Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I want to buy a new pair of non-counterfeit gloves to replace my fake A* GP Pros. I tried on a pair of the RS Taichi GP-WRX gloves when Moto GP came to Austin and thought they fit well enough, but then I've also thought about splurging on a pair of the Helimot 'Cowabunga' summer glove or maybe the deerskin glove. Or, Held gloves also look like they would be really comfy. Basically, I'm indecisive.

Anyone want to narrow down my search a little? I've got pretty long, but skinny fingers, so I think that puts me in an X-Large in most brands of gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Terminus Est posted:

What is it about textile riding gear that makes people think their washing machine will destroy it? Perfectly fine for tumbling down the road, but get it near an agitator and it will somehow get destroyed. Wash it on a gentle cycle, hang dry, put the armor back in. Probably not going to get all the bug guts out though.

Mostly the "Don't machine wash this you'll gently caress it up" warnings on manufacturer's websites.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Even if they have that, if you just put it on Gentle or "Hand Wash" mode it's perfectly fine. I machine washed my textile jacket and the winter liner because they were getting a bit funky and it came out perfectly fine.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Not sure if i'm in the right thread for this but i'm thinking of dropping the 400$ on the Gopro Hero 3 Black Edition, any reasons why I shouldn't? I'm not so concerned about price but I guess rumors are circulating that a Hero 4 might come out in October since Gopro goes for fall releases like Apple.

Should I bother waiting or just bite the bullet and order a 3?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If there is a hint of truth to the rumours, I'd hold off, because after the clusterfuck that was the Hero3, you'd hope that the Hero 4 will be the most highly-specced, well-sorted camera ever to be released...

Also, there is a POV/helmet cam thread here for you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223561

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 26, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Terminus Est posted:

What is it about textile riding gear that makes people think their washing machine will destroy it? Perfectly fine for tumbling down the road, but get it near an agitator and it will somehow get destroyed. Wash it on a gentle cycle, hang dry, put the armor back in. Probably not going to get all the bug guts out though.

I think they key is preserving the tumbling down the road part, not wanting to potentially weaken the seams and abrasive-resistant fabrics. I'd do delicate cycle and stick to hang-dry though, personally.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Ran it through the wash with some Arm and Hammer "gentle" detergent on the "hand wash" cycle. The bits that were still white look nice, and it got some bug guts out, but the gray stains are still loving gray. OH WELL I TRIED :shrug:

Don't want to expose these pants to bleach. But it's probably the only thing that would eliminate that poo poo. I'll survive with non-pristine pants.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can manually rub detergent into the dirty spots to loosen the dirt before washing, should make it easier for the machine to get out.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

So I picked up this for a new helmet

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...oModular_082613

quote:

Features and Benefits
Hi-tech injection molded polycarbonate shell
Quality metallic paint with double lacquer or flat matte finish
Integrated DWO-3 Bluetooth system offers the following functions:
--Mobile phone communication
--Intercom : rider to rider, rider to pillion
--GPS navigation instructions
--MP3 connectivity
Quick release clear locking visor fitted as standard
Separate flip-down tinted sun shield
Chin mounted airflow ventilation with open/close function
Metal mesh rear exhaust vents
Fully removable lining with chin deflector
Double D-ring safety fastening
Meets or exceeds DOT standards
Modular flip-up design with metal-to-metal latching system
Replacement visors and spares available

Haven't had a chance to really test it out (because my bike blew an ignition coil, and the replacement has not arrived yet), but it fits well, and the plug 'n play Bluetooth is pretty sexy. Marked down to $199 intro price (though I wonder if that helmet will ever really list at $399):iiam:

Didn't even need another helmet, really. But with shockingly few places in Chicago to actually buy gear in-person other than small shops that have minimal selection, I impulse bought this one while in the nosebleed burbs at a CycleGear.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tamir Lenk posted:

So I picked up this for a new helmet

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...oModular_082613

Haven't had a chance to really test it out (because my bike blew an ignition coil, and the replacement has not arrived yet), but it fits well, and the plug 'n play Bluetooth is pretty sexy. Marked down to $199 intro price (though I wonder if that helmet will ever really list at $399):iiam:

Didn't even need another helmet, really. But with shockingly few places in Chicago to actually buy gear in-person other than small shops that have minimal selection, I impulse bought this one while in the nosebleed burbs at a CycleGear.

I have never seen a helmet with an underbite before.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Tamir Lenk posted:

(though I wonder if that helmet will ever really list at $399):iiam:
It will every other month.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Does anybody know who makes these boots? I'm going to be taking the MSF soon and need to get a pair of over-the-ankle boots. I was on Yamaha's site and saw these boots in their marketing stuff but I don't think it's a Yamaha branded boot. I can't seem to find anything similar on ebay or newenough.

I will probably go to Target and get a cheap pair of boots for the test, but I'd like to treat myself to something nice after I get my endorsement.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Looks like a variation of a standard 20's workboot.

No idea which, though. Any option is not going to be very protective though. :smith:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Xovaan posted:

No idea which, though. Any option is not going to be very protective though. :smith:

drat! I was hoping they were cycle boots.

I'd read on some forums that a lot of folks wear Doc Martens on their bikes - I guess they'd have the same problem as any other non-motorcycle boot though. It just seems like most bike boots either look like they belong on the moon or look like modern cowboy boots.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
Some of the Puma boots pass quite acceptably as normal shoes whilst still being (reasonably) protective, https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BF8yakgWylYH4DA

I wear some shin high Puma's that look something like this, they look fine under long pants.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

devians posted:

Some of the Puma boots pass quite acceptably as normal shoes whilst still being (reasonably) protective, https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BF8yakgWylYH4DA

I wear some shin high Puma's that look something like this, they look fine under long pants.

Icon superduty 4 boots. Moto specific but stealthy otherwise. Shoot I wore them to a wedding and nobody noticed.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

What do I need to look for in motorcycle boots? I have a pair 9 eye steel toe docs with a buckle on top and figured they would be good enough (actually they're solovairs which are like the older docs).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Haggins posted:

What do I need to look for in motorcycle boots? I have a pair 9 eye steel toe docs with a buckle on top and figured they would be good enough (actually they're solovairs which are like the older docs).

No floppy laces that can get caught in things, or if it has laces, something like a velcro strap that secures them. A reinforced pad on the top of the toe to reduce wear from the shifter peg. Some kind of internal armor or support. Gore-tex lining, depending on your climate.
Things like docs and work boots are fine for the time being, until you've decided that a proper pair of boots is more appropriate.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Things you will eventually look for:

- a toebox that keeps your toes from being crushed by whatever you kick on your way down

- a heelbox that protects your heel

- a sole stiff enough that your foot won't fold up like a wallet. Touring soles have a little flex, dirt soles have zero

- heel-to-shin area stiff enough to keep your foot from folding at the ankle, same as above. Touring boots have more flex, then sport, then dirt with zero. There's the axis with your toes moving up-down and the one with your foot pivoting side-side at the ankle, which fewer boots have protection for.

- Shin protection, to protect your shinbone from whatever hard part you swing your leg into (sometimes the footpeg) on the way down. Shorter street boots and those meant to be worn under pants often forego this.

- All-day comfort. You don't want to cut your rides short because your feet hurt. This encompasses venting, gore-tex etc.

- Style. Realtalk, all motoboots look silly (yes, even Icon Elsinores and those Mexican customs) but you can always wear what you like and then change into your sick 'fit at your destination.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Xovaan posted:

I'm rolling these Red Wings:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/971-red-wing-shoes/971-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-black

They took a few weeks to break but now are extremely comfortable, reasonably protective, and discrete enough to wear them around the office.

Cons:
Laces - I double knot the laces to avoid them untying and keep the loops too small to catch on the shifter.
Steel toe - gently caress all to be done.
Poor Ventilation (due to waterproofing) - I wear them with Dr. Scholls odor eating insoles and they don't smell/feat sweat stays minimal.

They are the best 'just looks like a loving black boot' option I could find for <$200.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

ZippySLC posted:

It just seems like most bike boots either look like they belong on the moon or look like modern cowboy boots.
I have some casual, Harley style bike boots that still offer decent protection if I'm going to be walking around all day without somewhere to store my gear; but I usually wear my most protective moonboots everywhere and simply change into my dress shoes or whatever once I arrive. Most of the serious gear companies have at least one boot in their lineup like this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-waterproof-shoes

With something like that, you at least get ankle, toe, and heel protection along with waterproofing. I just always feel like I would rather change my boots when I get somewhere if I'm worried about style.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

I'm rolling these Red Wings:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/971-red-wing-shoes/971-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-black

They took a few weeks to break but now are extremely comfortable, reasonably protective, and discrete enough to wear them around the office.

Cons:
Laces - I double knot the laces to avoid them untying and keep the loops too small to catch on the shifter.
Steel toe - gently caress all to be done.
Poor Ventilation (due to waterproofing) - I wear them with Dr. Scholls odor eating insoles and they don't smell/feat sweat stays minimal.

They are the best 'just looks like a loving black boot' option I could find for <$200.

I used to have to wear steel toes at my last job and I found that redwings were by far the most comfortable boots I had ever worn. If you want steel toe, I'd highly recommend looking at the composite toes since they make the boots lighter and more comfortable.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

I want to buy a new pair of non-counterfeit gloves to replace my fake A* GP Pros. I tried on a pair of the RS Taichi GP-WRX gloves when Moto GP came to Austin and thought they fit well enough, but then I've also thought about splurging on a pair of the Helimot 'Cowabunga' summer glove or maybe the deerskin glove. Or, Held gloves also look like they would be really comfy. Basically, I'm indecisive.

Anyone want to narrow down my search a little? I've got pretty long, but skinny fingers, so I think that puts me in an X-Large in most brands of gloves.

Quoting myself 'cause I want to buy some new gloves.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Sena bluetooth SMH10D-10 dual pack is $233 on Amazon. It's $280 on revzilla so I think it's a pretty good discount.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Quoting myself 'cause I want to buy some new gloves.
As someone who has owned all of Alpinestars' race gloves (GP Plus, Pro, Tech), I'm probably going with Held Phantoms or Titans next time I'm due for an upgrade.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Those are Red Wing Gentleman Traveler's. I have a pair. :)

I rode with them the first couple months I had my bike. Red Wings are NOT good motorcycle boots and they are not cheap so I'd advise buying real boots for riding. Cheaper and safer.

TCX makes great casual moto boots. I have a pair of their high tops. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-waterproof-shoes

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Stugazi posted:

Those are Red Wing Gentleman Traveler's. I have a pair. :)

I rode with them the first couple months I had my bike. Red Wings are NOT good motorcycle boots and they are not cheap so I'd advise buying real boots for riding. Cheaper and safer.

TCX makes great casual moto boots. I have a pair of their high tops. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-waterproof-shoes

I think those will be what I end up getting. How do the laces work?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
The TCX laces are long but stay under my pants well. Shoes have great protection , look good and are comfortable. World of difference from the Red Wings or any non moto shoe.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'm wearing a pair of the Sidi fusions now and love them for the $200 price tag. Only downside is the toe sliders which make them a bit less of a discrete "I can wear this is the office" boot but they're comfy and don't look insane with my pants over them so I'm good with it.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

infraboy posted:

Not sure if i'm in the right thread for this but i'm thinking of dropping the 400$ on the Gopro Hero 3 Black Edition, any reasons why I shouldn't? I'm not so concerned about price but I guess rumors are circulating that a Hero 4 might come out in October since Gopro goes for fall releases like Apple.

Should I bother waiting or just bite the bullet and order a 3?

Pretty good prices on Amazon right now (SA deal thread).

I don't have experience with any GoPro products myself, but from what I've read most of the 3's problems have been fixed with firmware. When they launch the 4 there will almost certainly be problems that you'll have to wait to get sorted out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The liner on my Shoei Qwest does not come out for cleaning (the cheek pads do). It seems to be glued into place. Is this common to all Shoei helmets?

How else can I de-stink-ify?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Safety Dance posted:

The liner on my Shoei Qwest does not come out for cleaning (the cheek pads do). It seems to be glued into place. Is this common to all Shoei helmets?

How else can I de-stink-ify?
Yeah. Don't try to remove it. They're definitely a permanent fixture in most (if not all) Shoei models. For the price, you'd figure the things would have all the features of a $90 bucket. The best way to de-stink the thing is to soak a cloth in baby shampoo, clean the liner with that, rinse several times with a cloth soaked in clean water, and dry it well somewhere that isn't humid (and not in the sun).

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
The zip on my left boot (TCX S-Sporttour WP) broke on friday. For some reason I can't fathom the teeth of the zip are plastic rather than metal and it's just failed on that boot. No signs of wear at all on the right boot though which is odd.

As it's over twelve months old it's gone off to the chaps at TCX to see if they can fix it for free.

If they can't replace the zip would a pair of the waterproof SMX-5's be an upgrade or about the same quality?

Seems like I can pick up a pair of those for about £20 cheaper than a new pair of the TCX boots I have.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

EvilSlug posted:

Yeah. Don't try to remove it. They're definitely a permanent fixture in most (if not all) Shoei models. For the price, you'd figure the things would have all the features of a $90 bucket. The best way to de-stink the thing is to soak a cloth in baby shampoo, clean the liner with that, rinse several times with a cloth soaked in clean water, and dry it well somewhere that isn't humid (and not in the sun).

Maybe dry it with a hair dryer? Dunno if that would mess anything ip.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

EvilSlug posted:

wow seriously? I'm never buying a shoei than.

I always thought it was stupid that the revzilla guy pointed out how whatever helmet he's reviewing has a removable liner, I never saw one that didn't and figured they all did, so it seemed like a waste of time to point it out... guess I was wrong

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The liner in my RF-1100 is removable, I'm surprised other models aren't.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Shoei GT-Air internal padding is all definitely removable and, per the manual, machine washable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pretty sure the RF1100, Qwest, and GT Airs are all removable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Qwest removable.

Nope, at least not the one I have (might be 2011 manufacture -- I bought it on clearance from Motorcyclegear.com).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Qwest does not have a removable liner. RF1100 and X12 do. Can't speak for their other models as I haven't been in the game since those came out.