Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I hope they removed that lovely limited lives system in Team Death Match, especially if they are increasing it to 64 players. 80 lives per team is stupidly small for 32 players. You barely have enough time to get into the flow before the round ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The way they're describing this makes it sound like it'll be separated from the base game. I'm hoping this isn't the case, I want to unleash my hanzo steel on the filthy peasants. :japan:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So I understand you also start throwing hissy fits and try to votekick players and call them faggots if they use feints? Thanks for the insightful commentary either way.

If your foe hosed a sheep would you consider it honerable?

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Does he offer me a chance to gently caress said sheep?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Don't carve through me like a cake, I'm just a grandfatherly human being.

I'm sorry but I can read books so calling someone who calls himself Barristan Selmy 'Ser Grandfather' means something to me.

Babe Magnet posted:

If your foe hosed a sheep would you consider it honerable?

Ok SA forum user "Babe Magnet", I appreciate your contributions thus far and understand that you did not find the anecdote amusing. You owned me through and through.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 27, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Actually, SA forum user "emanresu tnuocca", we're just making fun of you because you were ragging on Chivalry players for calling people "faggots" on the same page you called some random pubbie a human being. No one cares that you called the guy "Ser Grandfather" you loving sperg, it's the "human being" part we're laughing at you about.

As for actual Chivalry stuff, anyone know how long those "rounds" last on the Deadliest Warrior page? I searched through the forums but I didn't see any hints to it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

As for actual Chivalry stuff, anyone know how long those "rounds" last on the Deadliest Warrior page? I searched through the forums but I didn't see any hints to it.

I would guess maybe a week or two each? I've seen no official information about it as of yet.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Babe Magnet posted:

Actually, SA forum user "emanresu tnuocca", we're just making fun of you because you were ragging on Chivalry players for calling people "faggots" on the same page you called some random pubbie a human being. No one cares that you called the guy "Ser Grandfather" you loving sperg, it's the "human being" part we're laughing at you about.

You are not laughing at anything, you're just being a 2 bit PC warrior cause I used the word 'faggotry' although it was actually in a completely sarcastic manner, you defended gay rights valiantly today. Either way gently caress along.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
All this talk of faggotry is fascinating and all, but you're missing the big picture: new over-the-top battlecries and taunts in terrible, terrible accents :woop:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MadJackMcJack posted:

All this talk of faggotry is fascinating and all, but you're missing the big picture: new over-the-top battlecries and taunts in terrible, terrible accents :woop:
Known Bugs: The Spartans are using the Agatha Archer Taunts. You really are that handsome though, we better not turn our back on you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You are not laughing at anything, you're just being a 2 bit PC warrior cause I used the word 'faggotry' although it was actually in a completely sarcastic manner, you defended gay rights valiantly today. Either way gently caress along.

Wow, that comment is unchivalrous, and unexpected from the honorable Ser emanresu!

MadJackMcJack posted:

I hope there are just as many taunts, but for each of the factions, and I hope they're as stereotypical and borderline racist as possible.

Japanese dude needs to yell "Shameful Display!"

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You are the worst.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Okay let's move on from the human being discussion.

e: and uhhh by that I mean stop the derail.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Man actually looking into this thread has made me realize how many of the more fun people were goons. A BUNCH OF GODDAMN CATS sends his regards.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 27, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I played a game last night where a few of us banded together with tower shields and longswords in an FFA. It worked really well at first- we got to be completely insufferable douches for about a round. And then the entire server banded together to slaughter us.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

I think it's only ok to team up in a FFA when your whole team gives itself a disadvantage, like fists only. It's hilarious and people tend not to be as outraged by it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I will make sure to keep the Chivalry Rules of Etiquette in mind the next time I want to have fun in an FFA server. (people being outraged is half the point dude)

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I went into a duel/ffa server in Beta and there were ~3 people that had banded together slaughtering people so four others of us got together and destroyed them and anyone that interfered. Then the original group left and we destroyed any who stood in our way. Then an actual good player joined and kept killing us.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Koramei posted:

I will make sure to keep the Chivalry Rules of Etiquette in mind the next time I want to have fun in an FFA server. (people being outraged is half the point dude)

There is a line, though, between the outrage of "how dare you" and that of omgwtfkickomg.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

our handicap was that we stayed in the center, all people had to do was not attack us. they always attacked us.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Hey I just found this thread and this game looks hilarious and amazing. Is there still a pretty active community/goon group playing the game?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I own batman scoop sometimes and played a game with four other goons and we made everyone else leave and/or the server emptied itself.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
A new way a bunch of us all started playing tonight was to swap and take a random class and weapon after every death in an FFA server. Ended up being drat fun because you'd just end up with some weird combos you never would have tried otherwise, and you have to instantly try to make some use of them and defend yourself before you get murdered. I highly recommend it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is there a way to report or deal with cheaters/hackers other than votekick? a dude named Ivan P was blatantly speedcheating but the server I was on had disabled votekick.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Is there a way to report or deal with cheaters/hackers other than votekick? a dude named Ivan P was blatantly speedcheating but the server I was on had disabled votekick.

You might be able to do something via stream. Not really sure though.

I've been playing a bit after the latest patch, and there's some really wonky poo poo, the hit detection seems really spotty right now. Also the MAA dodge is kinda hosed, it works the way it's supposed to, but the camera sometimes freaks the gently caress out in first person like it'll run into/clip through the ground during the dodge. It's really disorienting and keeps getting me killed. Not really the end of the world cause it's just a video game but it's slightly obnoxious...Not even enough to make me stop playing though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Fuzz posted:

A new way a bunch of us all started playing tonight was to swap and take a random class and weapon after every death in an FFA server. Ended up being drat fun because you'd just end up with some weird combos you never would have tried otherwise, and you have to instantly try to make some use of them and defend yourself before you get murdered. I highly recommend it.

I've done that some in duel mode. Didn't cross my mind to do it in FFA. Sounds like fun.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

dog nougat posted:

the MAA dodge is kinda hosed, it works the way it's supposed to, but the camera sometimes freaks the gently caress out in first person like it'll run into/clip through the ground during the dodge. It's really disorienting and keeps getting me killed.

I've just taken to looking at it this way: since what I'm doing is, frankly, teleporting, I see the random kaleidoscopic mash of color and whatever the gently caress else that poo poo is as whatever dimension I'm travelling through to completely arrest the laws of physics in my favor. To me, this horrifying, disorienting second of dread is a small price to pay for being the only class with a superpower.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
What causes you to get "stunned"? I mean, not being able to respond after parrying while still having stamina.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Big L posted:

What causes you to get "stunned"? I mean, not being able to respond after parrying while still having stamina.

Vanguard's charge attack will do this.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Hmmm is there anything else? I seem to remember being stunned while having a regular fight with someone :shobon:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Getting kicked while holding a shield block or running out of stamina, note that when you get stunned from running out of stamina you will immediately recover 30 stamina, so it might appear as though you have plenty of stamina when you're stunned but you actually ran out on your last parry.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
MAA can also dodge away while stamina stunned. Most of them don't seem to know this, though.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Getting kicked while holding a shield block or running out of stamina, note that when you get stunned from running out of stamina you will immediately recover 30 stamina, so it might appear as though you have plenty of stamina when you're stunned but you actually ran out on your last parry.

That last part would make sense. Thanks!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Big L posted:

Hmmm is there anything else? I seem to remember being stunned while having a regular fight with someone :shobon:

Many of the Knight 2 handers will do this as well, specifically the Maul and the Grand Mace if they're doing the overhead attack, regardless of how much stamina you have. That could have been it. As far as I have seen, they're the only class that gets those sorts of attacks other than the Vanguard's charge attack... overheads with any of the Vanguard's weapons still don't cause any stagger.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
So is it actually worth buying this game? Reading the last couple pages it seems like the OP is kind of outdated. I've been playing War of the Roses and it's kind of fun, but it's gotten a bit stale since literally 99% of people are running the same exact "whatever is OP / broken right now" build and teamwork is basically nonexistent. Is this better, or just more of the same?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I haven't played War of the Roses but from what I've heard from people comparing them is Chivalry has a much better combat system but not as much customization/options? I would wait for a sale but I got it for 8.50 and I've gotten way more than my money's worth. It's worth $25 for sure but it's gone to 6.25 before. There's also an expansion pack coming out this fall for $15 that adds ridiculous stuff like Samurai and Spartans as well as 4 other classes. Mod support is coming with people already having made stuff like Helm's Deep maps. The combat system is surprisingly deep, 4 classes with 10 main weapons, 10 side weapons and a handful of special items each. Each weapon behaves differently and learning the system of horizontal/vertical swings and stabs along with parrying, feinting, good footwork and how to read enemies is fun and rewarding once you get it. Otherwise it's just dumb fun as you run in screaming at enemies with a goddamn polehammer and watch three of your enemies head disintegrate as you swing your hammer through them while yelling at them as a man at arms throws a firebomb at you, an arrow flies into your chest and a pink knight with a maul rushes you and smashes your head with an overhead swing. Then you respawn and do it again.

Basically I've sunk over 100 hours into it and it's still fun. The expansion and mods will make it better.

edit: in fact I'm playing it RIGHT NOW

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Full Fathoms Five posted:

So is it actually worth buying this game? Reading the last couple pages it seems like the OP is kind of outdated. I've been playing War of the Roses and it's kind of fun, but it's gotten a bit stale since literally 99% of people are running the same exact "whatever is OP / broken right now" build and teamwork is basically nonexistent. Is this better, or just more of the same?

Well, teamwork is mostly nonexistant among pubbies (but if you expect that in any game ever you are insane). I have not played WotR, but I can guarantee you that for the most part, every weapon in this game is at least somewhat viable. Everyone has a favorite but really, there is no weapon that beats all others. I've been able to top the scoreboard consistently with everything I've ever tried.

The combat is, overall, fantastic. There are still bugs and glitches that can be incredibly frustrating, but for the complexity and speed of the game it works remarkable well, I would say. It gets better when you play with 24 people or less, as well. 32 or god forbid 64 person servers get really loving bad.

Summary: Yes this game is fun.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Having played both it and War of the roses, I much, much prefer Chivalry.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
How the hell do you use shields in this game

Is it possible for admins to disable teamkilling in this game? Because it's rampant, and not even on purpose much of the time

Is there some secret to telling allies from enemies when people are wearing off team colors

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Relin posted:

How the hell do you use shields in this game

Is it possible for admins to disable teamkilling in this game? Because it's rampant, and not even on purpose much of the time

You block with them. Teamkilling is part of the game but there are servers that reduce it or eliminate it. Getting hit by idiot teammates is part of medieval warfare though!

Slappy Moose posted:

Well, teamwork is mostly nonexistant among pubbies (but if you expect that in any game ever you are insane). I have not played WotR, but I can guarantee you that for the most part, every weapon in this game is at least somewhat viable. Everyone has a favorite but really, there is no weapon that beats all others. I've been able to top the scoreboard consistently with everything I've ever tried.

The combat is, overall, fantastic. There are still bugs and glitches that can be incredibly frustrating, but for the complexity and speed of the game it works remarkable well, I would say. It gets better when you play with 24 people or less, as well. 32 or god forbid 64 person servers get really loving bad.

Summary: Yes this game is fun.

The best weapon in the game is the hunting knife hth.

• Locked thread