Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Brigadier Sockface posted:

That's not true Joe. He'd never get the votes. It'll either be Van Hollen or Becerra.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mooseontheloose posted:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Clintonland rides again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

serewit posted:

Clintonland rides again.

I am not saying I like it but she is positioning herself to be the next speaker.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which the New York City mayoral race turns into a question over which candidate wants to kill kittens more.

The New York Post put three reporters on this story.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

In which the New York City mayoral race turns into a question over which candidate wants to kill kittens more.

The New York Post put three reporters on this story.
Is this a "primaries are so loving weird" thing, or is it just how the NYC mayoralty death match works?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ufarn posted:

Is this a "primaries are so loving weird" thing, or is it just how the NYC mayoralty death match works?

More of a "This is considered top-end journalism by the New York Post" thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

I think it's a New York Post assigns three reporters to ask candidates about kittens after realizing it can sell a lot of papers by putting kittens on page one with quotes from Anthony Weiner about said kittens thing.

The more important question is whether the kittens can be elected mayor. Because we should totally make those kittens mayor of New York :3:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I think it's a New York Post assigns three reporters to ask candidates about kittens after realizing it can sell a lot of papers by putting kittens on page one with quotes from Anthony Weiner about said kittens thing.

The more important question is whether the kittens can be elected mayor. Because we should totally make those kittens mayor of New York :3:
Does Andrew still read the forums? Because you know that poo poo is going on BuzzFeed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
2 Kittens Who Will Restore Your Faith in Municipal Government

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not saying I like it but she is positioning herself to be the next speaker.
Isn't she kind of generally not-liked by many Democrats? I swear I remember reading over the years that she gets in trouble for being a showhorse, a bit like Weiner was, and not playing ball.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I think DWS is more likely to run statewide in Florida than make a play for high posts in House Dem leadership, but that's more of an educated guess than real inside knowledge. My bet would be on Van Hollen as the next Dem speaker, for whatever it's worth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

Isn't she kind of generally not-liked by many Democrats? I swear I remember reading over the years that she gets in trouble for being a showhorse, a bit like Weiner was, and not playing ball.

There was a very, very funny Politico article about DWS recently where shock and awe she admits that she might use her connections in politics for her own ambitions.

quote:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz spent 18 months slogging through 885 events in 31 states to boost President Barack Obama’s chances for reelection.

Now, she is planning to employ the nearly unrivaled Rolodex she’s built to turn it into political muscle in the Capitol — for herself.

It’s not clear what Wasserman Schultz wants — she pointedly wouldn’t rule out running for leadership, governor or senator.

“So far, the people of the 23rd Congressional District still continue to want me to represent them, and I don’t have any immediate plans to run for statewide office, but I can’t tell you I would never run for statewide office,” she said.

This led to the Democrats dumping on her in BuzzFeed.

quote:

“This is unbelievable. So much for supporting the president or electing Democrats,” said a top Democratic political adviser. “She was honest that this is about her.”

One senior Democratic source said the White House was “absolutely outraged” by Wasserman Schultz’s comments in Politico.

Another said Democrats in the House were just as upset. The source pointed to the number of “I, me or my” statements in the interview and said it reads like Wasserman Schultz thinks “others in leadership now don’t exist.”

I don't think she's an avatar of liberalism, but her behavior is really no difference than Van Hollen's or any ambitious Democrat. I mean, she's head of the DNC and Terry McAuliffe is running for a statewide office this year. Anyone want to seriously claim that DWS is scummier than The Macker?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
DWS should probably be grateful she has a job given how much of the Clinton Southern Strategy came off her desk in '08, as I recall.

So, pretty much perfect for Florida politics. Hell, if she can manage to embezzle Medicaid for a few mil then maybe we've found the next Governor.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I don't think she's an avatar of liberalism, but her behavior is really no difference than Van Hollen's or any ambitious Democrat. I mean, she's head of the DNC and Terry McAuliffe is running for a statewide office this year. Anyone want to seriously claim that DWS is scummier than The Macker?
Right, but I think the question is not "Is she scummier?" so much as it is "Do other Democrats not like her (for whatever real reason) and is this just one excuse to vent about it?"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

serewit posted:

DWS should probably be grateful she has a job given how much of the Clinton Southern Strategy came off her desk in '08, as I recall.

Not sure why since only Clinton bothered competing there in '08 given they'd jumped the line and each delegate given only half a vote, and even then that was only after the primaries were over.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Joementum posted:

2 Kittens Who Will Restore Your Faith in Municipal Government

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUkpmnQkVFA&t=590s

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Joementum posted:

Nothing rhymes with Debbie Wasserman Schultz; she doesn't stand a chance.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Joementum posted:

She's a woman, and the Democratic party is still pretty sexist once you get past the "abortions, contraception, no slut shamming" part of the social/sex side of it. When it comes to what people in places of power can get away with, the left often goes after women as viciously as the right does. Same poo poo with the terms used and what sex is allowed to express what emotions.

The Macker more gets laughed at for just being such an outright tool and bagman, if a funny and likeable person. DWS on the other had gets tossed around as conniving, evil, and unlikeable on liberal blogs.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SilentD posted:

She's a woman, and the Democratic party is still pretty sexist once you get past the "abortions, contraception, no slut shamming" part of the social/sex side of it. When it comes to what people in places of power can get away with, the left often goes after women as viciously as the right does. Same poo poo with the terms used and what sex is allowed to express what emotions.

The Macker more gets laughed at for just being such an outright tool and bagman, if a funny and likeable person. DWS on the other had gets tossed around as conniving, evil, and unlikeable on liberal blogs.

You do realize the minority leader and former speaker was a woman right?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

You do realize the minority leader and former speaker was a woman right?

And the President is black. Perhaps America is a post-discrimination society?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Freudian posted:

And the President is black. Perhaps America is a post-discrimination society?

I mean, I get that the Democrats still have sexist elements but to say she won't get the job because she is a woman is pretty silly when literally it just happened.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Joementum posted:

There was a very, very funny Politico article about DWS recently where shock and awe she admits that she might use her connections in politics for her own ambitions.

This led to the Democrats dumping on her in BuzzFeed.

I'm confused. Isn't this just basic politicking and fundraising? Is this not a thing that literally everyone in elected office does?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm confused. Isn't this just basic politicking and fundraising? Is this not a thing that literally everyone in elected office does?

They just don't admit to it. It isn't classy.

Guarantee that all the people out fundraising for others in their off cycle call in the favors they earned and the connections they made when they're up.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yes, but that was not the question I posed if you read the posts in order. I asked if she is well-liked by her Democratic colleagues and then whether the incident I brought up and Joe illustrated was indicative of them using any chance to vent about her in the press.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, she's disliked for a lot of different reasons. She's an openly ambitious woman and that's just not done. She's also too close to the Clintons. She's also not in line with the party politics in the same ways Pelosi is. But will that stop her from leadership ambitions? Hard to say. Pelosi doesn't want to be Speaker again, apparently, but she seems content to remain minority leader and there's a good chance a Democrat isn't going to get a crack at Speaker again until 2022. Does DWS want to be minority whip and oust Hoyer? She can't get Clyburn's spot for obvious reasons. We're also coming up to a period where being too close to the Clintons is potentially a huge asset rather than a minor liability, depending on what Hillary decides to do. If DWS decides she wants to run against Rubio or Scott instead of arranging deckchairs on House committees I guarantee any intra-party animosity evaporates overnight.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Pelosi was an openly ambitious woman among her colleagues, that's how you get to be Speaker in the first place. The original article wasn't about her ambition, it was about her (via her team) openly saying (as thinly veiled as possible), "I'm coming for Steny Hoyer's job and I don't do anything halfway." Shuler was the last guy to do that as I recall and it didn't work out too well for him, unless I missed some backroom missiles-in-Turkey deal.

I'm guessing that she's trying to leapfrog people like Hoyer and that t(he)y and their allies are quelling that ahead of time, which you pretty much nailed in the second part. I dunno how she plays with the rest of her colleagues, but I'm guessing if she gives away more money than Hoyer she'll play pretty well. As for the public, maybe the ambition thing makes a difference, but I really doubt 90% of America has any idea who she is enough to like or dislike her, with most of that 10% being right wing talk radio listeners and Beltway insiders and us.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Anthony Weiner to West Indian Day Parade: "Let's hear it for the NYPD!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUYxXn6q4I

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

New Q poll out today has de Blasio at 44 percent--and 47 percent of the African-American vote: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=1948

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Woops.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/09/anthony-weiner-dances-on-float-as-dj.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Willa Rogers posted:

New Q poll out today has de Blasio at 44 percent--and 47 percent of the African-American vote: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=1948

If he gets over 40% there won't be a runoff, so that's a very important poll number.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

If he gets over 40% there won't be a runoff, so that's a very important poll number.
de Blasio is the progressive candidate in the race, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gen. Ripper posted:

de Blasio is the progressive candidate in the race, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

It's very much a multidimensional race in terms of ideology, but yes, he's very likely the furthest left overall out of the four people who have any significant chance to be the next mayor of New York City (de Blasio, Thompson, Quinn, or Lhota).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gen. Ripper posted:

He's the mildly pie in the sky progressive, and most definitely the most left of the candidates yea.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

jeffersonlives posted:

It's very much a multidimensional race in terms of ideology, but yes, he's very likely the furthest left overall out of the four people who have any significant chance to be the next mayor of New York City (de Blasio, Thompson, Quinn, or Lhota).

In that case, :getin:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Willa Rogers posted:

Well, drat. I'm pleased to admit I was wrong. Go deBlasio!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

Are we absolutely sure he hasn't fallen under a genie's curse or something?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

jeffersonlives posted:

Was it just one pollster or the whole lot that had tons of trouble modeling Thompson's African-American support?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

He's still running? NYC is so weird.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Joementum posted:

I prefer to think that Anthony Weiner is some kind of public long-term psychological study of a really, really specific kind of politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Don't overthink it. He's just trying to one up Herman Cain's 2012 tour de force.

Performance artists, amirite? :rolleyes:

• Locked thread