Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are a lot of compromises I wouldn't mind to get Berserk out faster, but light novel prose isn't one of them. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucien_Reeve
Feb 15, 2012
Has it been confirmed that Miura has been hospitalised? And if so, that the cause was over-work?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lucien_Reeve posted:

Has it been confirmed that Miura has been hospitalised? And if so, that the cause was over-work?

If you look up the story on Reddit and Google you see that it's a prank/troll that gets reposted each lull for the past year or two.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hatter106 posted:

Given Miura's glacial pace and detail creep, would anyone really object to Berserk becoming a light novel series at this point? I'm sure he has the story laid out in his head, writing it out with a ghostwriter would give us the entire story in a fraction of the time. And Miura could still do 5 or 10 illustrations per book of key points.

At this point, where drawing the story has threatened his very health, I'd rather get Berserk in prose than no Berserk at all.

Presenting the story that way would kill it IMO (or at least show it in the MOST unflattering light). I mean maybe it's just me but I'm happy with Berserk the way it is, never really got the anxiety people get from waiting, like, a few months to read to read some cool comics pages. Especially when there's so many cool comics out there.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Presenting the story that way would kill it IMO (or at least show it in the MOST unflattering light). I mean maybe it's just me but I'm happy with Berserk the way it is, never really got the anxiety people get from waiting, like, a few months to read to read some cool comics pages. Especially when there's so many cool comics out there.

Why would turning Berserk into a novel kill it? Comic is just the way it is delivered. I assume Miura is a competent enough writer to know how to write decent prose. The strength of Berserk was never on the words but on the story as a whole, so I hardly think turning Berserk into a novel would kill it.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Guts' sword turned into a blur *Whoosh* *Crack* *Slrrrch* Said the sword as it traveled through 30000lbs of demon meat, the monsters eyes bugged out and his tongue curled. "Blaaaarrrg!!!" The demon said as all his internal organs fell out upon the earth. From the corpse of the Belzarus Mega Demon came a blue haired girl in a sailor uniform...

Do you...
A.> Ask her out on a date
B.> Cut her in half
C.> Offer her to a horse demon as sacrifice?

*click*

Suddenly a horse demon...
:stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just saw the 3rd movie. I'm now watching the outtakes from the show to cheer me up. Man that was a hard watch, in a good way.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Guin Saga, the light novel series that inspired Berserk, is a pretty good example of over-the-top dark fantasy working in prose.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This is Mura we are talking about, Berserk in a light novel would spend entire chapters describing in intricate detail all the waves in Griffith's hair as he poses majestically on a hilltop.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

Guin Saga, the light novel series that inspired Berserk, is a pretty good example of over-the-top dark fantasy working in prose.

Isn't that the one Miura cited as his inspiration for Berserk? The one where the author worked on it for 30 years and died before finishing?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Given Miura's glacial pace and detail creep, would anyone really object to Berserk becoming a light novel series at this point? I'm sure he has the story laid out in his head, writing it out with a ghostwriter would give us the entire story in a fraction of the time. And Miura could still do 5 or 10 illustrations per book of key points.

At this point, where drawing the story has threatened his very health, I'd rather get Berserk in prose than no Berserk at all.

Apart from the question of whether the ghost can write as well as Miura draws, have you seen the schedules for LN translations? Or how bad they are?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

KoB posted:

Why would you say that? Because his art is good and very detailed? He only puts out a half dozen chapters a year if we're lucky, there are dozens of people that pump out 20 pages a week with fantastic art.

If hes legitimately ill/hurt then he should take the time off and heal, but saying hes the hardest working person in the industry is laughable.
Awright, I take it back. Mirua might be highly dedicated to his craft, but he certainly doesn't care about such petty concerns as deadlines.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

Guin Saga isn't a light novel, it's an actual novel (series).

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Guin Saga isn't a light novel, it's an actual novel (series).

Yeah I was gonna say, thats a big time novel and I don't think I'd mind berserk on that scale. I don't really care that much about the granular plotting of this epic and I'm mostly on board for the total package and atmosphere, so some light novel adaption outlining the plotting and resolution is really nothing I'd be interested in. I mean if berserk dies there's enough here to kind of extrapolate your own ending anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I mean if berserk dies there's enough here to kind of extrapolate your own ending anyway.

I don't see it that way at all. If the ending were a foregone conclusion it wouldn't be very interesting, but it looks more like Miura is setting up a conflict between Guts' desire for revenge and his dedication to his crew and I honestly don't know which one is stronger.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I agree the ending's not a forgone conclusion at all, I'd just prefer the manga format for this dark pulp fantasy and would prefer to get as much of that as I can. I guess i just wouldn't be disappointed if it ended inconclusively because the existing material is so absorbing as it stands.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guin Saga is sort of a light novel, in that it set the template that other novels that became the "light novel" genre followed: a fantasy story with illustrations that has multiple volumes. Though the term didn't exist when the story first came out. It and Vampire Hunter D started the genre.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I watched the third movie and it was pretty good. The cg still sucked in a lot of places but it was generally well done in most scenes. Glad that we at least get an animated version of the manga eclipse. Pretty disturbing but well done. Can't wait for the movies to get to elf island...

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Toadsniff posted:

Guts' sword turned into a blur *Whoosh* *Crack* *Slrrrch* Said the sword as it traveled through 30000lbs of demon meat, the monsters eyes bugged out and his tongue curled. "Blaaaarrrg!!!" The demon said as all his internal organs fell out upon the earth. From the corpse of the Belzarus Mega Demon came a blue haired girl in a sailor uniform...

Do you...
A.> Ask her out on a date
B.> Cut her in half
C.> Offer her to a horse demon as sacrifice?

*click*

Suddenly a horse demon...
:stare:

I'm not saying I WOULDN'T buy this, but this kind of situation was my immediate reaction to the idea of Berserk prose.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Doesn't Roderick not even know where Elf Island is? Nope he sure doesn't just looked.

I can only hope this'll end with them looking over the Sea God's corpse and saying "oh there it is."

The King of Bavaria
Jul 23, 2007

Kaiser Wilhelm is my homeboy.
Seriously, we play chess every Thursday.
I am putting a panel together on Berserk at an up coming anime convention. I have never done a panel before and every presentation I have given was to a military. audience I have a good idea where I am going with it, I would like some suggestions on what I should include or what could make it more interesting. Right now I have background information, what the series is about, info about the author, what makes the series worth reading/watching, discussion of the more philosophical aspects of the series, some good video clips to include, and section about humorous antidotes set to the theme of "Things I learned from Berserk". I have 90 mins to fill and am doing my damnest to not have this be a death by PowerPoint Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The King of Bavaria fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 7, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there any reason to believe this series will ever finish? I haven't seem a new one come out in ages.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Agrajag posted:

Is there any reason to believe this series will ever finish? I haven't seem a new one come out in ages.

Chances are, the Second Coming is more likely to occur before the final issue of Berserk.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The King of Bavaria posted:

I am putting a panel together on Berserk at an up coming anime convention. I have never done a panel before and every presentation I have given was to a military. audience I have a good idea where I am going with it, I would like some suggestions on what I should include or what could make it more interesting. Right now I have background information, what the series is about, info about the author, what makes the series worth reading/watching, discussion of the more philosophical aspects of the series, some good video clips to include, and section about humorous antidotes set to the theme of "Things I learned from Berserk". I have 90 mins to fill and am doing my damnest to not have this be a death by PowerPoint Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Throw this in there at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Great Schwarzenegger impersonation. He should have done the whole thing in that voice.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Been meaning to watch the outtakes for ages. Thanks for linking that.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
After seeing that several times before, I've finally realized that they're all the original VA's actually screwing around as opposed to a very well done fanmade parody. I wonder how this ever got out to the public?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ANIME AKBAR posted:

After seeing that several times before, I've finally realized that they're all the original VA's actually screwing around as opposed to a very well done fanmade parody. I wonder how this ever got out to the public?

Sometimes anime dvds have outtakes on them. It's usually a bonus feature or some such.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

The King of Bavaria posted:

I've done a few Berserk panels before in the past and they usually turn out okay, but since a lot of the fans are gigantic spergs about the series you have to be careful or else poo poo gets out of hand. I've had people try to argue with me or others about small stupid things that are unconfirmed like Zodd's ambitions or his horn. My advice would be to generally avoid open discussion and save the theory discussion for last because poo poo will get out of hand fast. If you start on something about Zodd/Void's relationship with Skullknight it escalates pretty fast which is cool, but it will eat up most of your time from a single topic. I've tried getting a discussion going about the deeper aspects of Berserk my main interest was how the art reflected the loss of humanity and acceptance of beastial nature in Guts and the discussion NEVER took off. I've done with this several panels over different subjects and it's always met with an icy response. I'm just kind of posting about my general experience here, feel free to try it yourself. If you can get that poo poo going that's great, I just never could. Everyone seemed more interested in sharing their take or theory on who is going to use Puck's little green egg or if Caska was going to man the gently caress up and kill Griffith. A really interesting one to bring up is everyone's theory on how the series will end. Some people's theories are actually really interesting.

Generally most people that will attend the panel have already watched the anime, films, and read the manga in it's entirety so you're pretty good with just a short five minute THIS IS BERSERK INTRO then telling the Berserk newbies you're about to drop some series ruining spoilers. I was usually complimented on running the panel like a discussion afterwards by staff and some of the attendees, but be warned it can get out of hand really fast. Other than that it's really interesting to talk about it, I wouldn't suggest focusing on presenting information on Kentaro or the series too much since everyone attending likely has an encyclopedic knowledge of the series, just get people talking and it'll be good.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Hatter106 posted:

Oh thanks for this I'll have to check Guin out; I had been wondering what Miura's influences were. I had been assuming R.E. Howard and Morcock but was kinda doubting that much of their stuff had been translated.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 20, 2013

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Guin was a big disappointment. It had the scene where, if memory serves Guin brutally kills a bunch of pursuers in a forest in episode 1 or 2. Ather that there were no comparable action scenes, and I managed to get through 12ish episodes. Just a lot of boring traveling and political intrigue oh wait I just described the degradation of Berserk :o:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nothing against you, but that description makes it sound like I owe Guin Saga a second chance. I only watched the first episode, thought it was just going to be burly jaguar men punching things without the character bits that made early Berserk interesting, and decided I wasn't interested. :shobon:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The anime is kind of crap. The first five novels are available in English at pretty cheap prices; they're quick, pulpy reads and have moody, evocative illustrations.

The later volumes had even better artists, but since the first five sold terribly, the rest of the 130 volumes have snowball's chance in hell of ever being released outside Japan.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Did Guin Saga have some sort of ongoing arc to it, or was it just a series of self-contained one-off adventures? (Like Vampire Hunter D if I understand that correctly.)

If it was the former, how did it handle, uh, the author dying? :smith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The plot is just your typical Conan-esque "one large meandering story of Guin going through life conquering stuff or getting involved in intrigues". It's kind of dull really.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

burly jaguar men punching things

Holy poo poo that sounds amazing :stare:

Like I know you said it's not as smart as Berserk but I don't even care that sounds goddamn incredible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nothing against you, but that description makes it sound like I owe Guin Saga a second chance. I only watched the first episode, thought it was just going to be burly jaguar men punching things without the character bits that made early Berserk interesting, and decided I wasn't interested. :shobon:
"Political intrigue" makes it sound a lot more interesting than it was. I gave it a chance and it's just unbelievably dull. You wouldn't think they could make a story about a giant jaguar-headed man boring but it turns out the trick is to make the plot actually be about characterless exiled teenage royalty.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 21, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sindai posted:

"Political intrigue" makes it sound a lot more interesting than it was. I gave it a chance and it's just unbelievably dull. You wouldn't think they could make a story about a giant jaguar-headed man boring but it turns out the trick is to make the plot actually be about characterless exiled teenage royalty.

To be fair, toward the end the plot looked like it was going places. Of course, then it ended without anything interesting being resolved. That leaves the option of picking up a Japanese 130 book series that also ends abruptly on author death. Meh.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Or not picking it up because it is 130 books and will therefore be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Despite the insane detail of his art, it's hard to call Miura the hardest working guy when you have people like Murata Yuusuke running around.

This just makes me want to see Miura & Murata crossover guest panels