Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Stick100 posted:

Also given the history of the LG Optimus G I would assume there will be a football season launch of the LG G2.

But surely nobody should actually buy an LG phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Q_res posted:

But surely nobody should actually buy an LG phone?

I wouldn't usually recommend it. The Optimus G didn't seem to have any major problems, but I think we sold about 5 of them total. Every other LG is a regular visitor to our service center.

Though the Epic Touch/Galaxy S2 is our most frequent replacement, so who knows at this point.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Don't forget about the Moto X.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Any word on when either will come to sprint?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

RodShaft posted:

Any word on when either will come to sprint?
No, but it's not surprising. The Blackberry Q10 was just released on Sprint today (for some reason), we only found out the launch day two weeks ago. Before that, there was a "coming soon" page up on the web site for months.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I suppose it goes without saying, but sales-wise, I'm sure the "next big thing" is the iPhone 5S.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know if anybody's done this with my phone (HTC Arrive) but would repairing a charge port involve soldering and all that?
I thought MicroUSB ports were supposed to be good for bazillions of uses.

Edit: I pulled it apart and I guess I will just activate my spare device tomorrow and swap the SD card so I don't have to redo everything.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 1, 2013

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CharlesM posted:

I don't know if anybody's done this with my phone (HTC Arrive) but would repairing a charge port involve soldering and all that?

Edit: I pulled it apart and I guess I will just activate my spare device tomorrow and swap the SD card so I don't have to redo everything.

The microsd doesn't work like that. Don't remove it or everything is gone and the card will be useless. (its locked to the WP its formatted in.) Only a few Symbian devices can unlock it.

Also it shouldn't be too hard to fix or get fixed once you open it all up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

May your HTC arrive Rest in Peace. Your info on micro USB was def wrong.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, I was also under the impression that MicroUSB was specifically designed to have the cable end wear out before the phone's plug components do.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

td4guy posted:

Yeah, I was also under the impression that MicroUSB was specifically designed to have the cable end wear out before the phone's plug components do.

There are little spikey things on the bottom side of the plug that keep it snug I'm the socket. Those wear out more quickly than the the rest of the port or cable with proper use. A port becoming removed from the board is caused by some sort of physical trauma. Sometimes it happens all at once like trying to plug the cable in upside down, other times it's over a long period of time like wiggling the cable to pull it out.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Does Network Vision include better reception inside of buildings? Because right now, in San Francisco, I'm not really sure what "service" I'm paying for... I can barely get reception outdoors most of the time. :suicide:

Edit: Sorry that this is a low content post. I'm just so incredibly frustrated with Sprint's service these days, I can't deal with it much longer. My One is about ready to take a jump from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sonicice posted:

Does Network Vision include better reception inside of buildings? Because right now, in San Francisco, I'm not really sure what "service" I'm paying for... I can barely get reception outdoors most of the time. :suicide:

Edit: Sorry that this is a low content post. I'm just so incredibly frustrated with Sprint's service these days, I can't deal with it much longer. My One is about ready to take a jump from the Golden Gate Bridge.

LTE is mostly on the same frequency as 3G, so building penetration will stay about the same unfortunately.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Network Vision still has a long way to go, even in San Francisco. The majority of towers still have the old 3G antennas (missing out on that "up to 15% better reception"), still wired to the old slow backhaul. And the 850SMR service quite possibly hasn't been turned on yet, so building penetration is still iffy. LTE on the 850SMR band will require a new phone (so far unreleased), and the LTE itself won't be turned on until next year sometime.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

td4guy posted:

Network Vision still has a long way to go, even in San Francisco. The majority of towers still have the old 3G antennas (missing out on that "up to 15% better reception"), still wired to the old slow backhaul. And the 850SMR service quite possibly hasn't been turned on yet, so building penetration is still iffy. LTE on the 850SMR band will require a new phone (so far unreleased), and the LTE itself won't be turned on until next year sometime.

Do NV towers already support the new LTE bands and just need to be switched on or will that be another rollout?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

FlyingCheese posted:

Do NV towers already support the new LTE bands and just need to be switched on or will that be another rollout?
It's a matter of getting the backend data connection up and running, then it can be switched on. As far as I've been told, it won't actually require another visit to the tower once the data is up.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Holy crap I want to cry. 4G is live in Phoenix. It's real, it's really real.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Um, what's with the ASCII jizzing penis? Is that a custom LTE signal bar?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Um, what's with the ASCII jizzing penis? Is that a custom LTE signal bar?

Just a custom carrier. Jail break needed obviously.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Are LTE enabled towers already upgraded with faster backhaul before they flip the switch to turn LTE on?

About a half mile away (too far to pick up at the apartment of course), I can hop on LTE and get ridiculous 30 Mbps speed tests with full bars. Drive south another 5 minutes and the tower down there maxes out at like 2 Mbps (with full bars and low ping).

If anything, the "fast" tower is probably under heavier load due to being in the middle of a bunch of strip malls and some apartment complexes.

This is in South Florida, but I ran into nearly the exact same situation out in Oregon. I just don't understand where the huge variance is coming from unless Sprint just decides certain towers need faster backhaul than others.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Leathal posted:

Are LTE enabled towers already upgraded with faster backhaul before they flip the switch to turn LTE on?

Not necessarily. The vendors that install the backhaul are separate and different entities than the contractors working on the towers. The end solution is, I guess, the ability for Sprint to adjust backhaul on the fly so that towers that need it most can get additional bandwidth without having to physically run more fiber to the tower. I don't know though, the longer this NV debacle goes on the less confidence I have it will ever be fixed or work properly, who knows with Sprint?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

Holy crap I want to cry. 4G is live in Phoenix. It's real, it's really real.

I checked Sensorly, there's been a lot of area added around the 101/60 and going south from there. I haven't seen it myself yet; I hope it shows up soon because lately Sprint's service way out on my end of town has been so bad that my wife's iPhone can barely keep up a voice call with her indoors. 3G has been basically broken for me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

the longer this NV debacle goes on the less confidence I have it will ever be fixed or work properly, who knows with Sprint?
Yeah, I have up on waiting and hoping they came around. I took advantage of the trade-in program at best buy, swapped over to Verizon and it is absolutely incredible.

Sure, it costs a bit more per month, but for the first time since switching to sprint I feel like my money is actually GETTING something.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Leathal posted:

About a half mile away (too far to pick up at the apartment of course), I can hop on LTE and get ridiculous 30 Mbps speed tests with full bars. Drive south another 5 minutes and the tower down there maxes out at like 2 Mbps (with full bars and low ping).

If anything, the "fast" tower is probably under heavier load due to being in the middle of a bunch of strip malls and some apartment complexes.

This is in South Florida, but I ran into nearly the exact same situation out in Oregon. I just don't understand where the huge variance is coming from unless Sprint just decides certain towers need faster backhaul than others.
Yes, new backhaul is a requirement before they flip the switch to turn on LTE. The "slow tower" is either a) only recently turned on and still being tested/tuned, or b) still the same "fast tower" just further away with a crappy signal. Remember, the reception bars on your phone will never reflect the level of LTE reception.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I've been hitting major deadzones through Manhattan and Queens, the size of city blocks, for the last week or so. Anyone else have this issue?

Related to that issue, is there a way to force my GS3 to roam on Verizon's voice. I have a phone interview next week and I don't want to depend on Sprint's ability to figure out their tower situation around here.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 6, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've been ordered to remove all old rate plan brochures from my store as of yesterday. Looks like they're going to cease offering the old plans altogether soon.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Wizard of Smart posted:

I've been ordered to remove all old rate plan brochures from my store as of yesterday. Looks like they're going to cease offering the old plans altogether soon.

So does that mean the golden age of unlimited data is coming to an end?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

OptimusMatrix posted:

So does that mean the golden age of unlimited data is coming to an end?

No, because they still have My All In and Unlimited My Way. They're just axing the Simply Everything plans.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Has anyone looked into buying/selling SERO plans lately? I'm trying to determine what fair market value is for one.

I'm moving to Ireland and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep Sprint around on the off chance that "I might come back".

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ryanbruce posted:

Has anyone looked into buying/selling SERO plans lately? I'm trying to determine what fair market value is for one.

I'm moving to Ireland and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep Sprint around on the off chance that "I might come back".
Like $200, I'd say.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Glanced down at my phone today and noticed a little 4G on my Galaxy Nexus.

Looks like McAllen, TX finally has LTE (spots in South Texas had it but only along the expressway)

Have seen it bouncing around 10Mbps up to about 24Mbps. Last couple of tests have been hovering around 18Mbps

Edit: Sorry, had posted from my phone and it wasn't that bad on there

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 7, 2013

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

From Sprint Support posted:

Thank you very much for all the detailed information. I have done further research into the area you provided. At this time I am showing that the owner of the tower that supports the area has notified Sprint that they are no longer able to provide service at this tower. Our technicians are working on other options at this time to provide a resolution as quickly as possible.
...the gently caress?

That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Now, I am going to have to beg for a airave or whatever.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is there a name for the mental disorder that makes people believe anyone wants to see their fuckoff huge Speedtest screenshots?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Q_res posted:

Is there a name for the mental disorder that makes people believe anyone wants to see their fuckoff huge Speedtest screenshots?

Don't you want to know when each and every small town that goons live in get LTE?!

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ryanbruce posted:

You are not able to do a transfer of liability for sero lines. So they pretty much killed selling sero lines.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Allaniis posted:

...the gently caress?

That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Now, I am going to have to beg for a airave or whatever.
Dude. This is your golden opportunity. Offer to have Sprint put up a replacement tower on your property.

Giblet posted:

You are not able to do a transfer of liability for sero lines. So they pretty much killed selling sero lines.
You can transfer them to other SERO line owners.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Giblet posted:

Yeah, I had a really tough time when I grabbed a plan for my sister off ebay about a year ago. Like, fifteen calls tough. I honestly don't even remember how I finally managed to get them to do it. I think it may have been through echat in the end.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Allaniis posted:

...the gently caress?

Our customers haven't had any luck getting those for free anymore. I suppose there may be some way to escalate it (maybe through retentions?), but we got yelled at a couple of times by people who were told it would be like $180.

Seems like it's the kind of thing they'd let you out of your contract for, though.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

TVs Ian posted:

Our customers haven't had any luck getting those for free anymore. I suppose there may be some way to escalate it (maybe through retentions?), but we got yelled at a couple of times by people who were told it would be like $180.

Seems like it's the kind of thing they'd let you out of your contract for, though.

This is probably due to network vision. Every single subscriber is likely to go though some period of poo poo service at home when towers in their area are being worked on. Calls for airaves probably sky rocket due to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

AFAIK the AirRaves are still on backorder anyway.