Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I picked up the Helicarrier Escape set from Walmart for $35. Pretty sweet deal.

Please tell me you haven't gone back home. I would love to be there when the X-ray tech sitting at the monitor sees your bag at the airport. Full of transformers and Legos. Just outlines of MP Soundwave and the Lego Hulk. You need to sneak a pic of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's amazing how lifelike she looks in that pic. Dat flat rear end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

Please tell me you haven't gone back home. I would love to be there when the X-ray tech sitting at the monitor sees your bag at the airport. Full of transformers and Legos. Just outlines of MP Soundwave and the Lego Hulk. You need to sneak a pic of that.

Ha! That's exactly what it's going to be like. I leave on Thursday. My swag pile so far is:
• MP Soundwave
• Lego Helicarrier
• Springer
• Blitzwing
• Hoist
• Octan Tanker Truck
• 10 x series 8 minifigs

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Any love for chima on this thread:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rathina posted:

Here is a link to 40% off some Lego Sets @ yoyo.com I think it is today only. http://slickdeals.net/f/6250050-YoY...99#post61640644

I got the Lego Mine

Thanks for this. I've been wanting the Creator Highway Pickup for a while but didn't want to spend $80 for it. $48 was much easier to swallow!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The old printed control panel as a cell phone is brilliant.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Introducing the Arminius line! Are you looking for a versatile chassis that can outfit your entire unit, and save you CASH at the same time with a large degree of parts commonality? Well, the Arminius line is for you.

AMN-I5 Arminius Model 0 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Here we've got the base of the whole concept. The chassis is fast, moderately armored, and generally flexible. While we certainly wouldn't recommend running a base model in a real combat situation, it alone makes a perfect trainer or pilot program mech. You can see the core elements of the design here as well - multiple degrees of freedom in the joints, but well armored as well. "Okay, Mr. Foo," you say, "but we need something that is actually battlefield-capable." Well let me point you to our first option.

AMN-IS Arminius Model -Sierra- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The -Sierra- loadout is a simple add-on package to the base -I5 model. We've swapped one of the shoulder armor pieces for a smartcannon, and armed the mech with a medium scatter laser as well. The rotary magazine allows a high rate of fire, and the choke is customizable on the fly by your pilot, allowing for a wide variety of combat tactics with just a single weapon design. The -Sierra- is also available as an upgrade kit, only requiring your technicians to remove the armor plate at the shoulder and, of course, make the appropriate core-peripheral interfaces. Professional services are available!

AMN-IW Arminius Model -Winchester- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The next variant I'd like to show you is the -Winchester- loadout. For the marksmen in your unit, the -Winchester- features a high-caliber precision rifle. The mech is pictured here with standard anti-materiel saboted KP rounds, but other options are available, including flechette, HE, and HEP ammunition. Other types may be available upon request. The -Winchester- also carries a small close-combat knife for situations in which the enemy has forced your riflemen into melee. This model is also available as an upgrade kit!

AMN-IH Arminius Model -St. Helens- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

If stand-off shooting capability is still too close for comfort, then take a look at our artillery variant. This mech carries ten total tubes in two sizes. Capable of single-handedly saturating a combat zone with fire missions, the -St. Helens- also carries a high-power radio transceiver to receive detailed targeting info from FO units regardless of battlefield conditions. The mech is capable of targeting its own fire missions with the included target designator although using it in this manner does not take full effect of the mech's capabilities. Though your foes may never see it, the -St. Helens- might just be the most terrifying mech on the battlefield with its unmatched ability to pound fortified positions into scrap. This variant is not available as an upgrade kit.

AMN-IK Arminius Model -Kasap- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The -Kasap- is the diametric opposite to the the previous mech. If you want to shred your enemies personally, this is the variant you're looking for. It's been significantly up-armored and fitted with two massive vibroblades. Notably in this design, the hands have been preserved, so additional devices may be installed, although we find they often detract from the primary mission of the -Kasap-, which is to get in close and tear apart armor with efficiency and speed. As well as factory, this variant is also available as a professional refit kit, bridging the gap between our customer-installable upgrade kits and brand new mechs.

AMN-I3 Arminius Model -Elite- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Currently our top-end variant, the -Elite- is an industry-leading heavy combat mech. You can see we've taken the design concepts from our skirmisher and scaled them up. The primary armament is a heavy laser, again with multiple range and scatter profiles, all pilot-selectable from the cockpit. The shoulder mount sees a directable plasma blaster, and the legs carry backup weapons to increase combat endurance. With a vibroblade on one leg and a light pistol on the other, the -Elite- remains combat effective even in high-damage scenarios. To ensure that your -Elite- is of the finest quality, this mech is not available as a kit.

Arminius. Every force needs the ability to adapt to changing battlefield conditions, and no line of mechs gives you a better combination of flexibility and effectiveness, at a fraction of the cost of dedicated chassis. Our color schemes are customizable too! Keep a close eye out for future design releases and weapons options. With your hangars full of Arminius mechs, you'll never be caught unprepared for any situation. Arminius - the most adaptable combat chassis on the market today.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Foo posted:

Introducing the Arminius line! Are you looking for a versatile chassis that can outfit your entire unit, and save you CASH at the same time with a large degree of parts commonality? Well, the Arminius line is for you.

Here we've got the base of the whole concept. The chassis is fast, moderately armored, and generally flexible. While we certainly wouldn't recommend running a base model in a real combat situation, it alone makes a perfect trainer or pilot program mech. You can see the core elements of the design here as well - multiple degrees of freedom in the joints, but well armored as well. "Okay, Mr. Foo," you say, "but we need something that is actually battlefield-capable." Well let me point you to our first option.

AMN-IS Arminius Model -Sierra- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The -Sierra- loadout is a simple add-on package to the base -I5 model. We've swapped one of the shoulder armor pieces for a smartcannon, and armed the mech with a medium scatter laser as well. The rotary magazine allows a high rate of fire, and the choke is customizable on the fly by your pilot, allowing for a wide variety of combat tactics with just a single weapon design. The -Sierra- is also available as an upgrade kit, only requiring your technicians to remove the armor plate at the shoulder and, of course, make the appropriate core-peripheral interfaces. Professional services are available!

AMN-IW Arminius Model -Winchester- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The next variant I'd like to show you is the -Winchester- loadout. For the marksmen in your unit, the -Winchester- features a high-caliber precision rifle. The mech is pictured here with standard anti-materiel saboted KP rounds, but other options are available, including flechette, HE, and HEP ammunition. Other types may be available upon request. The -Winchester- also carries a small close-combat knife for situations in which the enemy has forced your riflemen into melee. This model is also available as an upgrade kit!

AMN-IH Arminius Model -St. Helens- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

If stand-off shooting capability is still too close for comfort, then take a look at our artillery variant. This mech carries ten total tubes in two sizes. Capable of single-handedly saturating a combat zone with fire missions, the -St. Helens- also carries a high-power radio transceiver to receive detailed targeting info from FO units regardless of battlefield conditions. The mech is capable of targeting its own fire missions with the included target designator although using it in this manner does not take full effect of the mech's capabilities. Though your foes may never see it, the -St. Helens- might just be the most terrifying mech on the battlefield with its unmatched ability to pound fortified positions into scrap. This variant is not available as an upgrade kit.

AMN-IK Arminius Model -Kasap- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The -Kasap- is the diametric opposite to the the previous mech. If you want to shred your enemies personally, this is the variant you're looking for. It's been significantly up-armored and fitted with two massive vibroblades. Notably in this design, the hands have been preserved, so additional devices may be installed, although we find they often detract from the primary mission of the -Kasap-, which is to get in close and tear apart armor with efficiency and speed. As well as factory, this variant is also available as a professional refit kit, bridging the gap between our customer-installable upgrade kits and brand new mechs.

AMN-I3 Arminius Model -Elite- (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Currently our top-end variant, the -Elite- is an industry-leading heavy combat mech. You can see we've taken the design concepts from our skirmisher and scaled them up. The primary armament is a heavy laser, again with multiple range and scatter profiles, all pilot-selectable from the cockpit. The shoulder mount sees a directable plasma blaster, and the legs carry backup weapons to increase combat endurance. With a vibroblade on one leg and a light pistol on the other, the -Elite- remains combat effective even in high-damage scenarios. To ensure that your -Elite- is of the finest quality, this mech is not available as a kit.

Arminius. Every force needs the ability to adapt to changing battlefield conditions, and no line of mechs gives you a better combination of flexibility and effectiveness, at a fraction of the cost of dedicated chassis. Our color schemes are customizable too! Keep a close eye out for future design releases and weapons options. With your hangars full of Arminius mechs, you'll never be caught unprepared for any situation. Arminius - the most adaptable combat chassis on the market today.

Not commented on any of your mechs before (though they're all great) but this guy is too cool. Also whatever render you're using is beautiful.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I don't know why, but everytime I see your mechs I think about how funny it would be if you had 4 of them lined up doing the YMCA with their hands haha. Please don't take offense! :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not commented on any of your mechs before (though they're all great) but this guy is too cool. Also whatever render you're using is beautiful.

Thanks! Also, I use POV-Ray to render them after running the .lxf files through LDD2POVRAY. Easy enough process. The base model took about 40 minutes to render and then I went to bed, I'd anticipate the others took about an hour.

Rathina posted:

I don't know why, but everytime I see your mechs I think about how funny it would be if you had 4 of them lined up doing the YMCA with their hands haha. Please don't take offense! :)

I don't know if I've ever built anything with enough shoulder mobility to do that, haha.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oops I lied

AMN-I5 Arminius Model YMCA by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The_Doctor posted:

Ha! That's exactly what it's going to be like. I leave on Thursday. My swag pile so far is:
• MP Soundwave
• Lego Helicarrier
• Springer
• Blitzwing
• Hoist
• Octan Tanker Truck
• 10 x series 8 minifigs

Good I'm not the only one. Last time I came back from the US I had 10 pounds of candy, and lego PAB cups. I think the lifesavers made some detector go off cause they ended up swabbing the suitcase.

And finally found something on clearance here. Picked up a 8070 supercar for 60 euros, and the triceratops dino set for 24 euros. The sets have only been discontinued for a year or so.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I doubt I've commented but I look forward to your mech updates, that's primarily what I attempted to build when I was younger and had a room devoted to LEGO. This however had me laughing like an idiot. Keep up the great work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glad you liked it!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Here's a question, how do those companies print and make their own custom Minifigs? Like is there a way to buy blank Minifigs? What's the process to print them?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I am trying to pick amazing castle/kingdom sets but I've come across 3 different castle sets. There are two very cool village sets though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Knight's Kingdom is old and pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend it. Medieval Market Village is probably the best set on there. If you can find it for a good price you should grab it.

If you want a big castle I think 7946 there is pretty solid. I haven't bought any of the new Castle line (70404) myself. They seem almost identical to most of the sets from the last Kingdoms' line but with different colors.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
There's also the Kingdoms Joust set, which is still available. Not quite as cohesive a set as the medieval market village, but is still another 12+ set so has more advanced building techniques than the others.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Hey Lego shop, thanks for replacing a lovely space miniset VIP freebie with a miniature VW Camper the month after the Delorean comes out and the month before the new Winter Village set comes out :argh:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hey Lego shop, thanks for replacing a lovely space miniset VIP freebie with a miniature VW Camper the month after the Delorean comes out and the month before the new Winter Village set comes out :argh:

Awesome! Now I'm glad I held off until this month.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey Foo, I tried installing LDD2POVRay - is that ELDOS "Callback File System" thing legit or safe? That step in the installation gave me some serious pause.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

You might look on ebay in a few weeks, it might end up being a bit higher price, but the hot dog cart from a few months ago was selling between $5-10 on ebay, way cheaper than spending $75.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I buy the $179 R2-D2, do I get the Volkswagen *and* the trooper mini fig bonus? Or do I just get the Volkswagen?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So there's this thing called lugbulk,

It took 5 hours and 30 people to sort all of this into each person's orders, and we did a draft at the end for any extra pieces. I'm looking forward to actually getting an order next time!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Three-Phase posted:

Hey Foo, I tried installing LDD2POVRay - is that ELDOS "Callback File System" thing legit or safe? That step in the installation gave me some serious pause.

It's legit. I have no idea why the hooks are written like that, but they are. I've noticed nothing malicious, and I've never heard of anyone complaining that it was doing something it shouldn't be.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you don't want the mini camper I'll take it off your hands, PM me.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Three-Phase posted:

Yep, it's legit! the way they hook into everything is a bit weird and has to do with LEGO not being to cool with them completely ripping the models out of LDD itself.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you don't want the mini camper I'll take it off your hands, PM me.

I think he's saying that he would have liked the camper, but they introduced it during a month he wasn't planning on making purchases.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AzMiLion posted:

Yep, it's legit! the way they hook into everything is a bit weird and has to do with LEGO not being to cool with them completely ripping the models out of LDD itself.

That kinda makes sense. In other news, I've got another product line I'm working on :getin:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

InfinEight posted:

So there's this thing called lugbulk,

It took 5 hours and 30 people to sort all of this into each person's orders, and we did a draft at the end for any extra pieces. I'm looking forward to actually getting an order next time!

I want the technic frames!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

AzMiLion posted:

Captain Foo posted:

That kinda makes sense. In other news, I've got another product line I'm working on :getin:

Huh, I'll have to try it. I was able to import a LDD file into some other lego program that was able to export a 3DS file, but only with some of the bricks. The other issue was that the LOD was WAY too high.

I've been using Art of Illusion, it's free and more graphically oriented than POV-Ray.

Ika posted:

I want the technic frames!

I want to fill a swimming pool with them so I can swim... wait that would hurt like hell.

I've got to phone the people who make the "Saw" movies...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

I want to fill a swimming pool with them so I can swim... wait that would hurt like hell.

I've got to phone the people who make the "Saw" movies...

Dump ten thousand bricks into one of those freefall simulators.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Worthwhile trip to the Lego store today. Picked up 8 series 11 minifigures and not a double in the bunch. But the best part was they had a bunch of bricks I need for a project on the pick-a-brick wall so filled a small container full of 1x3, 1x2 and 1x1s blocks.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Hittin' the Lego Store in Vancouver in a couple days with a budget of about $50, anything exclusive to the stores worth checking out in that price range, or should I stick to pick a brick and minifigs? I've never been to a Lego store.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I've really enjoyed watching your mini mechs progress over the course of this thread and it makes me wish Lego would petition you to make an entire line for store shelves. So that I would have even less money than I do now.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
So after working today and messing around with the EV3 I have to say, I'm in love with it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FreyaXI posted:

So after working today and messing around with the EV3 I have to say, I'm in love with it.

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot we showed off our store demo today. We're using the snake model that lashes out at anything that comes within a few inches of its rangefinder sensor. It's pretty neat, though I didn't like the look of the IDE used to program it. I like to write lines of code, rather than use flowchart/symbolic stuff.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011

Neurion posted:

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot we showed off our store demo today. We're using the snake model that lashes out at anything that comes within a few inches of its rangefinder sensor. It's pretty neat, though I didn't like the look of the IDE used to program it. I like to write lines of code, rather than use flowchart/symbolic stuff.

Yeah I feel kinda the same way. Though I can't code for crap and never really learned how. Granted I don't know how to use the flow thing either but I would love to actually get into it and do some crazy stuff but alas I'm a netizen baddie.

Edit: Though it helps that a mother came into our store and asked me if I could put it to move and chase her son abit. i've never seen a kid laugh so hysterical and have the time of his life. I felt my job at Lego was 100% worth it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FreyaXI posted:

Yeah I feel kinda the same way. Though I can't code for crap and never really learned how. Granted I don't know how to use the flow thing either but I would love to actually get into it and do some crazy stuff but alas I'm a netizen baddie.

Edit: Though it helps that a mother came into our store and asked me if I could put it to move and chase her son abit. i've never seen a kid laugh so hysterical and have the time of his life. I felt my job at Lego was 100% worth it today.

Whoa, hang on, you're from Taxachusetts and you work at LBR, too? Mind if I ask which store?