Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Heeee they're adorable :3:

Definitely going to look at getting one from a shelter when I move into my own place next month, assuming Juppo approves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You need to learn to share better.

Mr Confetti posted:

You're a heartless monster.

I share all the time! Just some days I want my own salad, damnit!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lobsterboy posted:

I share all the time! Just some days I want my own salad, damnit!

Nothing you have is yours. It's just their stuff you refuse to give to them.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nothing you have is yours. It's just their stuff you refuse to give to them.

For real. I came home with some carrier bags today and Juppo raced up to the top of her cage to greet me, realised I had nothing to give her, and stomped off again.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anybody got a good simple way for me to trim Harriet's claws without getting heavy lacerations?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't think there's a such thing as simple. To some extent I think they just have to get used to it. I'm as gentle as I can be with Gordon but if I'm firm, she does alright. The best way to pick her up is stand with her between my feet facing the same direction as her. She'll be a loaf and then I get a hand under her butt and one under her ribs and keep her a little curled like a little furry football and hold her right to my chest. I keep her bundled until I sit down and then rotate her onto her back on my lap. At that point, it's just a matter of keeping her calm while I clip. I'm firm with her, but if she's too stressed I'll let her go so I don't make it worse. I found as I got more confident about it, she seemed to do better too.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

NancyPants posted:

I don't think there's a such thing as simple.

We take Cilantro to the vet every 2 or 3 months for her 'pedicures' and let the vet techs deal with it. It's worth the $14.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anybody got a good simple way for me to trim Harriet's claws without getting heavy lacerations?

Snoopy and Peanut are alright, but we've never been able to get them to be happy on their backs. For us it's a two person job: bunny in lap facing forward, hold on to bunny and pet nicely, use hand to lift front of bunny up a little, other person grabs paw and clips. For the back feet I hold the bunny kind of upright against my chest.

They don't squirm too much anymore thankfully.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Prawned posted:

Snoopy and Peanut are alright, but we've never been able to get them to be happy on their backs. For us it's a two person job: bunny in lap facing forward, hold on to bunny and pet nicely, use hand to lift front of bunny up a little, other person grabs paw and clips. For the back feet I hold the bunny kind of upright against my chest.

They don't squirm too much anymore thankfully.

This is how we do. The wife holds the rabbit to her chest and cups their butt feet outward. They kick sometimes when they get mad and if it gets too bad they get a break, but its a 2 minute process per bunny. But holding them like that they dont have any place to gouge you since their feet are away from you and if they go for the hand around their chests you can drop the butt cupping hand a bit to keep them from getting to it. Just be sure to support them and not them them kick wildly as they can hurt themselves because bunny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You can also try putting a towel in your lap when you do the above. Quick clean up for pee or to use as a bunny burrito wrapping if they don't want to play along.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience bringing bunnies on planes? I just found out my stepmother has been breeding these adorable Holland Lops and Blue Eyed Whites:

How could I not want one? She's coming to visit me in Hong Kong soon and she offered to breed me one. But I think if anything is like 100% guaranteed to kill a rabbit, it's a 16-hour trans-Pacific flight.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
The House Rabbit Society has published some articles about taking rabits onto an airplane.

A list of airlines that (at the time, at least) allow passengers to bring rabbits into the cabin.

An author's personal experience flying with rabbits.

It's definitely seems like something you can do, it just requires a lot of planning.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Anyone have any experience bringing bunnies on planes? I just found out my stepmother has been breeding these adorable Holland Lops and Blue Eyed Whites:

How could I not want one? She's coming to visit me in Hong Kong soon and she offered to breed me one. But I think if anything is like 100% guaranteed to kill a rabbit, it's a 16-hour trans-Pacific flight.

AAAHHH GOD BUNNY I WANT ONE.

Also:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
An important message from a Flemmie:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My efforts to keep Chompsky from going under my couch are futile. If I leave the room for a minute, she's digging away, and picking up objects with her mouth and throwing them aside.

Once she's underneath, she'll poke her head out like she is taunting me.

I definitely feel like she's warming up to me, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

monsieur fatso posted:

My efforts to keep Chompsky from going under my couch are futile. If I leave the room for a minute, she's digging away, and picking up objects with her mouth and throwing them aside.

She is taunting you. Her new goal in life is to make you miserable. Welcome to rabbit ownership.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

monsieur fatso posted:

Don't worry, bunny will gladly teach you that any half hearted attempts to rabbitproof are destined for failure. For a couch I'd recommend something solid and impossible for a bun to move. Even then you may need something on the floor at the base of that to dissuade attempts at digging.

Providing something else that could be a bunnyfort instead of the couch is another way to remove some of the appeal. I like to combine 1-3 heavy duty moving boxes with at least one tunnel (http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-8-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470075/100321209#.Uhvf0D_pyrd) to give them something that can be a secure hideout and provide entertainment. These setups will last a couple of months with mine before the boxes have lost all structural integrity thanks to bunny renovations, the tunnels are super dense cardboard so they tend to last a lot longer.

The337th fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 27, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I had brought home a few large boxes last week and cut holes in them and set them up for Chompsky to play in. She sniffed around them but mostly just ignored them. Today, though, I rotated them around a bit and she's been hanging out inside, poking her head out from time to time. I can tell she likes it though.

I'm going to look into getting something large/solid to put under my couches.

Edit: almost as soon as I posted that she ran out and started digging at my barrier and chewing on table legs. Cute little devil.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 27, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I think something is wrong with Harriet. She has not once chewed on furniture or wires. But give her some cardboard, and she'll go to town on it....

Also, for some reason, she likes stealing my remote, and my wallet!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think something is wrong with Harriet. She has not once chewed on furniture or wires. But give her some cardboard, and she'll go to town on it....

Also, for some reason, she likes stealing my remote, and my wallet!

haha the remote. Sascha once bit every button off the remote and left the little pieces next to it.

It made it hard to use with recessed buttons instead of ones that stuck out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

haha the remote. Sascha once bit every button off the remote and left the little pieces next to it.

It made it hard to use with recessed buttons instead of ones that stuck out.

My Dutch chewed off all the buttons for our satellite remote. The problem? All the labels were on the buttons.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

grack posted:

My Dutch chewed off all the buttons for our satellite remote. The problem? All the labels were on the buttons.

Mine was Directv, so it was the same, it made for some fun times figuring out what was what.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I enjoy reading all the chewing stories since my bunny can't do that. :3:

Edit: However, her teeth did all their damage to my bank account.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

My Ellie was terrible for chewing on everything when she was younger. Skirting boards, furniture, anything that was on the floor. Chasing her away from stuff and giving her a bunch of wooden toys seems to have fixed it for the most part.

She is still the surliest animal i have ever encountered/owned though, i'm a guest in her house as far as she's concerned. Apparently some lionheads can be like that, especially females.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

My Ellie was terrible for chewing on everything when she was younger. Skirting boards, furniture, anything that was on the floor. Chasing her away from stuff and giving her a bunch of wooden toys seems to have fixed it for the most part.

She is still the surliest animal i have ever encountered/owned though, i'm a guest in her house as far as she's concerned. Apparently some lionheads can be like that, especially females.

The cat like arrogance does sound like Harriet sometimes.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I'm going on holidays next Friday for a week, and I'm leaving Mr and Mrs Bun into boarding for the week. I'm sure Mrs Bun will be okay, she's stayed there before after being neutered, but Mr Bun doesn't like people touching him at all, and tends to panic. I hope they'll be okay :/

Has anyone put their buns into boarding before? How were they when you got them back?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Bunny folk, one of my buns has been sneezing quite a bit (more than 1-2x in a row) but otherwise seems ok. Her sister is not sneezing at all. Nose is dry, no discharge from nose or eyes, and it's usually after I give her some fresh hay. Is this a dust issue? Something scarier? (I'm allergic to dust myself and usually start sneezing around the same hay morsels as my bun, so I might be reading a false positive.)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

It's almost certainly the hay I would say. Sometimes you get a bag/box that is way dustier than normal.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
With my family away, I'm babysitting Penny for the next month. My place isn't as nice as home, but there are some upsides to her being here. At home, she lives in a basement office with no windows. It's nice, but it doesn't get much traffic. Here, she's right next to the desk where I (regrettably) spend lots of time, so she'll have lots of attention and company. She's sought out more human attention since we lost George.

The downside is that my place isn't carpeted. I've pushed three rugs together to create a space she can run around in, but it's isn't much.

She seems to be settling in well so far. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Pretty sure my rabbit is the poster girl for the It's A Rabbit .jpg

Every morning we go to get her out of her hutch and oh my goodness she digs into the floor with an intensity I would never have imagined a rabbit that small could have. She stomps and honks and bites into the bars. The only person she'll happily oblige is my Dad, and he's rarely here.

And of course as soon as she gets into her run she's binkying round and eating all the grass and sitting on top of her igloo like 'wut'. I can't wait to get her to my new place so she can have the run of the garden. It's a small courtyard but I'm gonna have the gravel taken up and replaced with turf because the whole thing is enclosed with like seven foot walls. Wish it was an option here but our garden is open plan and backs onto an abandoned fish farm/occasional apiary and massive forest where there are horrible predatory birds and loving minks, of all things.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

happyflurple posted:

Pretty sure my rabbit is the poster girl for the It's A Rabbit .jpg

Every morning we go to get her out of her hutch and oh my goodness she digs into the floor with an intensity I would never have imagined a rabbit that small could have. She stomps and honks and bites into the bars. The only person she'll happily oblige is my Dad, and he's rarely here.

And of course as soon as she gets into her run she's binkying round and eating all the grass and sitting on top of her igloo like 'wut'. I can't wait to get her to my new place so she can have the run of the garden. It's a small courtyard but I'm gonna have the gravel taken up and replaced with turf because the whole thing is enclosed with like seven foot walls. Wish it was an option here but our garden is open plan and backs onto an abandoned fish farm/occasional apiary and massive forest where there are horrible predatory birds and loving minks, of all things.

Requesting picture of said igloo-sitting. For science.

I was up until 2 last night sitting with Cilantro. She's been slow to eat these last few days, which has us worried but she's still eating and pooping. She ignored her dinner last night, so I cleaned her litter box, gave her simethicone and reglan, and left her a plate of greens before going to bed way later than I should. When I got up for work at 7, she'd cleaned her plate and pooped but only ate half of her breakfast. Hooray? :smith:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky seems to hate all veggies. I've tried different types of hay, different types of lettuce/veggies. She only wants to eat her dry pellet food, which has dried veggies and berries in it. I go through it and pick out the majority of those, and leave mostly the Timothy hay pellets. I've cut down the amount of those I give her, in the hopes she eats more hay.

Even when I do give her her dry food, she digs through and eats the dry berry things first. I've been covering them with romaine lettuce to try to get her to eat through it, but she just throws everything aside to get to her dry food.

I got her to eat a little bit of meadow hay last night. I would lay on the floor and push a bit of it into her face. At first she would grab it with her mouth and try to throw it aside ( I kept holding it so she couldn't). Then eventually she would chew on it and eat it, but it wasn't much. I tried the same thing with lettuce, but she ripped it out of my hand and spit it out. She kept sitting next to me through all of this, so I don't think she's mad at me. Just being a fussy rabbit.

She'll also reluctantly eat carrots, but she doesn't seem to love them. I don't give them to her often, and when I do, she usually won't touch it all day.

Should I just not give her any of her pellet/dry food for a day or two? I want her to start eating more hay and veggies, but I don't want her to starve and hate me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yes, remove her pellets and give her hay and once a day drop in fresh veggies. They will eat when they are hungry which is basically all the drat time.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

I was up until 2 last night sitting with Cilantro. She's been slow to eat these last few days, which has us worried but she's still eating and pooping. She ignored her dinner last night, so I cleaned her litter box, gave her simethicone and reglan, and left her a plate of greens before going to bed way later than I should. When I got up for work at 7, she'd cleaned her plate and pooped but only ate half of her breakfast. Hooray? :smith:

She polished off her breakfast, enthusiastically ate lunch and dinner. Currently eating hay in her litter box. What a stinker :allears:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 5, 2013

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

monsieur fatso posted:

Should I just not give her any of her pellet/dry food for a day or two? I want her to start eating more hay and veggies, but I don't want her to starve and hate me.

I might have already shared this, but my rabbits refused probably 3/4 of types of veggies I'd give them until I stopped regularly giving pellets and started using them exclusively as a treat. They were decent about eating hay, but they've probably doubled on what they eat since then.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
How long did that take? I just put her in her cage for the night, and I could tell she was pretty upset with the lack of what she considers food for the day. She kept hopping around and poking her nose in things like maybe some pellets would be hidden somewhere, before looking out at me with the saddest look on her face, making me feel like the worlds biggest jerk. She has a full cup of lettuce and a ton of hay in her cage and litter box.

comets!
Nov 25, 2004

BRICK DAVIS
Does anyone know of any good documentaries about wild rabbit life?

My boyfriend just said to me "Wait... rabbits live underground?" Of course I scoffed and told him about warrens and stuff (ok I shouldn't scoff considering most of my knowledge came from Watership Down). I thought it would be really cool to show him a video of how wild rabbits live, but apparently the last rabbit documentary was made in 1945. According to YouTube anyway.

I'd appreciate it if someone knows of a good one. I'm amazed I can't find one. I've seen documentaries where they stick a video camera down a termite mound but no rabbit warrens?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

comets! posted:

My boyfriend just said to me "Wait... rabbits live underground?" Of course I scoffed and told him about warrens and stuff (ok I shouldn't scoff considering most of my knowledge came from Watership Down). I thought it would be really cool to show him a video of how wild rabbits live, but apparently the last rabbit documentary was made in 1945. According to YouTube anyway.

I'd appreciate it if someone knows of a good one. I'm amazed I can't find one. I've seen documentaries where they stick a video camera down a termite mound but no rabbit warrens?

It's not wild rabbits but I didn't know this existed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXWOcuPcH0

Now I must find it!

Manmade rabbit warren clip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Rabbit#p01f0nd4

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 5, 2013

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

comets! posted:

Watership Down referenced The Private Life of the Rabbit and many many years ago I tracked it down and read it. It was quite interesting, although all of the observations were also on captive wild rabbits living in man-made warrens. If you can score a copy through old-fashioned interlibrary loan it may be worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

monsieur fatso posted:

She has a full cup of lettuce and a ton of hay in her cage and litter box.

Try some other kinds of veg? Lettuce was never a winner with my buns. Dill, carrot tops, cilantro, bok choy?