Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Daerc posted:

We didn't even get to successfully abuse it for anything :(

I hope it doesn't just flat out disable the ability in instances, though. That would suck.

nah, but now their fix has broken instance locks for 5mans and you cant do the same expert twice in a day even if you random it. :trion: as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

nah, but now their fix has broken instance locks for 5mans and you cant do the same expert twice in a day even if you random it. :trion: as gently caress.

I dunno that seems like a good thing. I hate getting the same instance again on random (even if that's, yes, how random works etc etc) just cuz it's so boring.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Zoness posted:

I dunno that seems like a good thing. I hate getting the same instance again on random (even if that's, yes, how random works etc etc) just cuz it's so boring.

Yeah, really glad I don't have to keep doing the same loving thing now that I've started experting again.
Kinda sucks that folks can't grind for poo poo, but not my problem.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
it's more that when i burn the 5 or 6 experts i have sitting around every wednesday i dont want to have to leave groups and get deserter.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

shut up gelly posted:

it's more that when i burn the 5 or 6 experts i have sitting around every wednesday i dont want to have to leave groups and get deserter.

Wait, you can get assigned to the expert but not be allowed in? Is that what you're saying?

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I'm a loving gigantic nerd shut in whose friends are all like 'oh hey Asshags come play this game with us we promise we won't suck up more hours of your basically unlimited time for doing nothing at all!' so yeah, invite Harkness so I can be all wizzad n poo poo and find out the pro strats for nukedotnukedotwhoosh.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

Wait, you can get assigned to the expert but not be allowed in? Is that what you're saying?

yeah. me and a friend force queued archive today (he needs death toll) as usual, and when we did a random and got archive we were both kicked out due to instance locks.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

shut up gelly posted:

yeah. me and a friend force queued archive today (he needs death toll) as usual, and when we did a random and got archive we were both kicked out due to instance locks.

Whelp, I guess I won't be bothering with experts for a little while. That sounds terrible.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
the dot from the spectral hand proc gets bolstered by the warlord crystal and each stack of it counts as a dot for brutal strike, which means warriors with that trinket no longer need to have flamespear in their dot refresh.

this game is so dumb sometimes :allears:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

quote:

* PVP Auto Flag is now disabled by default.

I don't know why this was ever on by default :mad:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Looks like more hair colors/styles coming in 2.4

https://twitter.com/Riftgame/status/372876506059403264/photo/1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
That hairstyle already exists though :shrug:

Phryyd
Mar 21, 2013

mr. nobody posted:

I don't know why this was ever on by default :mad:

Some Devs think we all secretly want to pvp, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. This is gonna piss off those people who showed up at zone invasions flagged just to pvp kill ppl who had auto flag on. :)

Pogue Mahone
Apr 5, 2008
posting for ginvite char name Kuladur

solitaire
Jun 9, 2006
Going to ask for an invite for Aiobhell and Dreadrequiel.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

What stability issues?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

deimos posted:

What stability issues?

Looks about right for the day.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Thought I might give this another go, posting for invited for Burma.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any mage purposes that I should stay away from to begin with? Ultimately I want to be some sort of chloromancer, but I'd rather jump up in the levels for a while before I start healing. Is corruptor a good choice, and would Spellblade (and the other souls/purposes) be worth buying?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Droid Washington posted:

Are there any mage purposes that I should stay away from to begin with? Ultimately I want to be some sort of chloromancer, but I'd rather jump up in the levels for a while before I start healing. Is corruptor a good choice, and would Spellblade (and the other souls/purposes) be worth buying?

Well purposes are just basic templates that the game gives you to help you at the beginning. You can follow one that looks good until level 10-15. Once you get in your capital city and have some points, you can then go and just make your own builds. For mages, the SL soul is Harbinger, which is VERY GOOD for leveling. It's pretty much mandatory to have for leveling and endgame stuff, but you could survive without it if you don't want to put the money down on SL souls just yet.

Once you get to the capital city, buy some role slots from the trainer, at least until you have 3 or so. Think of the role slots as completely separate builds that you can switch between when out of combat. As a mage, make one of those roles what you use for general leveling, one of them maybe ranged DPS for IA's/PVP or dungeons, and then maybe a healing one if you want.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

While dealing with souls you'll have people talk about points in each soul instead of purposes. Chloromancer is a good soul to know and have for grouping but isn't good for soloing since you won't kill things quickly. Harbinger is great for soloing and for melee damage in groups. Pyromancer and Necromancer are the go-to souls for ranged damage but don't have the survivability for soloing content in the new SL areas. Elementalist is probably a decent soloing spec and is a good 15 point dump for Necromancer since they have pet synergy. Warlock and Dominator are good for PVP and that's about it, although there are some niche utility for grouping. Archon is one of the few souls you don't go 61 points into, it pairs really well with Pyromancer for a support group spec. Stormcaller is the redheaded step child and no one uses it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Warlock good for PVP? Ahahahahahahahahahha. No.

Content: Harbinger for Melee DPS and Soloing
Chloromancer for healing
Archon for DPS support
Pyromancer for ST Ranged DPS and PVP
Necromancer for ST-with-some-AOE Ranged DPS.
Warlock for fights with two bosses (don't bother learning this anymore)
Dominator for trash (very bursty AOE) and PVP (really drat good at PVP)
Stormcaller... uh... supposed to be sustained AOE but eh, inferior to Dom for most pulls.
Elementalist for high target switching fights (never actually tried it but that's what I heard) and maybe soloing.

Harb/Necro/Ele should work for soloing, I don't know how well since I only ever solo in harb.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 31, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

quote:

RIFT ‏@Riftgame 1h
We turned on celebration bonuses for this weekend (and maybe a bit longer!) Hopefully this will help as we keep fixing the lag. Thanks!

quote:

RIFT ‏@Riftgame 1h
For inquiring minds these are the bonuses! 15% guild exp, 15% kill exp, 15% prestige, 15% favor, 15% PA bonus, 15% bonus zone event currency

:toot:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Droid Washington posted:

To help clear up your confusion:

Souls are the individual skill trees (chloromancer, necromancer, dominator, harbinger, etc). You have three of these active at one time.

Roles are sets of 3 souls, with points spent as you please between the three selected souls. You can only have one role active at a time, but you can switch freely between roles (with a cast time to switch) anytime you are out of combat. These are often referenced by combinations of the names of the two souls with the most points spent in them, i.e. harbchloro, wizmancer, elepyro or whatever (I made some of those up, I have no idea)

Purposes are "pre-built" roles, suited for people new to the game to use while learning the game; they will suit you ok for beginner levelling but there are much better roles you'll want to use as soon as you feel comfortable buying some role slots from your class trainer and getting them setup.

edit: don't be afraid to experiment and try out different roles, the early role slots are inexpensive, and resetting points spent in an active role maxes out at I think 50 gold or something stupid cheap.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 31, 2013

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
charname - Despil

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
I had some account recovery issues when I first resubbed and rerolled a new character, but everything was straightened out pretty quickly; hopefully, everyone else's issues get dealt with soon.

So, for someone who's interested in raiding, preferably as heals, but possibly as DPS, is the path at 60 reg dungeons -> 'sperts -> lower-tier raids, or what? School a clueless man.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

clocksmash posted:

I had some account recovery issues when I first resubbed and rerolled a new character, but everything was straightened out pretty quickly; hopefully, everyone else's issues get dealt with soon.

So, for someone who's interested in raiding, preferably as heals, but possibly as DPS, is the path at 60 reg dungeons -> 'sperts -> lower-tier raids, or what? School a clueless man.

Do experts as soon as you have 300 hit, which should be pretty soon. TDQ and FT are the easy raids, EE is pretty tough, GA is real bad.
Try to get IS and Torvan/Lycini rep for essences and capes. E: Other rep for runes helps too, but is lower priority.
Also, grab crafted gear, there's a list of it somewhere. Get Powerstones and Brightsurge vials for raiding.

Easy!

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
Sounds like it. Hopefully I'll be Chloro-ing sometime soon; I generally have raid nights free, and I have healing experience in EQ/WoW raiding.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

clocksmash posted:

Sounds like it. Hopefully I'll be Chloro-ing sometime soon; I generally have raid nights free, and I have healing experience in EQ/WoW raiding.

Here's a good post by Amory about crafted things:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549507&userid=140565#post416404080

and here's a Chloro guide that may or may not help!
http://valvalval.net/chloromancer-guide-pve-2-3/

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Why does this game crash every time I try to launch it? Really want to give it a try but what the gently caress, guys, seriously.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Try a re-install.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Tried reinstalling already, but maybe I need to clean up some files after uninstalling before reinstalling? Running win7 x64 and plenty above the min specs. Is this a common problem? My system is not very unusual.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Chenghiz posted:

Tried reinstalling already, but maybe I need to clean up some files after uninstalling before reinstalling? Running win7 x64 and plenty above the min specs. Is this a common problem? My system is not very unusual.

Not that I've seen (crashing happens from time to time, but not normally on start). You may want to post on the official forums if you haven't already. The support people may have a better idea of what's going wrong.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
put autorun on, alt tabbed to ff14, tabbed back and saw this:

:stonk:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

that's the stuff dreams are made of.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

necrotic posted:

that's the stuff dreams are made of.

Used to happen for me all the time with Vandee when he wore one of the masks. Those are admittedly less creepy though.

This is honestly a good indicator of how difficult DH was. We were single tanking what was frequently done as a 2 tank boss and 8-manning it with 5 alts, 2 mains and a person who couldn't normally make raids.

And no, I don't know what the hell was going on with the UI there. Like I remember the unit frames being there, but I don't remember the split raid frames. They should be together but to the right of the right chat window like riftmeter is on the left side. :iiam: Also the right chat panel is supposed to just be guild, but clearly I didn't care about it on my cleric.

Unrelated, but I wish more dragons were like Akylios. And by that I clearly mean that I wish they had opportunities for taking sweet screenshots while dead.

Goon Squad Raiding.jpg

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I am really liking this game.

Did anyone open crucias boxes yet? What is this new novelty stuff in them? Report your findings please! I got like 7 orange deeps boxes yet and there was not one fun item(clicky) in one of them. Raid/item tokens and an orange trinket with stats. Jboots/shrink device/manastone/rocketboots would rock, and how about a good ol fungi to grind to 50.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 1, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I opened one and got 100 Conqueror's Marks, 75 Frozen Stones and a relic ring.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

send invite to Decairn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Word is that when 2.4 and the new raid tier comes out, frozen eclipse stones and expert dungeon marks will be merged into one currency. So you may want to save up your expert marks until then if you are a fresh 60. No word on what the conversion rate will be.

• Locked thread