Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

CaseFace McGee posted:

I wish I had gotten into PC racing early enough to get into the pCARS beta... it looks like a great change of pace from rFactor 2 and Race07.

Have you put any time into Live For Speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Ziploc posted:

Have you put any time into Live For Speed?

Not yet. Isn't that essentially Race07?

I can't wait to get my wheel to my new place - the new dev-endorsed rF2 community track looks like a lot of fun.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

CaseFace McGee posted:

Not yet. Isn't that essentially Race07?

I can't wait to get my wheel to my new place - the new dev-endorsed rF2 community track looks like a lot of fun.
No, LFS came out before Race07 and has probably the best tire modeling in any game before or since. It is also kind of dead because it hasn't been updated in years but it's still a terrific sim.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Joining an LFS server doesn't require any modding or manual downloads, which means that you can still pretty easily find some small pick-up races. If you can play during Europe evening/night hours, you'll generally find one or two full racing servers.

I find the game fun enough that I'll just hop on cruise servers and zip around in a Raceabout or LX6 or run hotlaps. It's a very unique-feeling sim.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The object placer is pretty fun too. :getin:

I miss stunt servers that had the most ridiculous layouts and full field races. Coming up with a setup that survived 3 laps of high speed jumps and still be somewhat controllable was loving FUN.

EDIT:

I so miss this retarded poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2riOHhnmbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ICpRggZKRt4#t=45

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 21, 2013

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Does anyone into Project CARS have any favorites cars right now? I just discovered the Zakspeed Capri and holy crow this is the best feeling car in the entire game in terms of FFB. I could actually push it around Bathurst without totally loving it up unlike the E30 M3 which has always been ridiculously broken.

I tried the Mercedes 190E they added recently which seems like it should drive close to the E30 but oddly it's actually drivable and doesn't spin at random, so I don't know what the deal is with the M3. It could just be the Mercedes hood ornament, when I drive the car it feels like I have a little crosshair on the hood to help aim my race car down the track :3:

The open wheel track cars like the Atoms and Radicals have been really fun to drive as well.

I also experimented with the Super Karts now that they turn again. I'm not sure how fast these things can go in real life, but they feel absurdly fast in the game, like a toy Formula 1 car or something. The banked turn sections on the Nurburgring were an AI bloodbath with a full grid

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 27, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They added the 190E? I might have to try that out this weekend. My favorites so far are the Formula C, Formula Gulf, Lotus 78, Lotus 98T and the Zakspeed Capri. Both the modern M3s are pretty good too. That atoms are fun, but I don't drive them much as I prefer the formula cars. I'm not to hot on most of the actual cars. The E30 just looks weird and I don't like the way it drives. A lot of the cars (at least when I drove them) felt like they had no grip for how slow they were going.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

The E30 is in the middle of physics muckery in the latest builds so hopefully it becomes actually drivable sometime in the future.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do any of you play Project Cars with a controller? How do you like it?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Do any of you play Project Cars with a controller? How do you like it?

It's bad, if you ask me. It feels like the steering doesn't react to my input as fast as it should, on the 360 Controller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

It's bad, if you ask me. It feels like the steering doesn't react to my input as fast as it should, on the 360 Controller.

That's disappointing. :( I can't attach my wheel to the desk I have and I can't just go out and buy a new one because the desk is provided (I live in a furnished college apartment).

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Haha, I sent my CSR Elite back for repairs due to a faulty codewheel sensor, and it's been damaged in shipping. The rim is bent and the Y button doesn't work. :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to Assetto Corsa? I noticed it's still not out yet and it was suppose to have been out months ago. Does it at least sound like the game is getting close to being done?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They made a blog update about the Exige S on the 23rd. And it still says the game will be out in Fall 2013 which starts in 21 days.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They'll probably delay it yet again.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Whilst I've been waiting for my replacement CSR Elite to show up, I've been driving the BMW Z4 GT3 around in pCARS. That is one hell of a fun car to drive.

Also, thinking about ordering the CSR Elite formula rim.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ISI just released the Howston G4 and G6, which are based on the Lola T70. They're a helluva lot of fun to drive around - the back end is very playful. My first few laps in, I flirted with the wall just a bit. Bonus points if someone can figure out what I was listening to when I recorded the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzUCKWNTyQ

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
I know this is a PC thread, but since many of you guys also play Xbox I thought I'd ask here.

Is it worth picking up an Xbox 360 on the cheap now just to play the Forza series? (My favoorite racer is probably the original Dirt.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Forza is good but the community is slowing down. It'll go down even more when Forza 5 comes out. The people still playing Forza 4 now are the people who are dedicated enough to most likely buy an xbone and get 5. It's still worth getting 4 if it's cheap because it's a great game. Just keep in mind that a lot of the multiplayer will be mostly empty or will be filled with cliques who will kick you without giving you a chance. I know I almost got kicked out of a nascar lobby but only was allowed to stay because I had a livery.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Has the goon consensus on there being no PC sim that's really worth it yet changed in the last 5 months? I'm really itching to use my 360 gamepad for something fun but nothing has come out.

I'm talking besides closed betas. Seems like development (for PC) is kind of dead except for Project Cars, which is a drat shame.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 27, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do you mean by no PC sim worth it? Like something new being released? There's plenty of good PC sims.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's a lot of good PC sims but I feel like the genre is badly in need of new blood and has been for the last 2 years. There's a couple good ones coming out, but holy poo poo they are taking forever.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

ISI just released the Howston G4 and G6, which are based on the Lola T70. They're a helluva lot of fun to drive around - the back end is very playful. My first few laps in, I flirted with the wall just a bit. Bonus points if someone can figure out what I was listening to when I recorded the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzUCKWNTyQ

G6 on Longford '67 is fantastic. Trying to stop for the slow turns (re: all of them) is really tricky. You can actually power out of corners in these cars, especially the 1969 version with the extra wide tires.

Quite happy with where RF2 is heading; build 300 gave me some great performance boosts, BTCC Honda on the way, IMS/DW12/Reynard etc etc. There are still things that need addressing from the very first beta build, but it's moving along.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

There's plenty of good PC sims, what there isn't is anything even a little bit like Forza or Gran Turismo in terms of car collection and game progression.

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010
Closest I can think of is GT Legends, which is still supported to this day and continues to have a fanbase. Or was a year or so ago.

To get a win7 compatable download for free all I had to do was email the publishers a pic of my original disk and box :)

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Dudley posted:

There's plenty of good PC sims, what there isn't is anything even a little bit like Forza or Gran Turismo in terms of car collection and game progression.

I'm guessing the car thing is a huge pain in the rear end when you're dealing with 50+ different manufacturers, like wrangling whoever owns the rights to all 700 cars in Forza is probably a major project in itself.

The driving feel in Project CARs is starting to feel a lot better to me, correcting oversteer in the street cars feels much more natural than when they first changed the tire model. Except for the grass, it's still very dangerous. I'm still waiting to see how the career mode works though. It seems like the cars will already be spread kind of thin between how many different series they said they were going for and there hasn't been anything to see regarding the AI yet.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

All depends on what you want to do. If it's realistic driving/racing physics, doing a softbody simulation isn't enough. I'd wager the suspension in it is a simple spring, tires are probably nothing special either. Modern racing sims spend considerable CPU on simulating whole suspension geometries and multivalve dampers, as well feature highly complex tire and contact patch simulations. The advantage BeamNG has is chassis flex, something with racesims have not bothered simulating yet, which is think would still be worthwhile on non-F1 cars.

I have beam ng and it is an awesome tech demo. I feel like beam ng, and rigs of rods, main strength is larger vehicles like trucks and offroad vehicles.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sauce posted:

Closest I can think of is GT Legends, which is still supported to this day and continues to have a fanbase. Or was a year or so ago.

To get a win7 compatable download for free all I had to do was email the publishers a pic of my original disk and box :)

Do you have a link for this or the email address you sent this to? I have this game and would love to play it again.

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010
This post fromo the No Grip forums was the way I went,http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1513815, but the link now just takes you to RaceRoom homepage.

The game is on Steam now http://store.steampowered.com/app/44690, and this is some info on activating the game with you existing multiplayer key: http://support.raceroomracingexperience.com/index.php/kb/articles/20-gt-legends-revival.

Hope it helps and you can get it running again, I loved driving the Nordschleife in this game.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sauce posted:

I just noticed that the maker has a huge pack with all of their racing games on steam. You guys think it's worth getting or are most of the games duds? These days I really only play rFactor 2 and could use a bit more variety.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Original_Z posted:

I just noticed that the maker has a huge pack with all of their racing games on steam. You guys think it's worth getting or are most of the games duds? These days I really only play rFactor 2 and could use a bit more variety.
Yeah I mean none of the other SimBin games are any more amazing than the other but there is a ton of variety and it's not that much for the massive pack.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Also, the GT Legends assets are required for the Vintage GT and Touring Cars mod (HistorX) for rFactor, which owns big time. Play it, if you haven't.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

So F1 2013 is still poo poo, right? My main complaint with 2012 is that I could never get a linear steering setup with my T500RS.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Original_Z posted:

If you get the pack make sure you grab the Power and Glory mod for gtr2 http://www.gtlw.co.uk/

Edit: heres a video talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9fEoU685k

deebo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 8, 2013

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

What's happened to GTR3? A quick search on google seems to hint it got sidelined/delayed/abandoned in favour of the RaceRoom title, but I don't see anything definitive on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Helicon One posted:

What's happened to GTR3? A quick search on google seems to hint it got sidelined/delayed/abandoned in favour of the RaceRoom title, but I don't see anything definitive on it.

Please don't let that be true. :(

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I said come in! posted:

Please don't let that be true. :(

Like I said there's nothing definitive but things are far too quiet and even the GTR3 Facebook page seems to be made up of nothing but 'hey look at this new thing we have for OUR RACEROOM GAME' updates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought RR and GTR3 are essentially the same game engine, except with former having various aids forced on?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is RFactor 2 technically released now? Or is it in some sort of perpetual beta? I can't tell from the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is RFactor 2 technically released now? Or is it in some sort of perpetual beta? I can't tell from the website.

It's technically released, with many updates and additional content in the pipeline. They are both creating new content, and updating old content. For example, their latest program update added support for some new suspension modeling features that will be utilized in their upcoming car releases, and they will also be updating the old cars to utilize these features also.

• Locked thread