Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

wallaka posted:

Somebody stole my DRZ today.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got yelled at today while test riding the race sidecar rig around a parking lot. Like seriously yelled at, guy on the other side of a fence screaming at us, calling us fuckheads, saying he called the cops. Guess the new exhaust is louder than we thought. This must be what it's like to be a Harley owner.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wallaka posted:

Somebody stole my DRZ today.

Well poo poo, dude. Details?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It broke down at around 7:30 pm when I was riding in a popular local off-roading area. The hose running from the petcock to the carb basically disintegrated, I'm guessing from ethanol. I called a buddy and walked a half mile up the creek bed to get to the road. Borrowed my buddy's 4x4 to retrieve it, and when I got there this morning it was gone. It was there maybe 10 hours, pulled off the trail a bit. No actual tow vehicle or two wheel drive truck could get there or I would've called for a tow. They left all the gear I stripped off, brand new G-Max supermoto helmet, Alpinestars mesh jacket and pants.

I guess some redneck just put it in his truck.

Edit: I was pretty much expecting it to be gone. So I'm not that butthurt about the theft, just all the time I put in the bike. Custom headlight, FCR carb, MCCT, Yoshi full exhaust, Excel rims, big brake kit, Acerbis plastics, 3 gallon tank, Vapor dash, the list goes on.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 30, 2013

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Aw poo poo. No vent hose or vacuum hose to cannibalize?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you checked the local impound yards? Perhaps a park ranger hauled it off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Have you checked the local impound yards? Perhaps a park ranger hauled it off.

I would imagine a park ranger wouldn't have left the gear behind.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

MotoMind posted:

Aw poo poo. No vent hose or vacuum hose to cannibalize?

No, they were all half the diameter.

I've reported to the police and my insurance. I doubt it'll be found, but you never know.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Post an ad on craigslist, maybe a good Samaritan(sic?) Picked it up so it wouldn't get stolen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Post an ad on craigslist, maybe a good Samaritan(sic?) Picked it up so it wouldn't get stolen.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also my reaction.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

poo poo, I left out redneck. Good samaritan redneck would have made a bit more sense, but still been deniable.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finally got my forks together! So much nicer with new bushings, fresh oil and emulators.

Thank god too. My 30 mile evening commute takes 35-45 minutes with the bike and 50-90 minutes with the truck. At least 5 miles of it is crawling slightly below '1st gear at idle' of my truck so I must push the clutch in at least 900,000 times. My hosed up knee ends up killing me and am using my hand to push my leg down when I need to shift for the rest of the drive home. Cages suck. Traffic jams suck. Lane splitting is awesome.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Argh. Procrastinating because I have to do some car shopping. Instead, I decide to sort my CB400's brakes. Quick bleed/replacement with fresh fluid (not sure when it was done last) and then clean the rotor buttons (never done it).

Start removing the screws from the brake fluid reservoir. One screw comes out easier, the other starts to slip. Oops, let's attack that with some penetrant and I'll clean the rotors whilst it sorts itself out.

Hmm, smallish bolt is all I can find. That'll do. They're only small buttons. 3rd button, something's wrong. Let's pull it out. Dammit, washer has forced itself into the button, the bolt end needsn a flathead screwdriver on it and the nut is rounding off.

Large set of pliers and rachet later, at least the bolt is off. gently caress it, need some larger bolts, guess I'll have to go and get some. Let's at least do the fluid whilst I have the bike out.

Cue the last reservoir screw completely burring out. Dammit.

So, sum total of my afternoon. Brake reservoir now not coming open, fluid not sorted and 2x buttons half sorted. This isn't my day. And I was really hoping to have my brake shuddering fixed.

Guess I need to drill out the screw in the reservoir, but I don't have a screw to replace it, and I'm not attacking it until I can have it secured afterwards.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Guess I need to drill out the screw in the reservoir, but I don't have a screw to replace it, and I'm not attacking it until I can have it secured afterwards.

Any local bike mechanic should have plenty of old brake bits lying around to cannibalise for a screw, also have a look on your drz to see if they match. its not going anywhere for a while anyway.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Checked my tire pressures because the bike felt like poo poo in the corners. Front tire had 1,5 bars (21psi) and rear 2,3 (33).

Ehh.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

whilst whilst
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-difference-between-while-and-whilst/

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

echomadman posted:

Any local bike mechanic should have plenty of old brake bits lying around to cannibalise for a screw, also have a look on your drz to see if they match. its not going anywhere for a while anyway.

Thanks. Both good plans. Didn't get to my local mechanic as I got distracted test driving a brand new GTI. What I did do was swing by a Halfords and purchase myself an impact driver. Should have got one years ago.

DRZ might match, but it's 60-odd miles away. Got it recovered to my best mate's house because he actually had someone there to recover it and he's got a proper garage we can do the work in. New engine on it's way, should be installed in a couple of weeks.

I clicked that link thinking I was being told off. I type as if I'm speaking and I'd actually say whilst in person. Didn't realise it was as archaic as all that.

*edit* BOOM! Impact Driver successful! After a bit of fiddling to find out how the drat thing worked, it cracked the seal. I'll have to leave it until next weekend now, off for a week of work then back for MOT saturday.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 31, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Was hoping for great weather today and ended up getting thunderstorms instead. So spent time in the garage messing with the bikes instead of riding them.

Synced the carbs on the V-Max and the wife changed the oil in her softail. No metal shavings in the oil from the Softail so I'm confident we actually got all that out when we had to drill the exhaust stud out.

If you have a bike with 4 carbs then I can't recommend this enough.
http://www.carbtune.com/

Made getting both banks and then each bank synced up a breeze.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I built a dodgy exhaust and seat for my already very dodgy project bike.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Swapped out the stock R/R from my vtr with one from an 08 R1 earlier this week and changed my clutch and rear brake fluid today. Clutch fluid was almost black and rear fluid was very dark amber, my front brake fluid were still crystal clear but I changed it anyway. Finished just in time for it to start down pouring, hopefully it's a bit dryer tomorrow since I was rear-ended in my car Saturday and the bike is my only vehicle now.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Shared the love with a new generation, click this if you want to lose 2 mins of your life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7AIS8MVM0&hd=1

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Ordered an FCR 39 just now. Got jetting recommendations from Sisneros, can't loving wait.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Last night I decided to be a lazy oval office and just rest my tank on top of my bike instead of removing it completely because I didn't want to deal with the ragged-rear end fuel line.

The tank lost balance while I was across the garage and tumbled off the side of the bike, hitting every protrusion on it's way to the ground.

gently caress.

MY.

LIFE.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

My replacement coil FINALLY arrived today. So I can re-wire that, clear coat my new seat/tank and maybe even ride the fucker!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Crashed it, again! More in the crash thread later.
:negative:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Slavvy posted:

Last night I decided to be a lazy oval office and just rest my tank on top of my bike instead of removing it completely because I didn't want to deal with the ragged-rear end fuel line.

The tank lost balance while I was across the garage and tumbled off the side of the bike, hitting every protrusion on it's way to the ground.

gently caress.

MY.

LIFE.

Too little too late I know, but for future lazy rear end reference just grab a couple of bungee cords to prevent such an oops. It may still slide around depending on what you find for strap points, but it shouldn't slide totally off.

That's how I saved spilling gas out of the Softail the second time I had to open the head up (due to reversing the rods while I was in there the first time).

If it's enough of a pain in the rear end to get the tank off and I expect to have it off frequently (both true in the Softail's case as well) take a look at McMaster Carr and get some fuel grade valved quick disconnect fittings. Easy off, and minimal spillage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

Too little too late I know, but for future lazy rear end reference just grab a couple of bungee cords to prevent such an oops. It may still slide around depending on what you find for strap points, but it shouldn't slide totally off.

That's how I saved spilling gas out of the Softail the second time I had to open the head up (due to reversing the rods while I was in there the first time).

If it's enough of a pain in the rear end to get the tank off and I expect to have it off frequently (both true in the Softail's case as well) take a look at McMaster Carr and get some fuel grade valved quick disconnect fittings. Easy off, and minimal spillage.

The thing is, I've had this happen on my lovely first bike so I already knew not to do that and do it properly instead but I'm a dumbass. It's like when you smash your head on something and you only have yourself to blame but you just need to externalise your rage somehow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sold one.
Stuffing a bike sideways into a minivan is new to me.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Told the cops its particulars and about the last time I saw it. :smith::smith::smith::smith:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Helped my buddy load a VTX1800 with over 100,000 miles on it into a trailer and move it across town. My guess is it's out of gas (with a corroded gas cap) and the battery is dead. He daily rides his Rocket III Touring he bought a few months ago, so it hadn't been ridden in a while. Holy poo poo does that bike need a fork job. No fluid in the forks at all. Seals are basically gone.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Today I cleaned my wheels and metal bits on my bike and I learned that I shouldn't ever clean my bike, because then I notice how scratched, chipped, and beat up it is.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Got some free saddlebags and a tank bag for my Ninja 250!

They are very old but are in decent condition. The saddlebag straps are secure under the seat, and I tore open a bunch of old scsi drives and made the tank bag magnetic. I am ready for adventuring!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Voltage posted:

Got some free saddlebags and a tank bag for my Ninja 250!

They are very old but are in decent condition. The saddlebag straps are secure under the seat, and I tore open a bunch of old scsi drives and made the tank bag magnetic. I am ready for adventuring!

It looks like they're leaning against your turn signals, long term with any weight in those bags that's probably going to snap one off. If the bags don't have leeway, you can relocate the signals or do an integrated taillight.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The angle is funny, they aren't actually touching them - and the signals are also on little bendy stalks that I couldn't break off if I tried.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had to replace my signals because when I moved to Phoenix the bendy stalks literally melted enough to let the signals point towards the ground.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I had to replace my signals because when I moved to Phoenix the bendy stalks literally melted enough to let the signals point towards the ground.

I always knew that no bike manufacturer ever does environmental endurance tests on prototypes the way car makers do.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have the old square turn signals and one of them points downward a bit, it looks like the bike has ptosis

There's nothing bent/cracked/broken/twisted and the rear signals are the same part for each side. Go figure :shrug:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I put a yellow bulb in my headlight earlier this week.

In a sea of snow white and blue xenon car headlights, I think I'll stand out more. Plus it looks kinda cool and goes with the Griso's retro-futurist aesthetic. And before anyone pitches a fit, night vision is fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LifeSizePotato posted:

I put a yellow bulb in my headlight earlier this week.

In a sea of snow white and blue xenon car headlights, I think I'll stand out more. Plus it looks kinda cool and goes with the Griso's retro-futurist aesthetic. And before anyone pitches a fit, night vision is fine with it.

Selective yellow is fine, the difference is mostly subjective, but you'll get near as makes no difference the same light output as with a normal bulb as long as you don't buy the cheapest Chinese yellow bulbs from DealExtreme or whatever.

Mostly I'm just quoting you to tell you how sexy your bike is :)