Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

1. Not definitively I don't think, you can probably figure out when the AFCE gets the NFCN next but it would depend on the previous year's finish.
2. That's probatable these days I believe and never because you don't enter the HoF with a particular team. Or you could look at it as 2016 when he'll enter as a Packer (and Falcon, Jet and Viking).

Actually, the Packers do have their own HoF so he could be inducted into it before the general Pro HoF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pig in the City posted:

Checking in. I'm Australian and trying to learn the game from a distance. Got myself Madden '12 and am taking the Seahawks to the Superbowl.

Just remember its like Aussie rules football only considerably less cryptic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just remember its like Aussie rules football only considerably less cryptic.

Just remember the Steelers are basically Collingwood with even more criminal fans and players. The Browns are Melbourne. :smith:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
More criminals than Australia? Let's not be absurd

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What do most of you pay attention to when watching a football game? My process has always been: stare at center until snap -> watch qb shuffle around/rb take the ball -> watch what unfolds. I'm sure there are better things to pay attention to, though. I don't know anything about line play, shifts, where the D stands, what happens in the backfield..basically my entire focus is on the ball when there are 21 other players on the field without possession of the ball that are doing crazy cool stuff that I'm missing out on. A huge increase in my basketball enjoyment was when someone here recommended I pay attention to how the team on D shifted based on ball movement. Is football like this as well? I feel so ashamed, I've loved football for years but I feel like there is so much I'm missing out on.. :(

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pre-snap I prefer to focus on the secondary and the receivers/backs, and try to guess where the play is going to go based on that. I'm right about as often as I'm wrong, but it's fun trying to get into coordinator's heads.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
If I was really trying to scrutinize I'd try and split my attention between the linebackers and the offensive linemen. How the linemen move and how the linebackers react give you clues to both what the play is and how it's probably going to go.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

For televised games I usually end up eyeing the QB or whoever has the ball on every play. It's a hard habit to break. During live games, for some reason I always end up focused on a receiver. Might be because it's easier to parse what's going on when you're not looking at a heap of 10-15 guys, but it's not really a conscious thing so :shrug:.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This is a different kind of question, but how much an official jersey usually sells for in shops? My brother is going to the USA next month and I would like to ask him to bring one for me. It looks like there are elite versions, which are almost the same the players use, and other, cheaper ones?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are the differences in skills required to be a good punt returner versus a kick returner?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What other people said, but next time you see a game live, sit in the end zones for a different perspective. Its much easier to see the run game and the blocking schemes from that view than from the sides or TV.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

OperaMouse posted:

What are the differences in skills required to be a good punt returner versus a kick returner?

Generally you're looking for a more straight ahead speed with a KR and guy with better moves for the PR. Generally this is the same person, though. Unless the guy also starts on the offense, in which case he'll might only play one to keep him somewhat fresh.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A good write-up.

quote:

A punt returner has to create space. He does this by hesitating, changing direction, setting up blocks, and navigating through the coverage before he fully accelerates.

On the other side, a kick returner has to take space. He does this by finding a crease and accelerating through it. He accelerates once he's into the kick coverage (much like RB accelerates into the defense), rather than once he gets through it as a PR does. It's like the difference between executing an off tackle run (kick return) and executing a screen pass (punt return).

Kick returners don't set up their blocks like punt returners do. They simply follow them. It is much more scheme-oriented than punt returning. Blockers on KR have assigned targets whereas blockers on PR are more "seek and destroy." They go to a certain area of the field and attack the first threat. Often times, in the PR game, the idea is to simply get your body into the cover man's path, between him and the returner, and literally BLOCK him (a lot of big blocks on PR come when the blocker is standing still, but was able to get into the cover man's path while he's in transition... turning or changing direction to pursue the returner).

From a philosophical/strategic standpoint, PR is oriented much more toward deception and economy of force, whereas KR is very man-to-man and the execution of brute, overwhelming force (how else would you describe a 'wedge'?).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Punt returner also has to be not a goddamn moron and know when to fair catch, and I'm sure all of us have a shining example of someone from your team who could not achieve this.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Or know when not to fair catch, a task Stefan Logan miserably failed at when he fair caught at the four-yard line.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

Punt returner also has to be not a goddamn moron and know when to fair catch, and I'm sure all of us have a shining example of someone from your team who could not achieve this.

For every problem, there is a simple solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWYvCo8Rvw

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

A Violence Gang posted:

KYLE WILLIAMS RUN AWAY FROM THE BALL :gonk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is a different kind of question, but how much an official jersey usually sells for in shops? My brother is going to the USA next month and I would like to ask him to bring one for me. It looks like there are elite versions, which are almost the same the players use, and other, cheaper ones?

The official nike jerseys are like 100 dollars minimum. Buy an old reebok jersey off ebay. They were the official maker for a long time up until last year so theres tons and tons of their old inventory that never sold.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

OperaMouse posted:

In the NFL, the kick returner has to be good at letting the ball fly over his head for a touchback ;) (Seriously though, what everyone else said... plus the punt return is tougher because the fair catch can be a tough decision, you are often in traffic, and any mistake is a likely turnover, so coaches are sometimes more conservative there [slower guy with better head and/or hands])

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm thinking of following the NFL this season, I just binged through Friday Night lights so it's got me in the mood for more football (yeah,yeah I know). I'm Australian so never really followed it very closely, any suggestions for an up and coming team that I should follow?
If it helps I follow Port Adelaide in the AFL (Australian Football league) for any other aussies out there. I was thinking Buffalo Bills because they have a kick rear end name, not a clue as to their performance or standing though!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Wrong thread woooops.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cloud the Cat posted:

I was thinking Buffalo Bills because they have a kick rear end name, not a clue as to their performance or standing though!

Both of those are...pretty bad. They've been terrible since the '90s.

Having said that: unless you'll give up the game if the team you choose isn't good just go with whoever you want I'd say. There are reasons for every team to hope including the Bills (even if it probably won't work out in the end).

e: If you want a good team that you won't be seen as a bandwagoner for following the Bengals should be pretty good, they've been improving for the last few years but aren't really there yet. As a bonus you get an owner who's really worth hating, which is a proud NFL fan tradition.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Both of those are...pretty bad. They've been terrible since the '90s.

Having said that: unless you'll give up the game if the team you choose isn't good just go with whoever you want I'd say. There are reasons for every team to hope including the Bills (even if it probably won't work out in the end).

e: If you want a good team that you won't be seen as a bandwagoner for following the Bengals should be pretty good, they've been improving for the last few years but aren't really there yet. As a bonus you get an owner who's really worth hating, which is a proud NFL fan tradition.

Perfect, Thanks! I'll check out the Bengals.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Edit not GDT

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Cloud the Cat posted:

If it helps I follow Port Adelaide in the AFL (Australian Football league) for any other aussies out there. I was thinking Buffalo Bills because they have a kick rear end name, not a clue as to their performance or standing though!

Looooooool at this post. You would be a Bills fan for about three weeks.

Bengals are a good choice, as are the Seahawks. They're on the West Coast of NA - what's the time difference like? Do they play games live, or on tape delay?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
If you want a Port Adelaide equivalent in the NFL I would recommend the Jaguars.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm thinking of following the NFL this season, I just binged through Friday Night lights so it's got me in the mood for more football (yeah,yeah I know). I'm Australian so never really followed it very closely, any suggestions for an up and coming team that I should follow?

I'm an Australian Bills fan (kill me) and a good way to learn the game is through the Madden games. GamePass is also a must. Jags is a pretty apt comparison to the Power but I also think Bengals fit the progress Port showed under Hinkley. Hard Knocks would be a good gateway to knowing a bit more behind the scenes.
P.S post more in the AFL thread Cloud, I picked Port to upset the Pies!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cloud the Cat posted:

Perfect, Thanks! I'll check out the Bengals.

Follow anyone except the Pats, Cowboys, or Packers. Follow the Titans, there aren't any Titans fans here so they need some rep. Or you can join the cool kids club and follow the Dolphins.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Follow anyone except the Pats, Cowboys, or Packers. Follow the Titans, there aren't any Titans fans here so they need some rep. Or you can join the cool kids club and follow the Dolphins.

I know you're a steelers fan, but they should be on the "do not follow" list as well. He would just be accused of bandwagoning if he joined the Terible Towel crowd.plus there are too many of you already.

Cheer for the Rams, they're decent and fanless.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

No one cares who you root for. I'd suggest just watching a bunch of games and let your allegiance develop organically.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Start at the ground floor. Be a Raider fan.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

R.D. Mangles posted:

No one cares who you root for. I'd suggest just watching a bunch of games and let your allegiance develop organically.

This and also TFF is literally the last place you should go for a suggestion cause everyone is incredibly partial.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Start at the ground floor. Be a Raider fan.

ground floor isn't a team with multiple superbowl championships hth

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The other obvious solution is to play a bunch of Tecmo Super Bowl and become an LA Rams fan because of Henry Ellard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This and also TFF is literally the last place you should go for a suggestion cause everyone is incredibly partial.

Following the Dolphins is still an objectively good idea. Enough misery so that you become used to the idea that football is inherently unfair but not so much that it turns you off entirely.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Declan MacManus posted:

Following the Dolphins is still an objectively good idea. Enough misery so that you become used to the idea that football is inherently unfair but not so much that it turns you off entirely.

Nope, can't root for them. Their coach's son raped someone a few years ago! I really like Philbin and feel bad that he had to deal with such poo poo.

Thinking back to my college days, it can be pretty hard to get into football without a team to root for. My friends who didn't really have teams or any rooting interest had a lot of problems with sitting down and enjoying the sport. Like others have said, pick a team that's decent now and on the upswing. You'll enjoy their success and not look like a front-runner.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 6, 2013

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Just don't root for the Packers.

Root for the Lions. They're a very dependable team.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SteelAngel2000 posted:

ground floor isn't a team with multiple superbowl championships hth

It's this and the hate fire of charger fans that has kept me warm during the long night that has been this past decade.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Just watch a ton of football at first. The gameday threads put up the least you need to know about who's playing each game. Eventually, you'll find some player / offensive or defensive style / close exciting win that makes you want to watch their game next week. That's your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
Are there any other websites than NFL.com for video highlights of the games? Longer/more than 5 seconds break down of key plays?

I'm a UK fan so a lot of the time the games aren’t on at great times for me the watch live and those highlight videos are the only way for me to see them at the moment.

• Locked thread