Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Radiapathy posted:

Going to be comparing these devices with a MOTU 24I/O, Roland Duo-Capture EX, and the audio interface on a Virus TI2.

Please post your thoughts when you compare. I'm currently debating a Roland capture ex vs a focus rite 6i6 for a portable interface and really would love to hear your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just put in an order for a Port City OS Vertical 2x12, and going to stuff it with an Avatar Hellatone 60 and Wgs Retro 30.

Can't wait to hear what my axe-fx 2 sounds like through this!

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster
The Squier Jag is a great value. Those things can rip, all cosmetic issues aside.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Leninboarrir posted:

The Squier Jag is a great value. Those things can rip, all cosmetic issues aside.

That's why I even gave it a look. I figured that since the 'Punk' aesthetic was done intentionally and not as the result of actual mistreatment of the guitar, it still has it where it counts. Can't wait to get ahold of an amp or an AC adapter for the Pod and hear this baby wail.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If the shop will respond to my eMail I may order this tomorrow

Ordered!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I've coveted an MIJ LP for a long time even though I have no need for one. Did you order from Japan?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

The Bunk posted:

I've coveted an MIJ LP for a long time even though I have no need for one. Did you order from Japan?

Yup.

Rockin.co.jp has a great selection and a staff member that handles English communication.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I decided I wanted to make other music than beep boop, get a little variety youknow, learn new tricks, find and figure out what it is that makes the hiphop beat I have always loved.

Roland SP-404SX. Like an hour of sitting down with it I'm all smiles, still figuring it out but still thinking I've learned quickly. Dr Zhivago soundtrack LP for a test, easy to find great useful cuts and loops. Very fun machine, the resampling and multitude of effects makes it like a far more useful Korg KP3 which I did a lot of quality loop based creations with. Feels good.

(recommended usage.. not like that, rather on your desk, somewhere your back won't take damage. Ow.)

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
86 MIJ Squier Strat :getin:

I also got an EQ pedal but that's boring.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Cool Blue Reason posted:

86 MIJ Squier Strat :getin:

I also got an EQ pedal but that's boring.

The paint job on that is legit. There's no way that's factory right?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Damo posted:

Please post your thoughts when you compare. I'm currently debating a Roland capture ex vs a focus rite 6i6 for a portable interface and really would love to hear your thoughts.
Will do. Specifically I'm doing a bunch of recordings on a bunch of interfaces at different settings to set up a blind listening test, giving people a chance to see if they can hear a difference between an RME UFX and an interface that costs 1/15th as much.

I'm also collecting stats on basic stuff like latency, noise floor, and USB 3.0 compatibility. I've been working on it a little bit every night for a couple weeks, but I'll have stuff ready to start posting maybe in a week or two.

MrLonghair posted:

Roland SP-404SX. Like an hour of sitting down with it I'm all smiles, still figuring it out but still thinking I've learned quickly.
I've had my eye on that thing. For all the poo poo they've been getting from the GearSlutz crowd, Roland's still quietly putting out some interesting hardware. I'm kinda interested in their new vocal trainer (VT-12), and they've got a current vocoder (VP-7) that owners swear by.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

The paint job on that is legit. There's no way that's factory right?

Nope, definitely not factory. Some guy did it in the 90's, and the copper stuff is copper leaf. That's all I really know about it.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

(bigger http://i.imgur.com/vn3doF4.jpg)

$350, fully serviced.

bought a reel to reel to mixdown to. the thing is pure sex.
also, just ordered 3 new reels of 3m tape. new. sealed. for $20 bucks shipped. love it!

kahm fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 30, 2013

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kahm posted:

also, just ordered 3 new reels of 3m tape. new. sealed. for $20 bucks shipped. love it!

Drooling irl. Thanks for the new wallpaper!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

kahm posted:

Yessssssss.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

kahm posted:

There's a place locally that has one of those for $150. I've been tempted to buy it on numerous occasions but I already have half a dozen reel-to-reels so I can't justify the purchase. For $20? I'd be all over that.

kahm
May 13, 2004

amishbuttermaster posted:

There's a place locally that has one of those for $150. I've been tempted to buy it on numerous occasions but I already have half a dozen reel-to-reels so I can't justify the purchase. For $20? I'd be all over that.

That same model? I got this for $350 fully restored and shipped, which is on the low end for one in it's condition. I'd be weary about the quality of a sub $300 tape deck, if you were wanting to seriously use it.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

kahm posted:

That same model? I got this for $350 fully restored and shipped, which is on the low end for one in it's condition. I'd be weary about the quality of a sub $300 tape deck, if you were wanting to seriously use it.

I misread your post it seems. From what you wrote it looked like you paid $20 for it, including shipping, rather than X and only $20 for shipping. It is the same model though and it is pristine. I just don't really need it.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I think he paid $20 for the tape to put in his $350 reel to reel.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I got that now. He didn't include his price for the deck in his post. Everyone else has been including the price so I read the price described as the price for the deck.

kahm
May 13, 2004

Yikes, I'm unclear. Put the price. I almost considered buying a cheaper one. But then I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0argtn0HNE0

..and i knew what i wanted to get.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Radiapathy posted:

I've had my eye on that thing. For all the poo poo they've been getting from the GearSlutz crowd, Roland's still quietly putting out some interesting hardware. I'm kinda interested in their new vocal trainer (VT-12), and they've got a current vocoder (VP-7) that owners swear by.

It's from 2009, recent years of Roland still look dull, even when I see when with my non-gearslutty "303 remake or bust" eyes.

After a few more hours with it; Compared to the over-engineered pain in the rear end MPC1000 I got rid of it's more like an expanded Casio SK-1, Korg KP3, limited but not suffering from it at all. Recorded a video with the MPC just as a test to see how long it took to sample from a record, cut it into two different parts and put it down on two pads - despite having had this for far less than a day the 404SX is over ten times faster than the MPC1000. An old MPC made for this purpose would have been a lot faster than the 1000 model also, but this is touch and go, this is what I wanted with my investment. So happy with it!

Got a big challenge ahead of me in finding a good source of drums to cut because I've received word that somebody in town keeps buying suitable LPs the moment they appear in the crates. I want to meet this person and jam.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011

I have no shame.

Double Bass fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 31, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Bought my first guitar from a guy on Craigslist trying to get rid of things before he moved. I scored a beat to hell 2012 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified in Olympic White and a Pod XT for $170.

(Sorry for lovely phone pics.)

The Jag is intentionally beaten up - the old owner hosed up the exterior with the intention of making it look Punk As gently caress. Otherwise the hardware is fine aside from a missing tremolo bar. (He locked the trem, which explains why it's gone)

The Pod is missing a power cord and its output pot is broken and stuck at 5, but as a 'throw it in for free' deal I'll take it. He also tossed in a tab book, cord, strings, picks, cloth, and a strap.

The guy who sold me this guitar made me a last minute offer I couldn't refuse. $190 for a custom SX modeled after a Les Paul Goldtop with all the trimmings. It's been gigged a lot, but it's in immaculate condition. More than makes up for the beat-up Jaguar.

:gonk: gently caress, I'm just getting started and I already have two of these things. I'm not done, am I? :retrogames:

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
You should stop dropping $$ on guitars and buy an actual amp.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cool Blue Reason posted:

You should stop dropping $$ on guitars and buy an actual amp.

I'm starting off with Rocksmith, so I'm not in too much of a rush to get one. Besides, I've got the Pod and some headphones I can use for now.

Who am I kidding, I'll be watching for a good deal on an amp like a hawk once my next paycheck rolls in.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

The guy who sold me this guitar made me a last minute offer I couldn't refuse. $190 for a custom SX modeled after a Les Paul Goldtop with all the trimmings. It's been gigged a lot, but it's in immaculate condition. More than makes up for the beat-up Jaguar.

:gonk: gently caress, I'm just getting started and I already have two of these things. I'm not done, am I? :retrogames:

Invader in the bridge and Phat Cat in the neck? That'd run you $160 new anyway so that's a drat good deal.

You've got single coils, humbuckers and p-90s spread over 2 very different guitars. If that trem lock is reversible you're officially out of good GAS excuses.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

I'm starting off with Rocksmith, so I'm not in too much of a rush to get one. Besides, I've got the Pod and some headphones I can use for now.

Who am I kidding, I'll be watching for a good deal on an amp like a hawk once my next paycheck rolls in.

I have no experience with Rocksmith, but those Pods are all well and good so I hear. It's just a lot more fun to play in front of an amp imo, you're missing a whole dimension if you just sit around playing through headphones. Just keep an eye out on craigslist like you did for the guitars and you'll find something good.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Once again the Thrift and Pawn shop gods are looking kindly on me.

1965 Silvertone acoustic. This is a "stella" size, 24" scale with 12 frets to the body. Basically a student size guitar, but they have a distinct character. I have a couple of Harmony branded ones. In decent shape for what it is, typical bow in the bridge and neck from being strung with steel strings, but playable. Missing the ferrules from the tuners, but I happen to have a stash of old Harmony parts.

Red Knob Fender "The Twin". I wanted a Twin Reverb, but I sure wasn't going to pass on this one at this price.

Tears in the tolex visible on the lower front edge and cobwebs in the back, but otherwise complete with footswitch. Somehow I managed to get this off the top of a set of PA speakers without killing myself, but carrying it up a flight of stairs was a chore.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

160 Watts of bad rear end. It's heavy as hell but I'm going to hack it into a head and put the Black Widows in my Mesa cab. It needs some TLC (retubing it will cost as much as I paid for it. 6x6L6GCs :black101:) but it will be worth it to explode faces.

ethan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 1, 2013

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So I started drum lessons on Saturday, and my instructor advised that I find a bass drum pedal and get used to it. She also said to make it a good one that'll last for a while. After spending some time at my local drum shop getting my WFL's all spruced-up and ready for action (pics on that later), I asked if they had any deals going on for kick pedals. I was led over to this bad boy:

An older dude was downsizing and didn't need/use this pedal anymore. Got it for $160 and there isn't a mark on it. Came with a bag, too!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just got my Port City 2x12 in the mail today! That was super fast shipping considering it was over a holiday weekend!

I wanted a cab that would match up in quality with my axe-fx 2/matrix gt1000fx combo, I was using my buddies JCM 900 2x12 loaded with G12t-75's which more and more I detest. I loaded this cab with a Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 up top, and an Avatar Hellatone 60 on the bottom. I only got the hellatone about an hour ago and its too late to really crank it now (paypal decided to default to my old houses shipping address. Good thing the lady who lives there now is super nice!)

I'll report back tomorrow after I can turn it up and melt some faces off. Mainly mine.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Not here yet, but Sweetwater is all set to take my money, take it off one truck, and put it on another one the moment this bad boy comes into their warehouse :dance:

Apparently I got got dibs on the last one coming into Sweetwater on the first shipment. Literally every single one of these is now accounted for before they even set foot in the warehouse. All you suckers have to wait till November now .

e: Maybe it wasn't clear, but I'm getting the Squier VM Bass VI. This is some other lucky bastards photo cause none of the other photos looked good.

foonykins fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

foonykins posted:

Not here yet, but Sweetwater is all set to take my money, take it off one truck, and put it on another one the moment this bad boy comes into their warehouse :dance:

Apparently I got got dibs on the last one coming into Sweetwater on the first shipment. Literally every single one of these is now accounted for before they even set foot in the warehouse. All you suckers have to wait till November now .

I'm actually way more jealous of your space echo. Also are in a Sonic Youth tribute band with all those offsets?

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Not my pic, didn't want to use the stock photo cause I couldn't find one in a decent resolution.

I wish i had all those effects though.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
NGD!!!

Brand new custom job Tokai 1954 Black Beauty replica. No staple pickup, but those aren't something I absolutely had to have anyway. Played it alongside my Gibson earlier. Sound almost identical, which is a plus for me. Gonna gig it this weekend and then decide which one I like better. One of them is going on the chopping block. Couple Pros/Cons of each if anyone wants to throw in their two cents:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

ethan posted:

160 Watts of bad rear end. It's heavy as hell but I'm going to hack it into a head and put the Black Widows in my Mesa cab. It needs some TLC (retubing it will cost as much as I paid for it. 6x6L6GCs :black101:) but it will be worth it to explode faces.

Does the phaser work on yours? If so how does it sound? The phaser on my old peavey wasn't working when I bought it. So just how loud is that thing?

scarface11d
Nov 12, 2010
this is my new guitar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Are you perhaps a viking kitten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Krustic posted:

Does the phaser work on yours? If so how does it sound? The phaser on my old peavey wasn't working when I bought it. So just how loud is that thing?

Nah, the phaser is shot on mine too. The dude I got it from only put 4 6L6GB (lower wattage than GCs) tubes in it so it isn't at it's fullest, but at the moment it keeps up with my Laney VH100r pretty well (Laney on 5-6, Peavey at 7ish). I use the clean channels on both and pedals for dirt.

I can't wait to retube it.