype to next station and also from home of record to next station. That's only really worth it if you're married and your HoR is way out of the way, and you have a ton of stuff to move, and it's got a mess of downsides, so ask around before trying something like that.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Your travel money and your move money are separate. If you move your own stuff, you get paid based on weight and distance. The amount you get is roughly 75% what it would cost the government to pay some company to move you. If you don't move your own stuff, you don't get paid for it. The government hires some company and pays them directly.

Your travel money is based on distance from your current duty station to your next one by the most direct route. The amount of time you spend getting there doesn't affect the pay. The amount you spend on hotels or gas doesn't affect the pay. If you take a detour, it doesn't affect the pay. You can also opt to take a plane ticket instead of getting paid to drive your POV, in which case you will get paid almost nothing.

Your leave is completely unrelated to your travel pay. If you stay in hotels for 30 days you will undoubtedly spend way more money than the government pays you to travel. The Navy assumes you can safely drive about 300 miles a day, so for a typical coast-to-coast move you'll get about enough money to stay 9 nights in a budget hotel plus 9 days of meals plus 3000 miles of gas money at like 25 mpg.

So what I'm gathering is that the pay is basically fixed based on my weight slips and distance between commands so definitely don't sell my furniture before moving.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

ChewedFood posted:

So what I'm gathering is that the pay is basically fixed based on my weight slips and distance between commands so definitely don't sell my furniture before moving.

Be sure to transport your waterbed full. If you have a motorcycle that is also allowed to be loaded.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When I went through we were bump bump nudge nudge encouraged to engage in rather rampant fraud - buying five hundred pounds of sand and carrying it to get weighed then returning it, filling up water cooler water bottles and then emptying them on the other side of the weigh station, etc. Your honor, courage and commitment may prevent shenanigans like this from being an option. At the least, make sure to fill your gas tank up before getting weighed.

It's also not going to be any kind of gently caress you huge paycheck so weigh that (heh) against how hard and sleazy you want to work to maximize it. If selling your furniture means renting a smaller truck and burning less gas you could come out ahead.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

When I went through we were bump bump nudge nudge encouraged to engage in rather rampant fraud - buying five hundred pounds of sand and carrying it to get weighed then returning it, filling up water cooler water bottles and then emptying them on the other side of the weigh station, etc. Your honor, courage and commitment may prevent shenanigans like this from being an option. At the least, make sure to fill your gas tank up before getting weighed.

It's also not going to be any kind of gently caress you huge paycheck so weigh that (heh) against how hard and sleazy you want to work to maximize it. If selling your furniture means renting a smaller truck and burning less gas you could come out ahead.

Considering the Navy is going to be loving them for the next four years, they might as well get in one last poke.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Be sure to transport your waterbed full. If you have a motorcycle that is also allowed to be loaded.

So if I get a Uhaul won't it be the difference between my car empty and my car plus a uhaul plus my motorcycle in the uhaul plus my furniture? That seems like a rather large weight difference.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

So if I get a Uhaul won't it be the difference between my car empty and my car plus a uhaul plus my motorcycle in the uhaul plus my furniture? That seems like a rather large weight difference.

Your car doesn't count towards weight if you're towing it. You can weigh uhaul empty and uhaul full or uhaul + car empty and uhaul + car full but the weight ticket will list number of axles and it has to be the same on both tickets.

It's very easy to lose money hauling your own stuff if you're spending money to rent stuff. DITY isn't to hook you up, it's to save the government money.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Cerekk posted:

Your car doesn't count towards weight if you're towing it. You can weigh uhaul empty and uhaul full or uhaul + car empty and uhaul + car full but the weight ticket will list number of axles and it has to be the same on both tickets.

It's very easy to lose money hauling your own stuff if you're spending money to rent stuff. DITY isn't to hook you up, it's to save the government money.

If you are moving far and don't mind roughing it you can make some money. You do have to have stuff. The uhaul did take a large chunk of it but I did clear a bit thanks to the fact I had a lot of stuff and received a large per diem.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've seen a decent number of students get busted for this.

They ended up not being in the Navy anymore and not in the good way.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So buy a truck is what I'm getting out of this. Do they pay more based on gas receipts?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

ChewedFood posted:

So buy a truck is what I'm getting out of this. Do they pay more based on gas receipts?

Your gas is based off mileage from your starting point to the destination.

The more fuel efficient your vehicle is, the better you make out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This gets mentioned about this time every year but if you're going to Groton, or Ballston Spa over the winter, having a truck with decent tires and maybe 4x4 isn't a bad idea at all. In a bad winter the snow comes down much faster than it's removed, and depending on where you live snow removal might not happen at all until long after you have to be at work. I don't know if the PNW bases have similar concerns. For Norfolk this isn't an issue.

I bought a 4x4 Tacoma to replace my Camry for the move from Goose Creek to Ballston Spa and it saved my rear end several times that winter and over the course of several Groton ones.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

My '98 GTI VR6 did just fine in the winter in Groton and Portsmouth. It even made it up that big rear end hill to the barracks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

This gets mentioned about this time every year but if you're going to Groton, or Ballston Spa over the winter, having a truck with decent tires and maybe 4x4 isn't a bad idea at all. In a bad winter the snow comes down much faster than it's removed, and depending on where you live snow removal might not happen at all until long after you have to be at work. I don't know if the PNW bases have similar concerns. For Norfolk this isn't an issue.

I bought a 4x4 Tacoma to replace my Camry for the move from Goose Creek to Ballston Spa and it saved my rear end several times that winter and over the course of several Groton ones.

If you live in the PNW bases, and you have to deal with a snowstorm like you'd get in the Northeast, the state would be shut down for the week.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If you live in the PNW bases, and you have to deal with a snowstorm like you'd get in the Northeast, the state would be shut down for the week.

Snow was never an issue in the Puget Sound. Never once have I called the snow hotline and heard them call a base opening delay. :(
Up in Ballston Spa, they told us "If you can't drive in this poo poo, call us and we will get you. We're shutting down a month before you graduate and you aren't getting a break."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It all depends on where you live and how bad the winter is. I was in Ballston Spa for a pretty bad winter and lived in downtown Saratoga. I never had issues until I got close to base and had to deal with the less prepared cars sliding around and off the road. My roommates had a lowered Jetta and a lowered/nitrous Civic, they were constantly late and by the end of the winter their body kits were ruined. Guys closer to base were riding snowmobiles to work. Most winters aren't that bad.

In Groton we had one snowstorm bad enough that I made it to base but then high-centered trying to find a parking lot (not spot, lot) and just had to leave it there till morning. Our command was also a fan of having everyone come in to muster and then sending non-duty-section home because the roads were too bad. In Groton you're a lot less likely to deal with three feet of snow than you are four inches of dirty slush over an inch of ice, so anything with reasonable clearance with good winter tires will be fine. But remember that none of the locals either know how to drive in snow or maintain their vehicles at all, so you've still got to contend with them careening around, sliding backwards down hills, etc.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I never understood how locals are completely incapable of driving in foul weather of any kind, even though they've lived in the area for years. Retardation must be water-activated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The only locals who have been unable to flee southeastern CT and aren't Massapequoi are the ones crippled by long generations of inbreeding. Also the entire state is afflicted with a pathological hatred of their own cars, forcing upon them mismatched and bald tires, burned-up brakes and an array of burnt out lights. It's not like their driving is better in the warmer months.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 5, 2013

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Noeland posted:

Snow was never an issue in the Puget Sound. Never once have I called the snow hotline and heard them call a base opening delay. :(
Up in Ballston Spa, they told us "If you can't drive in this poo poo, call us and we will get you. We're shutting down a month before you graduate and you aren't getting a break."

A year and a half ago there was a foot and a half of snow in the lowlands in 3 days. poo poo was all hosed up.

White~Mage
Jun 19, 2002
When you are reporting to a new command, please call ahead and ask if they are in whites or blues. Do not be like the poor kid who showed up earlier this week in blues while all rest are in whites.

If you have a moustache you should shave it. No one looks good in one.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

White~Mage posted:

This is a false statement, shipmate.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

White~Mage posted:

When you are reporting to a new command, please call ahead and ask if they are in whites or blues. Do not be like the poor kid who showed up earlier this week in blues while all rest are in whites.

False, Freddie Mercury

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure I showed up in dungarees, because gently caress wearing a dress uniform on a submarine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

White~Mage posted:

Blues are always fine and at a real command no one is going to give two shits what you wore a week later. If you're talking a prototype I'm pretty sure they put out what uniform to wear probably before you even leave Charleston.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
My welcome package says reporting uniform is uniform of the day. I'll talk to my sponsor guy about it first, of course.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
How long will it take for the e5 exam to be graded because I will get NEC in two weeks (but I take the test tomorrow)?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

How long will it take for the e5 exam to be graded because I will get NEC in two weeks (but I take the test tomorrow)?

Results for the fall exam usually come out a week or so before Thanksgiving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And if you get advanced, unless your final multiple is within the top 15% you won't start getting paid until June of next year.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Why do SPU's hate students so much more than regular staff?

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
In my section, it depends on the student and the staff. I'm a hugger, so students don't piss me off....if they try. MM3 Shitbag shows up to watch having just got the pre-reqs earlier and doesn't know poo poo about the watch? There's gonna be hate. Sometimes it's just common sense. We HATE it when a bunch of us are in the shop and someone walks in a says, "Anyone have time for a checkout?" ASK US DIRECTLY! I will probably do it, even if I'm doing something. It kills me when someone walks in, asks one person, and then leaves, not even looking at the other 3 people standing there doing nothing. Nothing makes me angrier than when students don't take responsibility for their quals and expect us to hold their hand through it.

/rant. So much SPU salt on the ground right now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Why do SPU's hate students so much more than regular staff?

Sexual tension

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sexual tension

Maybe I should stop dressing so sexy.

I'm guilty of the being indirect thing. I'll knock it off. Had no idea addressing a group of instructors was a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah. Lemme know if that works out. It usually does. You are S8G right?

• Locked thread