Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

If you want the best gear you have to play airsoft.

Moms everywhere keep threatening to cut airsoft spending, but they won't so long as it continues to get their shut in man-children out of the basement every weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCM4y6gOQdM&hd=1

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just saw one of those 15 second ads on youtube for MacDil AFB Airforce Reserve and it showed an F-22 flying around and then it showed a dad showing his son how to fish and then says something like "you hear that son? that's the sound of freedom."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If I were to make an ad for US Federal jobs, it would be a Grover analogue chasing a red laser dot right into a CGI anthropomorphic USAJOBS. com talking laptop.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Lol

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Godholio posted:

If you want the best gear you have to play airsoft.

Fun fact, some of the replica kit holds up better than the real stuff :cripes:

Ended up running a Pantac carrier overseas just because my issued one was such a hunk of poo poo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Do you mean to tell me the U.S. Military issued you inadequate, beat-to-poo poo gear totally inappropriate for your mission? :aaa:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do you mean to tell me the U.S. Military issued you inadequate, beat-to-poo poo gear totally inappropriate for your mission? :aaa:

Well, to be fair, they gave me some sweet ESS glasses and Camelbak gloves, so I guess it wasn't a total wash

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Skilcraft

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Everyone knows blind people make the best pens, highlighters, and other art supplies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Everyone knows blind people make the best pens, highlighters, and other art supplies.

Also the best fitting clothing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And toilet paper. Made with pride...

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

And toilet paper. Made with pride...

Oh god that toilet paper...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Oh god that toilet paper...

"Facial Grade"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Anything other than the ship provided toilet paper will clog the VCHT and if caught use is punishable under article 92.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Should just switch to seashells imho

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anything other than the ship provided toilet paper will clog the VCHT and if caught use is punishable under article 92.

Where do ships store all their poo, and what happens when that system breaks?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Red87 posted:

Once you pass 12 miles away from any shoreline you dump it into the water after processing.

When it breaks? Toilets are shut off and back up. Almost every stall will end up with turds in it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Once you pass 12 miles away from any shoreline you dump it into the water after processing.

When it breaks? Toilets are shut off and back up. Almost every stall will end up with turds in it.

I remember once we were having a swim day off the back of the ship somewhere in the South Pacific, so they lowered and flooded the welldeck so people could swim out... and they forgot to close the sewage off. Cue about 60 to 80 Sailors and Marines swimming in their own poo poo. Prophetic, really.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Red87 posted:

For a sub, it goes into a tank and gets pumped/blown out later on.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Thump! posted:

Fun fact, some of the replica kit holds up better than the real stuff :cripes:

Ended up running a Pantac carrier overseas just because my issued one was such a hunk of poo poo.

kuwait? qatar? evertime someone says overseas instead of just iraq or afghanistan it always end up being somewhere like kyrgyzstan

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

kuwait? qatar? evertime someone says overseas instead of just iraq or afghanistan it always end up being somewhere like kyrgyzstan

He did a WestPac MEU or something. So Thailand and Okinawa.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

^^^^
This. I'm POG as gently caress.

Edit: Loved the POG life and ship bitches so much I did it twice in a row.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mustang posted:

Just saw one of those 15 second ads on youtube for MacDil AFB Airforce Reserve and it showed an F-22 flying around and then it showed a dad showing his son how to fish and then says something like "you hear that son? that's the sound of freedom."

Tell me that the F-22 then transformed into a bald eagle

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Koesj posted:

The problem is not the autoloader per se, the Leclerc, K2, and Type 10 all have autoloaders but are more survivable because their ammo is stored in separate compartments with armored bulkheads and blowout panels to protect the crew from ammo cooking off after a hit (as in the M1, Leopard 2, Challies, etc.) The 'problem' (if you will) with Soviet designs from the T-64 onward is that they indeed store their ammo on the bottom of the turret in a rotating carousel. This is a robust system and provides for decent reload speed, while the armor on the forward chassis of the tank (aka the glacis) should provide enough frontal protection bar hits which would have taken out the tank anyway.

Like so:

It's a big trade-off, although no worse than contemporary ones made in the West. Remember, design work for the T-64 started in the early sixties, so its analogues were the M60, Leopard I, and Chieftain. Ultimately, if you expect to be on the advance 90% of the time, while having numbers on your side, it might not be that bad of a choice. Overall, the Soviets got a shitload of capabilities out of their approach, with for example relatively great protection on their smallish turrets:

Yeah this is a can of worms since every armchair Zhukov out there will loudly claim that Iraqi tanks was a fourth rate cast-offs. Supposedly they didn't have the ceramic inserts which would have significantly upped turret protection for example (darker areas in the above pic). All in all it's a bit disingenuous since those T-72M/M1s were good enough to be delivered to Warsaw Pact allies back in the day, and they were supposed to carry their weight if push had come to shove.

I can't recall whether or not fire control systems were degraded in the export version as well, and I gather the initial munitions were probably poo poo too. Then again, one excellent source on the export T-72 doesn't mention it being a significantly lesser tank (this guy is an ex-NVA armor officer who did a short stint in a BW Leopard 1A5 unit after reunification so he should know what he's talking about).

Since those Syrian tanks got upgraded in all kinds of different ways it's probably a moot point anyway. The one that's shown in the vid has at least the M1M protection package, what with all the ERA bricks attached, and a large number of SAA T-72s got upgraded with thermal sights and better commo gear.

The Iraqi T-72s that I poked my head into in April 2003 had basic sights, no laser rangefinder and shittacular radios. Supposedly they belonged to one of the Republican Guard divisions but those guys all ran away before we got there so who knows which unit they really belonged to. They could have been 'export models' or simply old stock that were never upgraded because Saddam wasn't interested in spending the money on the project. They appeared to be in good mechanical condition (at least before we blew a few of them up) and later on when our orders changed from destroy-in-place to coordinating for the abandoned vehicles to be recovered for re-use some of them were driven under their own power on to the HETs for transport to wherever the bosses decided to send them (probably that giant logistics base SSW of Baghdad).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Always a classic.

I really wish this movie was on HBO GO :(

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
So this is bouncing around on twitter:

https://twitter.com/NewsNinja2012/status/373961292249182208/photo/1

Is that guy identifiable just by his ribbons? I assume he's not supposed to be saying stuff like that while in uniform?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Obdicut posted:

Is that guy identifiable just by his ribbons? I assume he's not supposed to be saying stuff like that while in uniform?

That is a correct assumption, and no, not identifiable just by ribbons.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is a correct assumption, and no, not identifiable just by ribbons.

How seriously does the Navy take stuff like that? Are they going to be rootin' around to find the guy or do they prefer to turn a blind eye as long as they remain anonymous?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sweet jesus, look at those grandparent hands. :barf:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How much of this sentiment would be different if Romney were President.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Obdicut posted:

How seriously does the Navy take stuff like that? Are they going to be rootin' around to find the guy or do they prefer to turn a blind eye as long as they remain anonymous?

They likely aren't going to do much at all. It'd take every jag in the military to handle all the cases of Sailors doing stupid poo poo in pictures.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
He's got some Kuwait Liberation flair.
How many active E-7s can there be with 20+ years of service?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Carteret posted:

Sweet jesus, look at those grandparent hands. :barf:

Well he's a GMC so is likely 50.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I doubt they're going to go after him regardless. He's just a loving idiot. Wouldn't be the first chief to let some dumb poo poo fall out of his face.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
or he might be retired you dumb faggots

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

or he might be retired you dumb faggots

You think this upstanding current/former member of the United States Military may be intentionally misleading people as to whether or not he's still active?

Well I never.

:ssh:

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
lmao at this sick sad world where noble children of gaia willingly sign away their lives to destroy the gentle souls of a sovereign nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Obdicut posted:

Apparently he did sign up for the Navy to fight in Yugoslavia's civil war...

• Locked thread