Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ShineDog posted:

Yeah you can literally go back and play any mission at any point.
Oh? Is there a way to play missions you already beat? I noticed I couldn't replay side missions after finishing them but I assume I can go back at some point to try and perfect-ghost them, right?

While I'm on the subject of perfect ghosting, am I assuming correctly that I can't capture HVTs when trying to get a perfect ghost score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Oh? Is there a way to play missions you already beat? I noticed I couldn't replay side missions after finishing them but I assume I can go back at some point to try and perfect-ghost them, right?

While I'm on the subject of perfect ghosting, am I assuming correctly that I can't capture HVTs when trying to get a perfect ghost score?

If you change the filter from "Active Missions" to "Story Missions," "4E Missions," or "All Missions" literally everything available to you up to that point can be played or replayed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well gently caress the beginning of that Iran mission, ugh.

What happened to your mic DV? I have done no coop missions :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Dogen posted:

What happened to your mic DV? I have done no coop missions :(

It was working fine earlier then when I was fiddling with the connection the Xbox froze. Then family and duty was calling anyway and I had to go. I picked a coop only mission too :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Paladin pilots say some pretty entertaining things over the intercom every once in a while.

"Whoever plastered the cockpit with the stickers labeled HAWX, please come and remove them."

:haw:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh man the incendiary grenade is great on the armored guys. So that's an option beyond sneak melee and shooting them in the face with the custom sniper with AP rounds. I just tested it out in an ambush situation where the armor dude also had a riot shield and the three remaining normal soldiers were all :gonk: looking at the body so I sleep gassed them all, because as previously noted sleep gas grenades are almost never wrong.

I've all spent nearly all my tokens and money putting together a couple fun blacklist characters so I really need to clear out some time to play with everyone again but sadly family obligation calls this weekend :(

Also what does everyone think of the different spy/merc vision modes? I haven't had a chance to test any of them out yet.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 30, 2013

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ice Fist posted:

This may be partially true, but no developer, especially big ones, is going to make a AAA title aimed at pleasing a single nation. We're a big market for sure, but I can't see everyone sitting around going 'gently caress we better make this really :911: so the Americans like it, who gives a gently caress about Europe (or anywhere else).' If anything, developers bend over backwards to target as many people as possible.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
From the point of view of a non-American reading a post written by an American, this is some hilarious poo poo. When it comes to the games industry (except the minority of the Japanese Fighting Game creators) America is the centre of the universe, and everyone else can eat a dick, or if they're lucky, get a half arsed release/design further down the line as though they were nagged into it, and everyone should be grateful they bothered.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dogen posted:

Oh man the incendiary grenade is great on the armored guys. So that's an option beyond sneak melee and shooting them in the face with the custom sniper with AP rounds. I just tested it out in an ambush situation where the armor dude also had a riot shield and the three remaining normal soldiers were all :gonk: looking at the body so I sleep gassed them all, because as previously noted sleep gas grenades are almost never wrong.

I've all spent nearly all my tokens and money putting together a couple fun blacklist characters so I really need to clear out some time to play with everyone again but sadly family obligation calls this weekend :(

Also what does everyone think of the different spy/merc vision modes? I haven't had a chance to test any of them out yet.

For Spies, the second (I think EMF) vision mode is by far the best.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sarcophallus posted:

For Spies, the second (I think EMF) vision mode is by far the best.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus I've found looking elsewhere. Less info on the merits of the merc detector modes.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
EMF is really good, but me and a couple friends were messing around with one of the mixed modes (Uplink I think?), and Sonar was really effective there due to how far it can see. We did 2 mercs, 1 spy, with the spy basically acting as overwatch with the sonar, while the mercs cleaned up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Shockeh posted:

From the point of view of a non-American reading a post written by an American, this is some hilarious poo poo. When it comes to the games industry (except the minority of the Japanese Fighting Game creators) America is the centre of the universe, and everyone else can eat a dick, or if they're lucky, get a half arsed release/design further down the line as though they were nagged into it, and everyone should be grateful they bothered.

Europe, collectively, has video game sales on par with the United States (at least from the numbers I could find from 2011). Since I'm not a game developer and can't accurately gauge how regions affect their plot decisions, I'm simply stating that if their target is to get high sales in both markets, it's ridiculous to think that a large game developer like Ubisoft would intentionally target only one market. If Blacklist is popular in Europe (and I couldn't find any numbers on sales in either region in the five minutes I searched on google while at work), that means the plot either 1. doesn't really have an effect on European's decisions to buy the game or 2. they actually like the plot (haha I doubt that, since as an American I think the plot is unimaginative and totally :911:).

Whatever, you are probably 100% right, even though it doesn't make much business sense to me. I always see Europeans and Australians complaining about release dates and whatnot whereas I've never had any complaints about that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think I just played the FPS section, unless there is just a little brief one to warm up for a longer one later. While it didn't really add anything to the game it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Dogen posted:

Yeah that seems to be the consensus I've found looking elsewhere. Less info on the merits of the merc detector modes.

EMF is pretty much the best spy vision mode all-round. A couple of areas in certain maps can make it less than ideal due to large electronics blocking your vision of mercs, but it's rarely an issue, and hardly outweighs its other benefits. Not only does it give you what is effectively easier-to-read thermal vision with a longer range, it also shows you merc electronics like mines and drones, which is *awesome*.

For mercs, the Motion Detector seems to be the best all-round, especially with the helmet to improve detection. The one that detects gunfire and (close range) movement is funky and I'm not convinced it's worth using. I haven't tried the one that detects spy vision modes yet, but since you can get a headgear as spy to negate it, I don't think it's worth using, especially since few spies seem to make use of their vision mode as much as they make use of sprinting around like a goof.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Two days and five hours of gameplay later, and I'm inching along a train yard in Philly trying to disarm a bomb, but all I can hear is "gonna get a christmas tree, the prettiest tree in the vall-ey"

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Most should use EMF, but when one player runs sonar goggles, teamwork becomes effortless and your EMF guys are even more effective. This works best on silo where the vents are everywhere, and long enough to avoid grenades. Sonar's blind spot isn't an issue when you're in the middle of a wall. Get an id tagger suit, the infiltration helmet (rfd block), and a trophy to cancel most forms of intel and the UAV, and this is almost foolproof. The team gains huge map awareness and vision range, provided you ID tag two or more mercs for your teammates as they work through the middle of the map. Combo this with a stun crossbow and a vantage point, the annoyance is enough to force disruption suit pops in the middle of the map. It may clear the id tag, but the damage is already done, your team knows where they are, and the disruption will hit cooldown as mercs enter the site. Oftentimes the trophy escapes their disruption, unless they really want to get you. It's sometimes too easy to stay put and become a burden on your team by camping a vent in this way, but the sonar is great and tells you when it's safe to leave the vents and help the hacker... as soon as you lose their attention, really.

edit: Anyone who figures out a way to use the thermal googles effectively, please let me know.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Tykero posted:

EMF is pretty much the best spy vision mode all-round. A couple of areas in certain maps can make it less than ideal due to large electronics blocking your vision of mercs, but it's rarely an issue, and hardly outweighs its other benefits. Not only does it give you what is effectively easier-to-read thermal vision with a longer range, it also shows you merc electronics like mines and drones, which is *awesome*.

For mercs, the Motion Detector seems to be the best all-round, especially with the helmet to improve detection. The one that detects gunfire and (close range) movement is funky and I'm not convinced it's worth using. I haven't tried the one that detects spy vision modes yet, but since you can get a headgear as spy to negate it, I don't think it's worth using, especially since few spies seem to make use of their vision mode as much as they make use of sprinting around like a goof.

The only thing about the RFD goggles is that it lights up people using intel suits or trying to cloak, and that can be super handy.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

Dogen posted:

I think I just played the FPS section, unless there is just a little brief one to warm up for a longer one later. While it didn't really add anything to the game it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Yeah, that was it. But somehow it wrecked the whole rest of the game, because, you see,

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I don't think the FPS sections were that bad. My issue is that they were so short that I don't see the point at all of them including it.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I kinda liked 'em. I would play a new No One Lives Forever game from these guys

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
The only problem I had with them was how incredibly inaccurate your guns were outside of a couple of meters, even while ADS'ing, which got me killed a few times in the second part. And yeah, they added basically nothing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I don't think the FPS sections were that bad. My issue is that they were so short that I don't see the point at all of them including it.

I thought it was to introduce the concept of FPS play in the Splinter Cell world in singleplayer, so that people have an idea of what Spies vs Mercs would be like, and to differentiate your time as Sam vs your time as Isaac?

I thought it was pretty effective at that, although mechanically the FPS mode is kinda floating and less conducive to stealth gameplay.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Splinter Cell Megathread: “The Splinter Cell: Blacklist service is not available at this time."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mercs have always been FPS though.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Anyone gonna be on tonight for the 360.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had a good time in the American Consumption mission. After neutralizing all the hostiles in the room with the huddled hostages, I lobbed a sleeping gas grenade into the group of hostages and they all just... ragdolled to the ground. And then as I was walking amongst their limp bodies, Sam Fisher was all like "it's okay, you're safe now, it's okay".

....as I was pushing their limp bodies into the nearby open ladder shaft.

My Sam Fisher is a pretty colossal rear end in a top hat. :v:

Skater h8er posted:

Anyone gonna be on tonight for the 360.
I will be, gamertag is Xenomrph 01.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dogen posted:

Mercs have always been FPS though.

Some people have not played it before. Not everyone is buying this game having owned the other games.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was more thrown by the hilariously weak "train level" immediately after the FPS bits.

Its like they tried to include set pieces but forget to make them interesting, unique, or sufficiently gigantic.

Also, dear lord, the game's difficulty is comically dependent on the suit and upgrades you acquire. With the basic goggles and suit, I was regularly retrying sections 10-15 times.

With the stealth suit I blazed through the latter half of the campaign with nary a problem in sight.

I don't mind an upgrade system focusing on cosmetic changes - but this is ludicrous.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Having just finished Blacklist, I can say two things: 1.) Everyone's dead eyes scare me. 2.) Holy poo poo the difficulty spikes and loving infuriating interface.

I can't tell you how many times I ended up dead because I was trying to melee ambush a loving heavy and instead the game decided that I needed to run halfway across the most well-lit portions of the room to close a window in full view of literally everything that will kill me. Then there's the "DON'T GET SPOTTED" and "DON'T BOTHER ANYONE" parts where the game is literally set up to force you to restart the area time and time again, and it's just annoying as poo poo. You make one tiny little mistake that, in any other situation, would've allowed you to adjust and move on except now you have to loving restart because REASONS. Who the gently caress thought that poo poo was fun? The god damned laser puzzles that aren't even difficult and are just a complete loving annoyance are awful, too. On top of that, there's literally nothing "big" happening in the game. Oh, sure, you get to shoot up a train, but it's probably the most boring train shooting ever conceived. Even BF3 had a (very, very slightly) better "shoot mans on the train" level. The plane being hijacked by a virus might have been exciting if it weren't for the fact that you can't move slower than a loving snail's pace. Plus, the majority of your surroundings seem oddly resistant to gravity, and thus the entire thing is just a hosed up camera angle and Sam moving in molasses.

It's like every single thing they are doing is either a.) attempting to limit your ability to stealth through an area (even though that's supposedly the point) or b.) an incompetent set-piece that either severely limits you with arbitrary bullshit, or just falls flat.

I mean, there definitely are areas that don't funnel you directly into death, don't force you into bullshit "RESTART!" scenarios, and actually let you make interesting use of gadgets and such to open up an alternate path, but gently caress me are those few and far between. It's just loving frustrating, boring, and incredibly uninspired the entire way through. There's nothing in the game that made me sit back and say "Wow, that was pretty cool." It's predictable, and when it's trying to be unpredictable, it's just boring.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 31, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What's the best thing to counter the Spy cloaking device as the Mercs? Since everyone and their grandmother uses it, the cowards.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What's the best thing to counter the Spy cloaking device as the Mercs? Since everyone and their grandmother uses it, the cowards.

The disrupter suit

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DreamShipWrecked posted:

RFD will highlight them with a white box. Combine it with the enhanced detection and it's basically wallhacks. They also never learn and continue to try it.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

intel device is great for this when you want to search an area or hold your ground, you only get 1 though.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 31, 2013

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Played my first match of SvM.

End of the match my teammate calls me a loving idiot.

...You had a mic the whole time and never bothered to coordinate at all?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So how does this game compare to Chaos Theory? I still have that game in my backlog...

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

skooma512 posted:

Played my first match of SvM.

End of the match my teammate calls me a loving idiot.

...You had a mic the whole time and never bothered to coordinate at all?

Are you playing on PC? I just played my first match and am obviously not good yet as I don't know the maps, but I would sure enjoy having somebody to play with who can learn the game with me and won't also call me an idiot.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm playing on PC and have been for a little bit (I'm in the forties rankwise, if I recall correctly) and would love to play with some other goons, experienced or not. I can teach you some of the stuff I've learned (not too much, I'm not super great or anything).

I tend to play at odd hours, though. 1am~6am Central Time (USA). My uPlay name is Tykero. Feel free to send me a friend request if you're on at that time.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Me, HardlyWalken, and Xenomrph are all on 360 atm. spot for a 4th in blacklist SvM!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'll be home in ten if you still haven't found someone by then.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm trying to play with my friend on PC but no matter how much DMZ/Firewall/Port fuckery I try, we can't connect to each other. The Steam forum seems to have a thread of people complaining about it with no real solutions. Anyone here want to add DaveKap on uPlay so we can play some noob SvM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I came to this with a free copy I got with a video card pretty much as fresh as you can get, I've never played a Splinter Cell before! I like it so far and the music is pretty drat good I just have 0 affinity for the characters. So far I can safely say I'm really happy the grizzled drunk nonsense words that come out of Ironside's mouth aren't coming out of this prettyboy killing machine.

I just know I'll never be able to go back and play the previous ones because of Blood Money syndrome, once you play the top tier game in a franchise you can't really go backwards.

• Locked thread