Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kurtofan posted:

What's up with the MLK Obama cartoons about Syria? Did something happen regarding MLK or is this just an eerie coincidence?

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the March on Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kurtofan posted:

What's up with the MLK Obama cartoons about Syria? Did something happen regarding MLK or is this just an eerie coincidence?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh, thanks, I didn't see the link.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on a possible strike against Syria - Ed Miliband has said that David Cameron failed to prove definitively that the Assad regime was responsible for the chemical attack"

Telegraph:

After Singer Sargent.

Mail:
"The Government are debating whether or not to launch an attack on Syria as punishment for the recent nerve gas attack."

quote:

“I HAVE A DREAM………”

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Cameron imagining himself as Statesman Man? Has Mac finally made an amusing comic?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on a possible strike against Syria - Ed Miliband has said that David Cameron failed to prove definitively that the Assad regime was responsible for the chemical attack"

Is Ben Jennings pro-intervention? :confused:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Crashbee posted:

Cameron imagining himself as Statesman Man? Has Mac finally made an amusing comic?

No, it's poo poo and boring.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kurtofan posted:

Anniversary of his 'I have a dream' speech.

*edit* didn't see next page on mobile. Oops.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 30, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That Mac cartoon might be a reference to Vicky's caricature of Harold Macmillan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermac_%28cartoon%29

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Puntification posted:

It also looks more like Gideon.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

Good job! Now hold out your hand so that I can stamp "HUMORLESS LEFTIST APPROVED" on it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Good job! Now hold out your hand so that I can stamp "HUMORLESS LEFTIST APPROVED" on it.

If thinking Mac is a poo poo cartoonist makes me a humourless leftie then I will wear the stamp like a badge of pride.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Puntification posted:

If thinking Mac is a poo poo cartoonist makes me a humourless leftie then I will wear the stamp like a badge of pride.

Mac isn't a poo poo cartoonist. He's a very good cartoonist who holds certain bad opinions, at least in part because he's in his 70s.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Mac isn't a poo poo cartoonist. He's a very good cartoonist who holds certain bad opinions, at least in part because he's in his 70s.

How are you defining what makes a good cartoonist here? I'm starting to feel like maybe Michael Gove was right about the UK having a culture of low expectations.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Speaking of poo poo cartoonists, is Paul Thomas dead? The Express has put the same lovely German UKIP cartoon up for the last 15 days.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Puntification posted:

How are you defining what makes a good cartoonist here? I'm starting to feel like maybe Michael Gove was right about the UK having a culture of low expectations.
He clearly puts time and effort into his compositions, if not his actual politics. So long as his cartoons aren't being actively racist, there's usually something to enjoy in his caricatures.

Giles cartoon from 1954. My dad had a collection of albums from the 50s and 60s, they made for a rather charming insight into life in those decades, thanks to the wealth of little details he'd put into family and work contexts. He also had some Mac books, which allow me to confirm that Mac has been a racist poo poo (but a good artist) for many decades.

^^^--Giles was the Express cartoonist. Paul Thomas is such a failure in every respect following him. I imagine he's just on holiday though.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kegluneq posted:

Mac has been a racist poo poo (but a good artist) for many decades.

But remarkably he is not a 'Kill 'Em All, Have a Ball' NeoCon Racist :unsmith:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

He clearly puts time and effort into his compositions, if not his actual politics. So long as his cartoons aren't being actively racist, there's usually something to enjoy in his caricatures.

I don't think that's sufficient justification to call him very good: look at Bell, Rowson, Sharpe, Riddell and Brown vastly more effort and craftmanship go into their work. I'm not basing my position on not agreeing with his politics (although obviously I don't agree with it) but the fact of the matter is even with the witch doctors in the NHS, the men marrying sheep and the holidaying gay-nazis I find his work more tedious than offensive, hence my opinion he's a poo poo cartoonist and not a cartoonist who's got poo poo opinions.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Puntification posted:

I don't think that's sufficient justification to call him very good: look at Bell, Rowson, Sharpe, Riddell and Brown vastly more effort and craftmanship go into their work. I'm not basing my position on not agreeing with his politics (although obviously I don't agree with it) but the fact of the matter is even with the witch doctors in the NHS, the men marrying sheep and the holidaying gay-nazis I find his work more tedious than offensive, hence my opinion he's a poo poo cartoonist and not a cartoonist who's got poo poo opinions.
Craftsmanship perhaps - Mac has had the exact same style for decades, whilst more modern cartoonists have adapted their style, and often improved. He's not 'good' in the sense that he has good opinions, messages, or a creative style, but he is a competent artist, certainly by normal political cartoonist standards. We're lucky to see some pretty exceptional ones in the UK against which to compare him though - just look at the US thread.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and Syria - The prime minister has said that public unease about getting involved in another Middle East war 'trumped the sense of outrage about chemical weapons'"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Elizabeth Thompson.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Puntification posted:

I don't think that's sufficient justification to call him very good: look at Bell, Rowson, Sharpe, Riddell and Brown vastly more effort and craftmanship go into their work.

I love Bell and Rowson but the only thing they really put "more effort" into is establishing a self-referential framework in their cartoons (i.e: you see a certain concept like Nick as Pinocchio developing over time, so that eventually a bunch of splinters is easily identified as him by a long-term reader, and nonsensical to a newbie), making references to classic art, and using colour (which is the only thing that also applies to Riddell). While they aren't bad watercolourists they aren't outstanding ones either to be frank. Most of the fun in their cartoons comes from the dirty jokes, the framework I just alluded to, and the fact that they always punch up with their satire.

Mac has a distinctive and interesting style, does his cartoons in a clean and crisp black and white medium and occasionally makes a funny joke. There's nothing revolutionary about his art and he has awful views, but he's still a decent cartoonist. I think it would be weird as hell if we started expecting people to make Bell and Rowson-esque works to meet the standard of "good cartoonist" anyway, since frankly cartoons are one of the few mediums which is more suited to simplicity and coherency. But we're not going to agree on this so whatever.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Craftsmanship perhaps - Mac has had the exact same style for decades, whilst more modern cartoonists have adapted their style, and often improved. He's not 'good' in the sense that he has good opinions, messages, or a creative style, but he is a competent artist, certainly by normal political cartoonist standards. We're lucky to see some pretty exceptional ones in the UK against which to compare him though - just look at the US thread.

I will admit in comparison to Chris Muir, Mac is a da Vinci of political cartooning but not being as poo poo as the mentally damaged outsider art shat out by some of the human garbage featured in the other thread shouldn't be our estimation of what a "very good" cartoonist is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and Syria - The prime minister has said that public unease about getting involved in another Middle East war 'trumped the sense of outrage about chemical weapons'"

I was laughing at most of this (especially angry Gove) but I lost it at that fuckin' Blair. Holy poo poo

Mac's a completely different kind of cartoonist - it's usually a joke and punchline and the art is there to illustrate the scene. He's a competent artist and he has a good eye for detail and character, but it's pretty workmanlike output. It's the kind of thing you'd see in one of those puzzle magazines or something - amusing for a moment but nothing you'll really remember. If it weren't for his terrible opinions and depictions of poor people etc he probably wouldn't stand out, except as high quality in a technical sense.

And that Cameron up there is terrible. Maybe Paul Thomas broke my brain because I think even his Cameron is more recognisable :eek:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Stephen Collins:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

:stare: Jesus christ.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Not a fan of QI/HIGNFY then. This is rather bleh.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

Not a fan of QI/HIGNFY then. This is rather bleh.

Well Fry did just do a paedo limerick on Q/i recently so there's that.

Wait, does this thread have the same Frychat rule that the UK megathread have?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In that we're all agreed he's history's biggest monster and any further discussion is pointless, then yes.
e: also QI's not satire. It's bashing HIgNfY/Mock the Week. Probably more Mock the Week than anything

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

In that we're all agreed he's history's biggest monster and any further discussion is pointless, then yes.
e: also QI's not satire. It's bashing HIgNfY/Mock the Week. Probably more Mock the Week than anything
I was going more off the shape of the desk than anything else. I realised afterwards that QI wasn't really satire, but it is also given over to chatty bollocks from time to time.

Mock the Week is surely the worst offender for excluding women, but you can't really see that in the set up there.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Yeah HIGNFY hardly qualifies as "bloke blast" so it's probably aimed at Mock the Week. HIGNFY is far too unashamedly wishy washy liberal only going so far as to allow Ian Hislop to sort of maybe insinuate about the massive corruptions that take place in our country. Not that Hislop would be anywhere close to being a true comrade even completely uncensored. :ussr:

Mock the Week however, just tells jokes. You know, like on Top Gear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Yeah HIGNFY hardly qualifies as "bloke blast" so it's probably aimed at Mock the Week. HIGNFY is far too unashamedly wishy washy liberal only going so far as to allow Ian Hislop to sort of maybe insinuate about the massive corruptions that take place in our country. Not that Hislop would be anywhere close to being a true comrade even completely uncensored. :ussr:

Mock the Week however, just tells jokes. You know, like on Top Gear.

Frankie Boyle thought it was called "Mock the Weak", and signed up.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The spectre of Iraq looms over Cameron - Chris Riddell on the prime minister's defeat in the Commons over Syria"

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jedit posted:

Frankie Boyle thought it was called "Mock the Weak", and signed up.

He's a strange one, I never know what to think of him. On the one hand he makes lovely sexist/homophobic/transphobic/rape apologetic etc. jokes like he's possessed by the ghost of Bernard Manning, but on the other he donated £50k to the campaign to free Shaker Aamer and went on hunger strike to draw attention to his case.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stottie Kyek posted:

He's a strange one, I never know what to think of him. On the one hand he makes lovely sexist/homophobic/transphobic/rape apologetic etc. jokes like he's possessed by the ghost of Bernard Manning, but on the other he donated £50k to the campaign to free Shaker Aamer and went on hunger strike to draw attention to his case.

Never forget that this is a man who made abusive attacks on disabled children then doubled down on them when criticised. Occasionally sprouting a political conscience does not make him less of a worthless piece of poo poo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Barack Obama's decision to consult Congress on possible Syria strike – US president says he believes there should be military action following suspected chemical attacks"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Russia's Vladimir Putin challenges US on Syria claims

Independent:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Wait a minute, does this mean Adams has lost CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR or did they just forget to add it?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Wait a minute, does this mean Adams has lost CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR or did they just forget to add it?

Looking back through the thread he seems to have stopped using it around july 17th or so, maybe that's when it's judged and his award expired?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
British Press Awards are at the end of March.

Unless it was a completely different award.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Jeez this is literally "haha French people". There is absolutely nothing insightful here at all.

Since E Pluribus Unum as a motto was apparently proposed by a Frenchman in the revolutionary period, perhaps it is referring to the (now forgotten) France-America alliance (revolutionary wars, fighting the British etc.) and suggesting a re-alignment of international relations as opposed to the relatively recent "special relationship" between the UK and USA.

(nah its "haha French people eat Garlic")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I can never decide whether it is Bob or Adams who is the worst cartoonist posted in this thread... Largely because I can't tell them apart.

• Locked thread