Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My friend moved and gave me all of his legion, but owes me money. Another friend wants to buy it from me. What is the unofficial sales point?

I have unopened boxes, metal figures, primed figures and painted ones.

I'm thinking the boxes can go for 20% off(my FLGS does this so gotta stay competitive) then the metal figures go for 30% and the primed/painted ones for 50%.

Does that seem about right?

Unless you want to capitalize on your friend's ignorance or you aren't in the US, I'd sell the NIB stuff at 30-40% off MSRP, since it's really easy to get 30% off NIB stuff online. I have historically sold NIB or well-painted stuff for about 40% off, well-assembled and unpainted/primed or raw stuff for about 50% off, and shittily painted for 50-75% off. But how good a friend is he, and how much does he want to help you out? You can always have a frank and free conversation and just negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
And in the next chapter of Karnegal slowly paints his new army:

I'm not really thrilled with these, but I think they're at least presentable.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Karnegal posted:

I really love the purple-ish metal. How'd you do that?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm thinking the boxes can go for 20% off(my FLGS does this so gotta stay competitive) then the metal figures go for 30% and the primed/painted ones for 50%.

I'd probably knock another 5-15% off the boxed and bare figures, since 20-30% off is basically internet retail.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

CaptCommy posted:

I really love the purple-ish metal. How'd you do that?

I wish I had a cool explination, but it's just Reaper's Sparkling Amethyst over black, with a dose of P3's Armor wash. I've been a fan of reaper's colored metalics, since I started using the blue one on my High Elf army years ago.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Karnegal posted:

I wish I had a cool explination, but it's just Reaper's Sparkling Amethyst over black, with a dose of P3's Armor wash. I've been a fan of reaper's colored metalics, since I started using the blue one on my High Elf army years ago.

That's actually better news, because I'm still pretty bad at painting. Haven't actually looked at Reaper's paint line yet, will have to check those out.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Karnegal posted:

They look for the most part, one thing i would recommend for your eyeballs, don't just do a black dot as it makes them look weird, instead do a vertical line acoss the entire eye, at that scale it seems more like a real eye than just the dot.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Everything but Warnouns and Battle Engines are considered warrior models.

Warbeasts and warjacks are not warrior models. I think most warnouns are warrior models though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Last time I played Incursion we used primed boomhowlers for the "flags."

This was unsatisfactory, so I whipped up some quick-and-dirty 40mm scenario flags.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

CaptCommy posted:

That's actually better news, because I'm still pretty bad at painting. Haven't actually looked at Reaper's paint line yet, will have to check those out.

I love Reaper's paints. I'm a big fan of the dropper bottle. They also stay good forever. I hadn't painted in like 6 years and as soon as I unpacked them they were good to go with minor clearing of the top. They also require very little thinning.

Calico Noose posted:

They look for the most part, one thing i would recommend for your eyeballs, don't just do a black dot as it makes them look weird, instead do a vertical line acoss the entire eye, at that scale it seems more like a real eye than just the dot.

That's what I was going for, but I fat fingers'ed it. Now they're googly eyes

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Sorry to back-to-back here, but I'm looking for some list building advice. A shop I go to is starting a steamroller prep league this week, I won't have enough poo poo together this week, but I just dropped an order at CSI for some boradgames and figures to flesh out a 35 point list. However, I'm supposed to have a second 35 point list as well - right now I just have 1 extra figure and a second caster, so I could use some advice on where to expand for a second list. My list isn't tuned or anything, just whatever came in the 2 player box plus some recommendations from this thread when I started.

System: Hordes
Faction: Legion
Casters: 1/1
Lylyth, Herald of Everblight (*6pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Angelius (9pts)
*Carnivean (11pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
-UA Warspear Chieftain (2pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepard (1pt)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Other Models I have:
1 extra Blighted Nyss Shepard, 1 Vayl, Consul of Everblight

Things that seem cool but I have no idea if they're good (should I buy this stuff, is it redundant with stuff I have?):
Raptors (Jesus are these guys expensive!), Incubi, Blighted Legionnaires

Also, does no one play Nephilim? I haven't seem them talked about much when Legion is discussed.

Finally, do people usually take two different factions when they need multiple lists or do you two different lists in faction?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Karnegal posted:

Finally, do people usually take two different factions when they need multiple lists or do you two different lists in faction?

For tournaments it is always two lists in faction.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Vosenbergen posted:

realism for me has best been done with wet blending...

also, do you have any super fine brushes? I find that putting a really fine solid color on the edges of things helps keep me both within the bounds of the thing I'm trying to paint (I am notoriously bad at hitting legs while I paint inner cloaks) as well as giving me a color to blend outwards to

I've been trying wet blending abit more recently, starting to get the hang of it.

Any suggestions of a colour scheme for these guys? The armoured bits of the army are going to be the traditional cygnar blue

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

gilljoy posted:

I've been trying wet blending abit more recently, starting to get the hang of it.

Any suggestions of a colour scheme for these guys? The armoured bits of the army are going to be the traditional cygnar blue

I've always been a fan of Cream white rather than gold or yellow

You might also try something like accents of green (but only as an accent colour) because green actually goes quite well with dark blue

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Karnegal posted:

Sorry to back-to-back here, but I'm looking for some list building advice. A shop I go to is starting a steamroller prep league this week, I won't have enough poo poo together this week, but I just dropped an order at CSI for some boradgames and figures to flesh out a 35 point list. However, I'm supposed to have a second 35 point list as well - right now I just have 1 extra figure and a second caster, so I could use some advice on where to expand for a second list. My list isn't tuned or anything, just whatever came in the 2 player box plus some recommendations from this thread when I started.

*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Angelius (9pts)
*Carnivean (11pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Other Models I have:

Things that seem cool but I have no idea if they're good (should I buy this stuff, is it redundant with stuff I have?):

Also, does no one play Nephilim? I haven't seem them talked about much when Legion is discussed.

I haven't had an opportunity to play with them myself, but I understand Raptors are pretty good, especially with Lylyth and their character solo, Annyssa. Blighted Legionnaires are also a nice troop option, but they're basically a meat shield for delivery of your warbeasts, with their UA (Captain Farilor) helping in that regard. I haven't played with Incubi, but you'd at least need them for Kallus's feat if you ever get him. People do play Nephalim sometimes, but usually with the Bolt Thrower because of its Thunderbolt ranged weapon. Protector and Soldier show up rarely. That's not to say you can't make them work, and there's an alternate battlebox for leagues starting with battleboxes that features Thragosh1 and a Soldier.

If you have Lylyth and Vayl2, I would highly suggest you go ahead and burn the cash on two heavy dragonspawn plastic kits, and magnetize them fully. Lylyths play well with 2x Ravagores, while a Scythean is good for Vayl.

I'm going to stop there because that'll help out at 35 easily, and Warspears are a plausible unit for either caster, but when you expand to 50, Annyssa/Raptors/Legions/Farilor are good choices to buy. If you decide to get the Raptors early, they and Annyssa might switch in for the Warspears with a bit of tinkering.

You might try these two out (assuming you get those dragonspawn kits). I tried to use fit the models you currently have into at least one of two lists.

* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 2 Grunts) (5pts)
* Warspear Chieftan (2pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Vayl, Consul of Everblight (*6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Carnivean (11pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
* Scythean (9pts)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This morning I played Khador and Protectorate.

Then I stopped by my FLGS's quarterly consignment sale.

What have I done?

(Come on it was FIFTEEN BUCKS and I just grabbed a starter pamphlet from the display so as to have the Mk2 cards.)

e: for that price I'm half-tempted to paint up the lights and put them in the iron claws of Conquest, flailing helplessly.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 31, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Would anyone mind scanning the pics of the hill and forest from the starter and hosting them somewhere? I'd like to print some copies of those out.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Karnegal posted:

*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Shredder (2pts)
*Angelius (9pts)
*Carnivean (11pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Other Models I have:

Incubi generally are not worth it except for with Kallus.

I would recommend getting the pasta pot and a couple harriers and stingers to make out of it. It is such an awesome model/unit.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Pyrolocutus posted:

I haven't had an opportunity to play with them myself, but I understand Raptors are pretty good, especially with Lylyth and their character solo, Annyssa. Blighted Legionnaires are also a nice troop option, but they're basically a meat shield for delivery of your warbeasts, with their UA (Captain Farilor) helping in that regard. I haven't played with Incubi, but you'd at least need them for Kallus's feat if you ever get him. People do play Nephalim sometimes, but usually with the Bolt Thrower because of its Thunderbolt ranged weapon. Protector and Soldier show up rarely. That's not to say you can't make them work, and there's an alternate battlebox for leagues starting with battleboxes that features Thragosh1 and a Soldier.

If you have Lylyth and Vayl2, I would highly suggest you go ahead and burn the cash on two heavy dragonspawn plastic kits, and magnetize them fully. Lylyths play well with 2x Ravagores, while a Scythean is good for Vayl.

I'm going to stop there because that'll help out at 35 easily, and Warspears are a plausible unit for either caster, but when you expand to 50, Annyssa/Raptors/Legions/Farilor are good choices to buy. If you decide to get the Raptors early, they and Annyssa might switch in for the Warspears with a bit of tinkering.

You might try these two out (assuming you get those dragonspawn kits). I tried to use fit the models you currently have into at least one of two lists.

* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Vayl, Consul of Everblight (*6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Carnivean (11pts)
* Ravagore (10pts)
* Scythean (9pts)

Thanks for the advice, on a related note, what's an online store that sells appropriately sized magnets, my local store's smallest ones are 1/4 inch. I picked up a few because I figured I'd use the Carnivean from the starter box as a test case, but they seem pretty bid, especially for the head. The arms seem like they'll work out alright, but 1/8th in would probably be better.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I finally played my Vlad3 list a while back. As usual, I did a picture battle report. This one shows off how little I know about cav. It also demonstrates what I already knew: Circle does not crack armor well. Here's the battle report

And here's a WIP photo of my Conquest:

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Someone convince me not to buy a fully painted 100+pt Skorne army with 8 casters and Molik Karn for $350. I shouldn't even be looking at it because I already have Trolls and Khador, but.. WAR ELEPHANTS!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Someone convince me not to buy a fully painted 100+pt Skorne army with 8 casters and Molik Karn for $350. I shouldn't even be looking at it because I already have Trolls and Khador, but.. WAR ELEPHANTS!

Is it well painted?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Thats a p. good deal. Go for it. Smash faces.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

nvm

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 1, 2013

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

!amicable posted:

I finally played my Vlad3 list a while back. As usual, I did a picture battle report. This one shows off how little I know about cav. It also demonstrates what I already knew: Circle does not crack armor well. Here's the battle report

I love the tan and blue look.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Is this on bartertown?

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Odd question: I don't suppose there's any place online that people list stolen and/or missing Warmachine armies? I purchased a set of random Warmachine figures online through an anonymous Amazon seller, which was a... suspiciously good deal, if you catch my meaning. When it shows up (*if* it ever shows up), I was wanting to double-check if I had come across someone elses' minis so they could be returned. Thank you :) !

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Karnegal posted:

Thanks for the advice, on a related note, what's an online store that sells appropriately sized magnets, my local store's smallest ones are 1/4 inch. I picked up a few because I figured I'd use the Carnivean from the starter box as a test case, but they seem pretty bid, especially for the head. The arms seem like they'll work out alright, but 1/8th in would probably be better.

I use magnets from brick and mortar retailers - I have some that are only sized in metric at 3mmx2mm (3mm=~.11 in versus 1/8 being .125 in which I used for my Cygnar jacks and the Dragonspawn heads. 1/8th is probably better for the head.

susan posted:

Odd question: I don't suppose there's any place online that people list stolen and/or missing Warmachine armies? I purchased a set of random Warmachine figures online through an anonymous Amazon seller, which was a... suspiciously good deal, if you catch my meaning. When it shows up (*if* it ever shows up), I was wanting to double-check if I had come across someone elses' minis so they could be returned. Thank you :) !

Not that I can think of. Referring to the conversation just above about pricing, do the models have a bad paint job? Or maybe the dude is just pricing to sell.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wouldn't read too much into a low price on used models. In my local group people price to move models like INSTANTLY and change armies all the time.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Not that I can think of. Referring to the conversation just above about pricing, do the models have a bad paint job? Or maybe the dude is just pricing to sell.

They're not painted great, a couple are broken, and they look like older models that might not have been touched in years. *shrug* I don't even know what's fully in the lot that they're sending, just that the warjacks in the provided picture alone were worth 3-4 times the asking price and were theoretically only a fraction of the total set. Just want to do my due diligence in case, y'know :) ?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yep, I am every cygnar player now.

WIP chickenbuddy

WIP jr lady

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just finished (I think) my 35 point Scyrah list for our groups journeyman league ( a little way off from using it yet as we only just started round 1!)

What do you think ( other than lol you play Ret):

Retribution of Scyrah - Jman 35

42 / 42 (35+7) Warcaster(s) : 1/1 Warjack(s) : 2 Battle Engines : 0 Solos : 6 Units : 1

Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper - WJ: +7
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
- Manticore - PC: 8
- Phoenix - PC: 10

Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 2
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 2
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 3
Ghost Sniper - PC: 2
Ghost Sniper - PC: 2
Arcanist - PC: 1

Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Strike Force Commander - Commander 2

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
We won a small doubles tournament this weekend - a lot of fun, saw a bunch of new stuff, and I got to kill my first Stormwall (or any colossal for that matter)

Our Deathjack rips up a conquest and is then put in the Naughty Box while it's glued back together:

Bonus googly eyes:

Rest of the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hcjr67xgawhmq9/5Ga37bye-j

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Where did you get those ring style templates? They look really good

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

!amicable posted:

Good battle report. Just as a note, when you say that Conquest killed a Stalker, took a punch at Megalith and then forgot to fire his guns at Krueger. He wasn't allowed to fire his guns, Colossals do have the rule that lets them shoot while engaged, but they don't have virtuoso so they choose to either make ranged or melee attacks in an activation, they con't get both.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Serotonin posted:

Where did you get those ring style templates? They look really good

Those are by Advanced Deployment. They make a lot of really neat stuff for WM/H. The shop was down for a while while the owner was dealing with family troubles but I think it's back up and running now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where's that wreck marker from?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Where's that wreck marker from?

That comes with all of the Colossals.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Real hurthling! posted:

Yep, I am every cygnar player now.

WIP chickenbuddy

WIP jr lady

I like this style, at this point its very cartoony which is hard for me to do for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Forgot to say: googly-eyed Cryx jacks are awesome.

• Locked thread