Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just got emailed by a recruiter, wanting to call me about a specific position. By coincidence, I had been generating a cover letter and brushing up my resumé for a different position at the same company. The one I had seen I think I'm a much better fit than the one she contacted me about. How do I bring this up during the phone interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Long story short, I'm applying for a job I will probably get an interview for, but there's one hitch that could mess me up in the interviews in that the job wants people to, "Understand lease language and apply them". I guess I can say the job is for a large clothing retailer, and that I already am working there and trying to move up/around within the company. My question is where can I learn about lease language for a company like this so that I won't look like a fool in my interview. Thanks in advance.

I should also mention that the job is a Financial analyst position so I don't need to know the ins and outs, just some of the language.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 28, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a general guideline for how long it takes an employer to get back to you after interviewing? I interviewed at a place last Monday (so nine days ago) ago and another one last Wednesday (seven days), both of which said they'd get back to me "early [this] week". I e-mailed both yesterday morning to see if any decision was made and to re-express my interest, yet I haven't heard anything from either of them. Am I jumping the gun or should I actually be worried? Is this what being hellbanned feels like? :smith:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 28, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It depends. We are terrible about it. Someone in HR or in the hiring chain goes on vacation, and things get ground to a halt. It can take a week or so for us to get the offer paperwork together for someone we want to hire. Today is a little early to be worrying. Maybe worry if you haven't heard by Friday.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

Thanks, this is great. I do have a few questions on it though.

Regarding comment #10, My official job title is "mechanic", though I also perform almost all of the general maintenance and am the only IT guy in the building. Should I just leave it at "mechanic", even though I mostly list my IT work in the experience section? I guess this also applies to comments #14 and #16. They also list the department I worked in and/or what my title was during that work, and both of those companies are extremely recognizable once you know their names.

For comment #12, the business is a bowling alley, and the name of the business would make that very clear once added back in. Should I still be reinforcing that in the accomplishments, or is it fine when left in the title of the business?

As for the rest, I'll work on what you've suggested.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

It depends. We are terrible about it. Someone in HR or in the hiring chain goes on vacation, and things get ground to a halt. It can take a week or so for us to get the offer paperwork together for someone we want to hire. Today is a little early to be worrying. Maybe worry if you haven't heard by Friday.

I actually heard back from one just now!
They turned me down :( And poured salt in the wound by telling me that I was a "finalist" in their discussion. That's the absolute worst, because there's never any indication on what you could have done differently to actually get the job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You can't take that personally dude. It often comes down to two or three candidates and sometimes one is just a little bit more qualified than the others and that's who you go with. Don't get discouraged, there's a chance they might call you back if things don't work out with candidate #1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

You can't take that personally dude. It often comes down to two or three candidates and sometimes one is just a little bit more qualified than the others and that's who you go with. Don't get discouraged, there's a chance they might call you back if things don't work out with candidate #1.

Well obviously it's not personal, it's just frustrating to hear "hey we're not giving you the job, but we almost did!" and then you don't know if that's due to something you did (or didn't do) on the interview or some lacking qualification or whatever. It's just been a long summer of fruitless job hunting with a lot of drama resulting from me being unemployed, and not a lot else to take my mind off of unemployment. I'll save it for E/N though.

At least now I don't risk the situation of hearing back from both and having to turn down the guys that just rejected me, since the other job has better pay and more hours (and more career growth)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 28, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I have interviewed with four different companies in the past week. I felt that 2 of the 4 went well, 1 went pretty well, and 1 was just okay. The two that I thought went well are also the 2 I am most interested in, whether that had something to do with how the interview proceeded or not.

The first was a week ago, the hiring manager gave the usual "okay we still have a couple more interviews scheduled, I'll get back to you next (this) week." The 2nd was just today. I sent thank you letters to everyone after the interviews.

I am getting anxious to hear back from the first job, so I sent a follow up email inquiring about the position etc. The second job I won't inquire about until sometime next week, if I don't hear back sooner.

Now I play the waiting game. Goddamn I hate the waiting game. The last time I played the waiting game, I felt the interview went very well and the drat HR lady never replied to my email inquiring about the position. I am fearful that could happen again and it's making me anxious.

My question is: when you're interviewing someone and you think you might make that person an offer or bring them back for a second interview, do you still say the typical "still have others scheduled to interview, will get back to you.'?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'd like to get some pointers for my fiancee's resume. She's in the Design portion of newspapers (copy editor is her current job). She's looking for a job here to come live with me so I'd like to get her something she'll benefit from. Any blank spaces are removed personal information she's not comfortable with giving out online.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'd like to get some pointers for my fiancee's resume. She's in the Design portion of newspapers (copy editor is her current job). She's looking for a job here to come live with me so I'd like to get her something she'll benefit from. Any blank spaces are removed personal information she's not comfortable with giving out online.

Do not list references on a resume, ever. Nobody has an infinite amount of good references, why blast their info all over the place when applying for jobs? Reference checking is usually one of the last steps in the hiring process. If they ask to speak to your references before interviewing you run for the hills (academia excluded)

The design, I don't know, I mean its cute and not terribly annoying like some "wacky" resumes but the fact that I had to spend more than 10 seconds just to calculate how much total experience she has b/c it's offset in pale grey is a bad sign. I'm not in the newspaper industry though.

Why are the bullets so gigantic, is that a newspaper style thing? I literally haven't picked up a newspaper since 2004

seacat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 29, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The line spacing makes it really hard to read.

Are those gigantic white squares intended for a picture? Pictures on a resume are beyond weird in North America, I guess they're accepted or required in some other areas of the world.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

FrozenVent posted:

The line spacing makes it really hard to read.

Are those gigantic white squares intended for a picture? Pictures on a resume are beyond weird in North America, I guess they're accepted or required in some other areas of the world.

The large blank spot is an example of her work. I took it out for identification purposes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

The large blank spot is an example of her work. I took it out for identification purposes.

Is that something that belongs on a resume? I'm not in anything creative, but aren't portfolios, writing samples and the like a separate submission?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

Well, tomorrow's Friday and I haven't heard back from the Wednesday job. That interview was set up by a recruiter, I last spoke to her on Monday and she said she was trying to follow up with the manager that I interviewed with. As a hiring person, who do you recommend I call first tomorrow- the recruiter or the manager? I last spoke to the manager last Friday, if that makes a difference.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 30, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I heard back from a job I interviewed last week, one of the aforementioned that I felt went well. Yep, apparently not as well as I thought, as they are pursuing other candidates. That's fine, at least I heard back. At least that's something.

gently caress I hate interviewing. Not like when I actually sit down with the interviewer, that's fine and I'm not all bitter or anything. But the whole deal, taking the morning or afternoon to dedicate to getting dressed up, leaving plenty early to account for bad traffic, waiting to see if you'll hear back, following up when inevitably they take too long to get back to you, etc.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Well, tomorrow's Friday and I haven't heard back from the Wednesday job. That interview was set up by a recruiter, I last spoke to her on Monday and she said she was trying to follow up with the manager that I interviewed with. As a hiring person, who do you recommend I call first tomorrow- the recruiter or the manager? I last spoke to the manager last Friday, if that makes a difference.

Manager. But it's the day before labor day; nobody is going to be there.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit:nvm, found interview thread. Sorry.

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 30, 2013

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Unless the hiring manager specifically told you it's OK to contact them, call the recruiter. Many hiring managers who work through recruiters prefer not to be contacted directly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bisty Q. posted:

Manager. But it's the day before labor day; nobody is going to be there.

seacat posted:

Unless the hiring manager specifically told you it's OK to contact them, call the recruiter. Many hiring managers who work through recruiters prefer not to be contacted directly.

Well I guess I'm calling them both :goleft:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is it in good practice to call companies (when possible) after filling out an application online? I just call to make sure it went through even though I got the confirmation email just to let them know I'm interested and ask if there is anything else I can do.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I think I may have screwed up on salary.

I had an interview yesterday, went great. I was asked for my expectation on salary. I gave a figure.

I now regret that figure, I think it's too low. If they offer me the job, is it rude for me to then say, "btw I thought it over and I want more?" Have I blown my chances here?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^^: You can certainly say something like "After looking more closely at the job description, I think it would make more sense for total comp to be around $X" but you are probably screwed.

Just The Facts posted:

Is it in good practice to call companies (when possible) after filling out an application online? I just call to make sure it went through even though I got the confirmation email just to let them know I'm interested and ask if there is anything else I can do.

No No No No No No No, do not do this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CelestialScribe posted:

I think I may have screwed up on salary.

I had an interview yesterday, went great. I was asked for my expectation on salary. I gave a figure.

I now regret that figure, I think it's too low. If they offer me the job, is it rude for me to then say, "btw I thought it over and I want more?" Have I blown my chances here?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let me qualify that though, in my personal experience with midsized companies that question is used to make sure the interviewee and the company are in the same ballpark when it comes to salary. We already have an idea of what we're going to pay the person we hire, there's some room to negotiate, but we're not going low ball them because they threw a low number out.

When we open a requisition to hire a new person the hiring manager works with our HR department to figure out title, and a corresponding pay band according to Radford and other HR specific data. If we're hiring a Sr. Basket Weaver, HR will pull salary data for what Sr. Basket Weavers make in this area and give us a pay band. Then that pay band gets sent to Finance and they'll pre-approve a max salary of the position. Our pay bands usually run from 25% to 75% of the data HR pulls. So the hiring manager will say you can offer your Sr. Basket Weaver anywhere from 60 to 75K depending on experience with say a midpoint of 68.5K or so. If we find the best Basket Weaver in the world and they want 80K we can always try to get the extra 5K authorized, and for the right candidate it isn't a problem usually as 5K is a drop in the bucket for some unfilled positions. But if you're throwing out 90K+ at the interview it's going to be pretty clear we're not going to agree on compensation so we'll go ahead and move on to a different candidate.

Smaller companies might take advantage of you, but a larger company with a real HR department probably works like I described above.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Some companies have predetermined grade scales with very little wiggle room. If you can't get the money you want you can try to get more PTO or something like that instead.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

corkskroo posted:

Some companies have predetermined grade scales with very little wiggle room. If you can't get the money you want you can try to get more PTO or something like that instead.

Does that happen? I always hear that thrown around but I would think the benefits package was even more set in stone than the pay grades. ie earning 4 hours per pay period.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

johnny sack posted:

Does that happen? I always hear that thrown around but I would think the benefits package was even more set in stone than the pay grades. ie earning 4 hours per pay period.

In my experience its rare but can be negotiated. I think it's getting more common for hard to fill skill positions. I know of two people that negotiated an extra week when they started.

I know after getting 4 weeks at my current job going somewhere with only 2 would be difficult and I would try to negotiate a 3rd week. Yes I sound like a spoiled man-baby.

I even recall seeing a municipal job offering prior work credit for computing time off accruals.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I've seen people get an extra week of vacay. I haven't seen much success on the salary front. That said, I've seen people settle for lower salaries than they wanted and then get a sizeable adjustment 6 months later but you can hardly count on that happening.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie
So I had a bizarre situation happen recently. I had a phone screening for a programming job. Instead of the standard questions like the ones in the OP, he had me pull up an online shared notepad to answer some programming questions (which I didn't expect so I was thrown for a loop). Is this normal?

Then it got worse. One of the things he asked me to code up was incredibly simple. After I switched gears in my head, I managed to type it up easily. Since the problem was pretty much text book I used a lot of generic names in my variables, and the interviewer accused me of googling the solution. What the gently caress!? How do you even respond to accusations of cheating? I swore to him that it was my own work, and after the interview (and I had composed myself), I sent him an email thanking him for taking the time to interview me, and if there was any question about my ability, I was prepared to demonstrate my skills in person (I live in the city that the company is located in). Unsurprisingly, they passed on me. Was there anything more I could do or was I just boned due to random chance?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's common in programming jobs to have to code during an interview, so you should expect that.

The other part sounds like bad luck.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I had a second interview today for a brand new position in a local city Recreation Department. I had interviewed relatively well for the first round but due to the highly competitive nature of government positions I wasn't really expecting a call back. I did ask some very good questions and tie everything I had back into past stories of accomplishments so I'm sure that helped. I also utilized someone I already knew in the local government to put in a good word for me which I'm sure helped a bit.

I decided for the second interview to do some intensive research on the outreach the local government has already made to non-profits and community leaders, and decided to prepare material to help illustrate some of the initiatives I am hoping to develop for the department. I really think it went over well and I could help but smile by the end of it. I should hear sometime next week, and I don't want to get my hopes up but I think I did really well. I just sent out my thank you letter to the Director and now I just have to wait. My mind still reels with questions if I could have done anything more to make myself stand out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You should have quoted Parcs and Rec extensively, of course.

Just relax. It's done, you can't change the past, alea jacta es. Relax and apply somewhere else while you wait for an answer.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

Xandu posted:

It's common in programming jobs to have to code during an interview, so you should expect that.

Even during the phone screening?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Oww My Eye posted:

From what I understand, yes. There was a discussion about this a few pages ago

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Oww My Eye posted:

If your phone call is done using Webex or some similar service, then your phone interview will almost definitely involve sharing your screen and writing some code.

If they just call your cell phone, you're probably just going to answer questions.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

Sarcophallus posted:

If your phone call is done using Webex or some similar service, then your phone interview will almost definitely involve sharing your screen and writing some code.

If they just call your cell phone, you're probably just going to answer questions.

They called my cell phone and then emailed me a link to an online shared text editor.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Oww My Eye posted:

They called my cell phone and then emailed me a link to an online shared text editor.

That's admittedly pretty strange.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
It's actually really common for technology jobs, although your recruiter should have told you to expect it.

Now you know and you can do a better job next time!

The cheating allegations; well... some companies hire dicks that would say things like that. You dodged a bullet by not moving forward.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
I'm gonna assume this applies here, apologies if it doesn't.

I've opted to go for an in house communications role coming up in the next week, I work in a busy gallery and it would be a temporary promotion above my status. It's just an eight week placement but would definitely look swish on my resume. Of course due to it being in house they already have some of my job performance and cv on file. However the problem is I recieved this email this morning.

'Hi Michael

I have been emailing around the people who have applied for this to ask
for a paragraph on why they want the job and what they think they would
bring to it.

Thanks
Beth'.

I'm genuinely stumped by what to write, I know full well how to write a cover letter but if it's in house a lot of the rules I apply there won't be applicable, so I'm looking for advice on how best to communicate myself in an interdepartmental job competition where everyone knows each other and how to make yourself stand out from your colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Chumpion posted:

I'm gonna assume this applies here, apologies if it doesn't.

I've opted to go for an in house communications role coming up in the next week, I work in a busy gallery and it would be a temporary promotion above my status. It's just an eight week placement but would definitely look swish on my resume. Of course due to it being in house they already have some of my job performance and cv on file. However the problem is I recieved this email this morning.

'Hi Michael

I have been emailing around the people who have applied for this to ask
for a paragraph on why they want the job and what they think they would
bring to it.

Thanks
Beth'.

I'm genuinely stumped by what to write, I know full well how to write a cover letter but if it's in house a lot of the rules I apply there won't be applicable, so I'm looking for advice on how best to communicate myself in an interdepartmental job competition where everyone knows each other and how to make yourself stand out from your colleagues.

Well, it's pretty simple: 2 sentences on why you want the job and 2 sentences on what you would bring to it. Do you have past experience in communications? Have you volunteered or done anything in the past that's even tangentially related? Why (other than "it would look good my resume") did you express interest? What about the role is exciting?

You just want to sell yourself here. I'd structure it something like this:

I want to be the Assistant To The Chocolate Teapot Maker because [reason]. I also would look forward to [reaching out to patrons/(something)] to expand my skill set. In the past, I [something related]. Finally, I'm very motivated to [provide the best patron experience/inform my peers/some other suck-upy sounding thing].