Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spiders. Thousands of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oh drat, crying a little. I have a real soft spot for cats, and I never got to say goodbye to my beloved cat who I had had since third grade. He was about 17 years old, diabetic, and infirm in other ways, and my parents had to put him to sleep while I was away at school. To avoid upsetting me, they didn't tell me until I returned home for Thanksgiving that year.

I've never been able to have another cat due to roommates and apartment leases and now my wife, who is deathly allergic, but I still think about him every day. He was white like Fuzzball, too.

I have a white cat. I've had him vor 12 years. He's dying right now. Giant tumor in the stomach. Every day might be his last and i'm not even sure if i should hope for him to keep going or to just let go...yeah...crying a little..

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

I have a white cat. I've had him vor 12 years. He's dying right now. Giant tumor in the stomach. Every day might be his last and i'm not even sure if i should hope for him to keep going or to just let go...yeah...crying a little..

Sorry to hear that, man. I've lost two dogs over the past three years and it's the worst feeling in the world :smith:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm not sure what issue of Beasts of Burden this is from but what happens is that one day Ace (the husky) finds a runaway teenager hiding in his dog house who can apparently understand what the animals are saying. They quickly become close friends until the boy starts acting strange as the full moon approaches. Finally, it's revealed that the reason he can understand the dogs is because he's a werewolf. He transforms and is immediately chased into the woods by some hunters with the animals close behind.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Beasts of Burden has a lot of moments that belong in this thread. I think the short stories are where the series hit it's stride the best.

From the first story:

Context: The dogs investigate a haunted doghouse and find dog bones buried underneath it, from long before the house was there. Suddenly a ghost springs up from the bones:

I looked pretty much like all the dogs in the last panel the first time I read this.

From a more recent short story:

Context: The dogs run across a random flock of sheep all alone in a field. They have a run in with the sheep dog at first, but the sheep tell him its alright and send him ahead to scout around.

The final page, showing what Jack saw that upset him so bad, is less touching than it is horrifying though...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's supremely hosed up, but touching. On the first one though, the dog's expressions kind of ruin it for me. Otherwise A+++, very awesome.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So Beasts of Burden is basically just designed to make you cry all the time forever, right? Like We3 but with an ongoing continuity?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sigma-X posted:

So Beasts of Burden is basically just designed to make you cry all the time forever, right? Like We3 but with an ongoing continuity?

Yes. There's an issue about ghost puppies that's one of the saddest and hosed up things I've read. That said I really hope he write more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That scene would be a lot greater if the artist had drawn the girl so we couldn't see her bra.

Maybe he was just representing x-ray vision in action! :science:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dick Trauma posted:

Well, then Superman's kinda a perv, instead of the artist.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Beasts of Burden: Where dogs live in a nightmarish, Cthullu filled existence.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Len posted:

Yes. There's an issue about ghost puppies that's one of the saddest and hosed up things I've read. That said I really hope he write more.

They are doing more. Next year, I think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone mind explaining Beasts of Burden? Is it "dogs exploring the supernatural" or something more than that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Madkal posted:

Is it "dogs exploring the supernatural"?

Dogs and cats exploring the supernatural. It's not Eisner material or anything, but it's rather good for what it is.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Saoshyant posted:

Dogs and cats exploring the supernatural. It's not Eisner material or anything, but it's rather good for what it is.

Except that it literally is Eisner material pretty much every time it comes out.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Madkal posted:

Someone mind explaining Beasts of Burden? Is it "dogs exploring the supernatural" or something more than that?

Apparently animals have an easier time seeing the supernatural. So, house pets and the like get together to secretly protect humans from the evil supernatural.

And sometimes team up with Hellboy.

Entertainer13 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 1, 2013

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Saoshyant posted:

It has literally won five Eisners, and been nominated for another as well as winning and being nominated for other awards, including Harveys and the National Cartoonist Society.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That scene would be a lot greater if the artist had drawn the girl so we couldn't see her bra.

Clark's not above using his xray vision for a peek, but he'll keep it above the lingerie level.

edit: whoops didnt see that entire new page.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Welp, time to find the Beasts of Burden hardcover, that's amazing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Welp, time to find the Beasts of Burden hardcover, that's amazing.

They had me at Hellboy team up.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

bobkatt013 posted:

They had me at Hellboy team up.
The Hellboy team up isn't actually in the hardcover. It's a one shot issue that isn't collected anywhere, I'm pretty sure.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The Hellboy team up isn't actually in the hardcover. It's a one shot issue that isn't collected anywhere, I'm pretty sure.

I know. I ordered the Hardcover, the hellboy issue, and collection of Dark Horse Presents.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Dick Trauma posted:

Actually having read the story, it makes sense. The girl is trying to seduce Clark and is wearing a sheer piece of lingerie. Given the information we get about her later, it makes a weird kind of sense that she would behave that way as well.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DragonReach posted:

Actually having read the story, it makes sense. The girl is trying to seduce Clark and is wearing a sheer piece of lingerie. Given the information we get about her later, it makes a weird kind of sense that she would behave that way as well.

So did she actually know he was Superman or what? Because those panels are vague as hell.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

404GoonNotFound posted:

So did she actually know he was Superman or what? Because those panels are vague as hell.

not explicitly, but it is hinted, but she definitely didn't know at that stage of the story.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Sigma-X posted:

Seriously what the gently caress. I'm looking at these panels and trying hard not to cry. Why would anyone inflict this on themselves. The art doesn't help either those loving animals being traumatized are adorable.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

Seriously what the gently caress. I'm looking at these panels and trying hard not to cry. Why would anyone inflict this on themselves. The art doesn't help either those loving animals being traumatized are adorable.

Honestly, there's a lot of silly fun in between that makes it paletable.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Nah if you REALLY want to feel like total poo poo after reading a comic book my go-to recommendation is Stargazing Dog. I'm pretty sure it was designed in a lab by a team of scientists in an attempt to weaponize the most primal, awful internal feelings that everyone who has ever owned a pet has.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Is he gonna have sex with that dog? :cry:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm pretty sure the man opened the door so the dog could get out after what looks to be his inevitable death. Where did you get dog sex from that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm thinking that the man is old and dying and doesn't want to be alone, so he locks the dog in the car with him. :shrug:

Shirec posted:

I'm pretty sure the man opened the door so the dog could get out after what looks to be his inevitable death. Where did you get dog sex from that?

I like your answer better.

Can we get the last panels Mr. Wind up bird?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm pretty sure he was making a joke.

And the dog goes on to live for another year, scavenging for food and sleeping in the car.

And to close here's a poem that's not in the book but is still something I think about a lot

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Christ, that is brutal. I've gotta go watch some dumb YouTube videos before I have a total breakdown.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Li'l Gotham #6

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm happy that Damian is still alive somewhere :unsmith:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That's like the exact opposite of the final arc of Batman, Inc.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spaceman Bill posted:

That's like the exact opposite of the final arc of Batman, Inc.

And only for that, is 100 times better :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Li'l Gotham #6

I hope the next page is them opening a door and there is some space gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Please tell me in that continuity Bruce and Talia live together and raise Damian like a family. Like, let's go for some nice poo poo for a change.