Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Also Kor Phaeron is an exterminatus class doucheface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Khizan posted:

I can see Horus, as Warmaster and the Emperor's proxy in the Great Crusade, talking Russ into killing Magnus for violating the strictures imposed by the Council of Nikaea, especially since Russ distrusted Magnus already.

What I can't see is Horus talking Russ into disobeying the Emperor's direct orders to do this thing.

Been a while since I read thousand sons or prosper to burns, but I was under the impression that the emperor didn't give the order to Russ directly. He contacted Horus, said "have Russ bring magnus to me for judgment", and Horus called Russ and said "dad says kill magnus" and off Russ went.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Fried Chicken posted:

prosper to burns

I know this is a typo, but I'm going to all kinds of places in my head with what this story would be.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

berzerkmonkey posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Bjorn is one of the original Marines, i.e. from Earth and created before the Primarchs were discovered.

Considering his name is "Fenrisian", Bjorn is very likely a Fenris native.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nephilm posted:

Considering his name is "Fenrisian", Bjorn is very likely a Fenris native.

He was always a poo poo sailor.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

JerryLee posted:

edit: Back to the Wolves, it's entirely plausible that they are just more experienced with bioengineering than the other chapters due to their unique challenges in that regard. Also their aforementioned independent streaks and love for tradition; in general they seem like the First Founding legion that would have thrown the fewest of its babies out with the bathwater after the Heresy so they might well have some archaeotech that they aren't letting on.

Well in Battle of the Fang, there was definitely some serious geneseed-alteration research going on, and was going very well in fact! At least until Magnus hosed it up, destroying the Wolves' only potential shot at overcoming their wulfen degeneration and the chance to become a far more greatly-numbered chapter and maybe even spread out into a little empire a la Ultramar.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How long would it take a person to travel from Terra to the Eastern Fringes? Assume you have someone like an Inquisitor who can get the fastest journey.

What about the Black Ships? If you're a psyker who has been taken away on a Black Ship, how long can you expect to languish there before arriving on Terra?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Depends. Warp travel is unreliable at the best of times.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
It's unreliable, but from Terra to the edges of the Astronomican you can expect years of travel at good speed.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Khizan posted:

IIRC, it went like this:

1) Magnus does his poo poo.
2) Emperor sends orders to Russ to bring Magnus in
3) Horus intercepts the orders and changes them to "murder the gently caress out of those dudes"
4) Russ gets his orders to murder the gently caress out of those dudes, not knowing that the orders had been hosed with
5) Russ murders the gently caress out of those dudes

It wasn't mentioned in Prospero Burns because that book is from a Space Wolf POV and they didn't know that the orders had been tampered with.

Prospero Burns also has its absolutely brilliant long-con plot twist, with the whole concept of Ibn Rustah being planted among the Wolves with the goal of making them think he's a puppet of Magnus, when in fact he's a sham puppet of Chaos itself, so that when Russ tries to communicate with Magnus through him, he gets no reply to his last-chance offer of surrender. All that work getting him where he needed to be, and it paid off perfectly.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
"Ibn Rustah" is also a great indication of how awesome Dan Abnett is as a writer. A Thousand Sons tells the story of the Thousand Sons falling almost entirely from the point of view of Space Marines, and a Primarch, and I have no real problem with that story. However, Prospero Burns tells the same story entirely from the point of view of a human being, and a really intelligent one at that, and so you end up with a really neat view of Russ and his legion that ends up telling a much better (and sadder) story of them.

Also, to rekindle something that was being discuss earlier as for the Primarchs and their anatomy/physiological requirements. I'm of the opinion that none of the Primarchs even had really stable physical forms. The Lion is described as being the biggest guy in the room on Caliban, and everyone is impressed by him but no one thinks he is some kind of freak of nature. Then later when Space Marines show up...he still looks like the biggest guy in the room, so he now looks bigger than the 7 foot giants in armor. Fulgrim is also described as just being a big ball of light before becoming a human looking baby, which implies that the Primarchs don't have set forms, but rather adapted into bodies that suited their needs.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh, their physical forms are very set, otherwise they really wouldn't be able to wear armor; it's people's perceptions that they mess with by virtue of existing.

For instance, Kurze could make himself invisible if the rumors are to be believed, and seeming either a normal human in plainclothes or a titan in golden armor as he saw fit was the Emperor's shtick. This is an ability that appears to be present in all of them except perhaps Angron, but it's arguable whether the Red Angel instilled dread through his imposing size and beast-like mannerism, or if it was his godly essence acting up.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Russ, the 1d4chan on Bjorn the Fellhanded is the greatest page. 'LO, IT SEEMS HE IS BESTING A MIGHTY FELL-BEAST WITH ONLY HIS HAND!'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The 40k fluff is complete chaos and contradictions and they've dedicated their recent efforts to Horus Heresy books because they can't advance the plot past M99.499 whatever the last year of the 40th millennium is.

I remember my first exposure to 40k being in 2004, where a friend was explain the latest global campaign GW put on during the summer which was the 13th Crusade. Since then has GW done any of those 'worldwide' plot campaigns? It seems like between the 80s to the mid 00s they were doing global campaigns from time to time that advanced the overall fluff timeline but have ground to a standstill and can't go any further because they've hit the same problem the World of Darkness franchise had in 2004 where they built up to an endgame and were forced to relaunch the franchise.

Games Workshop has way more money and fans then WoD ever had, so anything earth-shaking would probably seriously effect their revenue stream. I assume the HH books are decent cash cow but at some point they have to write the Emperor/Horus final fight because that's what most of the fanbase is waiting for.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Oh, their physical forms are very set, otherwise they really wouldn't be able to wear armor; it's people's perceptions that they mess with by virtue of existing.

For instance, Kurze could make himself invisible if the rumors are to be believed, and seeming either a normal human in plainclothes or a titan in golden armor as he saw fit was the Emperor's shtick. This is an ability that appears to be present in all of them except perhaps Angron, but it's arguable whether the Red Angel instilled dread through his imposing size and beast-like mannerism, or if it was his godly essence acting up.

I recall that the Emprah employed the use of displacer fields or some hollogram technology to appear as a mortal. I can remember in some book, when he went to 'The Last Church On Earth', he was wearing one while arguing about God with 'The Last Priest On Earth.' When the Emprah's patience finally waned, he switched it off and bam, before the priest was the master of mankind, respelendant in his magnificent golden armor.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Protons posted:

I recall that the Emprah employed the use of displacer fields or some hollogram technology to appear as a mortal. I can remember in some book, when he went to 'The Last Church On Earth', he was wearing one while arguing about God with 'The Last Priest On Earth.' When the Emprah's patience finally waned, he switched it off and bam, before the priest was the master of mankind, respelendant in his magnificent golden armor.

And then he killed him and burned his church because he disagreed.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I seem to remember the guy killed himself in the fire rather than live in a world where the god he spent his life being devoted to told him to stop being dumb and worshipping him.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Oh God that was the worst short story I've ever read, such a missed opportunity. It was as if it was written by an angry atheist who'd just finished Philosophy 101.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Aries posted:

Oh God that was the worst short story I've ever read, such a missed opportunity. It was as if it was written by an angry atheist who'd just finished Philosophy 101.

I could definately see through the writing and just pictured this bitter atheist pounding away at the keys, spittle flinging at the monitor.

Then the Emperor stood up, deactivated his displacer field and shouted "OH YEA! WELL GOD SUCKS!" as he smashed the preacher through a table.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

In all fairness the priest chose to walk back into his flaming church because he didn't want to live in a world without religion.

(his religion)

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Aries posted:

Graham McNeill's stuff is so hit and miss sometimes considering that he wrote both Fulgrim and then The Reflection Crack'd. He was one of the better Black Library authors in the early days but he's just been completely overshadowed now.

Protons posted:

In all fairness the priest chose to walk back into his flaming church because he didn't want to live in a world without religion.

(his religion)

He doesn't want to live because the Emperor is a complete dick and humanity is going to get hosed over because he is a hypocrite.

That and he and his men had also gone round killing every religious figure and destroying belief because RELIGIONand now they're literally burning this guy's entire life down. The premise is great but the execution was terrible.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wait, the Last Church wasn't a comedy?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, between HH, Eisenhorn Vs Ravenor, and his super secret project with GW, is the next eta for a Gaunt's Ghost book 2018 at this rate?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, between HH, Eisenhorn Vs Ravenor, and his super secret project with GW, is the next eta for a Gaunt's Ghost book 2018 at this rate?

I hope not, I want to get more stuff about Felix. Felix existing had been in the back of my mind for every book since Necropolis and I was just waiting for it to hit. The next book is going to be great, I'm not a fan of the new commissar though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope not, I want to get more stuff about Felix. Felix existing had been in the back of my mind for every book since Necropolis and I was just waiting for it to hit. The next book is going to be great, I'm not a fan of the new commissar though.

Who the hell is Felix?

EDIT: Right, Gaunt's spawn

Double Edit: According to Lexicanum, the next book is titled "The Warmaster" and comes out December 19th!

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 31, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who the hell is Felix?

EDIT: Right, Gaunt's spawn

Double Edit: According to Lexicanum, the next book is titled "The Warmaster" and comes out December 19th!

I'm hoping to see some tie-ins to what Criid talked about in Blood Pact. That Slaydo wanted to pick Gaunt as the new warmaster, but didn't for some unknown reason. My own theory is that on his deathbed Slaydo had a vision that foresaw Gaunt winning the crusade with the Tanith (or just Milo), and Tanith burning was Chaos trying to avert that possibility. This ties in well with all the weird poo poo Gaunt has seen so far and the direct intervention of the Saint's agents (the blind Sister). If it wasn't for the Ghosts the saint might never have manifested on Herodor.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I honestly cannot see Gaunts Ghosts ending with anything other than the Inquisition annihilating gaunt and his ghosts.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I just want them to get their world to settle when their years are done, that's all. But one by one the original ghosts die, eventually there'll be no tanith left to settle. Just give them their world slaydo you bastard!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

I just want them to get their world to settle when their years are done, that's all. But one by one the original ghosts die, eventually there'll be no tanith left to settle. Just give them their world slaydo you bastard!

You mean Macaroth? He's the one whose warmaster now.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

lenoon posted:

I can see it now, gaunt and rawne are happily linked arms and dancing in the grass. Corbec is working his nalwood, larkin and bragg are getting drunk, and mkoll and mkvenner are playing hide and seek. :3:

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Vulkan Lives has some suggestions that move it toward ambiguity.

I'd say "read Vulkan Lives" except it sucks so maybe don't read it. Man, why can't an awesome author get the Salamanders? Maybe the next one, the authors end comments indicate someone else will run with it from here

Sorry I know this is from a few pages back but I've been in a 40k fiction mood of late & so just got caught up-ish on this thread by reading the last 20 pages or so. Is Vulkan Lives already out? I'm only seeing the pre-order available on Amazon, so if you don't mind me asking, how'd you read it already? Were there advance reader copies out at some point or something?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fletchtar posted:

Sorry I know this is from a few pages back but I've been in a 40k fiction mood of late & so just got caught up-ish on this thread by reading the last 20 pages or so. Is Vulkan Lives already out? I'm only seeing the pre-order available on Amazon, so if you don't mind me asking, how'd you read it already? Were there advance reader copies out at some point or something?

Its out as an ebook from Black Library, as well as hardcover.

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003
^^^edit: thanks! Might as well pick it up now then as an ebook, save me some money on shipping.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I should have been more clear and said 40K the game. Ultimately, the game is all that matters and status quo keeps the armies where they're at. GW has no interest in upsetting the game by advancing the story, because if they do, they fear they'll lose people.

And what is the ADB post? I don't think I've seen it.

I don't see as how advancing the story would necessitate changing actual gameplay in any way whatsoever. I just finished the Night Lord trilogy a few days ago (which was great) & I've been thinking about this since reading about the Eldar related prophecy at the end. Say the forces of Chaos completely overrun Cadia. Say they overrun most of the Imperium, even. The biggest fluff change there would be basically a reversal of the CSM & C:SM factions. Instead of having somewhat ragged CSM armies hiding out in the Eye of Terror raiding the broader Imperium, you'd have Space Marines chapters hiding out in isolated systems & hiding out in space forts & whatnot & raiding a Chaos Empire. Which, frankly, would be pretty cool. Hell, you could even have Terra fall, the Emperor die, and have Earth be the seat of a new Chaos empire (obviously renaming Terra to Terror because why not at that point). And then boom, there's your Time of Ending setting. You don't have to eliminate anybody's favorite characters or factions or anything, they're just portrayed as more under-doggy. Even with Cadia completely overrun, you could still have Cadian IG regiments descended from survivors that fled the system before its fall, still following their martial traditions.

I feel like the biggest tabletop change that would generate would be seeing an increased number of regular Space Marines converted or painted to look a bit scruffier. That's really about it. And I'm not saying I feel like it would be good or necessary to do anything like this (like anything else, it'd depend on its execution & how well it's written to see if it'd be an improvement or not), just that it'd be entirely possible to advance the plot, even radically, without really *changing* anything significant for tabletop play.

edit2: oh, and how are the White Scars ebooks? Any good?

Fletchtar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Honestly that sounds like the same thinking that brought us the Battletech Dark Age setting. And we all know how well that turned out. I don't see the purpose in messing around with the basic tenets of the setting for no good reason.

Also, I'd think twice before paying money for Vulkan Lives. It was pretty terrible even by the standard of Nick Kyme books.

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Honestly that sounds like the same thinking that brought us the Battletech Dark Age setting. And we all know how well that turned out. I don't see the purpose in messing around with the basic tenets of the setting for no good reason.

Also, I'd think twice before paying money for Vulkan Lives. It was pretty terrible even by the standard of Nick Kyme books.

Honestly, I just want something I can read & not have to think about too much. I'm on a bunch of painkillers right now so it's easier to read 40k stuff than ya know, literature.

As for the plot thing, I guess I'm not really arguing that it SHOULD change so much as that it COULD change, even dramatically, without effecting the game itself in any meaningful way. I think they could (& probably should) focus on making small changes & advancing it ever closer to the Time of Ending, without ever necessarily getting there. Like sticking with the global 13th Black Crusade results, for example, would've been fine by me (which would've been cool to give Chaos some actual non-warp planets to control, or something).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The balance of the tabletop game changes (or at least has the potential to change) every time a new codex gets released and suddenly there are a bunch of new units that $FACTION totally had all along we swear. Why can't they just use storyline progression to lampshade that poo poo, like the new chaos codex comes out because Abaddon conquered a major imperial planet and there was a secret heldrake factory buried underneath the surface where nobody knew about it? It would kill two birds with one stone.

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003
That would actually be pretty perfect too.

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003
Good lord Vulkan Lives! is terrible. I'm sorry I should've just gotten the wikipedia summary, you were very right.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

JerryLee posted:

The balance of the tabletop game changes (or at least has the potential to change) every time a new codex gets released and suddenly there are a bunch of new units that $FACTION totally had all along we swear. Why can't they just use storyline progression to lampshade that poo poo, like the new chaos codex comes out because Abaddon conquered a major imperial planet and there was a secret heldrake factory buried underneath the surface where nobody knew about it? It would kill two birds with one stone.

Privateer Press do this really well with Warmachine/Hordes where the storyline moves forward but every group ends up winning and losing some fights. A lot of the new units in the game are explained as a product of the escalating arms race between the different factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

You mean Macaroth? He's the one whose warmaster now.

Yep, drat.