Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: wrong thread

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Something on the last page of the security fuckup thread in yospos is causing the app to crash. Can't check what it is as I only have my phone at the moment.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Something on the last page of the security fuckup thread in yospos is causing the app to crash. Can't check what it is as I only have my phone at the moment.

It's this: http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/29/text-based-bug-that-crashes-apps-in-os-x-10-8-ios-6-discovered-fixed-in-os-x-10-9-and-ios-7/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Ha! I wouldn't have been able to check on my laptop anyways :downs:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

A review on the App Store posted:

I was initially unsure if this was a real app or troll due to all the goony GBS reviews.

Great job everyone!

(I mean it.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The app update notes are always so entertaining. I actually read the ones for Awful!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

The app update notes are always so entertaining. I actually read the ones for Awful!

I always read the Awful patch notes. It's the only app I am happy to see under the App Store that needs updating!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Any way we can get a clear cache option so you don't have to uninstall/reinstall for this?

That or a cache cap maybe?

^^^ I also love the updates

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Logging out will clear the cache. Though an option in the settings tab would be welcoming.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Any way we can get a clear cache option so you don't have to uninstall/reinstall for this?

That or a cache cap maybe?

^^^ I also love the updates

I'll throw it on the list. That's a very impressive cache size!

I didn't bother with a "clear cache" button because everything goes in the Caches folder, which iOS clears out whenever your phone gets low on space. In theory you never need to worry about it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I'll throw it on the list. That's a very impressive cache size!

I didn't bother with a "clear cache" button because everything goes in the Caches folder, which iOS clears out whenever your phone gets low on space. In theory you never need to worry about it.

Is it possible to have it clear automatically at a size you specified?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

Is it possible to have it clear automatically at a size you specified?

Yes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Make the upcoming "clear cache" button just add a few MB to the cache instead, for entertainment purposes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Given how often people bitch about "other" space in the iphone thread, making them unable to install apps, I'm not sure iOS is as good about keeping tidy as the docs say it is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It only works if the dev implements caching correctly. "Other" more likely represents data from apps which aren't caching correctly.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Its a great app and i love it. The mark read up to here is awesome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

To anyone who both understands what this means and gives a poo poo: the GitHub organization has been renamed to Awful and the repository has been renamed to Awful.app. Update your remotes accordingly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If anyone wants to re-live the release notes, links to each version are in the 2OP.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone still have the frog icons, or can get the ones from the android app?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

kloa posted:

Does anyone still have the frog icons, or can get the ones from the android app?

Why, exactly? I'm not a huge fan of it. It's just annoying that we can't use the standard grenade.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is it App Store restriction why the grenade isn't used?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Why, exactly? I'm not a huge fan of it. It's just annoying that we can't use the standard grenade.

Because I want to replace the current icon with a cool frog?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is it App Store restriction why the grenade isn't used?

Someone made an iOS app back in the day that used the grenade logo and got banned for it.

If a representative of Something Awful LLC grants us permission to use the logo or its likeness, I'm willing to accept a new icon.

I'm also happy with the current icons!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kloa posted:

Because I want to replace the current icon with a cool frog?

But it's not a cool thing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Someone made an iOS app back in the day that used the grenade logo and got banned for it.

If a representative of Something Awful LLC grants us permission to use the logo or its likeness, I'm willing to accept a new icon.

I'm also happy with the current icons!

Well technically he got banned for charging money for it despite blocking SA's ads. IIRC the use of the grenade logo was discouraged because its the logo of Something Awful LLC, so it wouldn't imply any affiliation.

The Dave posted:

But it's not a cool thing.

:frogc00l:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

Well technically he got banned for charging money for it despite blocking SA's ads. IIRC the use of the grenade logo was discouraged because its the logo of Something Awful LLC, so it wouldn't imply any affiliation.

I can't find the thread or the Leper's Colony entry so I can't prove you wrong.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

People gave him poo poo for both charging and using the logo. Lowtax came in and banned him and closed the thread, but he never made it clear which issue exactly got him banned or if it was both.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be nice if they just manned up and did one of three things:

a) Declare Awful.app "official",
b) Make a mobile version of the website,
c) Implement an API to fetch forums via xml instead of forcing us to parse html.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

xzzy posted:

Be nice if they just manned up and did one of three things:

a) Declare Awful.app "official",
b) Make a mobile version of the website,
c) Implement an API to fetch forums via xml instead of forcing us to parse html.

I think the middle option is a long-term goal, which means options A wont happen and C would require a shift in focus

I'm already happy with Awful as-is, though, so here's hoping Lowtax doesn't decide to charge for the app because I probably won't drop more cash for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm already happy with Awful as-is, though, so here's hoping Lowtax doesn't decide to charge for the app because I probably won't drop more cash for it.

Umm what?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Actually, here's where Lowtax banned the iGoon guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3354656&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post383671931 so looks like the hypothetical official forums app will be free.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Dave posted:

Umm what?

I'm talking about a possible future in-house app, not Awful. If it cost money, but Awful was still around (or at least still usable on my device) then there's no reason to switch, because Awful is honestly the best implementation I can think of. Everything's spot on for daily usage

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Actually, here's where Lowtax banned the iGoon guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3354656&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post383671931 so looks like the hypothetical official forums app will be free.

Yeah, in 2010. That app ain't ever gonna show up. :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey it's a long pipeline ok.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Choochacacko mentioned wanting to do that, but there hasn't been any updates from Choochacacko in the past couple of months. But from anything I have read about the backend, radium made it an undocumented labyrinth.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Terminal Entropy posted:

Choochacacko mentioned wanting to do that, but there hasn't been any updates from Choochacacko in the past couple of months. But from anything I have read about the backend, radium made it an undocumented labyrinth.

The YOSPOS thread where Lowtax documented Chooch's steady decline into madness was pretty great. I'm attributing Chooch's disappearance to his brain being sucked into a dark void, over more reasonable explanations like suicide or "not getting paid enough for this poo poo".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Choo started working on JSON output for a few things, including threads and posts, but got sidetracked I guess.

I'm guessing if I were Choo and Choo spoke like I do in this thread the answer would be "it's on the list".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Awesome app pokeyman, I love using it on my iPad. I've just noticed a minor issue with it though. It doesn't seem to want to let me log out properly. Every time I go to log out it will look like it's logged out but then crash to the home screen, and when I go back into it, I'm still logged in. Logging out a second time after that does the trick though.

Anyone else having this issue?

Also, is there any way to filter between post subjects like you can on browsers? That would really help when trying to find certain threads in the larger forums.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Awesome app pokeyman, I love using it on my iPad. I've just noticed a minor issue with it though. It doesn't seem to want to let me log out properly. Every time I go to log out it will look like it's logged out but then crash to the home screen, and when I go back into it, I'm still logged in. Logging out a second time after that does the trick though.

What version of iOS are you using–iOS 5 or iOS 6?

quote:

Also, is there any way to filter between post subjects like you can on browsers? That would really help when trying to find certain threads in the larger forums.

No way to filter threads currently. It's now on the list though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And I figured that was the case with the filtering thing. Thanks for the answer though.

• Locked thread