Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

You'll be happy with that. 12V and 18V are where the action is and you'll have a lot more tool choices in the future. I haven't seen any of the manufacturers putting much effort into >18V (dewalt 20V is 18V). Now that you have batteries start looking at tool-only tools on ebay to add to your collection.

Also, you'll like the cordless circular. I've got milwaukee and it's great. Honestly cordless everything is great.

I have a 18V Ryobi cordless circular saw. It's good for sheet materials, and... ok for cutting 2x4.
To be honest, I wish it had slightly more power for 2x4, you kindof need to be quite confident in making the cut, cause if I slow down, then I've had the blade stop a few times when battery isn't almost full.

That said, I have their cordless drill and some gardening stuff, and those are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
thegasman2000, a 4.5" angle grinder will go a long long way. I have cut up to 1/2" plate with mine and probably could have cut 3/4" but at that point it becomes worth my time to bring it down to the steel suppliers shop and have them run it through the massive bandsaw in 5 minutes for $20 instead.

I usually use Heleta cutoff wheels because I can buy them in 100 quantity for 56 cents each on their website, I just stock up every 6-12 months. You can't even get HF wheels for that cheap and HF wheels warn you about cancer.

Wear your fuckin' welding gloves when you are using the grinders, BTW. And a full face shield or birth control goggles. And be mindful of where you're shooting the sparks.

I can't find it now, but I have a gnarly picture of my left index finger cut about 1/4 of the way through (I could see the bone!) because I was a dumbass and "just needed to cut two bolts" so I didn't bother with gloves.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 27, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Looks like I know what I am getting for my birthday now. The wife needs to be a little more sneaky and not use our joint "Internet Orders" email account. I've been complaining about the crappy life of my 2 remaining 18v Dewalt XRP batteries and had already bought a Dewalt 20v set with a drill and impact driver. Looks like she ordered replacements for all of my 18v Dewalt tools. I'll have to post pics when they come later today.

And this is what I got

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 28, 2013

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ShadowStalker posted:

Looks like I know what I am getting for my birthday now. The wife needs to be a little more sneaky and not use our joint "Internet Orders" email account. I've been complaining about the crappy life of my 2 remaining 18v Dewalt XRP batteries and had already bought a Dewalt 20v set with a drill and impact driver. Looks like she ordered replacements for all of my 18v Dewalt tools. I'll have to post pics when they come later today.

And this is what I got

I hope you acted surprised anyway.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

GEMorris posted:

I hope you acted surprised anyway.

I called her when the shipment came as I work about 50% from home and the package had my name on it. She said those weren't all my Bday presents and she wants something to give me on my birthday in October. I think it may be time to get that Festool Track Saw I wanted.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ShadowStalker posted:

And this is what I got

That's an impressive set. You know what the best tool in there is? The vacuum. At least for me it's the most used tool. Every job uses a different tool but they all make a mess.

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
I'm preparing land for a good sized vegetable garden and was able to pick up a 1950s Simplicity VC garden tractor with tiller, plough, grading blade, and snow blower. The old Briggs and Stratton engine starts up first pull, but the throttle is a little touchy. Figure I'll fiddle it into a good enough state to turn soil for next year, then worry about all the worn out parts in the winter.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

ShadowStalker posted:

I called her when the shipment came as I work about 50% from home and the package had my name on it. She said those weren't all my Bday presents and she wants something to give me on my birthday in October. I think it may be time to get that Festool Track Saw I wanted.

I splurged and got the TS55 a while back and I love it. Makes breaking down 4x8 panels a cinch but I still use my battery powered dewalt saw to cut lumber. The Festool cuts are better than any other circular saw I've owned but not as good my as table saw. Tear out isn't an issue, but the smoothness of the cut isn't glossy like it is off the table saw (still glueable right away though).

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
What's the best for cutting up chunks of tree that are four to eight inches in diameter? Reciprocating saw or sliding compound miter?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If it'll fit, then a miter saw is going to be far faster.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chainsaw.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Yeah, that's basically the raison d'etre of a chainsaw. And it doesn't have to be anything huge, I just cut up a 10" tree with a little 14" electric Harbor Freight dealie and it worked just fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

welp, bought the 18v version and two fat batteries for the same price as100 less than the 36 with a single battery so, welp, whatever. hope it works.

so i got the bosch 18v cordless circular saw. my impressions are:

2 of the fat 4ah batteries ought to last through a lot of sawing, like all day as long as you're not using it every couple minutes.

cuts are clean. harder to cut a straight line than with my corded. i think the intertia of the heavier saw smoothed out my jittery hands? i dunno. I still have to get used to it, but it's definitely gonna do the job. It's got a blade brake - finger off the trigger and the saw blade stops immediately, which is nice. There's a safety you have to press before it'll start which could stand to be about 1/2" closer to the grip. As it is, i have to loosen the grip to hit the safety, which isn't great.

it does spray sawdust right up in your face like wormil said the porter-cable one did. not happy about that.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
In part due to the facts that I am cheap and don't want to pay $850 for a Domino and because I don't really see the time-value equation in rolling my own tenon joinery by hand, I picked up a Beadlock on a whim. Once I got it dialed in and shimmed, it isn't half bad and allows for about a 3/64 amount of slop in the joint for alignment. My only annoyance is that my drill and bit to bore the holes takes way longer than I think it should. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a fast boring 3/8" drill bit?

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Anybody have experience with a JET 13" Planer/Molder (JPM-13CS)? Looks like they retail for $1120 or so. I've found one on Craigslist that looks to be in perfect condition for $800 or make an offer. Hoping I can get it for around $600. I don't know how much I would use the molder portion of it, but I want a decent planer.

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 3, 2013

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with the Harbor Freight 6" jointer, 30289? I have a line on one for $80. I see fairly positive talk about it, but I'm not sure I can get replacement knives.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked up this Bosch 1x12 tap for $6.50 shipped, smokin' hot deal. I'll be using it to thread faceplates and whatnot for my Goodell Pratt lathe. Got a 3/4x16 on the way for my Craftsman lathe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The tool restoration thread must have gone to archives so I'll post this here. Bought this old Stanley 9 1/2 to practice my restoration skills. My best guess is it dates from between 1930-1947. It was in bad shape, the seller didn't mention chips in the mouth and it had a heavy coat of white house paint under the lever cap (pic 3) but it was cheap enough at $4.50 shipped. I used a combination of muriatic acid for flat pieces, Naval Jelly for taller pieces, and a wire brush, to remove rust and old house paint. Then I neutralized with baking soda, degreased, then painted with flat black enamel. In the top left corner of the bottom pic you can see the brass piece which I cleaned and polished with 0000 steel wool. Tomorrow I'll lap the sole which should be quick as it looks very flat, clean up the sides and reassemble if the paint is dry enough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wormil, that is a steal for that tap. Where did you get it? I'm always looking to expand my tap collection.

Speaking of which I need to find out what size dana 60 spindle nuts and kingpin bolts and studs are and 1. order some then 2. buy a tap to clean the threads out on the steering knuckles. SWAG/eyeball says 1/2-20 or 9/16-18 UNF... time to google. e: google says a 3/4" hex nut would be a 1/2" bolt, so I guess it's probably 1/2-20. Excellent, I already have that tap.

Anyone know where I can get a 2" receiver mount for a bench vise? I can weld one up myself, but if I can find one for cheap I'd rather do that. Harbor Freight has one for $23 but it looks like it's made out of 1/8" sheetmetal, which is somewhere in between comical and woefully underbuilt for what I'll be doing to it. I'm looking for at least 1/4" gusseted or 3/8" or 1/2" ungusseted construction because this thing is going to get beaten on.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 9, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kastein posted:

Wormil, that is a steal for that tap. Where did you get it? I'm always looking to expand my tap collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251013043374?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The 3/4x16 came from here, $9.99 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360562237811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I don't know if these are good quality or not but I'm using them in wood so it doesn't really matter. Much cheaper than the Beall taps specifically for wood.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll trust the Bosch name for this I think.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Still need to clean up the sides but it's almost done.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

Still need to clean up the sides but it's almost done.

That's some fancy-lookin' toilet paper you've made there, boss.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

That's some fancy-lookin' toilet paper you've made there, boss.

Check out the full size thumbnail below... cleaned up the sides, flattened the sole, finished honing the blade. Leaves a surface like glass. The shaving doesn't even seem real, it looks and feels like plastic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's a tool for shaving snakes!

I bet it'd make incredible bacon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here got experience with splitting stones? Got some huge ones on my yard after blasting and they would make a nice wall to segment my yard into a lower and higher part. Looking at the plug & tap method to split them but it's the drilling part that has to come first that has me stumped. Any way to get to that without expensive powertools?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I want to build to to drill and tap holes in aluminium, how cheap can I go on a set of metric taps before it's not worth it? Am I dummy trying to drill using just a bench vise and hand drill?
e: whoops, should have included some specifics, maybe M2-M10 and probably only like 5-10mm deep.

Chubby Checker
Mar 27, 2004
David Hasselhoff Fanboi
I recommend just buying taps as you need them. Buying a whole set will get you a bunch of lovely taps, 80% of which you'll never use. I buy mostly Greenfield and Union Butterfield taps. Tap Magic is good for aluminum.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the wizards beard posted:

Am I dummy trying to drill using just a bench vise and hand drill?.

bench vise no, hand drill yes.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

rotor posted:

bench vise no, hand drill yes.

Is it an issue with keeping the drill perpendicular, or does a cordless not have the grunt to do the job?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Keeping it straight is going to be annoying but you can do it with a steady hand.

A hand drill is a very different thing from a cordless - depends on the cordless, really.

Also, do not buy harbor freight taps. You are better off filing slots in a grade 8 or ISO PC 10.9 grade bolt than you are trying to use a harbor freight tap.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So after some storms and trees falling I'm in the market for a chainsaw. What's the best, lowest maintenance one out there?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Chainsaw-Survival-Tool-Carrying/dp/B000LNQA50

It might not be the best, but there is no such thing as a low maintenance chainsaw. Maybe an electric, if you don't mind hauling a long cord around. No matter what kind, you have to keep the chain sharp or you'll work much harder and get increasingly frustrated. I have both Stihl and Husqvarna, and have heard good things about Jonsered. Other brands are mostly hit and miss. Perhaps someone who has one can speak up and make a recommendation.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I used to live in a cabin that was heated primarily with wood in Fairbanks, AK. It gets down to -40F regularly in the winter and will stay that way for a month or two, so I'd say I went through "a fair amount" of wood. My 18" Poulan did absolutely just fine with a minimum of fuss. I also use that same chainsaw now for logging up the occasional hardwood log and even milling boards out of them and while ripping is a chore, I can still get the job done. The saw is now a decade old and still performs just fine in spite of practically no maintenance beyond making sure it has its fluids. I do have a benchtop grinder-style chain sharpener, though, which makes a world of difference.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 17, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

I used to live in a cabin that was heated primarily with wood in Fairbanks, AK. It gets down to -40F regularly in the winter...

Whatsup AK buddy :hfive: Lived there for 8 years, based in Anchorage but traveled all over the state and spent many cold nights on Fort Wainwright.

Here is a bunch of calipers I bought for $15 shipped.
From top left: Goodell Pratt, Union, Union, Hilger and Sons, Unmarked

This little Hilger dates between 1848-1890's. Unfortunately some of the threads are stripped.

Also I sold that Stanley 9 1/2 and bought a Craftsman that looks identical except for the color. The Craftsman is in excellent condition and complete, not here yet though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the wizards beard posted:

Is it an issue with keeping the drill perpendicular

mostly. also unlike drilling, tapping is a slow(ish) process. you typically run the tap in 3 turns then out 1 to break the chips, then in 3 more, and so forth. power tappers exist but I dont see how they'd be anywhere near worth it unless you're making parts commercially.

just use a decent tap wrench, or chuck the tap into a drill press and turn the spindle by hand, or some drat thing like that there. use lube.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here's a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILXWdcS_hU

i could watch this guys youtubs all drat day long.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

kastein posted:

Keeping it straight is going to be annoying but you can do it with a steady hand.

A hand drill is a very different thing from a cordless - depends on the cordless, really.

Also, do not buy harbor freight taps. You are better off filing slots in a grade 8 or ISO PC 10.9 grade bolt than you are trying to use a harbor freight tap.

Yes, sorry, I meant a cordless. I have a cheapish Bosch that I've used for drilling boxes like this, but never anything thicker. I've only ever used HSS drill bits and WD-40 as a cutting fluid.

rotor posted:

mostly. also unlike drilling, tapping is a slow(ish) process. you typically run the tap in 3 turns then out 1 to break the chips, then in 3 more, and so forth. power tappers exist but I dont see how they'd be anywhere near worth it unless you're making parts commercially.

just use a decent tap wrench, or chuck the tap into a drill press and turn the spindle by hand, or some drat thing like that there. use lube.

Cool, I had meant using a cordless for drilling and a tap wrench for tappin'. I don't have access to a drill press right now so I had been hoping I could get by with the cordless and a tap wrench.

I'm in Europe so HF isn't an option, I will probably end up getting a few taps and a wrench from Amazon. I might look for a used tap wrench if anyone has any recommendations.

Also Tubelcain is awesome, I've been picking up a lot of stuff from those videos.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 17, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oic, makes sense.

wd40 is fine as a cutting fluid if you're not going to be doing a lot of it. My understanding is that it's mostly kerosene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Also I sold that Stanley 9 1/2 and bought a Craftsman that looks identical except for the color. The Craftsman is in excellent condition and complete, not here yet though.

What was your profit on the plane if you don't mind my asking?