Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I do not know how humans who wear above a size 13 shoe even found shoes before the Internet.

I always used to feel kind of bad for the guys who came in looking for size 13 or 14 shoes. We had them, but only in a few limited styles/models so it was always a long process of them picking out shoes they liked and me telling them we didn't have them. :( It was even worse for women with an unusual size because our selection was nil and for some reason a lot of women are very particular about wearing shoes designated for women regardless of how the shoe looked (so men's sizes often weren't an option).

I don't know if it was a regional thing or what, but people were always so weird about wearing something that was designated for the opposite sex. Even if it fit properly and was so generic looking that you couldn't possibly tell the difference, they still often wouldn't get anything if it wasn't labeled specifically for their sex. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kimmalah posted:

I always used to feel kind of bad for the guys who came in looking for size 13 or 14 shoes. We had them, but only in a few limited styles/models so it was always a long process of them picking out shoes they liked and me telling them we didn't have them. :( It was even worse for women with an unusual size because our selection was nil and for some reason a lot of women are very particular about wearing shoes designated for women regardless of how the shoe looked (so men's sizes often weren't an option).

I'm a man, but I do have enormous feet and shoe shopping is a nightmare. I could definitely see someone getting frustrated at how difficult it is to find shoes that fit and saying "No, gently caress this, I'm not going to compromise and wear men's shoes. Some women have big feet and they should make women's shoes in my size!" More for the principle of it, rather than being uncomfortable wearing shoes for the opposite sex.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I was in a clothing store one time and the sales lady was telling me about a guy who needed a size 83 suit. I can't even wrap my head around needing clothing that large. He must have all of his clothes custom made or just wear california king sheet togas or something.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was in a clothing store one time and the sales lady was telling me about a guy who needed a size 83 suit. I can't even wrap my head around needing clothing that large. He must have all of his clothes custom made or just wear california king sheet togas or something.

At that point, who are you fooling by getting into a suit? No one who is a size 83 takes pride in their appearance.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

I do not know how humans who wear above a size 13 shoe even found shoes before the Internet.

Stores only really carry up to size 16 :(

Thankfully Zappos exists and they normally have you pay for regular shipping and upgrade to overnight for free - I love Zappos so much.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I'm a man, but I do have enormous feet and shoe shopping is a nightmare. I could definitely see someone getting frustrated at how difficult it is to find shoes that fit and saying "No, gently caress this, I'm not going to compromise and wear men's shoes. Some women have big feet and they should make women's shoes in my size!" More for the principle of it, rather than being uncomfortable wearing shoes for the opposite sex.

That's it precisely. I'm a woman who wears a size 11, and within the past decade I can now find stylish and feminine shoes in my size at every shoe store. Without anything close to the selection of a size 7. But stores like The Gap or other places like that that happen to sell shoes as well as clothes? Their shoes stop at size 10. And I know I can order them online, but for a $12 pair of flats I want to try them on before purchasing. I'm sorry I'm 5'9". :smith:

Quick question for anyone who works in a shoe department: When I go in to a shoe store, and the clerk asks me what I'm looking for, I usually say "Size 11 black ballet flats" and ask for her to bring me the inevitable 4 pairs they have in the back. I don't really bother looking at all the styles, picking 1 or 2 up and asking for size 11 only for her to go to the back and come back 5 minutes later saying "We have a 9 1/2, will that work?" I figure it's faster and easier for both of us to just ask for all the styles of black ballet flats in a size 11 so I know the narrow scope I have to chose from. Is that dickish? I ask nicely, not rudely.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Nocheez posted:

At that point, who are you fooling by getting into a suit? No one who is a size 83 takes pride in their appearance.

Whoa whoa lets not get too hasty here.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

-If you think an empty watermelon display case is disappointing, wait until you get a load of the actual watermelons. I worked produce at a store where the manager was constantly in trouble with higher-ups for having loads of bad produce on display, and there is little in the universe that is more unsightly, or attracts flies faster, than a batch of overdue watermelons (the tomatoes attracted flies faster). Really nothing in that produce department was safe to eat unless it was a banana. People loving love bananas, keeping that up was a full time job. My manager, a married man, was seriously thinking of going to Iraq instead of working at Walmart.

Haha loving Walmart produce, had the great pleasure of working there for a couple months as a summer job and I worked my rear end off to actually get it into decent shape, not because I liked the company or my job or was proud or anything, but there was no way I was going to let moldy apricots sit on the shelf. Everything just disgusted me enough to overcome what I'm sure would be apathy if I weren't constantly fixing things. The fact that my supervisor hated her job and by extension everyone who worked for her certainly didn't help either.

Watermelons first, watermelons often came into the store, and despite selling nearly a pallet a day at the low prices, we'd get a few batches that had rotting watermelons at the bottom of the giant cardboard container they shipped in on. I knew they were there because it had the absolute nastiest smell produce could make, so I'd have to dig up watermelons, and either get lucky and see the one with mold and juice all over it, or accidentally grab it and get that mold and juice on my hands and not be able to rid myself of the smell until I got off the shift and took a shower.

Roma tomatoes were wonderful little shits that were never good even when we received them, so about a quarter of the romas we got were written off before they even made it to the shelves. The rest had to be sifted through daily to catch all of them because once they got mold, they'd spread to the three right next to them. We almost never had grape tomatoes because I had to scrap most of them out of the box to mold and the rest sold out extremely quickly, so they were the most common item customers asked about after limes (we never had limes shipped in for some reason). The other tomatoes weren't much better but I didn't have to cull many of them since they were such high volume. Don't buy tomatoes from Walmart.

The aforementioned apricots (and nectarines and plums) were always rotting after I hadn't worked in a couple days since everyone else didn't want to touch them; one time I took a half-full container of plums off the shelf and replaced it with a new one because nearly every single plum inside was rotting. Had my supervisor chew me out when I didn't want to eat a piece of a plum she was giving to customers because I made the plums look bad, but gently caress I'm not putting those things anywhere near my mouth. Most of these instances were due to extreme apathy from other workers, however, so I can't blame the warehouses too much for it.

What I can blame the warehouses for, however, is the one time they shipped literal tons of plums to us in the span of a week. Produce only gets a small produce cooler, and it usually has a pallet of stuff that doesn't have room on the shelves. As I discovered in this wonderful event, you can only fit 4 pallets into the cooler, so when we were stuck with 5 pallets of plums one day, supervisor just stuck a pallet on the sales floor, got clearance to sell them for 33c a pound, and then we had gotten rid of three pallets in a single day due to ridiculously stupid prices. Imagine my surprise when, the next day, I walked in and discovered that we'd been shipped another 3 pallets. My brain just switched off for a couple minutes, and I remember staring at them blankly as every single thought in my head just sort of derailed and disappeared. I could not comprehend plums. I then spent the rest of the day in shock at the absolute stupidity of the people who decided we needed them, but maybe it was finally over now that we had gotten 8 pallets of plums, some of which we were now scrapping just because we didn't have any place to put them. We got two more the next day, and the day after that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Doesn't Walmart have computer systems that automatically orders poo poo based on the prior years' sales and stuff? What the hell happened a year prior to plumacalypse?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Haha loving Walmart produce, had the great pleasure of working there for a couple months as a summer job and I worked my rear end off to actually get it into decent shape, not because I liked the company or my job or was proud or anything, but there was no way I was going to let moldy apricots sit on the shelf. Everything just disgusted me enough to overcome what I'm sure would be apathy if I weren't constantly fixing things. The fact that my supervisor hated her job and by extension everyone who worked for her certainly didn't help either.

Watermelons first, watermelons often came into the store, and despite selling nearly a pallet a day at the low prices, we'd get a few batches that had rotting watermelons at the bottom of the giant cardboard container they shipped in on. I knew they were there because it had the absolute nastiest smell produce could make, so I'd have to dig up watermelons, and either get lucky and see the one with mold and juice all over it, or accidentally grab it and get that mold and juice on my hands and not be able to rid myself of the smell until I got off the shift and took a shower.

Roma tomatoes were wonderful little shits that were never good even when we received them, so about a quarter of the romas we got were written off before they even made it to the shelves. The rest had to be sifted through daily to catch all of them because once they got mold, they'd spread to the three right next to them. We almost never had grape tomatoes because I had to scrap most of them out of the box to mold and the rest sold out extremely quickly, so they were the most common item customers asked about after limes (we never had limes shipped in for some reason). The other tomatoes weren't much better but I didn't have to cull many of them since they were such high volume. Don't buy tomatoes from Walmart.

The aforementioned apricots (and nectarines and plums) were always rotting after I hadn't worked in a couple days since everyone else didn't want to touch them; one time I took a half-full container of plums off the shelf and replaced it with a new one because nearly every single plum inside was rotting. Had my supervisor chew me out when I didn't want to eat a piece of a plum she was giving to customers because I made the plums look bad, but gently caress I'm not putting those things anywhere near my mouth. Most of these instances were due to extreme apathy from other workers, however, so I can't blame the warehouses too much for it.

What I can blame the warehouses for, however, is the one time they shipped literal tons of plums to us in the span of a week. Produce only gets a small produce cooler, and it usually has a pallet of stuff that doesn't have room on the shelves. As I discovered in this wonderful event, you can only fit 4 pallets into the cooler, so when we were stuck with 5 pallets of plums one day, supervisor just stuck a pallet on the sales floor, got clearance to sell them for 33c a pound, and then we had gotten rid of three pallets in a single day due to ridiculously stupid prices. Imagine my surprise when, the next day, I walked in and discovered that we'd been shipped another 3 pallets. My brain just switched off for a couple minutes, and I remember staring at them blankly as every single thought in my head just sort of derailed and disappeared. I could not comprehend plums. I then spent the rest of the day in shock at the absolute stupidity of the people who decided we needed them, but maybe it was finally over now that we had gotten 8 pallets of plums, some of which we were now scrapping just because we didn't have any place to put them. We got two more the next day, and the day after that.

We had four pallets or so at a time of watermelons right behind the cash registers, so everyone in the store knew when it was time to get rid of them, which only added to my manager's great reputation. Gigantic amounts of overstock that arrived moldy were also a regular thing. Our plantains were absolutely vile. Our corn, which generally went south very quickly, came to our store in Wisconsin from Georgia. This at the height of the season in semi-rural Wisconsin/Minnesota where you can buy fantastic corn from street vendors all over the place. You could shake the tomato display and be attacked by a flatout swarm of fruit flies regardless of how diligently you tended to them.

In addition, nothing was ever priced correctly, which made the cashiers hate us even more, because having to stop to call in a price check when the customer complains affects their productivity scores.

It was pretty much a daily thing to have the floor manager come in and try to put the fear of god into the produce department. He was one of those lifers who you'd see in the store every day even when he was on vacation.

It was a nice enough job, because there was always something to do until you hit six or seven o'clock, when most of the work was done, customers weren't coming in, and it was too early to start doing cleanup.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 24, 2013

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Doesn't Walmart have computer systems that automatically orders poo poo based on the prior years' sales and stuff? What the hell happened a year prior to plumacalypse?

The computer system won't place an order like that, but orders can be placed by buyers (who do not work within the stores they buy for) and excess freight can be forced from a distribution center to every Wal-Mart they can dump it on. Wal-Mart is the end of the line when some jerk in an office in Bentonville thought he was getting a good deal on a ridiculous trainload of corn that will go bad in a week.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I posted a couple days ago about how I gave my notice at Wal-Mart. Today was my first day since I did that and I found my name removed from the schedule entirely. They fired me because I gave my notice. Thanks to everyone in the thread for the funny stories and letting me vent, but it looks like I'm done with retail (hopefully for good)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of vindictive bullshit walmart management would pull.

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting

Red Suit posted:

I posted a couple days ago about how I gave my notice at Wal-Mart. Today was my first day since I did that and I found my name removed from the schedule entirely. They fired me because I gave my notice. Thanks to everyone in the thread for the funny stories and letting me vent, but it looks like I'm done with retail (hopefully for good)

The other day one of the co-managers was telling a bunch of us that putting in a notice a the store is a waste of breath. Nine times out of ten you're getting tossed out on the spot. He said its worse for management. It's usually give me the keys and gently caress off for them, so I hope you had something lined up man.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Necrocult posted:

The other day one of the co-managers was telling a bunch of us that putting in a notice a the store is a waste of breath. Nine times out of ten you're getting tossed out on the spot. He said its worse for management. It's usually give me the keys and gently caress off for them, so I hope you had something lined up man.

If they don't schedule you for any more hours that's kinda their prerogative. If you had nothing else lined up you shouldn't have put in notice. If you can't afford to not work for two weeks you should tell your new job you can come in early (not that this may help).

Always put in two weeks unless you're being asked to do something illegal at work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

If they don't schedule you for any more hours that's kinda their prerogative. If you had nothing else lined up you shouldn't have put in notice. If you can't afford to not work for two weeks you should tell your new job you can come in early (not that this may help).

Always put in two weeks unless you're being asked to do something illegal at work.

I've always hated the two weeks thing. It is the right thing to do in terms of giving enough notice for said other party to replace you, but it's a scam for the employer to be covered. How often does a retailer give an employee a two weeks work notice? I just hate that it's basically a one way, unspoken agreement.

Ironically I have always given two week notices (i just hate the prospect of making someone mad I guess). Either way, if employees are hired as right to work where employers can fire them at any time with no reason, then employees should be able to walk at any time without any reason.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Duckman2008 posted:

I've always hated the two weeks thing. It is the right thing to do in terms of giving enough notice for said other party to replace you, but it's a scam for the employer to be covered. How often does a retailer give an employee a two weeks work notice? I just hate that it's basically a one way, unspoken agreement.

Ironically I have always given two week notices (i just hate the prospect of making someone mad I guess). Either way, if employees are hired as right to work where employers can fire them at any time with no reason, then employees should be able to walk at any time without any reason.

It pretty much always has been a relationship in favor of the employer. In retail though we should be required hazard pay with all the crap that goes on.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Try shopping for size 16 shoes without the internet sometime. Most shoe styles stop at 15 :suicide:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Well technically you can, it's just probably not a good idea if you want to keep that job as a reference later on (which maybe is what you were getting at). Then again with the way things are in a lot of places, companies don't really disclose much as references anyway so you might get off scot free.

I know during my time in retail we had several people quit on really short notice. Some right before they were about to start a shift, which was always fun to cover.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kimmalah posted:

Well technically you can, it's just probably not a good idea if you want to keep that job as a reference later on (which maybe is what you were getting at). Then again with the way things are in a lot of places, companies don't really disclose much as references anyway so you might get off scot free.

I know during my time in retail we had several people quit on really short notice. Some right before they were about to start a shift, which was always fun to cover.

My last gig was a franchise Sprint retailer who had a bad habit of really loving people out of commission. A bit after I left, they switched the manager of the store I was at to the really lovely location and basically made his life even more hellish than they already were. He finally got a phone call from the job he was applying to saying he got the job. After the phone call, he locked all the cabinets of the mall kiosk, left his keys under something, just walked out and blocked the numbers of all the managers above him. He's a drat hero in my eyes for doing it (trust me, the company deserved it).

I didn't do that, but i did make sure to take a large advance on my paycheck a week before giving my two weeks (thankfully i didn't have to fight for my money).

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

My last gig was a franchise Sprint retailer who had a bad habit of really loving people out of commission. A bit after I left, they switched the manager of the store I was at to the really lovely location and basically made his life even more hellish than they already were. He finally got a phone call from the job he was applying to saying he got the job. After the phone call, he locked all the cabinets of the mall kiosk, left his keys under something, just walked out and blocked the numbers of all the managers above him. He's a drat hero in my eyes for doing it (trust me, the company deserved it).

I didn't do that, but i did make sure to take a large advance on my paycheck a week before giving my two weeks (thankfully i didn't have to fight for my money).

I imagine working for sprint sucks, doesn't most of their profit come from letting AT&T use their towers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godsped posted:

I imagine working for sprint sucks, doesn't most of their profit come from letting AT&T use their towers?

Keep in mind it was a franchise, so it wasn't Sprint, it was working for XX Wireless who owns retail stores that sell Sprint.

It overall shouldn't be that bad, sprint doesn't have great service, but you still can get decent pay, and you tend to have more opportunities for new customers (which is what pays) than say ATT because they currently have less customers. The downside is usually said franchise company is sketchy on sales, commission payments and benefits, and then sprint and all the wireless carriers are Nazis on charge backs and rules on their end.

My current work is going through a big commission change that might reduce my monthly commission by a few hundred $$s. Its a simple "if you pay me I'll get you great numbers" philosophy that these companies tend to miss.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
At the grocery store where I work, we're supposed (??) to call customers by name, which we know by scanning their discount card. I try to remember to do it as often as I can, but I don't if I know I'll butcher it too badly or whatever. Regardless, I had a customer who already seemed kind of irritated for some reason, whom I called "Ms. Davis" at the end of her transaction, and she immediately flipped out and said, "I'm not Ms. Davis, why would you call me that?" as if I'd just called her Ms. oval office and told her to have a lovely day.

I tried to explain the situation to her and FINALLY she says she's "not mad at me" and that she'll go talk to customer service about it. Except I don't really think she wasn't mad at me. I've heard customers say that a lot of times, and I just really want to be like, "Well then don't act like a mad rear end in a top hat to me, especially because I know you're going to walk over to customer service and be like, 'That GIRL over THERE called me by the wrong name/couldn't scan my discount card/whatever grave injustice I have experienced.'"

I hope she got a new discount card while she was at customer service, too, because her lovely broken one wasn't scanning so I had to take her phone number, and maybe I transposed a number and got a valid card, but not the right owner.

Side note: I am an overly sensitive person, but I do have a few valid reasons that cause me to get upset when I perceive people being aggressive or dismissive with me. It sucks when I can't do as good a job for the next customer following one of the rude ones because I feel like trash.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
You know, the worst thing about working retail, is the pressure I get from my family to get into retail management, especially at Wal-Mart. I don't know what the obsession is (I get it, the pay isn't bad), but literally within a week after getting my seasonal cashier position at Lowe's, I had people in my family asking when I'd be promoted to store manager, or how soon will it be before Wal-Mart hires me away to be a manager. Heck, just this morning I woke up to "there's two Wal-Mart Manager-in-training positions open in the area."

I get that everyone thinks a management position should be easy as cake for me to get, thanks to my degree and everything; but that degree is half the reason I don't get hired for those kinds of positions. Not to mention, I really don't want to make a career out of retail, and it's like that sentiment falls on deaf ears.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

You know, the worst thing about working retail, is the pressure I get from my family to get into retail management, especially at Wal-Mart. I don't know what the obsession is (I get it, the pay isn't bad), but literally within a week after getting my seasonal cashier position at Lowe's, I had people in my family asking when I'd be promoted to store manager, or how soon will it be before Wal-Mart hires me away to be a manager. Heck, just this morning I woke up to "there's two Wal-Mart Manager-in-training positions open in the area."

I get that everyone thinks a management position should be easy as cake for me to get, thanks to my degree and everything; but that degree is half the reason I don't get hired for those kinds of positions. Not to mention, I really don't want to make a career out of retail, and it's like that sentiment falls on deaf ears.

So you don't work at Wal-Mart but your family thinks they want you as a manager? Most management promotions are internal at Wal-Mart. A degree won't hurt you (and was how I moved into management in a short timeframe), but if you haven't put in some time as an hourly of some sort, the company usually isn't really interested in your credentials. I'll also note that I was able to use a few months as a manager as a springboard out of retail, so it's not entirely a trap.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

kazz posted:

Side note: I am an overly sensitive person, but I do have a few valid reasons that cause me to get upset when I perceive people being aggressive or dismissive with me. It sucks when I can't do as good a job for the next customer following one of the rude ones because I feel like trash.

I can be pretty sensitive too. Things that don't even really matter in the grand scheme of things can really bug me. Like last night, this exchange happened:

Me: *have my back to the register while I am trying to get the garbage bag changed after having to damage out a bunch of expired frozen food*
Guy: You guys got generics?
Me: Generics? We have a store brand.
Guy: Where is it?
Me? It? I mean, we have a store brand version of most items in the store...? What item are you interested in...?
Guy: *lifts up 2 12 packs of soda that were completely out of my range of sight* Uh. Soda. I have soda, so I am asking about generic soda, obviously.

I had my back to him when he walked up, I was obviously involved in a task (while getting covered in gross expired defrosting fish water), and he was holding his items below the counter where I couldn't see them at all. He really made me feel stupid with his tone of voice and body language and it really just bugged me. How the heck would I have known he was talking about soda? And how the heck am I the stupid one? I've gotten much better at letting things roll off my back, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed with this sense of unfairness. I dunno. Could just be PMS I guess!

People get unfairly upset with me all the time. Another guy got really angry with me last night because I couldn't tell him if he was getting the right prepaid phone card. He didn't have his phone with him, he didn't know what kind of phone it was... how the hell am I going to know which phone card he needs? He left very unsatisfied and I think it's completely unfair for someone to be mad at me for not knowing something I wouldn't have any reason to know!

And I am SO tired of people incessantly bitching to me about things I have no control over. Like corporate policies or the fact that there are less ounces in a product or a price went up. Last week, a lady told me I needed to move some lamps to a different part of the store. I told her we couldn't just decide to move things, that we had schematics that needed to be followed to the letter. I showed her our planner and all the pretty pictures that we have to follow but she just could not get it in her head that I, a lowly cashier peon, could not just decide on my own accord that lamps should go over here and do it myself. I always encourage people to write a letter to corporate or to write on their facebook or twitter pages. They'd just rather yell at me about how terrible our bags are or how Dollar General has baby oil for a dollar and I must be crazy if I think they are going to pay $3 for baby oil here.

I think I'm just having a retail overload week. Sigh.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ThreeFish posted:

I can be pretty sensitive too. Things that don't even really matter in the grand scheme of things can really bug me. Like last night, this exchange happened:

Me: *have my back to the register while I am trying to get the garbage bag changed after having to damage out a bunch of expired frozen food*
Guy: You guys got generics?
Me: Generics? We have a store brand.
Guy: Where is it?
Me? It? I mean, we have a store brand version of most items in the store...? What item are you interested in...?
Guy: *lifts up 2 12 packs of soda that were completely out of my range of sight* Uh. Soda. I have soda, so I am asking about generic soda, obviously.

I had my back to him when he walked up, I was obviously involved in a task (while getting covered in gross expired defrosting fish water), and he was holding his items below the counter where I couldn't see them at all. He really made me feel stupid with his tone of voice and body language and it really just bugged me. How the heck would I have known he was talking about soda? And how the heck am I the stupid one? I've gotten much better at letting things roll off my back, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed with this sense of unfairness. I dunno. Could just be PMS I guess!

People get unfairly upset with me all the time. Another guy got really angry with me last night because I couldn't tell him if he was getting the right prepaid phone card. He didn't have his phone with him, he didn't know what kind of phone it was... how the hell am I going to know which phone card he needs? He left very unsatisfied and I think it's completely unfair for someone to be mad at me for not knowing something I wouldn't have any reason to know!

And I am SO tired of people incessantly bitching to me about things I have no control over. Like corporate policies or the fact that there are less ounces in a product or a price went up. Last week, a lady told me I needed to move some lamps to a different part of the store. I told her we couldn't just decide to move things, that we had schematics that needed to be followed to the letter. I showed her our planner and all the pretty pictures that we have to follow but she just could not get it in her head that I, a lowly cashier peon, could not just decide on my own accord that lamps should go over here and do it myself. I always encourage people to write a letter to corporate or to write on their facebook or twitter pages. They'd just rather yell at me about how terrible our bags are or how Dollar General has baby oil for a dollar and I must be crazy if I think they are going to pay $3 for baby oil here.

I think I'm just having a retail overload week. Sigh.

The price thing is asinine. I always get "why did my co-pay go up, it was cheaper last time?" To which I always reply "call your insurance company they determine the co-pay." Its always the same people every loving time.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
So it looks like I'm leaping back into the septic tank that is retail, and I'd like the avoid the issue of crippling back pain that I suffered from before. I remember awhile ago some people recommended a dress shoe that was designed for back support, but for the life of me I cannot find it now, and Google is mostly links like "How to stop back pain!" and shoes I'm not sure I want to take a chance on. Any help?

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Duck_King posted:

So it looks like I'm leaping back into the septic tank that is retail, and I'd like the avoid the issue of crippling back pain that I suffered from before. I remember awhile ago some people recommended a dress shoe that was designed for back support, but for the life of me I cannot find it now, and Google is mostly links like "How to stop back pain!" and shoes I'm not sure I want to take a chance on. Any help?
I can walk around in crocs all day and not feel any pain. They have lots of styles, including closed-toe and dressy crocs. I wear them at my job at a bank and they look professional. But my pain was always in my feet, not in my back.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, I'm afraid if I get something for foot pain it's still going to bother my back. Note: I am not a doctor.

Ended up ordering these.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 2, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Some people have a weird lack of self awareness.

Why would you complain about how much your insurance is allegedly going to be affected by ~!*obamacare*!~ to the cashier making only a bit above minimum wage, is almost certainly uninsured, and will probably benefit from it? Why would you go up to a cashier and talk poo poo about the fast food (and Walmart) workers putting their jobs on the line to strike for a living wage?

It was really uncomfortable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I wear a 13 wide. Finding shoes has always been a pain in the rear end, even moreso because I need shoes with good support because of my retail job.

Sankis posted:

Some people have a weird lack of self awareness.

Why would you complain about how much your insurance is allegedly going to be affected by ~!*obamacare*!~ to the cashier making only a bit above minimum wage, is almost certainly uninsured, and will probably benefit from it? Why would you go up to a cashier and talk poo poo about the fast food (and Walmart) workers putting their jobs on the line to strike for a living wage?

It was really uncomfortable.

Tomorrow is senior day at my store. I will have no less than 5 old people randomly complain about Obama (pronounced: Obumma) without absolutely any provocation or reason.

Me: Ok, that'll be $16.74.

Senior: It would be 14-something if it wasn't for Obumma and his sales tax!

Me: Uh.... ok.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 3, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

Tomorrow is senior day at my store. I will have no less than 5 old people randomly complain about Obama (pronounced: Obumma) without absolutely any provocation or reason.

As a loader, I get similar comments.

"Good to see somebody's willing to work nowadays, not like those lazy Mexicans!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

I wear a 13 wide. Finding shoes has always been a pain in the rear end, even moreso because I need shoes with good support because of my retail job.

I wear a 15-4E. There are about two manufacturers who even make tennis shoes in that size. One of them, New Balance, has disappointed me with their quality as of late.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Trying working in a store that sells guns/ammo during that huge controversy about gun control after Sandy Hook. :negative: Now those same dumbasses buy up and hoard ammo like crazy, then blame Obama for the "shortage."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't have the giant feet that some of you do, but I still had to fight my boss to let me use shoes not in the catalogue provided. I wear a size 6EEE, and the manufacturer I can order from through work doesn't make that size, and I would have to get a size 9 wide in order for it not to bind my feet. Pain in the rear end.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Retail Slave posted:

"You know, it's rare seeing a christian nowadays. Most people see Him as a joke."

I'm non-religious. The statement had absolutely no context whatsoever. Religious old people are the worst.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I wear a 15-4E. There are about two manufacturers who even make tennis shoes in that size. One of them, New Balance, has disappointed me with their quality as of late.

I'm 17 3E currently squeezed into a 16 EE because new balance doesn't carry useful sizes in store and I needed them ASAP. I love them so far, they're my first new balance and I'll probably get them again in a few years.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Forceholy posted:

"You know, it's rare seeing a christian nowadays. Most people see Him as a joke."

I'm non-religious. The statement had absolutely no context whatsoever. Religious old people are the worst.

I had a customer randomly thrust a pocket Bible into my hand and give me the whole "Jesus loves you" spiel after having me slice her bread. I guess as somebody who is a non-believer I make a good target in a sense, but I barely even said anything to her before that, let alone anything about religion. I just smiled and nodded because I just want those kind of people to go away and leave me alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Godsped posted:

I'm 17 3E currently squeezed into a 16 EE because new balance doesn't carry useful sizes in store and I needed them ASAP. I love them so far, they're my first new balance and I'll probably get them again in a few years.

http://www.zappos.com/mens-sneakers...alesStyle/desc/

Amazon doesn't have anything at all in that size.

Pornographic Memory posted:

I had a customer randomly thrust a pocket Bible into my hand and give me the whole "Jesus loves you" spiel after having me slice her bread. I guess as somebody who is a non-believer I make a good target in a sense, but I barely even said anything to her before that, let alone anything about religion. I just smiled and nodded because I just want those kind of people to go away and leave me alone.

These people are pretty typical in retail when they are not papering parked cars with pamphlets.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 4, 2013