Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I think you might mean "burned in" or something like that. They'd be like open captions, which, as opposed to closed captions, cannot be turned off.

source: I work at a captioning company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is usually called "hard subs" in :filez:.

edit: That is, where the subtitles are encoded as graphics in the video, so the video player has no idea that there are subtitles and they can't be turned off or edited.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 24, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think you might mean "burned in" or something like that. They'd be like open captions, which, as opposed to closed captions, cannot be turned off.

source: I work at a captioning company

I call captioners on a regular basis to set up their listen line for live events. Are you person who sits at home and types in your underwear? Asking, "so what are you wearing?" never gets old.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Ha, no, but our dress code at the office is very lax in that there is none. During the winter one guy wore the same pair of red sweatpants five days in a row.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Get me a job immediately

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
We actually just hired, like, five new full-time captioners, sorry :( Also Minnesota winters are not for the faint of heart.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Ha, no, but our dress code at the office is very lax in that there is none. During the winter one guy wore the same pair of red sweatpants five days in a row.

Your coworker is pretty gross.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

benisntfunny posted:

Your coworker is pretty gross.

Welcome to software. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Mad Men.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

Welcome to software. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Mad Men.

I work in IT. I can work from home every single day of the week if I choose. I'd still change my clothes with more regularity than every FIVE days.

Work with plenty of weirdos and nerds and none of them are THAT dirty.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

I work in IT. I can work from home every single day of the week if I choose. I'd still change my clothes with more regularity than every FIVE days.

Work with plenty of weirdos and nerds and none of them are THAT dirty.

Hey, you don't know. He might just have a closet full of sweat pants.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I wouldn't put it past him. He's a really nice guy though! :shobon:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Moving into my house today. What's the best To-Get/Grocery application out there? Something that I can scan the barcode of an item I'm running low on and want to add it to my list would be cool.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

IUG posted:

Moving into my house today. What's the best To-Get/Grocery application out there? Something that I can scan the barcode of an item I'm running low on and want to add it to my list would be cool.

GroceryIQ works well for me and my wife. They have a website as well which makes it easy to make big weekly lists.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it normal that the Instagram app doesn't have badge notifications? I just get them in my Notification Center but it never shows a red (1) or whatever on the app.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

thegreatcodfish posted:

GroceryIQ works well for me and my wife. They have a website as well which makes it easy to make big weekly lists.

I use AnyList, and it works fairly well too.

Still holding out for a grocery store app that allows me to not only categorize items by what department they are in, but the actual aisle they are located in my local store. That way I can sort by aisle and be far more efficient.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

trilljester posted:

Still holding out for a grocery store app that allows me to not only categorize items by what department they are in, but the actual aisle they are located in my local store. That way I can sort by aisle and be far more efficient.

My girlfriend and I use AnyList too, and you're right, it's pretty decent. I hate that there isn't a better native list solution (just jam it all in notes!!!), but whatever, I guess.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

trilljester posted:

You can customize sort order of departments to match store aisles in GroceryIQ.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it normal that the Instagram app doesn't have badge notifications? I just get them in my Notification Center but it never shows a red (1) or whatever on the app.

Always been that way for me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

maduin posted:

My girlfriend and I use AnyList too, and you're right, it's pretty decent. I hate that there isn't a better native list solution (just jam it all in notes!!!), but whatever, I guess.
I use the default Reminders app for shopping lists (or any other kind of checklist). Just don't toggle the "Remind Me On a Day" option on a given item, and there won't be any alarm or badge notification associated with it. That way you can just create a list of things that you can check off. You can even make multiple lists of reminders and call one of them "Shopping"! A more elegant solution than using Notes imo.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I've been using genius scan to scan my documents, but I had to send a fax today and its companion app, genius fax, charges $1 per fax which seemed kind of crappy to me. Is there a better fax/scan app I could use for next time?

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Any suggestions on an app that you can fax from? Like take a photo and then send to a fax machine?

I saw a few on the store: iFax, eFax, Doc Scan, and Fax Burner. Does anyone have experience with any of these, or something better?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
First of all, the Tweetbot app for iPhone appears to have an issue, it can't display certain images (including display pics). When I click to open pics, I get "can't display pic" message (in sum). Anyone experienced this before? Any solution? Also, looking for an app similar to Tweetbot but would love one that works in landscape mode. I've tried various (Slices, Janetter, Twitter) but none suits my need for this.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

ICHIBAHN posted:

First of all, the Tweetbot app for iPhone appears to have an issue, it can't display certain images (including display pics). When I click to open pics, I get "can't display pic" message (in sum). Anyone experienced this before? Any solution? Also, looking for an app similar to Tweetbot but would love one that works in landscape mode. I've tried various (Slices, Janetter, Twitter) but none suits my need for this.

Pretty sure nearly everyone is having issues with twitter.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/syrian-electronic-army-twitter-account-claims-twitter-takeover/story?id=20087686&pt=tAD4SCT8P7

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do I pull up a list of my Saved Places in Google Maps?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

EugeneJ posted:

How do I pull up a list of my Saved Places in Google Maps?

https://www.google.com/search?q=How...extMenu&ie=&oe=

Third result:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/qkBcokYQ378

quote:

You can access your starred locations by clicking the profile icon in the top right corner of the app. Accessing your maps via Google Maps for iPhone is not currently possible. However, we're working hard to bring an even better Google Maps experience.

Thanks,
Daniel

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

DuckConference posted:

I've been using genius scan to scan my documents, but I had to send a fax today and its companion app, genius fax, charges $1 per fax which seemed kind of crappy to me. Is there a better fax/scan app I could use for next time?

Scanner Pro has served me well for scanning documents and has an IAP fax feature I've never used. It's a sweet scanner though, automatically picking up the dimensions of the document.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So I've posted before about migrating from Android, and I'd say I'm over 90% of the "Android is so much better" annoyances. One thing that is still driving me crazy is the fact that I was using Swiftkey previously, which is not possible to use on iOS. Before it would have taken me 15-30 seconds to write this post with the predictions on Swiftkey. This has taken 2-3 minutes since I have to tap out entire words. While I'm sure others can type faster than me, my point is that it's still a slow way to write a message. Any recommendations?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Project1 posted:

So I've posted before about migrating from Android, and I'd say I'm over 90% of the "Android is so much better" annoyances. One thing that is still driving me crazy is the fact that I was using Swiftkey previously, which is not possible to use on iOS. Before it would have taken me 15-30 seconds to write this post with the predictions on Swiftkey. This has taken 2-3 minutes since I have to tap out entire words. While I'm sure others can type faster than me, my point is that it's still a slow way to write a message. Any recommendations?

Type in landscape if you have fat thumbs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Project1 posted:

Just get better. I don't know why you don't just get better

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

Just get better. I don't know why you don't just get better

I'm not sure what other advice you could really give for that. Stop being a baby? Learn how to type? Shut up? Yes it's going to take time (potentially lots!) to type better if you're used to something else. I know I can type fast on my phone though and without looking. I know most all the common words it will correct and the ones it won't or the ones I'll need to fix before I even get to the autocorrect point. Though sometimes it predicts my stuff well in advance. I did this all by getting better and practicing. Not trying to cheat the system because there is no way to do that.

I guess you could make a million little keyboard shortcuts and teach yourself a shorthand language which in turn would make you a terrible type again the first time you went to a new system which did not use keyboard shortcuts.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Ok, So the default is the only option. Fair enough.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Try voice dictation?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Project1 posted:

Ok, So the default is the only option. Fair enough.

I think there's a tweak for Swype-esque functionality out there, but you have to be jailbroken.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Project1 posted:

I had a Motorola Droid in 2009 and switched to an iPhone in 2010. After three years I feel pretty confident saying that I'm much slower with an iPhone keyboard than I was with Swiftkey/Swype. It's one of the only Android things I miss.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, right now, the only way to get a swiping keyboard for iOS is to jailbreak, and if you're running iOS 6.1.3+, you can't.

However, SwiftKey is hoping that they'll be able to make an official app for iOS 7.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You could also just use Siri or the voice input from the keyboard. It works well enough for most stuff.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The main thing I'm hoping iOS 7 has support for without jailbreaking is f.lux. But I'm not holding my breath there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The main thing I'm hoping iOS 7 has support for without jailbreaking is f.lux. But I'm not holding my breath there.

I miss f.lux, BiteSMS and would love to try SwiftKey. Just be a little more open Apple.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm having trouble trying to sideload an app on iOS 7. I syncs fine through iTunes but the icon is always darkened. When I try tapping on it, it'll just get stuck at Waiting... or Installing... forever, even after rebooting/hard resets. I can delete it just fine and re-sync, but nothing seems to be working. It compiled fine through xcode. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know WTF sideload is, but if you have a problem with a beta then you should submit it as a bug through your dev account.

• Locked thread