Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

DaveKap posted:

I'm trying to play with my friend on PC but no matter how much DMZ/Firewall/Port fuckery I try, we can't connect to each other. The Steam forum seems to have a thread of people complaining about it with no real solutions. Anyone here want to add DaveKap on uPlay so we can play some noob SvM?

Quoting my earlier post in case you didn't see it:

Space Hamlet posted:

For those having trouble connecting to multiplayer games, this worked for me:

Go to network and sharing center > adapter settings. Disable everything except your active network - including Hamachi, your wireless (if you use Ethernet), etc. Suddenly, SvM works for me and I can connect to my friends without Hamachi. gg ubisoft

The movement controls in SvM are a bit different from the rest of the game. It's disorienting and I keep screwing up. Lots of fun, though.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Space Hamlet posted:

Quoting my earlier post unless you didn't see it:
Yeah, I actually already did that. On second glance, though, I have to have 2 TAP adapters for work and Windows won't let me disable them, so I get the feeling I have to literally uninstall the drivers for those before I can play. Gro-an.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Gazaar posted:

I just know I'll never be able to go back and play the previous ones because of Blood Money syndrome, once you play the top tier game in a franchise you can't really go backwards.

Hmmm. I wouldn't say that's accurate. They're all very similar in terms of gameplay and how you approach things. There are new gadgets and stuff with the new games but the core gameplay of sneaking around and trying to avoid or distract your way around levels is virtually identical across the board. The game engine's been nearly identical throughout the series too so that helps too. If nothing else, Conviction would still basically feel like more game to play if you finish Blacklist and are wanting more. You can decide from there if you want to go back further (and I would, excepting maybe Double Agent).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, while I understand the "hard to go back" syndrome of playing videogames (pretty much anything from the n64 era hasn't aged well at all), I don't think Splinter Cell is applicable.

Chaos Theory (and the other pre-Conviction games) are practically a separate entity from what we have now. The gameplay and plot aesthetics are just night and day.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, while I understand the "hard to go back" syndrome of playing videogames (pretty much anything from the n64 era hasn't aged well at all), I don't think Splinter Cell is applicable.

Chaos Theory (and the other pre-Conviction games) are practically a separate entity from what we have now. The gameplay and plot aesthetics are just night and day.

Chaos Theory looks awesome (almost this-gen graphics) and plays really well. Better than the current games although this new one is close.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Naky posted:

Hmmm. I wouldn't say that's accurate. They're all very similar in terms of gameplay and how you approach things. There are new gadgets and stuff with the new games but the core gameplay of sneaking around and trying to avoid or distract your way around levels is virtually identical across the board. The game engine's been nearly identical throughout the series too so that helps too. If nothing else, Conviction would still basically feel like more game to play if you finish Blacklist and are wanting more. You can decide from there if you want to go back further (and I would, excepting maybe Double Agent).

Why excepting Double Agent? It's still my favorite of the lot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It is really hard to go back and play the pre-Chaos Theory games. But I think after that, they all have their charms. I watched a lets play of Double Agent, and I have to say that I think it was a pretty ballsy game, although I really wish they hadn't made some of the decisions that they did.

Getting rid of Lambert being the top one because my god is the Splinter Cell team annoying as hell in Blacklist. I wish they had done more with Enrica too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Double Agent has two games - the 360 version and the XboxClassic version.

People hated DA on the 360 because it didn't involve shooting a lightbulb every 7 feet and had the audacity to require you to sneak around in the outdoors, in broad daylight, for some of the missions. Also since you're a Double Agent working with a terrorist cell, you don't get the same gadgets, which results in you throwing sticky cameras instead of shooting them.

Overall it was the beginning of an evolution away from the first three games. I personally thought it was awesome as hell and a fresh game building on an established ruleset, but I also thought Conviction was really good (albeit not the same game).

There are two types of people that buy splinter cell games: people new to the series and people who think there is some platonic ideal of stealth game and that that game should be remade ad infinitum and bitch when the game isn't Splinter Cell Chaosier-Theory.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Sarcophallus posted:

I played it on the PC and it was by far the most glitchy and crashy one of all the games for me which really ruined the game experience for me. Plus I HATED the safehouse sections simply because they were timed and I hate being rushed in a stealth game like that.

That being said, I might reinstall it and try it again and hope that things are better on a new rig or that it was patched since I've played it or something. I really enjoy the splinter cell games and don't really like that there's one I keep not recommending out of the lot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I just found out that all of the screenshots on the steam store look like they are from the Xbox version of Double Agent.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sigma-X posted:

People hated DA on the 360 because it didn't involve shooting a lightbulb every 7 feet and had the audacity to require you to sneak around in the outdoors, in broad daylight, for some of the missions. Also since you're a Double Agent working with a terrorist cell, you don't get the same gadgets, which results in you throwing sticky cameras instead of shooting them.

Or because it was hella buggy, the safehouse sections gave you basically zero direction if you wanted to get everything out of them (including THE WORST MINIGAME IN THE ENTIRE WORLD HOLY poo poo), and started the move towards a "gritter, edgier" Splinter Cell that only got worse in Conviction and has hit rock-bottom in Blacklist.

Double Agent isn't a terrible game or anything, but it was definitely a letdown from Chaos Theory.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sigma-X posted:

Double Agent has two games - the 360 version and the XboxClassic version.

Overall it was the beginning of an evolution away from the first three games. I personally thought it was awesome as hell and a fresh game building on an established ruleset, but I also thought Conviction was really good (albeit not the same game).

There are two types of people that buy splinter cell games: people new to the series and people who think there is some platonic ideal of stealth game and that that game should be remade ad infinitum and bitch when the game isn't Splinter Cell Chaosier-Theory.

I actually only played it on the 360 - and I will admit that the timed safehouse missions mentioned in another post were dumb, but I still think it really nailed the level and atmosphere design. The Shanghai mission is probably my favorite from any SC game that I've played.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
What I don't like about double agent is how slow it plays. There's lots of classic stealth waiting for guards to turn around which gets boring fast to me, and it seems like they thought climbing pipes in the earlier scs was really cool, so they put things everywhere to climb, often mandatory and with no activity going on around, only forgot to make sam actually climb at a decent pace. Like the ship level where you have to climb a maze of rigging and ledges and stuff and sam is just so slow at it. Also, the tension of things like sam upsettedly asking lambert what to do on the ship when the terrorists ask him to clean it out is a bit defused by the fact that putting everyone on the ship to sleep is apparently good enough for terrorists. If these complaints seem weighted to the early safehouse missions and ship mission it's because that's as far as I got when replaying the game, although I played it all the way through when it came out and thought it was tolerable.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sarcophallus posted:

I actually only played it on the 360 - and I will admit that the timed safehouse missions mentioned in another post were dumb, but I still think it really nailed the level and atmosphere design. The Shanghai mission is probably my favorite from any SC game that I've played.

Could you verify a thing for me? Could you run during the safehouse parts on the 360? I remember hearing that was one of the differences between PC and 360 versions of DA, and having to slowly walk around that safehouse was really loving tedious. Honestly outside of the safehouse DA was actually pretty good.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Tykero posted:

I tend to play at odd hours, though. 1am~6am Central Time (USA). My uPlay name is Tykero. Feel free to send me a friend request if you're on at that time.

DaveKap posted:

I'm trying to play with my friend on PC but no matter how much DMZ/Firewall/Port fuckery I try, we can't connect to each other. The Steam forum seems to have a thread of people complaining about it with no real solutions. Anyone here want to add DaveKap on uPlay so we can play some noob SvM?

I've added you guys on uPlay but am almost never on there. I (think) I added you on Steam but in case I friend-requested the wrong person, here's my community page. Message me on Steam to set up a game with me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Daveman/

Gazaar posted:

I came to this with a free copy I got with a video card pretty much as fresh as you can get, I've never played a Splinter Cell before!

You too.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 1, 2013

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, so I haven't played a Splinter Cell in forever. I played the original, Pandora Tomorrow a little, and loved Chaos Theory (especially Co-op), and I picked up Conviction in a Steam sale for pennies but have never even bothered to play it. Short and sweet: Is it any good, should I bother downloading? My theory was to play this and wait for Blacklist to inevitably drop in price (big title with limited appeals means an almost certain future Steam Sale option) but just wanted to canvass opinions really.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Okay, so I haven't played a Splinter Cell in forever. I played the original, Pandora Tomorrow a little, and loved Chaos Theory (especially Co-op), and I picked up Conviction in a Steam sale for pennies but have never even bothered to play it. Short and sweet: Is it any good, should I bother downloading? My theory was to play this and wait for Blacklist to inevitably drop in price (big title with limited appeals means an almost certain future Steam Sale option) but just wanted to canvass opinions really.

I loving love Conviction. It doesn't really play like a Splinter Cell since it is a more personal story . You don't have to hide bodies and you are free to kill a whole lot of people if you want, but it is faster paced and it is fun to play games with the enemies.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can write a three thousand word essay on all the things Blacklist gets wrong, but Conviction is pretty solid for what it is.

It's not really a Splinter Cell game - trading in the tense tension for a much muscular, aggressive "stealth action" style of play. It does have a pretty bangin' Co-op mode too.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
loving hell, this game is buggy. I tried remapping my movement keys to fit an azerty keyboard (seriously, how hard is it to have a game detect what keyboard layout you're using and auto-correct default key bindings to fit in with it?), and now all I can do is run right. No other direction works. And even though I'm seeing XBox360 button prompts everywhere, the game won't recognise any controller input.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Try salt tabbing. For some reason on PC my controls break constantly and the only way I've been able to fix them has been to alt tab at the beginning of Every. Single. Match. They work fine for the duration of the match but the second I hit a loading screen they break again.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Conviction is really a game about stealth combat, and not a game about stealth. I think you can ghost missions in theory, but there isn't any reward for doing so, and most of the gameplay comes down to navigating an arena doing stealth melee takedowns to earn Executions and then geting into position to execute the rest of the arena.

This leads to a lot of really badass play involving taking out a couple of guys and then running into the middle of a room with the enemies marked, getting spotted and executing them all in a second and feeling like a total bad-rear end for not having to give a gently caress.

If you have a friend that can do the co-op with you, it's super worth it, because the co-op is legitimately awesome, and I thought the campaign (while ultimately forgetable from a narrative standpoint - but I feel they all are) was pretty fun.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Alt-tab either crashes the game or forces it into windowed mode with all settings cranked to max that I can't get out unless I force quit the game.

What a terrible piece of poo poo, this game.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
Finally caved and bought this game. Probably three quarters through the game at this point and I have to say, they really nailed it this time. Easily the second best game in the series, after chaos theory.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So for those who like Blacklist, what are you digging about it?

Is it the option to ghost through a level (something that Splinter Cell has traditionally never given much thought)?

The return of legitimately complex environments with plenty of options?

Spies and Mercs? Co-op?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Why do all the lasers move? If they didn't people like Sam would basically be hosed. If he ever retires he should do security consulting and tell people to get lasers that don't move.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Narcissus1916 posted:

So for those who like Blacklist, what are you digging about it?

Is it the option to ghost through a level (something that Splinter Cell has traditionally never given much thought)?

The return of legitimately complex environments with plenty of options?

Spies and Mercs? Co-op?

All of the above. It's the first time that Splinter Cell has let you develop your own style of play in a really satisfying way, but the different levels also do a good job of stressing different aspects of the core mechanics. Occasionally it veers into minigameland, but those segments are usually short and forgivable. The narrative is definitely its greatest weakness, but that's not unusual for Tom Clancy and every cutscene is mercifully skippable.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder if I get a few points in stealth for picking the right camouflage pattern.

I want to be awarded for my fashion sense. :( My use of color in the trainyards and cuba was absolutely smashing.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The swings in this thread between "this game is literally murdering my dog right now" and "this game is one of the best so far" is amazing.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I played single player until I got to the Paladin and then just started playing Spies vs Mercs and never looked back.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Finally got past the first two meters of the game. Bodies keep flopping like fish out of water, no matter how I position them or how long I keep waiting for the lovely physics to settle down. Then there's various optional objectives in missions that I can't interact with for some bizarre reason, all I can do is stand in front of the laptop or dead drop and twiddle my thumbs. Then there's mandatory co-op missions where my randomly assigned partner (whenever I finally find one, that is) keeps running balls first into enemies and screwing poo poo up. The distance between checkpoints seems to be measured in AU and there's a billion things that've crashed the game so far (looking around, triggering cutscenes, pressing the 'distract' button, ...).

This is the most incompetently made bundle of junk I've ever had littering my hard drive. Seems like the fifth freedom extends to game franchises as well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

skooma512 posted:

Why do all the lasers move? If they didn't people like Sam would basically be hosed. If he ever retires he should do security consulting and tell people to get lasers that don't move.

Apparently it is cheaper to have one moving laser than just a simple grid of 3 or 4. You can't terrorize the world on an unlimited budget

Edit: PC chat: gently caress Ubi games ported to PC. I think double agent had a ton of problems as well when it came out for PC, their DRM is terrible, etc. I was going to get it for PC but then I remembered that, and also that most people on my Xbox live list are from playing splinter cell with anyways.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 1, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Jolan posted:

Alt-tab either crashes the game or forces it into windowed mode with all settings cranked to max that I can't get out unless I force quit the game.

What a terrible piece of poo poo, this game.

Yes, so put it into borderless window and its flawless. This should be standard SOP for any game that struggles to alt tab.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Jolan posted:

Finally got past the first two meters of the game. Bodies keep flopping like fish out of water, no matter how I position them or how long I keep waiting for the lovely physics to settle down. Then there's various optional objectives in missions that I can't interact with for some bizarre reason, all I can do is stand in front of the laptop or dead drop and twiddle my thumbs. Then there's mandatory co-op missions where my randomly assigned partner (whenever I finally find one, that is) keeps running balls first into enemies and screwing poo poo up. The distance between checkpoints seems to be measured in AU and there's a billion things that've crashed the game so far (looking around, triggering cutscenes, pressing the 'distract' button, ...).

This is the most incompetently made bundle of junk I've ever had littering my hard drive. Seems like the fifth freedom extends to game franchises as well.

While this sounds really lovely to be happening, I'll have to admit, I've encountered none of these issues and I'm on PC too.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea, I'm on pc and I haven't had any of those problems. I'm on a lovely old pc as well, but it's running a hell of a lot better than conviction ever did.

fake edit - Actually it crashed one time when I tried to alt tab out.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Well I just got out of a few hours of playing with Numptyboy and man, what a blast. Co-op is really really fun and I imagine we'll go back and play a lot of the missions again going for different styles of play and using new gadgets. From what other people are saying, I'm glad this was the first in the series I'm playing because I'm really more or less coming from Hitman and MGS as my stealth games of choice, and the reason I love those so much is the freedom it lets you have, so this was a natural fit for me.

Numptyboy and I did get absolutely handled at Spies vs. Mercs Classic, though. We could do pretty alright as Mercs but I don't think we fully hacked a single station as spies. If we can get four people to really have an even playing field I imagine it would be a lot more fun, though, so add me on Steam and send me a message if you're interested in that.

Dogen posted:

Edit: PC chat: gently caress Ubi games ported to PC. I think double agent had a ton of problems as well when it came out for PC, their DRM is terrible, etc.
This is really interesting to me - while I hate having to use uPlay, in terms of performance I've found Ubisoft games to actually be really really great lately. Far Cry 3 and this both alt-tab and fullscreen quickly and with literally no hangups whatsoever, to the point where I'm inclined to trust their big PC ports more than other publishers.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I had alt tab issues untill I put it into Fullscreen/Borderless Windowed mode (Which should be the default these days) but other than that it's been pretty much flawless. Sure, the interface isn't great and the controls aren't amazing, but I understand that these are console issues as well rather than anything specific to shoddy porting. (The control issues are more behavioral than keybinding or anything like that)

It runs really well, has a reasonable range of GFX options, and looks great even on my PC thats getting on a bit. I'd happily call it a solid port.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Davish Krail posted:

Well I just got out of a few hours of playing with Numptyboy and man, what a blast. Co-op is really really fun and I imagine we'll go back and play a lot of the missions again going for different styles of play and using new gadgets. From what other people are saying, I'm glad this was the first in the series I'm playing because I'm really more or less coming from Hitman and MGS as my stealth games of choice, and the reason I love those so much is the freedom it lets you have, so this was a natural fit for me.

Numptyboy and I did get absolutely handled at Spies vs. Mercs Classic, though. We could do pretty alright as Mercs but I don't think we fully hacked a single station as spies. If we can get four people to really have an even playing field I imagine it would be a lot more fun, though, so add me on Steam and send me a message if you're interested in that.

This is really interesting to me - while I hate having to use uPlay, in terms of performance I've found Ubisoft games to actually be really really great lately. Far Cry 3 and this both alt-tab and fullscreen quickly and with literally no hangups whatsoever, to the point where I'm inclined to trust their big PC ports more than other publishers.

Double Agent was like 8 years ago and a goddamn mess that didn't work on PC. To this day they haven't fixed an issue that caused the game to be literally unplayable as it wouldn't progress past the first mission.

Ubisoft has recently put a lot more effort into their PC ports, but that's a relatively recent thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So what's the current solution for shutting the door on people in doorways instead of attacking them? Trying a Grim mission and I'm perfectly fine aside from this contextual bullshit that causes me to shut a door on a heavy instead of sending a knife through his neck.

e: Alternately, just add me on Uplay and we can take down dudes together. ShadowSpear242 is my handle.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Would anyone like to co op with a newbie on xbox? Gt is Grem Legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

Grem posted:

Would anyone like to co op with a newbie on xbox? Gt is Grem Legend