Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a fun Turn Based Strategy Game, I kind of want it to be like Swat 4 where you can queue up take down maneuvers, or synchronized shots or reaction fire, and everything just kind of meshes and works. I'd also be ok with like a Tom Clancy TBS. Does this thing exist.
Door Kickers is a game in development which looks like Flight Control/FTL/Cannon Fodder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItlXDRMOi7A

Otherwise, Frozen Synapse might do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for a business simulator/stock market game where I can either take over entire industries or make ludicrous amounts of money by ruining my competition. I tried Capitalism 2, but it's so old that it's aged very poorly and the UI wouldn't scale to my monitor. Is there anything out there like that? I like Game Dev Tycoon but it was too easy and random, while GameBiz 3 was ridiculously grognardy and difficult to the point where I didn't feel like investing three dozen hours on failed attempts before making something halfway successful. Please advise!

Try Patrician. People dislike it because they feel like once you set up some automated trade routes the game plays itself, but that's the point where you start buying out markets and loving over your competition with price fixing. If you get the Patrician IV expansion the on-land markets are significantly expanded, too.

And if you haven't played Anno you should probably try those, too.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Looking for a game with long parts that focus on exploration and talking to people before going to the next action sequence or whatever. Yeah, weird request, I know. Basically I'm looking for a game with good writing. An adventure game with zero action is good as well as long as it's really interesting. I also tried to get The Longest Journey working on my Macbook but no luck yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NeilPerry posted:

Looking for a game with long parts that focus on exploration and talking to people before going to the next action sequence or whatever. Yeah, weird request, I know. Basically I'm looking for a game with good writing. An adventure game with zero action is good as well as long as it's really interesting. I also tried to get The Longest Journey working on my Macbook but no luck yet.
Get Gone Home, its all about exploration and while you don't talk to anyone you learn about the characters through the exploration.

And when it comes to adventure games on Mac I recommend the ones developed/published by WadjetEye Games. They're all quality games with good writing.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

NeilPerry posted:

You may have already played it, but Planescape has an amazzzzing story/great dialogue, and although the combat is kind of boring it also doesn't happen that much, and you can largely ignore it in favor of the plot (this is assuming you also have a pc, however old, tucked away).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm looking for something upbeat or generally positive, preferably while also being kind of chill. Every game, book, movie and TV show I've interacted with lately has been either blood-drenched or grim, and I'm looking for a change of pace. I was considering something in the Harvest Moon series, but I don't want to deal with a clock. Preemptive "not Gone Home," already played it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kestral posted:

I'm looking for something upbeat or generally positive, preferably while also being kind of chill. Every game, book, movie and TV show I've interacted with lately has been either blood-drenched or grim, and I'm looking for a change of pace. I was considering something in the Harvest Moon series, but I don't want to deal with a clock. Preemptive "not Gone Home," already played it.

Since you didn't name anything specific, I'm going to say you should play Kirby's Epic Yarn. Something I've been playing recently that has always put a smile on my face is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which will be great for you if you have a lot of Sega nostalgia.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kestral posted:

That's kind of broad so I'm just going to list the first 10 upbeat and chill games that are on my Steam list.

Rez
Minecraft
Terraria
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Poker Night 1&2
Chaos on Deponia
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Ittle Dew
Monster Loves You!

Those pretty much run the gambit of Zelda games, kart racers, simulators, adventure games, cards, builders, and a trippy shooter where you blow up geometry. There's tons more, just have to do a little digging. I think the big thing is most of those are indie games or at least not published by a gargantuan studio. Once you get too popular, I think you're locked in to making grimdark games.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kestral posted:

Pretty much anything by Amanita Design, especially Botanicula or Machinarium. Ridiculously full of charm, and not particularly challenging. I honest would rank the story and presentation of Machinarium up there with Studio Ghibli films.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

NeilPerry posted:

You're probably looking for the Walking Dead game- it plays like a point-and-click adventure game, and there's lots of opportunities to talk your friends to death between 'action' scenes, plus the writing is phenomenal. It isn't really related to the comic or TV series, so even if you hate those, the game is excellent.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hopefully this isn't too far from the spirit of the thread.

I'm looking for a game I vaguely remember from some years ago. You'd go out on sort of roguelike adventures in the wilderness, but it wasn't just you versus the world; you had a sort of base camp (a barbarian tribe, maybe?), and all the things you were doing were to help prepare them for a Great Evil that was approaching. You had to choose which adventures you went on based on the needs of and threats to your base, and I think there were some management aspects as well. Anyone know what I might be thinking of?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hey guys, I am looking for a game similar to Shadow Of the Colossus. (if there is one!)
I recently played the crap out of it on PS3, having played the crap out of it when it was on PS2, now I'm hankering for more action of a similarly epic nature.

Anything closely resembling that game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiteski posted:

Hey guys, I am looking for a game similar to Shadow Of the Colossus. (if there is one!)
I recently played the crap out of it on PS3, having played the crap out of it when it was on PS2, now I'm hankering for more action of a similarly epic nature.

Anything closely resembling that game?

Dragon's Dogma features climbing around on monsters similar to Shadow of the Colossus, although most of the ones you fight aren't nearly as huge as the Colossi. It's a pretty neat action RPG anyway, though, so worth checking out regardless.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kestral posted:

Get Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. There's a demo. It's cutesy main character is irresistably positive, to which the NPCs in the game themselves are kinda disarmed and :stare:. The game has a very important hidden quality in that the translation to English is done extremely well, so the whole thing is hilarious. I had a huge poo poo-eating grin the whole time while playing it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dragon's Dogma features climbing around on monsters similar to Shadow of the Colossus, although most of the ones you fight aren't nearly as huge as the Colossi. It's a pretty neat action RPG anyway, though, so worth checking out regardless.

I'll youtube some gameplay of it now. Cheers for the reply

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So, I'm looking for a game with emphasis on creativity over power or anything - I don't much care about genre. Portal and Portal 2 were good examples in this in that you had very few tools, but an ungodly number of ways to use them. The only caveat is that it has to be on PC due to me lacking any other system at the moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Have you played the Last of Us? There is quite a bit of action, but breaks it up nicely with exploration and the story is great.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Like NeilPerry I'm also after a sort of exploratory game, one that I guess you would define as "adventure" except this usually seems to mean "point and click puzzle solving." Combat is fine, I'm just really looking for a game with lots of exploration to do on a great big fantasy adventure. Like, when I was a kid I love Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross because you got to explore around in these great environments and talk to people, but I found the turn-based combat a drag and would hate it even more now. Similarly, I loved Skyrim - up to the point where I'd explored all the aboveground map, and get bored of being funneled into dungeons to fetch poo poo.

I'm only on PC, otherwise I'd probably give something like Uncharted a shot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

freebooter posted:

Like NeilPerry I'm also after a sort of exploratory game, one that I guess you would define as "adventure" except this usually seems to mean "point and click puzzle solving." Combat is fine, I'm just really looking for a game with lots of exploration to do on a great big fantasy adventure. Like, when I was a kid I love Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross because you got to explore around in these great environments and talk to people, but I found the turn-based combat a drag and would hate it even more now. Similarly, I loved Skyrim - up to the point where I'd explored all the aboveground map, and get bored of being funneled into dungeons to fetch poo poo.

I'm only on PC, otherwise I'd probably give something like Uncharted a shot.

It's a point-and-click adventure game, but The Longest Journey has a fantastic atmosphere and sense of adventure, and maybe all of two puzzles that involve moon logic. Both of which are in the first few chapters of the game. Goddamn duck-clamp :argh:. The sequel, Dreamfall, is pretty good too. Though you do really need to play TLJ first for story reasons. Both are readily available on GoG or Steam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to be that dude, but if you love satisfying exploration there is literally nothing out there that beats the Souls games. Freedom,challenge,mystery...They convey a sense of adventure I have never seen in another game.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

FredMSloniker posted:

Hopefully this isn't too far from the spirit of the thread.

I'm looking for a game I vaguely remember from some years ago. You'd go out on sort of roguelike adventures in the wilderness, but it wasn't just you versus the world; you had a sort of base camp (a barbarian tribe, maybe?), and all the things you were doing were to help prepare them for a Great Evil that was approaching. You had to choose which adventures you went on based on the needs of and threats to your base, and I think there were some management aspects as well. Anyone know what I might be thinking of?

This perfectly describes A Dark Room (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/), which was posted a few pages back.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Liberatore posted:

This perfectly describes A Dark Room (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/), which was posted a few pages back.

No, it's not A Dark Room. It's an older game, for one thing, and for another the game was a lot beefier. Sadly, I don't seem to remember enough to make it findable. Ah well.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I just put together a new gaming rig last night, looking for something to test its limits. What's a good game to test the limits of a gaming PC with?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

letgomyAgo posted:

I just put together a new gaming rig last night, looking for something to test its limits. What's a good game to test the limits of a gaming PC with?
I've heard The Witcher 2 on higher settings can push your PC, and it's an excellent game besides.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

letgomyAgo posted:

You can crank up ARMA 3 to pretty ridiculous levels, though the game is still in beta and therefore not entirely optimized yet, but it's still a good benchmark.
Similarly, Planetside 2 is an absolute resource hog and eats away at your CPU, even though it doesn't even look that impressive by today's standards, but again, it's pretty good for benchmarking and seeing how your rig handles the game.

The new Tomb Raider looks absolutely gorgeous with all the settings maxed out, and there's bonus points if your machine can handle the ridiculous hair FX thingy that will instantly eat a good 60 fps or so just to render Lara Croft's hair in ludicrous detail :I

Other than that, I've heard that Crysis (the original, first game in the series) can still bring modern rigs to their knees.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

FredMSloniker posted:

No, it's not A Dark Room. It's an older game, for one thing, and for another the game was a lot beefier. Sadly, I don't seem to remember enough to make it findable. Ah well.

Your description kind of reminds me of Unreal World, but I only played it once and didn't get far so maybe I'm way off

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Saints Row 4 comes out in a few days, it should be exactly what you're looking for.

Saints Row 4 is exactly what he's looking for. You feel so ridiculously powerful in that game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Burning Mustache posted:

You can crank up ARMA 3 to pretty ridiculous levels, though the game is still in beta and therefore not entirely optimized yet, but it's still a good benchmark.
Similarly, Planetside 2 is an absolute resource hog and eats away at your CPU, even though it doesn't even look that impressive by today's standards, but again, it's pretty good for benchmarking and seeing how your rig handles the game.

The new Tomb Raider looks absolutely gorgeous with all the settings maxed out, and there's bonus points if your machine can handle the ridiculous hair FX thingy that will instantly eat a good 60 fps or so just to render Lara Croft's hair in ludicrous detail :I

Other than that, I've heard that Crysis (the original, first game in the series) can still bring modern rigs to their knees.

If you have a good PC you'll max out Crysis 1 no problem. At 1080p, with a newly built, high end PC(as of right now), the only games I can see really chugging are Crysis 3 and maybe Arma 3. Metro: Last Light will if you crank literally everything up but you can still run it on Ultra. Same with The Witcher 2, runs perfectly on Ultra with a current high end PC, it's only Ubersampling(which some people say actually makes the game look a little worse in spots) that really makes a difference. Stuff like Tomb Raider is too well optimized to run poorly, even with TressFX(which looks weird anyway).

A really over the top ENB/SweetFX setup for Skyrim can definitely push my system, but it's kind of a pain.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

letgomyAgo posted:

Battlefield 3 is pretty brutal on a PC.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

letgomyAgo posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 by default has low AF and an AA solution that is kinda crappy and flickering, while forcing it to run on 16x AF and proper MSAA or SSAA looks very pretty, but is rather demanding. Go try the demo. :bandwagon:

edit: It's -66% on Steam at the moment in case you missed the summer sale

pigdog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

letgomyAgo posted:

Crysis 3 is a good game to pit your new PC hardware against.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm actually thinking of reinstalling Crysis 3 just to look at it some more. I have a pretty high end PC (7950 and a 3570k with 12GB of RAM) and I can't get a 30+ framerate on Ultra, but even on Very High it looks better than anything I can think of. It even looks subtly better than Metro Last Light, while representing bigger environments. Shame about the gameplay.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Witcher 2 with ubersampling. (It looks worse I hear, but it's sure to push your hardware! :pcgaming:)

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Are there any other games that are like A Dark Room in the same survival, management sense that aren't just text adventure/roguelikes? That game is really awesome.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Been playing a lot of hardest difficult XCom:EU lately. Any similar style games for ps3 or pc? Though nothing super anime-like e.g. valkyria chronicles.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Lately I've been getting into importing and emulation. What are some uniquely unamerican games that aren't visual novels? Platform doesn't matter, and a menu translation somewhere online is the bare minimum. Already been playing the Super Robot Wars, Idolmaster and Project Diva games.

EmmyOk posted:

Been playing a lot of hardest difficult XCom:EU lately. Any similar style games for ps3 or pc? Though nothing super anime-like e.g. valkyria chronicles.
You really only have two choices for tactical RPGs. Japanese console games or lower-budget western PC games.

On consoles, I'd check out the Front Mission series and Final Fantasy Tactics (not it's sequels). Both are amazing, anime-free and based in Europe/western culture with heavy political backdrops. Might be worth looking into Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA as it was made by the original Xcom guys. If you like Rebelstar, check out Fire Emblem (Permadeath, western setting/characters) and Advance Wars. Front Mission 3 and FFTactics are available on PSN, Front Mission 4 is like $5 for PS2, and Front Mission 5 has a full fan-made translation online.

For the PC, there's Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout: Tactics and the new Syndicate, there's also Xenonauts and UFO: Alien Invasion but they've both been in alpha forever. The UFO series is on Steam but I think it's poo poo.

Full Spectrum Warrior and it's sequel are Valkyrie Chronicles with the anime swapped out for realism. It's also a bit out there, but Civ 5 has hex's now which give combat depth.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 1, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

rizuhbull posted:

Lately I've been getting into importing and emulation. What are some uniquely unamerican games that aren't visual novels? Platform doesn't matter, and a menu translation somewhere online is the bare minimum. Already been playing the Super Robot Wars, Idolmaster and Project Diva games.

Baroque for the Sega Saturn. The remake is boring as hell(and very different) so don't get that; I think that one has a US release anyway. It's a first person roguelike with the atmosphere of Silent Hill.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Baroque for the Sega Saturn. The remake is boring as hell(and very different) so don't get that; I think that one has a US release anyway. It's a first person roguelike with the atmosphere of Silent Hill.
I think I have the remake on PS2 :negative: Is it that bad or does it just not hold a candle to the original? Forgot to mention I have King's Field as well. Is there a definitive Gundam game for PS3 I can import?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 1, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I honestly think the remake is straight up really boring and kind of a lovely game. It's totally lacking in atmosphere and difficulty compared to the original.

edit: It's also third person as opposed to first person.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I feel like some pirates. Is there anything I should be getting (for PC), or is it still a case of just reinstalling Sid Meier's Pirates! and playing that?

Genre is unimportant, but I feel the need to sail around in a big ship pillaging the gold of the weak.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 1, 2013