Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Veotax posted:

Square likes to set unrealistic sales targets for it's western arm so they can lay the blame for for the company's falling profits to someone other than the Japanese arm.

This year's Tomb Raider 'underperformed' when it was the biggest selling game in the franchise. While Final Fantasy XIV was such a loving disaster that they cancelled the game, after release and made it again with a new team.

That's hilarious, and after reading the Japanese politics thread in D&D it sounds completely true :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sleeping dogs was a massive success as well and there odds of it getting a sequel are low as well. :smith:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

CJacobs posted:

f they gave you the same amount of EXP for both then there'd be no benefit at all to being stealthy besides saving cash on having to buy ammo for your six shotguns and exploding tracer bullet revolver. I do think it should be weighted toward stealth, just not as heavily as it currently is.
And that's the way it should be. Metagaming ("How much XP will I get for this?") shouldn't affect moral decisions ("Do I want to kill this guy?") like that.

Ironically enough, the original DX is one of the few games that get it (mostly) right.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Personally I did find myself having to strike a balance between lethal and nonlethal takedowns, if only because in the event of someone finding a body, I'd rather be fighting one alarmed guy rather than an alarmed guy and his buddy that he just kicked awake.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zedd posted:

Sleeping dogs was a massive success as well and there odds of it getting a sequel are low as well. :smith:

Which is hilarious because Sleeping Dogs and DE:HR are two of my favorite games of the past few years.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Meanwhile, SE has announced a multiplayer Legacy of Kain game that is PROBABLY a MOBA. I really don't like the direction they're going in and I'm just waiting for them to announce they have a Deus Ex f2p multiplayer only game in the works.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AlmightyBob posted:

Meanwhile, SE has announced a multiplayer Legacy of Kain game that is PROBABLY a MOBA.

What? Why? I thought you were trolling but then I googled it. :psyduck:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
MOBAs are "in" right now, even Dead Island is getting one I believe.

(They're all going to fail horribly)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CJacobs posted:

The reason it's so weighted toward stealth is mostly because the game's intended for you to play that way, but also because ghosting is definitely harder than going in guns blazing. If they gave you the same amount of EXP for both then there'd be no benefit at all to being stealthy besides saving cash on having to buy ammo for your six shotguns and exploding tracer bullet revolver. I do think it should be weighted toward stealth, just not as heavily as it currently is.

That's the entire argument though. The game shouldn't be intended to be played in one way over any other. That's the entire appeal of a Deus Ex game in the first place. This isn't Thief or Hitman, it's Deus Ex. All types of gameplay in this game should be equally encouraged and thus equally rewarded, and equally challenging if it can be managed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The type of player who wants to ghost in a single-player game is already rewarded by ghosting. For a single-player mode, that's enough.

DeathChicken posted:

Personally I did find myself having to strike a balance between lethal and nonlethal takedowns, if only because in the event of someone finding a body, I'd rather be fighting one alarmed guy rather than an alarmed guy and his buddy that he just kicked awake.
I only killed Belltower scum.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

CJacobs posted:

but also because ghosting is definitely harder than going in guns blazing

As a player who ghosted the first playthrough and am now trying the guns blazing approach, I can confidently say you've not tried shooting your way through the game. The weapons are underpowered, enemies are well armored and have spastic moving animations making headshots a challenge, and AJ is almost comically fragile.

I guess an additional challenge of going through the game guns blazing is that you have to deal with only getting about 1/3 the experience, so you can't max the augs you really need before leaving detroit.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 27, 2013

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Just like when WoW was super successful and everybody tried making an MMO, people are looking at League of Legends and Dota 2 and thinking "We can do that!"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Red Red Blue posted:

Just like when WoW was super successful and everybody tried making an MMO, people are looking at League of Legends and Dota 2 and thinking "We can do that!"

I had no idea this even existed, but according to this, it's not going to be a MOBA. It's still going to be online deathmatch or whatever though. Since everyone fondly remembers Legacy of Kain's fantastic combat, right guys?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Everyone who buys FF14 is a bad person. :colbert:

Demiurge4 posted:

That's hilarious, and after reading the Japanese politics thread in D&D it sounds completely true :allears:

It's really Japanese culture in a microcosm. :v:

SE needs it's Western side to make up for the failings of the eastern one's failings.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Square is headed to an early grave and my only hope is that some of its IP's can pulled out of the fire when it goes down

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So this was just posted on the Deus Ex facebook page:

Doesn't take too many levels of extrapolation to see that The Fall flopped Hard if that's their number for what's probably one of the most popular augments.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Welp, The Fall didn't do good obviously that means nobody wants anymore Deus Ex games in any form ever from now on. Pack it up Deus Ex team you're all being repurposed to making more cool execution mini-cutscenes for Garrett in Thief 4.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Sardonik posted:

So this was just posted on the Deus Ex facebook page:

Doesn't take too many levels of extrapolation to see that The Fall flopped Hard if that's their number for what's probably one of the most popular augments.

While I want to be *absolutely clear* that I'm not some dude that must defend modern DX at all costs[1], I will at the least note that... I can't recall any instance where the CASIE aug, or lack thereof, meant a single iota of poo poo in The Fall :haw: And by that I conclude... Uh... That for all its faults, I want another DX on PC. Hintety-loving-hint.

[1] In terms of modern games that have endeavoured to reconceptualise stealth-action, Dishonored did it better than DX:HR (or The Fall), by a country mile, in my opinion. 4xDX:HR runs vs. 10+xDishonored runs proves it :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how Dishonered "reconceptualized" stealth, the main thing it has that others doesn't is the blink power and while awesome it's not really a fundamental sea change.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure how Dishonered "reconceptualized" stealth, the main thing it has that others doesn't is the blink power and while awesome it's not really a fundamental sea change.

Thats a fair point. I mistated my thoughts. Loving both DX:HR and Dishonored as I do[1], I was pondering why I liked Dishonored more, from a mechanical and world perspective. Both games support common whales of stealth-action gameplay, and both aim to provide 'true stealth' without *requiring* it. That is to say, if you gently caress up the ghosting, you don't have to reload (unless you want to).

But in terms of suppporting the different approaches, I do feel that Dishonored did a better job. In a recent discussion (not here) I used the humble vent as an example. In Deus Ex you have random-arsed vents that link particular areas together in a way that doesn't make any sense in 'world' terms', in order to support the 'stealth' pillar, whereas in Dishonored the various ways of gaining access had a better sense of verisimilitude. They were facets of the gameworld more fully realised, and more convincingly implemented. They generally made sense with respect to the world of the game.

[1] To be clear, I love the crap out of both games. Own all the DLC. Repurchased them both when I moved from 360 back to PC gaming. Eager for more content. I mean, gently caress, I damned it all to hell and nabbed an iPad just to check The Fall out!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I see what you're getting at. Dishonored felt like a much more pure, "sneak around and oh poo poo don't let that guy see you" stealth game whereas DX:HR felt more like a traditional cover shooter with timing based stealth puzzle elements.

It's hard to describe, but that excited, hope-I-don't-get-caught feeling you get when you're hiding in real life is a lot more apparent and powerful in Dishonored.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really no fan of cover shooters so having to stick to cover 90% of a fight because 2-3 hits could kill you always rubbed me the wrong way, which further convinced me to go the stealth route again.

Cheekio posted:

As a player who ghosted the first playthrough and am now trying the guns blazing approach, I can confidently say you've not tried shooting your way through the game. The weapons are underpowered, enemies are well armored and have spastic moving animations making headshots a challenge, and AJ is almost comically fragile.

I guess an additional challenge of going through the game guns blazing is that you have to deal with only getting about 1/3 the experience, so you can't max the augs you really need before leaving detroit.
Yeah that was my experience too. Someone who wants to do both styles in the same playthrough should start with a pacifist/ghost (or attempted ghost) attitude and switch to gunman mode in the second half with the augs and other upgrades they got from the easy start. I remember doing it the other way around and starting the game with the intention to be more direct and violent (unlike I usually play those games) and it was pretty bad for quite a while to the point I went back to my usual stealthy ways which constantly felt more rewarding, more satisfying and even faster.

I get that a lot of games do it wrong by making stealth a slower, less effective or at least less satisfying option (that also partially applies to Dishonored - it's obvious they only added it late in development, because all the fun upgrades are for violent, loud fights) which makes it feel gimmicky. DXHR went way too far the other way, though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

orcane posted:

Yeah that was my experience too. Someone who wants to do both styles in the same playthrough should start with a pacifist/ghost (or attempted ghost) attitude and switch to gunman mode in the second half with the augs and other upgrades they got from the easy start. I remember doing it the other way around and starting the game with the intention to be more direct and violent (unlike I usually play those games) and it was pretty bad for quite a while to the point I went back to my usual stealthy ways which constantly felt more rewarding, more satisfying and even faster.

This isn't all that far removed from criticism about the first few levels of the first Deus Ex, so I think it may have been an intentional design decision. But I do agree with you--for a game that was about "four pillars of gameplay" (stealth, hacking, combat, and social) two of those pillars are a bit stronger than the others.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
I wish there was some word on this, I want to replay Deux Ex but I don't want to have to replay it again in short order when the directors cut comes out.

:ohdear:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I want Square-Penis to stop being such dicks :v:

Question: where did that HUMN RVLN Tiger LCD handheld (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGKfTzHSPc) come from?

e: I want Thief 3 :(

(or III, whatever)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It says at the end that Everdraed made it for the forums in 2012...

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Marx posted:

I wish there was some word on this, I want to replay Deux Ex but I don't want to have to replay it again in short order when the directors cut comes out.

:ohdear:

I'm in the same boat. It's about time for my yearly playthrough.

But until then I'm contenting myself with the Assassin's Creed II trilogy (which I've never played). Yeah, I know, [img-timeline], and it's not even remotely close to DX, but it does scratch that observe/plan/execute itch, even if the Abstergo alien plot is loving absurd.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Which one of you did this?

http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/post/60468535928

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
It was made by Just Offscreen. It's a shame their new Community Manager doesn't know his history: http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/deus-ex-augmentation/7/ (or just didn't bother to source a re-Tumblr or whatever reposting something there is called :v: )

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Tecman posted:

It was made by Just Offscreen. It's a shame their new Community Manager doesn't know his history: http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/deus-ex-augmentation/7/ (or just didn't bother to source a re-Tumblr or whatever reposting something there is called :v: )

They did take the trouble to edit out the SA logo though!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Big announcement just hit facebook:
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex?theme=deusex

quote:

The Future Vision for Deus Ex
Posted by David Anfossi

As promised, I'm back to share more news about our Eidos-Montreal studio and what the teams are working on here. We currently have several games in development including the upcoming Thief, but today I will focus on two particular announcements both relating to the future of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a critical and commercial success, and from this game an amazing franchise has been revived. We are fully committed to Deus Ex here at Eidos-Montreal, we’ve already learnt so much and we have many new ideas for the future that we are actively working to develop.

So first up, I am delighted to announce that we have confirmed a ship date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. We will be releasing the game on October 22 (25 in PAL regions) on the Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Over the last 18 months, the team has been working very hard on the development of the Director’s Cut. With this edition, we gave the team the envious task of pushing the boundaries of innovation and creativity to explore something we believe will become a big part of the future of the franchise, the second screen experience. When the game launches, players will have the opportunity to experience Human Revolution in a new and unique way through SmartGlass, the PSVita and the Wii U GamePad. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the Deus Ex forums.

And we are taking things further.

I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

For now, I hope you are excited about the future of this game that we love so much. Deus Ex is coming to next-gen, it’s early so don’t expect to hear much more from us just yet, but I wanted you to know.

I'm very excited as a developer and gamer!

So it looks like they haven't completely betrayed the IP, though it doesn't look like they learned their lesson with the failure of The Fall. Good that we have a new PC game on the way though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So it's a whole lovely cross-media event like EA did with Dead Space? And they seriously think they can profit from that? This just seems like another "oh this game sold 5 million copies, what a complete failure" type situation because they're spending way too much money on marketing and bad comics/cartoons.

But fine, whatever, just announce a new game already.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The directors cut has a new game+? Aww man, I wish they'd let people who've downloaded the original just upgrade, that sounds like a huge amount of fun to totally break the game.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

But fine, whatever, just announce a new game already.

If you actually read the quote, it says they're working on a new game. The 'Universe' fluff is just a very dumb way of saying the franchise will also be expanded via media other than games.

quote:

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

Also the first piece of concept art:

grimdarkkrieg
May 12, 2009
"Deus Ex: Universe" just makes me fear the worst ie. an MMO. I know what they're saying in the post, but I dunno if I can trust those guys after all the Fall shenanigans! Please be a real game.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

grimdarkkrieg posted:

"Deus Ex: Universe" just makes me fear the worst ie. an MMO. I know what they're saying in the post, but I dunno if I can trust those guys after all the Fall shenanigans! Please be a real game.

Ditto. And please make the Director's Cut of HR a free upgrade because, come on. Those boss fights were so bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Supernorn posted:

If you actually read the quote, it says they're working on a new game.

That's not an announcement and it doesn't tell us anything.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

That's not an announcement and it doesn't tell us anything.

It's a confirmation that they are making a Deus Ex game for PC and next gen consoles instead of some ios touchscreen nonsense?

But yes, nothing. :downs:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grimdarkkrieg posted:

It's more likely to be a MOBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Supernorn posted:

It's a confirmation that they are making a Deus Ex game for PC and next gen consoles instead of some ios touchscreen nonsense?

But yes, nothing. :downs:

Which isn't a surprise, considering they've been working on something since the last game was released? Also you mean to say this is video games and there's a new entry in a franchise? Holy poo poo, get outta town. This is a complete non-story - all they're doing is announcing a new branding strategy. It's typical publisher marketing horseshit, and we shouldn't buy into it. Based on that Legacy of Kain announcement I hope you'll forgive me for not jumping out of my seat until we know exactly what this is. For all we know it's a loving MMO.

Edit: If you think about it, all we can be certain of from this announcement is that there will be more stuff like The Fall :downsbravo:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread