Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

ElwoodCuse posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23381962/nfl-can-afford-765m-settlement-but-players-didnt-deserve-it

Does this guy really think that fantasy football and having something to do on fall weekends is more important than the health and safety of football players?

Olbermann is leading off his show by tearing into this guy (and it is well deserved).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OklMbxkw8

Olbermann/Prisco

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I mean, Olbermann on MSNBC got so self righteous it delved in to parody on so many occasions. Thankfully the sports media is filled with the LOWEST of the low hanging fruit and him shining a light on complete morons like this is actually fun and refreshing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I mean, Olbermann on MSNBC got so self righteous it delved in to parody on so many occasions.
Part of that is because after a while he knew that those segments got him a ratings boost. There's a reason why he started with one "Special Comment" about Dick Cheney and then by the time he had his hissy fit and left MSNBC he was seemingly doing three a week and he'd start announcing when he was doing a Special Comment a day or two in advance.

I can imagine how awesome he thought he was after delivering one of those train wrecks too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

This is a pretty solid burn without a single personal insult delivered.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Olbermann ripped him apart and barely referenced Prisco directly. Jesus Christ. Most of the time he just refers to Prisco as "the columnist," or "the author," too. Incredibly done.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Crazy Ted posted:

Part of that is because after a while he knew that those segments got him a ratings boost. There's a reason why he started with one "Special Comment" about Dick Cheney and then by the time he had his hissy fit and left MSNBC he was seemingly doing three a week and he'd start announcing when he was doing a Special Comment a day or two in advance.

I can imagine how awesome he thought he was after delivering one of those train wrecks too.

Are you sure it was him who realized the bump in ratings or perhaps more likely higher ups that noticed that bump and then maybe pressed the producers of his show to produce similar content in the hopes of producing a similar result?

Just because the show is named after someone, doesn't mean they have creative control.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
We have plenty of evidence that Keith Olbermann is an rear end in a top hat with an inflated ego

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Captain Internet posted:

Are you sure it was him who realized the bump in ratings or perhaps more likely higher ups that noticed that bump and then maybe pressed the producers of his show to produce similar content in the hopes of producing a similar result?

Just because the show is named after someone, doesn't mean they have creative control.

Olbermann demands editorial control over his shows, it's one of the many reasons he's bounced around so much.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Groucho Marxist posted:

We have plenty of evidence that Keith Olbermann is an rear end in a top hat with an inflated ego

In fact, hasn't he pretty much admitted to being an rear end in a top hat with an inflated ego? Seems I remember him saying something to that effect when he split with Current TV.

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Are there any other really good examples of people being called out like that or Mark Cuban and Skip Bayless? I really enjoy them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BasicFunk posted:

In fact, hasn't he pretty much admitted to being an rear end in a top hat with an inflated ego? Seems I remember him saying something to that effect when he split with Current TV.
For the most part he's pretty self-aware these days.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadspin did a Canelo Alvarez article and I thought it was pretty drat fantastic.

http://deadspin.com/the-man-who-doe...dium=socialflow

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Normally I ignore deadspin and its pretty harmless honestly.

But this was awful.

http://deadspin.com/sadsack-former-nfl-player-punked-twice-by-drunken-comed-1189306363

Essentially, an extremely long article that highlights two poo poo comedians who "prank" Mike Vanderjagt. And by prank I mean they steal stuff from him and are miserable cunts. Just a pointless article. Pointless.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

soggybagel posted:

But this was awful.

http://deadspin.com/sadsack-former-nfl-player-punked-twice-by-drunken-comed-1189306363

Essentially, an extremely long article that highlights two poo poo comedians who "prank" Mike Vanderjagt. And by prank I mean they steal stuff from him and are miserable cunts. Just a pointless article. Pointless.

According to the story this is "the stuff of legend" in comedy circles! Also Deadspin has a moral obligation to enlighten the world about cool and hilarious stories like this one. Indeed I daresay I've never read a more interesting news story of any kind

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

soggybagel posted:

But this was awful.

What a couple of assholes. Also, Jeff Dye wasn't funny on Last Comic Standing. :colbert:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

erezaka posted:

According to the story this is "the stuff of legend" in comedy circles! Also Deadspin has a moral obligation to enlighten the world about cool and hilarious stories like this one. Indeed I daresay I've never read a more interesting news story of any kind

Yeah I'm sure Patton Oswalt, Todd Glass and David Cross all chill around the bar talking about stealing crap like this.

These guys are jackasses. Vanderjagt would have had every right to press charges against these morons.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah I'm sure Patton Oswalt, Todd Glass and David Cross all chill around the bar talking about stealing crap like this.

These guys are jackasses. Vanderjagt would have had every right to press charges against these morons.

I bet Louis CK wishes he was as cool as those 2 dudes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

On the plus side, it may be the only thing on the internet, ever, that virtually all the comments are full of logic and reason.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tobler's Twitter is non-stop hilarity!

"I wonder if Robert Griffin's doctors can fix the Redskin Defense's self esteem?"

"I will never forget the night @kobebryant scored 81..... I think there is a chance the eagles might do the same thing tonight!"

"You guys will never guess who is on my flight....... A bunch of annoying people! It's way to early for this poo poo!"

"Just thought about the time my buddies huge dog humped 3 girls at a party! They were 3 girls I wanted to hump so I was pretty jealous"

"If I had 2 days to live I would see how many DJ's I could murder! Murder weapon would be their apple laptop covered in awful stickers!"

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
What I took from that was

- (a) Vanderjagt is a coach at some middle school somewhere in Florida

- (b) he grabbed a kid by the throat for inaccurately mocking him

- (c) at least one story exists in which he is not the biggest rear end in a top hat

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Sash! posted:

On the plus side, it may be the only thing on the internet, ever, that virtually all the comments are full of logic and reason.

I think that is the first time I have ever read the comments on something on the internet and didn't leave thinking the world is full of lovely people with an internet connection.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Mike Vanderjagt, you say?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If there is one thing the comedy circle out here in Los Angeles likes to talk about, it's sports and stealing from a player (a kicker no less) that hasn't been in the league for years!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Mike Vanderjagt, you say?

http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Mike_Vanderjagt

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is pretty hilarious: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/9/12/4721352/coach-k-is-madly-in-love-with-beyonce-claims-to-be-coolest-65-year-old

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I learned something new today. Gawker is okay for me to view at work, but the Sports Argument Wiki is considered too foul-mouthed and is actually blocked by filtering software.

Top shelf job everyone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saw someone named Michele Steele reporting from Jets/Pats for ESPN. Didn't recognize her, Googled her, and it looks like she used to be a business reporter for Forbes. :wtc: Does ESPN just hire any pretty face?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 12, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Josh Lyman posted:

Saw someone named Michele Steele reporting from Jets/Pats for ESPN. Didn't recognize her, Googled her, and it looks like she used to be a business reporter for Forbes. :wtc: Does ESPN just hire any pretty face?

Is there some huge difference between "TV Business Reporter" and "TV Sports Reporter" that I'm missing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

morestuff posted:

Is there some huge difference between "TV Business Reporter" and "TV Sports Reporter" that I'm missing?
They're both apparently judged for their appearance for no reason

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
ESPN hired Michele Steele as a sports business reporter a couple of years ago. Sometimes they send her on location when there isn't a pertinent sports business story. She used to be Bloomberg's sports business person.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, reading the stock market ticker off a teleprompter doesnt seem Mich different than reading the out of town scores off a teleprompter.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
http://deadspin.com/espn-whitlocks-thayer-evans-comments-not-acceptable-1300137905

http://www.shermanreport.com/whitlock-at-odds-with-espn-media-policy-with-comments-about-evans/

gently caress, ESPN just eliminated my favorite part of my favorite sports writer, Jason Whitlock

quote:

ESPN has media policies in place about how its employees should address the competition. As in they really aren’t supposed to comment or criticize other media.

However, they are allowed to weigh in if it warrants discussing media coverage of a particular story. Even then, they are asked to follow certain guidelines.

The policy contains this line: ”Comments must not be personal, vicious, dismissive…No cheap shots.”

And then there’s this: “No personal attacks or innuendo toward people, media companies, networks or publications.”

I love when he unloads on garbage reporters. I am going to miss him calling Charles Robinson at yahoo! a slave catcher. I was afraid ESPN was going to ruin everything I love about him, next he won't be allowed to attack the NCAA anymore :suicide:

PS don't bother making fun of me for liking Whitlock. I already know everyone else hates him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The B_36 posted:

Yeah, reading the stock market ticker off a teleprompter doesnt seem Mich different than reading the out of town scores off a teleprompter.

I'm reasonably sure any one of us could do it, after a couple of fear pukes and crying over the restroom sink for a while.

In the future, they'll be computer generated people like those singers they have in Japan.

midwat
May 6, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

ESPN hired Michele Steele as a sports business reporter a couple of years ago. Sometimes they send her on location when there isn't a pertinent sports business story. She used to be Bloomberg's sports business person.

I thought "ESPN sports business reporter" was Darren Rovell's gig, unless they changed it to "douchebag in residence."

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'm reasonably sure any one of us could do it, after a couple of fear pukes and crying over the restroom sink for a while.

In the future, they'll be computer generated people like those singers they have in Japan.

Yeah, tell that to the "Boom goes the dynamite" guy. I think he was a broadcasting major too, so he had some experience at it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It's a skill just like any other and some people are naturally good at it and some people need a lot of practice to reach being passible at it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I love when he unloads on garbage reporters. I am going to miss him calling Charles Robinson at yahoo! a slave catcher. I was afraid ESPN was going to ruin everything I love about him, next he won't be allowed to attack the NCAA anymore :suicide:

PS don't bother making fun of me for liking Whitlock. I already know everyone else hates him

I'm not a big fan of Whitlock's columns but he's great when he goes after garbage reporters. He's got a funny Twitter account too that is usually filled with him making GBS threads on people. He's also got one of the better parody accounts that he actually acknowledges a bunch.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

midwat posted:

I thought "ESPN sports business reporter" was Darren Rovell's gig, unless they changed it to "douchebag in residence."

Steele predates Rovell's return to ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Really great longform read today in the NY Times about the MMA fighter in Michigan who (badly) faked his own death.