Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We just got done with a system rollout at a hospital which included tons of thin clients on wheels.

The motherfuckers are breaking left and right. We finally managed to get one set of systems handled and the other system that was doing ok decides to just poo poo the bed. Nobody even knows what to do about it. Network team is going to blame the vendor and the vendor is going to blame the network team and everybody is going to blame desktop support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skooma512 posted:

We just got done with a system rollout at a hospital which included tons of thin clients on wheels.

The motherfuckers are breaking left and right. We finally managed to get one set of systems handled and the other system that was doing ok decides to just poo poo the bed. Nobody even knows what to do about it. Network team is going to blame the vendor and the vendor is going to blame the network team and everybody is going to blame desktop support.

Is it the thin clients breaking, the network connection or what? I support terrible terrible terrible thin-client networks, avoid linux technology crap that comes from japan (we used LT210s), those things have capacitor issues that we didn't find out about till deploying 10K+ maybe 20k+. We have changed to HP model ones that seem to work better so far.

citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf

captkirk posted:

10 GB C:\ drive? Gear dog, why?

It's been fun training up two new guys. One I'm not sure if he's just browsing a lot of reddit or if he is just awful. He spent 2-3 days on a script to go through a collection of X509 certs and see if any of them are expiring. One of the days, it started with me saying "Hey, you should use Crypt::X509, check out the docs". Halfway through I asked him if he was having any troubles and he hadn't even managed to figure out how to get the library to load a cert so I had to spend 15 minutes whipping up a demo of how to read a file, strip the first and last lines, base64 decode and then pass the result into Crypt:X509's constructor.

He spent the rest of the day and the next day working on the script, which I still haven't seen.

The syntax of the command probably isn't perfect, this is OTOH. 2592000 = 60 * 60 * 24 * 30 (seconds in a month). The returncode is 0 for not expiring, 1 for expiring. Or you can parse the output. It took me about 15 minutes to do this at work yesterday, in python (somebody showed me the openssl command).
openssl x509 -in file.cer -noout -text -checkend 2592000
echo $?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A user lost her laptop. We replaced it.
Then she lost her phone. We replaced it.
Then she found her old phone, but it didn't work. It had been in her freezer for several weeks.
When she returned her old phone to us, she returned the replacement too because it didn't work either. It had been in her oven.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Did she offer any explanation?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

guppy posted:

Yes. Ghosts.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

guppy posted:

More importantly, who is she sleeping with that she's still getting replacements?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

At this point I am too jaded to assume this was a joke.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

guppy posted:

While sorting out a new phone for her she said she was getting an exorcist in. She wasn't smiling when she said it.
I think she was joking but too embarrassed to find it funny, but my co-worker is convinced she was sincere and is insane.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 1, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bitterandtwisted posted:

While sorting out a new phone for her she said she was getting an exorcist in. She wasn't smiling when she said it.
I think she was joking but too embarrassed to find it funny, but my co-worker is convinced she was sincere and is insane.

I would assume that she was serious.

In any event, you should start charging her department for any future "incidents"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bitterandtwisted posted:

My favorite incident I had was a customer who gave in a laptop that was torn in four pieces, motherboard split in half, not a single key on the keyboard not ripped off. The heat sink was bent in a way that I have yet to figure out how it's possible.

When I asked her what happened she just said "My baby got it". I still wonder if her baby was a pet bear.

I really wish I got pictures of it, I don't think I could have inflicted that kind of damage if I tried. I've seen computers ran over by cars and dropped off of fourth story buildings with less damage.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

citywok posted:

The syntax of the command probably isn't perfect, this is OTOH. 2592000 = 60 * 60 * 24 * 30 (seconds in a month). The returncode is 0 for not expiring, 1 for expiring. Or you can parse the output. It took me about 15 minutes to do this at work yesterday, in python (somebody showed me the openssl command).
openssl x509 -in file.cer -noout -text -checkend 2592000
echo $?

Yeah, I know it can be done pretty simply as a simple bash script, but after three or so days of him debugging the old bash script that did this I figured he might have better luck just rewriting the script in Perl.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Since we've been incredibly busy lately, we had a contractor come in and run some cat-5 to network up a lab of ours. When he was done, only about a quarter of the computers could connect to the network. Long story short, he crimped all the ends like so:
Orange, orange white, blue, brown white, brown, blue white, green, green white.
I think it took us longer to re-crimp all the cable to pattern B than it would have to just do it right the first time.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I have a story on the other side of the fence with my IT guy.

I recently got hired at my first corporate job ever, about a 500 - 700 person company. When I got hired I got a self help IT packet of how to do everything the system requires to set it all up for ourselves. It was absolutely gorgeous, including screen caps of step by step how to set up the company email, your phone, voicemail, your computer, the information management system we use, everything. It was so comprehensive and so well done that I was really impressed.

So I get to my desk with all the hardware and go through the manual, setting it all up in about 2 hours. Everything works perfectly together and I am floored.

I then went to lunch and when I came back I met the IT guy as he was walking in. I thanked him for providing the packet and he kind of ignored it, which was fine. It is a three person IT department that he runs (including himself) with a workforce that spends all their time on the computer.

We get to my desk and he asks what happened. I told him "Well the HR worker gave me the packet you made and I set it up like it says."

So now I'm freaking out thinking I just pissed off the IT guy and did something wrong. He tests out all the various systems intently, and the moment he's done he laughs and says "You just gave me a two hour lunch". I was kind of confused at this point, and he then went on to tell me that in the 7 years he has worked with this company, not one person has used that packet to set up their station. They are all given it, but when they're told the IT guy will be by later to check it out, they don't even try to follow the screen capped guide literally showing you EXACTLY what to do.

The IT guy and I have been awesome friends since, and I now show people how to actually write tickets because so many refused to do anything but call him.

God bless America.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Helushune posted:

Long story short, he crimped all the ends like so:

Huh. Not that that was at all the right thing to do, but it should theoretically have worked, unless you have some crappy cat-5 stock that skimps on the blue and brown pairs. Hell, I've seen some cables that just go straight down whatever color order the guy making them had in his head, without splitting one pair, and they still worked.

vvv

There you go. He probably nicked the inner cables while stripping the jacket off.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 1, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

Huh. Not that that was at all the right thing to do, but it should theoretically have worked, unless you have some crappy cat-5 stock that skimps on the blue and brown pairs. Hell, I've seen some cables that just go straight down whatever color order the guy making them had in his head, without splitting one pair, and they still worked.

I didn't check every cable the ones I did check that weren't working had that weird pattern. When we reset them to pattern b everything was working fine again. I guess it's probable that something else was going on like he accidentally cut in to the cable before the head. He was also using his cat-5 stock instead of ours so your theory might also be correct.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Helushune posted:

Since we've been incredibly busy lately, we had a contractor come in and run some cat-5 to network up a lab of ours. When he was done, only about a quarter of the computers could connect to the network. Long story short, he crimped all the ends like so:
I think it took us longer to re-crimp all the cable to pattern B than it would have to just do it right the first time.

Can I ask why you use hand made cables? They usually are inferior at the ends compared to mass produced ones, and they usually run far more expensive.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Can I ask why you use hand made cables? They usually are inferior at the ends compared to mass produced ones, and they usually run far more expensive.

We get 1000ft spools for ~$30 (bulk cat-5e) and can cut everything to length for the job at hand. I'll give you the inferior bit but we're a small-ish non-profit who's still mostly stuck in 10/100 (although we've been moving things to gigabit). It just makes sense for us to make our own cable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Helushune posted:

We get 1000ft spools for ~$30 (bulk cat-5e) and can cut everything to length for the job at hand. I'll give you the inferior bit but we're a small-ish non-profit who's still mostly stuck in 10/100 (although we've been moving things to gigabit). It just makes sense for us to make our own cable.

It never equals out to being less expensive. Unless you are working for free or have nothing better to do.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

At this point, I'd ask about prescription sleep medication that has sleepwalking side effects. And no, that's not humorous either.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Why are there still a million different lovely video players for embedded video?

Embedded video is a solved problem guys, you don't need to write your own piece of crap player that can't buffer the video, or won't let you skip, or which shits itself if you leave it paused for too long.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

It never equals out to being less expensive. Unless you are working for free or have nothing better to do.

I've decided to compromise and allow the two exarmy guys I work with make cables for workstations (because I can then blame them and the cabling for issues), but their cables are sure as gently caress not touching my servers, sans, and switches.

It also helps to be next to be one county over from monoprice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We cut all our own cables for everything, servers included, because 1) we have cheap student labor to do it and 2) we're pretty stupid.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
We make any cable over 20m ourselves, but that's mostly because we already have the in-house tools and skills to do it, and we're making our own power, Coax and SLR cables too. Anything less than 20m get's a pre-made cable because they are just plain cheaper.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I only ever make ethernet cables for long semipermanent runs, where I can't quite justify installing a plate, but the actual odds of moving that cable are close to nil.

Power and coax are made far more often, because it gives me a way to pad my labor budget.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Sickening posted:

That's many non profits. If you are in one that isn't a huge earner its often assumed you bring your own computer and work a ton of unpaid overtime.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Do most people actually use pre-made ethernet cables when wiring up your racks?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

captkirk posted:

Exclusively. I can't be arsed to make 100 cables when I can order them from a vendor

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FISHMANPET posted:

cheap student labor

Every summer working for college IT. Making cable or tearing apart blister packages. Better use of our $9.24/hr than us playing Civ4 for 8 hours.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

captkirk posted:

Of course.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

captkirk posted:

The cost and reliability is just too attractive. Wiring poo poo is pain in the rear end enough.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

captkirk posted:

Wait. I am inferring here that you stand at the rack making at least a couple of dozen cables every time you wire up a new rack.

WHY.

I understand manually finishing long runs, because you're probably running it through walls or something, and you probably need a length more specific than you can buy easily, but between 1 and 10 feet, why the gently caress not use pre-made?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Here's a question re. cable talk.

Our network guy believes that the minimum run between two active devices on a network should be 1 metre. Meaning 50cm cables between switches in racks are a no-no. This doesn't bother me and I don't doubt the sincerity of his belief however haven't actually found a source for this information.

Does anyone here know if this is actually true?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

frogbert posted:

Our network guy believes that the minimum run between two active devices on a network should be 1 metre. Meaning 50cm cables between switches in racks are a no-no. This doesn't bother me and I don't doubt the sincerity of his belief however haven't actually found a source for this information.

There is absolutely no reason to do this, other than the fact that making your cables a full meter long means you've given yourself extra room to reroute your patch cables if for some reason you need to do it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

guppy posted:

Does she have a toddler? Toddlers love to put things in other things.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

frogbert posted:

The IEEE spec for it is indeed a minimum length of 1 meter. In practice, though, it really doesn't matter excepting certain old hardware that may have too high of a tx power with not enough impedance due to a too short of a cable - what'll happen is you have major crosstalk issues and lovely performance.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

cstine posted:

The IEEE spec for it is indeed a minimum length of 1 meter. In practice, though, it really doesn't matter excepting certain old hardware that may have too high of a tx power with not enough impedance due to a too short of a cable - what'll happen is you have major crosstalk issues and lovely performance.

I am not sure what is more supprising, that it is in the IEEE spec, or that someone read an IEEE spec.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait. I am inferring here that you stand at the rack making at least a couple of dozen cables every time you wire up a new rack.

WHY.

I understand manually finishing long runs, because you're probably running it through walls or something, and you probably need a length more specific than you can buy easily, but between 1 and 10 feet, why the gently caress not use pre-made?

For racks, I prefer hand made when possible to keep things clean. When you need a 4 foot run of cable it's nice to be able to have just a 4 foot run of cable. It's a, most likely irrational, response to the truly horrifying cable jobs I've seen using pre-mades (granted, I've seen even worse with hand made cables, but those were cases of someone just grabbing a cable laying around that had already been made).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

captkirk posted:

For racks, I prefer hand made when possible to keep things clean. When you need a 4 foot run of cable it's nice to be able to have just a 4 foot run of cable. It's a, most likely irrational, response to the truly horrifying cable jobs I've seen using pre-mades (granted, I've seen even worse with hand made cables, but those were cases of someone just grabbing a cable laying around that had already been made).

My favorite cable is in a class room where the computer is next to the jack with the clip broken on both ends. The cable is (was) over 300 feet long. I replaced it with a 7 foot cable I had in a bag. I swear the last team was the worst people at IT ever. Who the gently caress makes a cable that long and has it on them over a 7 foot cable?

I've mentioned it pretty much every time I posted my boss got her position and cleaned house because they were horrible 6 months ago, I'm cleaning up a really big mess and getting some pretty good experience. At least its considered acceptable to blame the previous team for things taking awhile or things being down. She loves to hear about the horrible poo poo we find.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NZAmoeba posted:

Does she have a toddler? Toddlers love to put things in other things.

If the toddler is putting things into the oven there is a larger problem.

• Locked thread