Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

Re: Chocolate Rain -- The song is like 5 minutes long, apparently, and the author has Keys/PK play the right hand for most of the song with the occasional left-hand section to break up the monotony. If that's all the preview video shows, that was just an unfortunate editing coincidence.

Re: Group X -- Mario Twins and Schfifty-Five are definitely better-known, but this song is special to me and my wife; we quote it at each other like idiots all the time. It also fits the Rock Band instrument model fairly well, and frankly was easier to chart than the other two. (Laziness is a large part of my customs authoring decisions.)

Also I totally flew off the handle and posted a rant in the release thread for this week on our forums! You should go check it out if you want to drink the tears and rage of a self-destructing community.

That stuff is super interesting! Yeah, I guess when you think about it the keys part of Chocolate Rain is probably absurdly repetitive, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm sorry about the crap you guys have to put up with after spending your time working on things for no compensation and out of kindness to the community. I appreciate the work that goes into creating these customs and am thankful for the time you put into it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Tato posted:

I'm sorry about the crap you guys have to put up with after spending your time working on things for no compensation and out of kindness to the community. I appreciate the work that goes into creating these customs and am thankful for the time you put into it.

This means a lot! Thank you.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pksage posted:

This means a lot! Thank you.

Yeah you guys rock and gently caress the haters.

If you can get "One of these Nights" by Eagles on here one of these weeks I will love you even more!

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
No yeah you guys are seriously doing some amazing-rear end stuff. I mean, for pete's sake, after next week, you'll have gone into your sixth month of operation! You champs have been doing a great job, and I only wish I had the free time to spend trying to add some tunes to aid the cause. Ha, I mean, heck, I've dreamt of my own little 'Internet Songs Collection,' and none of the ones I thought of were in here. You want it in, you chart it yourself, eh?
Oh this obviously goes to the fellas with the Harmonics Project and the Guitar Hero conversion project as well, wherever they are. I am in awe of everyone's talent and dedication as has been presented thus far!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pksage posted:

Also I totally flew off the handle and posted a rant in the release thread for this week on our forums! You should go check it out if you want to drink the tears and rage of a self-destructing community.

You can't say that and not give a link :allears:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The customs creators collective is the best thing to happen to Rock Band since Pro mode. It's gotta be stupidly time consuming and I know you don't make a dime from it, but I'm so happy you guys are around. Rock Band is already the best music game under the sun, and you people are making it that much better every week you continue. Thank you, sincerely.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, a recent HDD failure means I have to redownload everything you've ever released, ever.

You bastards need to pick more B-sides and personal favourites causing I've got like 90% of your catalog to download and it's really annoying just how many songs you guys put out that I can't go without now that I know they're there. Stop having awesome taste in music choices, okay?

But in all seriousness, thanks. If I wasn't an anti-social troglodyte all these songs would be massive hits at those parties I could be having.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
So I just got home from PAX and a startling number of people at the Rock Band stage know me by name (and really really love me).
I mean, I know people like my stuff, but I guess I have a straight-up following now and I was being treated like a celebrity by strangers that follow everything I do and knew everything about me before meeting me. :stare:
If you're a PAX attendee, drop by the RB stage (by the cafe, not the HMX booth). You can point out how funny I look in real life and play customs (which we are running on the PAX stage).

Also, just as many people in real life ask me to make Hey Jude already as they do on the internet.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh hey I'll be there tomorrow probably, I got to go to PAX for all of 10 minutes before being dragged away for lunch. Then a live stream of a thing. Then the kickstarter party.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Manuel Calavera posted:

You can't say that and not give a link :allears:

I make a point not to link to C3 stuff due to :filez: concerns, and it's not a very good meltdown. Our issue has been that many people with the time to be Rock Band authors have used Tact as their dump stat. We don't care when Johnny Internet talks poo poo, but it's problematic when our own authors are non-constructively critical in public. It makes us look bad.

Thanks again for the praise, guys. I wasn't fishing for it, but it means a lot to us that people play our little bundles of MIDI joy. :shobon:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair point. And I went to look after I got up anyways, it certainly is amusing. Hopefully they'll take the hint. Yer doin the laird's work.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sort of a repost from a while ago, but what's the best drum pedal to get from a durability standpoint? Quality and authenticity are secondary concerns; all I really want is something that can withstand multiple Rock Band parties without breaking (unlike the 4 stock pedals I've gone through :downsrim:)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
It's moving week in this college town and I found most of a drum kit, took all of the parts for it and stuffed them in a box. Including an extra pedal, that poo poo will come in handy someday!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Minidust posted:

Sort of a repost from a while ago, but what's the best drum pedal to get from a durability standpoint? Quality and authenticity are secondary concerns; all I really want is something that can withstand multiple Rock Band parties without breaking (unlike the 4 stock pedals I've gone through :downsrim:)

Your big problems are the pedal itself cracking and the joint that secures the pedal breaking. The best way around this, naturally, is building your own.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Declan MacManus posted:

Your big problems are the pedal itself cracking and the joint that secures the pedal breaking. The best way around this, naturally, is building your own.
Hmm, I'm not very handy but that's worth a look at least. Thanks!

Are the drum pedals platform-agnostic? Like, could I take a stray pedal from a stock PS3, Wii, or even PS2 kit and use it with my 360 drumset?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Minidust posted:

Hmm, I'm not very handy but that's worth a look at least. Thanks!

Are the drum pedals platform-agnostic? Like, could I take a stray pedal from a stock PS3, Wii, or even PS2 kit and use it with my 360 drumset?

It's just a contact sensor attached to a 1/8" mono cable so I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes, they're all just 1/8” mono plugs, all the platform specific stuff is in the controller part.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for September 6, 2013:

New! Powerful Female Voices 3-pack (farottone)
  • Alanis Morissette - "Perfect"
  • Nina Simone - "My Baby Just Cares for Me"
  • Portishead - "Glory Box"
From the Vault: Singles
  • Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (TrojanNemo)
  • Nine Inch Nails - "Hurt" (Nightmare Lyre and TrojanNemo)
  • Soundgarden - "Black Rain" (TrojanNemo)
  • Sum 41 - "Motivation" (TrojanNemo)
  • Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" (RyanHYK and TrojanNemo)

My only regret about this week is that "Hurt" (both of them) will be the new "Creep" at Rock Band parties.

Necroblashyrkh
Nov 14, 2004
hope u got :10bux: lol
Awesome! Portishead and some jazz piano!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Holy poo poo Nina Simone.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was about to ask which version of Hurt it was (Quiet or Loud.) And the Quiet version was certainly a good choice! Any chance there'll be more Cash coming? I'd loving love to sing Man in Black sometime.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
...does this mean there's a possibility we will be getting all of Jagged Little Pill eventually?

And I think Ice Ice Baby would be more likely to be overplayed at parties, but maybe I just have weird friends.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Quinctia posted:

And I think Ice Ice Baby would be more likely to be overplayed at parties, but maybe I just have weird friends.

As a karaoke veteran, I'd rather hear a horribly awkward rendition of a hip-hop song that isn't picked very often over a mediocre-to-decent rendition of "Creep".

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Thank you to whoever did portishead. You are amazing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pksage posted:

As a karaoke veteran, I'd rather hear a horribly awkward rendition of a hip-hop song that isn't picked very often over a mediocre-to-decent rendition of "Creep".

Try getting the Northern Kings version of Creep. Of course, it has four male vocal parts, but...

RHX
Oct 20, 2005

Quinctia posted:

...does this mean there's a possibility we will be getting all of Jagged Little Pill eventually?

I believe this is the fifth song off the album so fingers crossed that's going to be the case!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

At the Pax after-party, the Xbox we were using had so many mods from so many memory units choking it that the cache took a poo poo and something in the harmony upgrades prevented all the RB1 songs from loading.
This was ok because all it did was stop people from playing "Creep" and "Welcome Home".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RHX posted:

I believe this is the fifth song off the album so fingers crossed that's going to be the case!

All I Really Want next please

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Orange Harrison posted:

At the Pax after-party, the Xbox we were using had so many mods from so many memory units choking it that the cache took a poo poo and something in the harmony upgrades prevented all the RB1 songs from loading.
This was ok because all it did was stop people from playing "Creep" and "Welcome Home".

Oh goddammit, I knew I forgot to do something this PAX. I remember reading that you and Kaboobi were there while I was working at PAX and totally forgot. :smith:

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

ElwoodCuse posted:

All I Really Want next please

I'd love Forgiven, personally.

I'm still waiting for this flaky guy I work with to hook me up with a free 360, so I don't have customs set up yet. I'm not too impatient to give up on waiting for free just yet.

And I'm amazed that people are still migrating to Creep and Welcome Home. I'm the only one I know that would ever pick those in a party situation--of any disc setlist, we tend to overplay the RB2 ones, though. Then again, can one really overplay Everlong? I do get flak for picking Runaway by Bon Jovi all the time, because I will play it on every single instrument without prejudice.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Quinctia posted:

I'd love Forgiven, personally.

I'm still waiting for this flaky guy I work with to hook me up with a free 360, so I don't have customs set up yet. I'm not too impatient to give up on waiting for free just yet.

And I'm amazed that people are still migrating to Creep and Welcome Home. I'm the only one I know that would ever pick those in a party situation--of any disc setlist, we tend to overplay the RB2 ones, though. Then again, can one really overplay Everlong? I do get flak for picking Runaway by Bon Jovi all the time, because I will play it on every single instrument without prejudice.

1) Never feel bad about playing Runaway, ever
2) I'm glad the RB night I go to has for a long time had a long time has had enough songs to stop the RB1 disc songs from getting repeated every night...but I swear, every. single. goddamn. new band ALWAYS picks Bohemian Rhapsody. Without fail.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Picking Runaway means you didn't pick Livin' on a Prayer again, and (in the long run) that's good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quinctia posted:

Last party I had, I picked Runaway and everybody on the mics bailed cause apparently nobody knew the song. I was shocked. And got a lot of complaints that I wasted my turn by not picking Livin' on a Prayer.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wonder if it's a geographical thing; I imagine Runaway was probably not much more than a regional hit, probably got played on WNEW and suchlike, but may not have gotten the exposure the Slippery When Wet record did?

(Sorry, born in New Jersey and have an interest in pop music's spread, radio markets and all that sort of thing.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Probably not, I've heard it on the radio around here before.

And it was an odd night for song choices, anyway... at one point somebody accidentally picked Prequel to the Sequel, and a couple of girls ran to the mics when the vocals started up so they could "sing" like the cookie monster, but then when we picked Bohemian Rhapsody it was just the one dude who wasn't into it at all and gave up halfway through. :psyduck:

Probably one of the more fun Rock Band nights, but I knew like five people there and pegged nobody's taste in music correctly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

when we picked Bohemian Rhapsody it was just the one dude who wasn't into it at all and gave up halfway through.

How the gently caress? I've played this song among many types of crowds, and it's always the entire room singing along. He really didn't get a second wind partially into the song?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly have no idea what happened, I was at the food table and wandered back in time to see him give up and nobody take his place. We were still and hour away from packing up, too. I guess a bunch of people took a smoke break or something cause Don't Stop Believing earlier and Don't Stop Me Now later had the expected results of a dozen or so people singing along. It was bizarre and will bother me to my grave.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I honestly have no idea what happened, I was at the food table and wandered back in time to see him give up and nobody take his place.

You were there. :stare:

I can't sing worth a drat (I've had friends tell me to stop and never sing again), but if someone left Bohemian loving Rhapsody hanging, I'd fill in immediately. I do enjoy singing along while I drum, but I usually have the safety of a mob backing me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
This is why the person with the mic picks the song, every time. Drummers and guitarists can sight read that poo poo, but the singer doesn't know or like the song that's going to be awkward.

• Locked thread