Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

dur posted:

who's randy then?

its u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

assuming that's charles stross, he's one of the few people allowed to dress like that

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

pretty sure it isn't, stross is an sf writer not a nurse

all slightly overweight white men with beards glasses and shaven heads look similar, even i looked like him when i had my head shaved

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

nurses can dress however the gently caress they want

mad nurse respect

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just some nurse who had someone make him an EMH uniform. and yeah he gets to do it because he's a nurse. i'd be happy to have him as my nurse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

nurses can dress however the gently caress they want

mad nurse respect

most nurses are idiots. compassionate idiots, but still idiots.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Wow rude

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Lol if you don't think the shittiest nurse is doing a better job than any computer janitor ever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lovely nurses kill lots of people so idk

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I know a guy who quit and retrained as a hospice nurse and is now dealing with actual real poo poo on a daily basis and is happier and more satisfied with his life than he ever was janitoring databases.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Shaggar posted:

most nurses are idiots. compassionate idiots, but still idiots.

yeah tru fact, most nurses dont know poo poo and are trained to do little more than dispense advils and apply bandages

i kno a lot of cool people whe are / are training to be nurses but its a poo poo job. also a big problem in canada is that they have a huge amount of influence in the running of hospitals via committees, etc. which they use to ensure they do as little work as possible

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

I know a guy who quit and retrained as a hospice nurse and is now dealing with actual real poo poo on a daily basis and is happier and more satisfied with his life than he ever was janitoring databases.

well he was a cj so he was probably pretty used to dealing with human poo poo on a daily basis, altho perhaps not in the same sense

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:thejoke:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Lol if you don't think the shittiest nurse is doing a better job than any computer janitor ever

nurses are people janitors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when we reported quality stats back to one of our hospital clients the one department that wasn't poo poo trash garbage was the one run by a doc who the nurses all hated cause he made them do their jobs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

nurses are people janitors

pretty sure the cj equivalent of people is human resources

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hr is company janitors. nurses deal w/ people's poop. their the people janitors

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

chumpchous posted:

Doctors too, both groups are usually depressed, drunk, and too proud to use checklists like those moron pilots and astronauts do.

Shaggar posted:

hr is company janitors. nurses deal w/ people's poop. their the people janitors

So you're a janitor because of your posts?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

LP97S posted:

So you're a janitor because of your posts?

nah shaggar doesnt deal with his poop he just smears it all over the place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the mods are forum janitors

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

my mom is a counsellor in the icu at a major hospital, she works with the families of people who are maybe about to die or just did. can't even imagine doing that job.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chumpchous posted:

nurses-1 cjs-0

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

(lovely) NURSES CURE CJS

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Trig Discipline posted:

my mom is a counsellor in the icu at a major hospital, she works with the families of people who are maybe about to die or just did. can't even imagine doing that job.

my mom did the same sort of thing except she was in the ER at the hospital that handles most of the uninsured

she lasted about a year and won't talk about it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my mom's been there over a decade and is retiring soon, i think she's writing a book about it. she was also one of the counsellors working with victims and families at the okc bombing, she has Seen Some poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not to mention dealing with her terrible children

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qntm posted:

anyway the really insane stuff is exotic matter, which unlike matter and antimatter has negative mass. because it has negative mass, the faster it moves, the less kinetic energy it has. and the higher its temperature, the less thermal energy it has. also its momentum is in the opposite direction to the direction it's moving.

if you have two particles made of matter or antimatter they will gravitate together. if you have one of matter and one of exotic matter, the matter particle is repelled from exotic matter particle, while the exotic matter particle is attracted to the matter particle. as a result, the matter particle rushes away into the distance, with the exotic matter particle chasing it, at ever-increasing speeds, with the distance between them never changing. this does not violate the law of conservation of energy because the total energy in the system stays at zero as long as both particles continue to move at the same velocity

also when an exotic matter body in contact with a regular matter body, energy passes from the first to the second, causing both of them increase in temperature rapidly without limit, for basically the same reason

luckily, exotic matter does not exist anywhere in the observed universe, and nobody has the faintest idea how to begin creating some of it

this is nitpicking but particles w/ negative mass are a type of exotic matter. exotic matter in general refers to a pile of 'unusual', phenomenon including poo poo we're all over already like bose-einstein condensates

also matter w/ negative gravitational mass might also have negative inertial mass but it might not we dunno

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Trig Discipline posted:

my mom's been there over a decade and is retiring soon, i think she's writing a book about it. she was also one of the counsellors working with victims and families at the okc bombing, she has Seen Some poo poo

ive seen some poo poo

when ive read ur posts lol

i kid ur one of the good ones

but i kid

there are no good ones

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

PCjr sidecar posted:

ive seen some poo poo

but i kid

there are no good ones

lol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
my mom is a hospice nurse but she finds her job pretty rewarding because she's helping ease people's pain :unsmith:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like to read a short story about a hospice nurse robot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Crasscrab posted:

my mom is a hospice nurse

whats a hospice nurse?

oh a gallon or so

also c scifi film s: R.I.P.D was not a great movie but it was also not as universally terrible as its been slated. Bridges is always fun even if it's a by-the-numbers role and Kevin Bacon is always a good badguy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
idgi

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

ive seen some poo poo

but i kid

there are no good ones

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

House Louse posted:

pretty sure it isn't, stross is an sf writer not a nurse

all slightly overweight white men with beards glasses and shaven heads look similar, even i looked like him when i had my head shaved

slightly

i'm in yospos alright

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Grandmaster.flv posted:

we already have surplus labor why are we wasting resources fixing poor people when we could be training these nurses to fix computer machines??? seems pretty dumb if you ask me

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
all of us will one day depend on nurses so hooray for them

coffeetable posted:

this is nitpicking but particles w/ negative mass are a type of exotic matter. exotic matter in general refers to a pile of 'unusual', phenomenon including poo poo we're all over already like bose-einstein condensates

also matter w/ negative gravitational mass might also have negative inertial mass but it might not we dunno

that's cool!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

qntm posted:

all of us will one day depend on nurses so hooray for them

except for the uploaded ones, who will depend on computer janitors

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I re-read Contact.

I found it difficult to get through the second time. Sagan's writing is awfully sterile and dispassionate, almost like he's making a scientific record of events playing out under a microscope slide. Of course that's almost certainly the entire point, but it doesn't make it any less dry.

The immediate aftermath of the machine activation is one of the hardest chapters I've read. I honestly can't think of a worse thing to do to a lifelong scientist than to expose her to real events of unimaginable significance and then make it impossible for her to ever report her data or prove that her story is true. I get that the idea was to show her what the religious side of the world is like by giving her the scientific equivalent of a religious epiphany, a life-changing experience which is totally personal and can never really be explained to anybody, but this was so much worse, because at least within a mainstream religion there are other Christians who will take your visions seriously. Nobody else in the whole world will ever believe Ellie's story except the people who were there for it. The aliens are pretty advanced jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

I re-read Contact.

I found it difficult to get through the second time. Sagan's writing is awfully sterile and dispassionate, almost like he's making a scientific record of events playing out under a microscope slide. Of course that's almost certainly the entire point, but it doesn't make it any less dry.

The immediate aftermath of the machine activation is one of the hardest chapters I've read. I honestly can't think of a worse thing to do to a lifelong scientist than to expose her to real events of unimaginable significance and then make it impossible for her to ever report her data or prove that her story is true. I get that the idea was to show her what the religious side of the world is like by giving her the scientific equivalent of a religious epiphany, a life-changing experience which is totally personal and can never really be explained to anybody, but this was so much worse, because at least within a mainstream religion there are other Christians who will take your visions seriously. Nobody else in the whole world will ever believe Ellie's story except the people who were there for it. The aliens are pretty advanced jerks.

The movie was great and I still have a huge boner for jodie foster

• Locked thread