Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Nah, you don't get hosed till you get the repair estimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So is hiring a scooter to ride around Rome just a particularly elaborate suicide plot or what? I fancy a week over there and feel like that'd be a cool thing to do, but at the same time I've seen how those fuckers drive...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So is hiring a scooter to ride around Rome just a particularly elaborate suicide plot or what? I fancy a week over there and feel like that'd be a cool thing to do, but at the same time I've seen how those fuckers drive...

This literally triggered my midlife crisis entry into motorcycling. All the scooters buzzing around triggered some real boners, and there was a rantal lot a block away from the hotel. Because I had wife and kid, however, I didn't get to rent a scooter in Rome (they didn't want to ride) - :smith:

When I got back home, I looked into scooters and landed on motorcycles. :unsmith:

As for whether you'll die on that Roman Holiday - I got nothing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've rented a bike in Greece (Corfu) and cycle commuted for 6 months in Kampala without dying. Riding in chaotic traffic like that is all about situational awareness and keeping your wits about you, also pay attention to how the locals ride; When in Rome* and all that.

*Literally, in this case.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I watch videos of the bike traffic in a big city or in Asia or whatever I think that I'd actually prefer it like that. It looks like chaos but it's a controlled chaos and most people seem to have their attention on the road. Compared to our stricter traffic rules but with drivers focused on everything but the road in front of them, I think I'd go with the chaos.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think you'll be fine if you just pay attention and follow the lead of other riders. Two of my non moto friends rent scooters every time they visit home back in Vietnam and somehow manage not to die. I think the slow speeds help as long as you're paying attention and following whatever everyone else does.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nsaP posted:

When I watch videos of the bike traffic in a big city or in Asia or whatever I think that I'd actually prefer it like that. It looks like chaos but it's a controlled chaos and most people seem to have their attention on the road. Compared to our stricter traffic rules but with drivers focused on everything but the road in front of them, I think I'd go with the chaos.

I actually first learned to ride in Cambodia. I do actually kind of prefer the controlled chaos that is driving/riding/walking in Asia. Everybody HAS to pay attention, so despite appearances people are fairly well-aware of what is going on and things actually move pretty quick. Things are so regulated, so safe, so boring in the States that we have people who get distracted by literally everything, or even fall asleep at the wheel, because they feel like they don't have to pay attention.

When I learned to ride in Cambodia it was pretty great, actually. We asked the guy running the guesthouse we were staying at if he knew where we could rent some motos, and he said come back in 30 minutes. 30 minutes later we come back and there are 3 of the most rag-tag 125-150cc bikes sitting outside (there were 3 of us). I have no doubt that he literally called up his friends and was like "hey you want to rent your bike out to some Americans for the day for $10?". No paperwork, no licensing, no waivers. Just a "yeah ride it around the lot until you feel comfortable" and "you break it you buy it!". Trial by fire is the best way to learn!

When I got home from that trip, I immediately signed up for the MSF to get my endorsement, and had my own bike within a couple months.

After that, it just amazes and saddens me that people here are so afraid of everything. People are afraid to ride on neighborhood streets even after taking an MSF course. Or people who are afraid to go buy a bike and ride it an hour home. Or riders who are terrified of riding on the freeway (despite it being statistically the safest place to ride).

And it's not just motorcycles, either. People in the States are so afraid of everything, so risk-averse, so safety-obsessed that it amazes me that people even get out of bed in the morning.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 30, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Guinness posted:

Or riders who are terrified of riding on the freeway (despite it being statistically the safest place to ride).

I get this so often - "You don't take it on the freeway do you!!?? :supaburn:"

Yes, I do! It's so easy and safe it's boring, aside from the 70mph thing. My two closest calls riding so far have been side streets, and both on the same intersection!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've got to vent a little about selling trying to sell my bike. In the months its been on Craigslist I've been contacted by someone offering to trade a bass boat, a hunting rig whatever the gently caress that means, 3 scammers and one person that seemed legit but stopped replying to texts. In that time I've taken $800 off the asking price and still no bites. I haven't any shown it to anyone. Here's my ad so everyone can tell me why my bike isn't worth as much as I think it is: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3997456171.html

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hunting rigs rule.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd buy it if I was local and had $3k to blow. I think its worth it.

The problem with a bike like that is that you have to sell it to someone who knows what they're looking at and why its special. The average idiot on craigslist probably looks at that and goes "lol not a gixxer" or "lol not a harley" and keeps moving. The venn diagram of "people who want an SV" "people who know whats on that bike and why it shouldnt sell for $800" and "people on the internet who arent idiots" is a very tiny venn diagram.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 30, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

You've grafted on parts from 3 other bikes (GSXR, R6, CBR) and replaced the headlights, handlebars and pegs, so it sounds like a bit of a Frankenstein, and is very much "your bike". There's a reason why I'll paint my house white when I'm selling it, it's so potential buyers see their future house, not my current house.

Edit: I'd buy it.

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 30, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Part it out on svrider forums or put a FS add on there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

You've grafted on parts from 3 other bikes (GSXR, R6, CBR) and replaced the headlights, handlebars and pegs, so it sounds like a bit of a Frankenstein, and is very much "your bike". There's a reason people paint their houses white when they're selling them, it's so potential buyers see their future house, not someones current house.

This too, but I was nicer about it. Do you have an ad up on SV forums?? People there would probably snap it up.

^^^n8r and I are posting the same thing today.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, it's a heavily modified bike. That's scares a lot of people away. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a heavily modified bike like that from an anonymous craigslister.

Not to say that you didn't do good work or that it's a pile, but I know when I look through craigslist ads for bikes or cars, if I see a listing for a heavily modified bike I just move on to the next one - especially for something as common as an SV. For something like that you probably will have better luck on an enthusiast forum where people aren't necessarily looking for stock/near-stock.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This too, but I was nicer about it. Do you have an ad up on SV forums?? People there would probably snap it up.

^^^n8r and I are posting the same thing today.

Let me start spamming sv rider until I can get the post count...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Coredump posted:

I've got to vent a little about selling trying to sell my bike. In the months its been on Craigslist I've been contacted by someone offering to trade a bass boat, a hunting rig whatever the gently caress that means, 3 scammers and one person that seemed legit but stopped replying to texts. In that time I've taken $800 off the asking price and still no bites. I haven't any shown it to anyone. Here's my ad so everyone can tell me why my bike isn't worth as much as I think it is: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3997456171.html

I'd be buying it if I didn't already have too many bikes and hadn't recently sold off a SV built almost identical to what you did. That looks like a fun bike but people that don't know the reason behind the upgrades are going to be scared of not stock, not gsxr, not cbrrr, not r1/6, not harley.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coredump posted:

Let me start spamming sv rider until I can get the post count...

I showed it to my brother (a GaTech student), and he liked it, but doesn't have the cash.

Seriously, if you could park it in a motorcycle spot at GaTech with a big For Sale sign on it, someone would buy it. Half the GT riders have SVs.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Don't get discouraged, Coredump. Heavily modded streetbikes are always a slightly tougher sell; because people immediately suspect they were born of the same type of ricer kids you would never buy a used Civic off of. Less is usually more on an initial public ad, in any case. Remember, when you say stuff like, "SV650 (with 2006 GSXR frontend and some Yamaha parts from a completely different bike and a phat CBR rear tire)" it reads one of three ways:
  • "Hey totally like-minded people...I added some cool mods."
  • "Look at all the weird poo poo I've done. Goodness knows what I'm not telling you."
  • "I somehow hosed this thing up so bad I had to rebuild half of it from the 3 other bikes I've destroyed."
I would never have given you a call on that ad; but you've got what seems to be a good bike. Here's how I'd have advertised it to avoid alienating people who might otherwise have interest. The right side shot is your best shot, by far. I'd have just used the two full-side shots and perhaps the two tread shots; because they make the bike look pretty great. (You can send additional pics if they want them.) I personally think that head-on shot makes your bike look like rear end. Description as follows.

quote:

2003 SV650 with 24,000 miles. Ready to ride. Clear title, no liens. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. Street legal HID headlight. I've replaced the sprockets, chain, and clutch cable. Tire in back is two years old and tire in front was new last year. Comes with the factory service manual I bought from the dealer. You can text [number] or email me at the craigslist email with any questions. No texts or calls after 9:00 pm, thanks.
That simple. All of that reads positive. Everything outside of what I listed there is potentially polarizing stuff that 90% of people who might buy your bike would never notice or care about. Be honest; but remember that the time to talk details is usually once you're on the phone or have them looking at it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Evilslug nailed it. Regardless of all else what most people are looking at first is "2003 SV650 with 24,000 miles" followed by a huge mod list. The bike isn't rare so your market is people like you.

Oh and if it isn't obvious, that market isn't paying 3800. 3k is a hard sell, I'd expect 2500 from craigslist. I'd go with the peoples who suggested the sv650 boards.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 31, 2013

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Does this make me a bad person?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-grom/

tl;dr Wes Siler likes the grom. If you like the grom then you agree with Wes Siler. For shame.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As predicted, the Grom owns.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No I don't think you understand. Wes Siler liked it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know who Wes siler is other than a dude who correctly thinks the grom owns?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Grom looks like a blast, but I hate the idea of having to tag and insure something that can't take the highway.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont know who Wes siler is other than a dude who correctly thinks the grom owns?
I bet you were really disappointed when Gopro's video of the day titled SUPER GROMS turned out to be just a bunch of little kids on dirtbikes.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFzz6G5wbw
Another video of the grom for people to not like for some apparent reason. Looks fun as hell for what it is, a supermoto scooter. Not a full size, touring bike that everyone thinks every bike should be.

I'd love to see it with some motor work like a big bore, race head and cam, and an exhaust. :getin:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

velocross posted:

Another video of the grom for people to not like for some apparent reason. Looks fun as hell for what it is, a supermoto scooter. Not a full size, touring bike that everyone thinks every bike should be.

I'd love to see it with some motor work like a big bore, race head and cam, and an exhaust. :getin:

http://www.yuminashi.com/-msx125-cylinder-kits/

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

velocross posted:

There's already a ton out for it in Asia, as the MSX125 has been out for a bit and it shares a motor with some other bikes. The guys who are already importing Ruckus and PCX150 and Zuma 125 parts from Taiwan and Japan will be all over it.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

velocross posted:

Another video of the grom for people to not like for some apparent reason.
I think most people hate on it because it is being advertised as "small bike fun combined with real motorcycle practicality" in a land where people drive H2's and commute via expressway. There's nothing practical about the Grom, aside from the price point. If I had to own a scooter, the Grom would probably be the scooter I owned; but I don't see it as anything more than a toy and they're really trying to push it as a 'serious' bike. I've had a lot of fun in the past test riding little kids' dirtbikes after fixing them up; but I'd laugh my butt off if Kawasaki tried to market a pint-sized dirtbike to me as anything more than a toy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EvilSlug posted:

I think most people hate on it because it is being advertised as "small bike fun combined with real motorcycle practicality" in a land where people drive H2's and commute via expressway. There's nothing practical about the Grom, aside from the price point. If I had to own a scooter, the Grom would probably be the scooter I owned; but I don't see it as anything more than a toy and they're really trying to push it as a 'serious' bike. I've had a lot of fun in the past test riding little kids' dirtbikes after fixing them up; but I'd laugh my butt off if Kawasaki tried to market a pint-sized dirtbike to me as anything more than a toy.

What you're actually saying is: "There's nothing practical about the Grom, aside from if you live in not-America." I would own one if I lived in my town's cbd; a day of parking a car is $12, the speed limits in some places are 30km/h and traffic is maximum density non-stop.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Grom videos look fun but the motorcycle form factor combined with the size just seems to be hanging a 'SQUASH ME' sign on it that scooters don't seem to have. I'd fully expect SUVs to pull the sort of aggressive tailgating / merging they do with regular bikes thinking you've got the power to get away, but you don't. That's in addition to the normal problems of scooter helmet height and visibility.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

nsaP posted:

I've ridden around in Vietnam and Thailand and it feels like you're a fish swimming with a big school. For examples turning across traffic is a process of waiting until you build up a critical mass of riders who want to go the same way, then just go and the oncoming traffic will give way or just merge through you. Its certainly more adventurous and fun than 'first world' traffic, but I've also seen (or ridden by what must have been) a few fatal accidents resulting from that.
An older lady in Thailand who looked like she got hit and run over by a truck, a girl in Vietnam who must have died seconds before before we came up on her (particularly traumatic). I've also ridden by two scenes where bikes had been mangled by large trucks and while we didn't see the riders from the damage I'd say they didn't have much chance.
If I tallied up just the actual riding days in SE Asia its probably ~5-6 weeks of actual riding over multiple trips, yet in near 4 years of riding in the USA I've never come across a fatal bike wreck personally (though I did know a couple people who have passed away riding).

I just looked up the stats on wikipedia and Thailand is only slightly over 50% more road deaths per capita than the US, Vietnam is about 30% more so clearly my experience must have been skewed somewhat however I wouldn't give up the comparative sanity of US riding for it (on a daily basis anyway..).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GanjamonII posted:

I've ridden around in Vietnam and Thailand and it feels like you're a fish swimming with a big school. For examples turning across traffic is a process of waiting until you build up a critical mass of riders who want to go the same way, then just go and the oncoming traffic will give way or just merge through you. Its certainly more adventurous and fun than 'first world' traffic, but I've also seen (or ridden by what must have been) a few fatal accidents resulting from that.
An older lady in Thailand who looked like she got hit and run over by a truck, a girl in Vietnam who must have died seconds before before we came up on her (particularly traumatic). I've also ridden by two scenes where bikes had been mangled by large trucks and while we didn't see the riders from the damage I'd say they didn't have much chance.
If I tallied up just the actual riding days in SE Asia its probably ~5-6 weeks of actual riding over multiple trips, yet in near 4 years of riding in the USA I've never come across a fatal bike wreck personally (though I did know a couple people who have passed away riding).

I just looked up the stats on wikipedia and Thailand is only slightly over 50% more road deaths per capita than the US, Vietnam is about 30% more so clearly my experience must have been skewed somewhat however I wouldn't give up the comparative sanity of US riding for it (on a daily basis anyway..).

I'm willing to bet SE Asian countries rack up a shitload less miles per capita than the USA though - per capita only tells you so much when one country's commute is enough to actually take you out the country, and half-way across the next in another.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Grom videos look fun but the motorcycle form factor combined with the size just seems to be hanging a 'SQUASH ME' sign on it that scooters don't seem to have. I'd fully expect SUVs to pull the sort of aggressive tailgating / merging they do with regular bikes thinking you've got the power to get away, but you don't. That's in addition to the normal problems of scooter helmet height and visibility.

"Scooter helmet height and visibility" is actually really good. Scooters - at least those bigger than 50cc - all tend to have 30" or higher seat heights and very upright seating positions. I sit well higher than car drivers and comparable to many truck and SUV drivers on both of my scooters. And I'm a pretty short dude.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GanjamonII posted:

I actually felt better in SEA (where I learned to ride) than I would riding in the US, although that's probably because I did almost all my riding there outside the main cities, where it's comparatively more chill. I feel like the average US driver is kinda malevolently ignorant, really distracted, and riding around in huge, oversized cars. Throw in that you can't split and the roads are all flat and boring (Florida :banjo:) and I just never worked up the enthusiasm to do the MSF and get a bike, even though riding is one of my favorite things ever. I'm gonna correct the MSF part when I get back next fall, but only so my IDP says I have an unrestricted license instead of my current mid-size (non-US license).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

eddiewalker posted:

The Grom looks like a blast, but I hate the idea of having to tag and insure something that can't take the highway.

Ironic, I know, but I think the Grom looks better than a Blast.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

nsaP posted:

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-grom/

tl;dr Wes Siler likes the grom. If you like the grom then you agree with Wes Siler. For shame.

The list of 'The Bad' is hilariously dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

why oh why did I decide this morning to see what kind of bikes can be had for under £1000? I haven't got £1k to drop on a bike, even if I knew I'd get it all back in the spring.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/motorbikes/honda/cbr400/honda-400rr-triarm-babyblade/1626913