Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

From what I learned with my lovely Kickstarter was, a video should be short and show that you have something of quality already made, show that its not an armature work, and that you have the skills needed to pull off what you are trying to do with the money you are asking for. Our original video did the Ken Levine pitch where we just talked, but we made the mistake of forgetting that we are not Ken Levine- our rockstar experience at Pax East 2013 bullshitting and networking put us in the wrong mindset.

The best advice I got was from the guy who approves all "Games" on Kickstarter:

"I looked at your project again. I can't say emphatically enough that you must show your backers more. You have to show them the game. You're not Tim Schafer. None of us are. We can't get away with talking about ideas for games like he can. The rest of us—you and I—have to show our work."

He said a lot more, and is a really cool guy. At the convention he and myself where one of three people wearing ties, which is a good hint at what I learned and failed to do- we are not accredited professionals, we as creators have to constantly show that we have the goods and the talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Rapdawg posted:

My basic question is, where do I go for the initial bit of money needed for bare art assets? I've been putting a lot of my own money in, and that will probably be the solution, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a site where someone can raise one or two hundred dollars- a micro loan. I think I'm going to avoid that and when planning out production, set up payment in installations for my artists. That way they stick to their deadlines, get their money both up front and when finished, and over-all puts a bit less stress on everyone.

You need help to find a loan for one or two hundred dollars? If that is the case, Kickstarter has (or had) a special section for campaigns needing $500 or less and having a video. Sounds like a good fit.

quote:

[*]What is the best Kickstarter video for an indie developer? I'm planning on making it two minutes long, based on the original Alien trailer, showing off the theme, art, and music of the game. Should I, the creator, appear at any point at the end in brief in order to give my project a human face?

You should absolutely show yourself in your video, right away. Put some time into that presentation: it will be the only chance you get with the majority of your potential donors. After introducing yourself, you can continue a voice over while on the screen you show off art assets, animation, etc. I don't know what you mean by original Alien trailer...is your game based on that franchise?

quote:

[*]Press Kits.. I've contacted many people but its a bit difficult to make an impression, for now I've been working on a balance between being persistent and not pushy, and making a good impression. I may be working on a small little tech demo slash mini-game to release for free when the new Kickstarter goes live, would it be smart to give them that alongside the press kit?

Could you speak to what your game actually is? That might go a long way in determining if a tech demo would be useful. A tech demo of a CYOA gamebook is probably not too interesting. A tech demo of a kart racer is a whole different story.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

CProletarian posted:

A good friend of mine has just began the funding phase of a new student-ran news/journalism site. It's a project that essentially hopes to build a news source on par with some of the national papers but ran entirely by students from a variety of backgrounds - breaking the middle class monopoly that's currently apparent in the world of journalism.

It literally just went up last night, so don't let the lack of backers put you off.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1652429182/the-holonym-a-student-run-alternative-news-source

If they're going to promise high quality, they should proofread their pitch. On a different note, why is a news organization starting in mid 2013 putting over half their budget into printing leaflets and business cards? This is not a well thought out project.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 25, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got two of the actors from the project in character, in one of the locations from the project, and was written and made by the same crew as the project. We could have done a "here are the people making it talking about it" thing, but we thought this would be a better way to show we are actually capable of doing things. The text includes the basic concept, etc. as well as more examples of everyone's work from last year. We could have made a 10 minute pitch video with all of our reels in there, but no one wants to watch that.

What people want even less is to peel through the meta-layers of your pitch to reveal your true project.

quote:

E: It might help though if I include that information in the pitch text though.

After watching your pitch video, your audience should know:

What the project is about.
Who the creative folks behind the project are.
How much it will cost (and optionally why).
Some kind of proof of work that demonstrates you know how to make a film/sew a handbag/whatever.

Don't rely on them to hunt through your pitch text for anything.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You need help to find a loan for one or two hundred dollars? If that is the case, Kickstarter has (or had) a special section for campaigns needing $500 or less and having a video. Sounds like a good fit.

You should absolutely show yourself in your video, right away. Put some time into that presentation: it will be the only chance you get with the majority of your potential donors. After introducing yourself, you can continue a voice over while on the screen you show off art assets, animation, etc. I don't know what you mean by original Alien trailer...is your game based on that franchise?

Could you speak to what your game actually is? That might go a long way in determining if a tech demo would be useful. A tech demo of a CYOA gamebook is probably not too interesting. A tech demo of a kart racer is a whole different story.

Its a Visual Novel about seven people on a ship, with one of you slowly becoming less of a people and more of a... something. I'm going to model part of the video after the original trailer for the movie Alien, although the video will show off the game more.

Basically quick ten seconds of me introducing myself, the trailer, a tech demo of the game explaining why we need the money- all in about two minutes is our goal.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
For our filmmakers, this new curated crowdfunding+VOD service https://seedandspark.com could be another nice option. They set up crowdfunding campaigns like wedding registries, so people can choose where their donations go (food, transpo, actors, etc). It also allows people to "loan" items to you in lieu of cash donation. So if you need a van for a shoot, and renting one would normally cost $200, someone can loan you the van in lieu of giving you $200. I guess it's a neat system for bartering your way into film production. I hope it takes off. The site collects a 5% fee on monetary donations (nothing on "loans") and there is no payment processor fee. Funds are released at 80% of goal amount, which is weird but whatever.

They also have a VOD service where they take a 20% fee but offer incentive programs for viewers. Pricing seems rigid at $2.99 for features and $0.99 for shorts/episodes though.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Thats really cool. I really just need some cash for a few simple art assets, the bare basics. I'll probably figure out a payment plan that just means I cut back a bit lifestyle wise, or worst comes to worst ask for my initial family donations up front.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
(probably gonna be kinda rambly, sorry)

Hiya, I'm a small-time self-taught metalworker (I post a lot in the blacksmithing thread over in DIY/Hobbies). I'm a student and unemployed otherwise, so having a way to fund potential projects I wanna do would be a fantastic help.
Because the kind of stuff I do involves making my own tools and starting with simple materials- metal sheet, wire, rod- I can do a lot with very little, relatively speaking. I've done all kiiiiinds of stuff- maille/chain jewellery, blacksmithing and silversmithing, chasing and repousse (ancient obscure technique that lets you raise 3D images out of sheet metal), I did a run of fancy forged roach-clips I sold in SA-Mart, and a run of sex-toys I sold to Toronto sex shops- the range of work I can do on a small scale is pretty decent, so there are a lot of options available to me.
I'll spare you the self-indulgent picturepostin but I threw a couple albums together- repousse stuff (http://imgur.com/a/FVLtH) and maille/jewellery stuff (http://imgur.com/a/h7LTK)

General questions:
1) How do physical, tangible projects that use donations as an ersatz pre-order system do compared to your typical fund-my-game/book/comic/album/whatever Kickstarters? Is there much of a difference or does it mostly still boil down to how good your idea is/how engaging your presentation is/how well you put the word out there?
2) Flex-funding is viable for most of my projects because in a lot of cases money would go towards buying equipment to expedite production instead of enable it in the first place (i.e. I can cut copper sheet with a jeweller's saw instead of a bench shear, it just takes 50 times longer to do so)- if I got 5 pledges for X thing I could fill them just as well as if I got 50 for X thing. What are the upsides and downsides of this approach? I really have no idea how much I could get for X or Y idea and I'd much rather have ~some~ money than gamble on ~my ideal quantity of money~, you know?

(was gonna solicit advice on project ideas but, you know, :ninja: my shoddy half-baked ideas might get pilfered, says my idiot brain :ninja: )

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The "Technology" section almost never delivers on time, but I'm not sure what other metal work would go under. I would look over what it would cost you to do all of this, and look over it a dozen more times and show it to whoever has taught you and other metal shop people because you want to have a number that you absolutely know can cover everything, then factor in the 10% Kickstarter/Amazon will take, then factor in Taxes, then factor in 30% for unforeseen issues, then make sure that if your thing explodes and your small project ends up overfunded you don't run into space issues.

That is not from my experience though, that's from lots of research in to the downsides of getting funded- some people find they have no place to store everything or that they become way too successful. Go to the post office and see how much shipping would be, do a lot of accounting stuff- its something that if you work on till you've overdone it, and even then its not enough. That being said, that is really cool stuff and I do not recommend Flexible Funding because in the future it will probably hurt your appearance of legitimacy.

Also, your name is awesome and after one of my favorite people ever. PM me about that Wu-Tang thing you did, like price info. Bong Bong.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yeah, I've been mulling all of that over- especially stuff like "unforseen success", because most of the stuff I make is cheap to actually -do- but very labour-intensive, which could very easily screw me over. The projects I'm leaning towards aren't necessarily my best ideas but those that 'scale' the best in terms of production- they're heavily-modularized, so I can knock out 10 of this component, 25 of these, 5 of those, and then cobble them together into their respective kits. I'm a Canuck so shipping is probably going to be pretty terrible by default, but I haven't seriously looked into private shipping companies yet so I might be able to do better than the ~$15-20 minimum Canada Post wants for a shipping option with some sort of tracking that ~won't~ immediately get stolen like most of the other stuff I've shipped via cheaper methods.

Right now I'm mostly conflicted between either doing a tightly-focused Kickstarter with a product designed to be produced in large quantities without undue trouble, or doing a much broader Indiegogo "help me get a proper repousse studio set up" kind of thing with both physical rewards and substantial discounts on commissioned works for funders.

And yeah I'll PM you real soon~

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Yeah, all important things that I myself looked over and messed up so I'm glad you are looking into it. You should also update your store on Etsy or whatever, you have nice stuff and it really would sell even putting Kickstarter aside.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Ambrose Burnside posted:

General questions:
1) How do physical, tangible projects that use donations as an ersatz pre-order system do compared to your typical fund-my-game/book/comic/album/whatever Kickstarters? Is there much of a difference or does it mostly still boil down to how good your idea is/how engaging your presentation is/how well you put the word out there?

Well, the highest revenue kickstarter campaigns for a long time were product based (pebble, ouya, etc). Veronica Mars' film brought creative projects back to the forefront, but I think a good product idea will gross more than a good creative idea (sans celebrity association). That being said, your pitch and your capability to market yourself and your project are key. But it's important that you decide whether you're launching a campaign to fund your blacksmithing shop (and giving out various rewards) or if you're launching a product line.

quote:

2) Flex-funding is viable for most of my projects because in a lot of cases money would go towards buying equipment to expedite production instead of enable it in the first place (i.e. I can cut copper sheet with a jeweller's saw instead of a bench shear, it just takes 50 times longer to do so)- if I got 5 pledges for X thing I could fill them just as well as if I got 50 for X thing. What are the upsides and downsides of this approach? I really have no idea how much I could get for X or Y idea and I'd much rather have ~some~ money than gamble on ~my ideal quantity of money~, you know?

The upside is you get to pocket whatever you raise. The downside is that this is demonstrates lack of a clear goal or lack of confidence in reaching a clear goal. You should decide whether you're raising money for the jeweler's saw or the bench shear. The unfortunate reality is too many flex funding projects fail to meet their goal and the project owner just keeps the money and makes platitudes about "pursuing options". This is less a concern with your project than for a movie or Detroit zombie theme park.

sklurb
Sep 13, 2012

I'm a billionaire super spy and part-time supermodel.
I just wanted to post here, that the Salvage Trader Kickstarter has reached its goal!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theprint/salvage-trader-a-2d-space-adventure

(I have been commissioned to redesign the placeholder art in this game)
http://www.sklurb.com

THANK YOU to everyone who has supported the project and gave me yet another job! :D

sklurb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I think a lot of goons have seen Animator vs. Animation at some point in their early internet expeditions and it turns out I know the animator though a friend. He is running a kickstarter in attempt to fund Animator vs. Animation 4 and I'd love to see him reach his $10,000 goal.

Looks like he is not on track to meet his goal; help this guy out I've already been forced into posting on Reddit.

Edit: Somehow he managed to get funded, I wanna say this was only thanks to the $1000 donor but he raised $11,000 total so things must have gone well in the last 3 days or something.
Kicktraq Link

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 12, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1279487510/take-an-alphabet-journey-with-the-first-wolf-back

Here's a project that probably isn't typical fare for goons, but it's about a subject that I think is important: the reintroduction of wolves into California. It's a children's picture book and an alphabet book but the illustrations are beautiful watercolor and not cartoonish and the words are things like "endangered" and "impact". The wolf that it's about is known as OR-7, and you can find out more about it here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/nongame/wolf/OR7story.html

and here:

http://www.oregonwild.org/fish_wildlife/bringing_wolves_back/the-journey-of-or7

I spend most of my time in the LP threads, but I thought I'd jump in here to give this little book a boost.

TheOnlyStarFish
Apr 22, 2010

"And the fucking pants. Goddammit, the fucking pants. again. If there is anyone on this planet who likes those fucking pants other than you 3 people, they’re probably 5 years old and laugh at anything random."
This is a project I'm working on with one of my best clients. Its a board game that comes with a comic, and a lot of other cool stuff if you pony up the cash
I'm the artist of the comic and I'm super excited about it! Sorry this is going to be long.

Cthulhu vs. The Vikings? Hell, yes! An ancient Viking game updated with an incredible story in comic form!

We have taken the ancient Viking game, Hnefatafl (or "King's Table"), and re-imagined it as a clash between Viking warriors and the minions of Cthulhu, the Deep Ones.

To tell the tale, we have written and illustrated a 32 page, full color comic and, to let you finish that story, we have created an all new game board and playing pieces so that you can play out the final battle.

But to get the comic printed and the game into your hands, we need your help!

Hnefatafl is, perhaps, the best known of the Tafl games played by the Vikings. It is a deep, strategic game with a fundamentally asymmetric design - players start out in different positions on the board, with different numbers of pieces, and with entirely different victory conditions. In many respects, it is unique among the games of antiquity.

Copies of this extraordinary game are difficult to find, however. Our goal is to create an exciting version of this ancient game, updated to appeal to the modern player.

While we thought the game was a pretty cool idea all by itself, we quickly realized that the battle needed a "backstory" -- why exactly, are the Vikings and the Deep Ones fighting?

Once we began looking into Viking history and art it did not take long before we started seeing "evidence" of conflict between the Lord of R'lyeh and the rulers of Asgard - tentacle-y faces in runestones and icons, tentacle-armed monsters fighting shirtless berserkers - all over Viking art.

Furthermore, the Viking sagas were full of battles against sea monsters and other fantastic creatures (such as the snippet taken from the Icelandic saga, The Life and Death of Cormac the Skald, that comes at the beginning of our video above).

These stories and this art forms the backdrop we used to write and illustrate the 32 page, full color comic book - Cthulhu vs. The Vikings, issue #1 - that was designed to accompany the game. You can see some samples of the art from the comic below and read more about the artist, Kris Brannock, and the writer, Sean McGrath, at the bottom of the page.

There is a crap ton of more information at the kickstarter page

TheOnlyStarFish fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TheOnlyStarFish posted:

This is a project I'm working on with one of my best clients. Its a board game that comes with a comic, and a lot of other cool stuff if you pony up the cash

This campaign looks great. Very informative, well presented, modest goal amount. I do think that you're selling things too cheaply though. Also I think the board doubling as the pouch that holds the game is awesome.

TheOnlyStarFish
Apr 22, 2010

"And the fucking pants. Goddammit, the fucking pants. again. If there is anyone on this planet who likes those fucking pants other than you 3 people, they’re probably 5 years old and laugh at anything random."

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

This campaign looks great. Very informative, well presented, modest goal amount. I do think that you're selling things too cheaply though. Also I think the board doubling as the pouch that holds the game is awesome.

Thanks! Pricing wasn't really up to me (I did give some input but I'm just the artist) so I can only assume the price is based off how much it'll coast to produce things plus a little. Oh well, hopefully they'll work in our favor.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

TheOnlyStarFish posted:

Thanks! Pricing wasn't really up to me (I did give some input but I'm just the artist) so I can only assume the price is based off how much it'll coast to produce things plus a little. Oh well, hopefully they'll work in our favor.

Looks fantastic man, really well done. TAKING NOTES.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TheOnlyStarFish posted:

Cthulhu vs. The Vikings

Going to have to go in on this

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys, we are doing a kickstarter to try and raise money for the OUYA Free the Games Fund, where the OUYA team will match donations in exchange for 6 months of exclusivity on their platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox3koSWH5SE

What is this?
Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus is a Golden Axe parody game that we started many, many years ago. It is a 2.5D brawler and we currently have two fully working levels, along with the full art assets for most of the other levels.

:siren:FULL DISCLOSURE:siren: We have done a kickstarter many years ago for our game. Some of you may or may not care about that, but I figured I may as well inform you about it. It was one of the first video game kickstarters and we made $5000 on it for artwork. It is actually a fairly sad story, as we almost had all the artwork needed for our game. We used the money to pay our artists to finish the last couple pieces required. They all eventually took the money and ran, leaving us in a terrible situation. We tried for a long time to find somebody who could match the art style with our own out-of-pocket money, but we could never do it. We eventually had to get a new artist and re-do all of our cutscene and portrait artwork.

This new kickstarter is an attempt for us to get money for artwork again, as we've been paying everything out of pocket to finish the game for our original backers. If we succeed in making $50,000 (the minimum required before the OUYA team matches donations), each backer will get a private PC version through Desura while the game is publicly available for 6 months on the OUYA. We figure that everybody wins this way, and we would be able to use the extra money to hopefully hire another programmer to get the game out quicker.

About the game
The game follows the story of these three people:

Left: Bolax the Barbarian
Middle: Gleobryn the Cleric
Right: Rose the Thief

While the Heroes of Light and Virtue do heroic deeds and save the world, these three "heroes" find themselves making a mess of everything on their quest for treasure and glory. They are very much terrible people doing terrible things.

Bosses
No brawler would be complete without bosses.

You will fight through Kobold hideouts, face crazy gnomes, crash an Ork fraternity, and crush the United Smurvian Socialist Republics, amongst other areas.

Some screenshots

If anybody has any questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thanks to anyone who wishes to help us complete our game. :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Nalin posted:

Hey guys, we are doing a kickstarter to try and raise money for the OUYA Free the Games Fund, where the OUYA team will match donations in exchange for 6 months of exclusivity on their platform.

Mentioning OUYA is a turnoff. You're not going to raise $50k, and I seriously doubt you're even going to raise your goal of $10k with this campaign. Your pitch video is webcam footage in which the neckbeard guy has very strange enunciation. As for your rewards, you're giving away the best thing you have to offer (a copy of the game) for $5.

And your story sounds fishy. You needed $3,000 to finish the game back in 2011 (artwork was 80% done by that point), but the artists took that money and ran. So 28 months later you're asking for $10,000 but really aiming for $50k (plus $50k matching from OUYA). The first comment on your new campaign is from one of your old supporters telling people to beware. I agree with that person.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Mentioning OUYA is a turnoff. You're not going to raise $50k, and I seriously doubt you're even going to raise your goal of $10k with this campaign. Your pitch video is webcam footage in which the neckbeard guy has very strange enunciation. As for your rewards, you're giving away the best thing you have to offer (a copy of the game) for $5.

And your story sounds fishy. You needed $3,000 to finish the game back in 2011 (artwork was 80% done by that point), but the artists took that money and ran. So 28 months later you're asking for $10,000 but really aiming for $50k (plus $50k matching from OUYA). The first comment on your new campaign is from one of your old supporters telling people to beware. I agree with that person.
Pretty much. Back then we made some good deals with artists and only needed that much. Since then, our portrait artist disappeared and our sprite artist was hired as a head of development at TheMobileGamer based on his portfolio (and I believe is now working at GameLoft). Our sprite artist kept working every now and then but we haven't heard from him in months by this point. Finding people who could match the artwork is just not possible at the prices we originally got. $10k is pretty much what we need to finish the game at this point. We are going to finish the game one way or another. This kickstarter is just so we can finish by PAX 2014. If we make $50,000, that will allow us to expand the game at the cost of 6 months of OUYA exclusivity. Our main goal, however, is just to get this thing done.

darkwolf
Aug 5, 2007
Here is my project: I began amassing an art collection last year with the goal of someday building a permanent museum like the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, MA.

My goal for the year is to increase the rate of acquisitions from monthly to weekly, and be able to afford archival storage for current holdings. Such a rate of acquisition is way over my head financially so I need all kinds of help. Donors will be recognized on the website for the specific artworks that they help purchase.

darkwolf fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 28, 2013

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Hi everyone,

It's a drat shame that I just now found out about this thread, but hey! It's not too late. I made a card game, and a publisher liked it! (Imagine my surprise!)

It's on kickstarter right now through Clever Mojo Games/Game Salute, and it's in its final 24 hours of the campaign. It's already over 200% funded and deep into stretch goals, with one last big one on the way to have all the art redone by a professional illustrator.

If you guys are at all interested in a Goal-oriented Deckbuilding Game about Alchemy and crating the Philosophers' Stone, I'd be grateful if you took a peek at it. We have some cross promotions with other games on Kickstarter right now also, which are shown on the page as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/magnum-opus-from-clever-mojo-games

(image hosted by my own site)

Thanks in advance, everyone :)

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005
Hello friends, I don't post in C&C anywhere near often enough but I posted here a while back about an episodic video series I create called "Mad Nation". After a long hiatus from working on it (during which I moved to Los Angeles and started my career), we have started a Kickstarter Campaign to fund the second season. I'm very proud of the campaign we've started, particularly our pitch video.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/290975840/mad-nation-season-2

The first season was very rough, but we were always able to produce good stories; our goal is to raise enough money to keep making these great stories while bringing all of the technical elements of the project up to par. I don't have many images to post here right now but here's a link to the Season 1 finale episode, and we'll also be adding more info as the campaign progresses in the form of various behind the scenes videos.

http://vimeo.com/70527827

We just launched the campaign a couple hours ago; thoughts, questions, advice, donations, and page shares are all obviously welcome! One area that I'd particularly like advice for is where to publicize our campaign; I'm very confidant in our ability to run a great Kickstarter page but I'm concerned about how and where we'll be able to show it to prospective donors.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Hi folks! I started an IndieGoGo for my short film. Here's the link

Many of us love watching films. That part's obvious, and I know there are even some of us that MAKES film.

I'm one of them. I have written about animation, most notably for Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research. Even on print I did some freelance for Hogan's Alley magazine. I'm also a cartoonist, having done illustration work, editorial cartoons, and independent comic books. I also did some animation, having been involved in Bill Plympton's "Guard Dog Global Jam", some obscure student projects, and even doing a short film called "Fishing", which had its only public screening in Boston at a pop culture convention.

One of my comics involves a character I've been developing for a while called "Koko the Blue". The main character is a teenage sorceress (originally a witch) who has to deal with her full-time job. I wrote a script early this year, which went through development, getting input from professional animation people, and then further refined from my writing partner David Winn Jr. I ultimately used the script as a comic book, which came out in June 2013. It got positive reviews, and I later did several more stories with the character.

I decided to pull everything together and make a short film based on the story. I teamed up with few friends, including animators Aaron Long (Fester Fish) and fellow SA goon neonnoodle, voice actor Kyle Carrozza (also a cartoonist, creator of Moobeard and Frog Raccoon Strawberry), and composer Kevin Bluhm, also a SA goon. I set the goal to raise $13,000 to cover the costs, which isn't too bad considering how much Hollywood studios spend.

I have more details on the IndieGoGo page. Please check it out and spread the word.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Alteil Horizons:
Think of a cross between M:TG and Final Fantasy Tactics and you have Alteil. It's a tactics game that uses cards to represent units.

Game Backstory:
Altel is an awesome game that went through a lot of acquisitions. When the original game was about to be canceled loyal fans and the original games joined up with to help form my company as we got the rights to the US game and create the game's sequel. The rights holders form Japan love what we are doing.

My Backstory:
A few years back I helped a friend start a gaming convention that now has over 11,000 people in attendance. When some of my friends who were board game designers had no online versions of their games I asked why not. When told me they had no easy means to do so, I saved up my money for a year and started my own gaming company that puts popular card games online using an automated engine I designed (which pretty much focuses around separation of concerns).

This is our flagship product, a very complicated online card game with a heavy reliance on tactics. My team has a lot riding on the success of this game any any feedback you guys could give would be appreciated!

Link here - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978065956/alteil-horizions
My favorite bit of press here - kotaku.com/famous-zelda-artist-returns-with-new-game-1255284303

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My brother and I launched a small kickstarter to produce these art clocks with the name 'Time as Moments'.

The Art Angle
Each number becomes clearly defined only once each hour before becoming once again unclear. The design reflects that time exists as moments. :yayclod:

How do you read that damned thing?!?
In the image above, it's 2 o'clock on the nose. Here's another image that makes it clear.
(click for big)
(I only made and uploaded that image after the first few comments that made me realize I really underestimated how unusual the clock looks to someone seeing it for the first time :blush:)

So it's just a clock?
Yeah but a pretty one! It's popular with people and places that like clocks better the more unusual it is and the more it matches or offsets decor. It's a perfectly functional clock, however - make no mistake.

E: we're also offering them in more economical (and fun!) kit form for the campaign.

What's the link?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819289570/time-as-moments-designer-clock

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 10, 2013

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I like to write short films in my free time and a friend of mine is raising funds to direct/produce one on Indiegogo.
The film is called "The Solipsist" and it's about a guy who every time he falls asleep, he wakes up and the details of his life have changed.
I'm pretty excited about it, because I feel that it's one of the better scripts I've written and Patrick, the director, is an incredibly talented guy.
The page is located at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-solipsist/x/131620

We've got a short video which we made on the page, which is thematically related to the final film, so you can see what we're going for and what our team is capable of.

edit: There's also links further down the page to other projects / reels showing the work of the people involved if you're interested.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mister Sinewave posted:

My brother and I launched a small kickstarter to produce these art clocks with the name 'Time as Moments'.

I think it's a neat-looking clock but the one thing I'd sort of like to see is a time-lapse (or something) of it going through a full 12 hour cycle, or at least an hour or two.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's a good point, I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

e: Definitely making a time-lapse, got it recording right now! Should be ready tonight (with any luck.)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 11, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
How do I convince a group of game developers that are making a legitimately awesome old-school RPG (and are pretty far along) not to do Flexible Funding? This is a really professional project and their funding goal is only $10k. I have no idea why they're worried about not hitting it but I need to convince them that Flexible Funding will sabotage the campaign altogether.

Just side-info before it's addressed, they're from Spain and unable to do it on Kickstarter. The IG campaign goes live on the 16th. I'll pimp the thing when the campaign starts (because it owns).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A while ago I posted (in the PYK Kickstarter thread) a campaign my cousin and a friend launched for a new model rocketry launch controller.

They had flexible funding because the backer rewards were things that could be fulfilled in ones and twos. It wasn't like other hardware campaigns where you need like $10,000 to make the injection molds and commit to some minimum quantity of units from a factory and if you can't nut up to that, the whole thing is a non-starter. They could easily make the units by hand for people in ones and twos if they needed to. (FYI their goal was 3k and they raised a bit over 5.)

Flexible funding did make sense from that perspective. But it does have a 'get what I can' stigma to it. I'd just recommend that if they really want flexible funding, then make sure the campaign makes it very clear how backer rewards will still get fulfilled even if the 'goal' isn't met.

I am not sure that's really possible if you're funding software development since the idea is to finish the thing with the funds and it doesn't really quite exist yet, but that's my advice for countering the stigma of FF.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Joe Man posted:

How do I convince a group of game developers that are making a legitimately awesome old-school RPG (and are pretty far along) not to do Flexible Funding? This is a really professional project and their funding goal is only $10k. I have no idea why they're worried about not hitting it but I need to convince them that Flexible Funding will sabotage the campaign altogether.

Just side-info before it's addressed, they're from Spain and unable to do it on Kickstarter. The IG campaign goes live on the 16th. I'll pimp the thing when the campaign starts (because it owns).
I believe Jalumibnkrayal posted some stats a while back on campaigns posted in this thread and specifically commented on the success of Kickstarters versus IG with flex funding.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Flexible funding did make sense from that perspective. But it does have a 'get what I can' stigma to it. I'd just recommend that if they really want flexible funding, then make sure the campaign makes it very clear how backer rewards will still get fulfilled even if the 'goal' isn't met.

I am not sure that's really possible if you're funding software development since the idea is to finish the thing with the funds and it doesn't really quite exist yet, but that's my advice for countering the stigma of FF.
Everyone talks about flex funding as being sketchy because someone could just take the money and run, but I think the bigger stigma to me (for projects that can't scale linearly like your model rocketry example) is that it sends the message that the people involved have poor planning/organization and no quality standards. Setting a hard goal that must be met says "I know that I can make what I want to make for this amount of money, and anything less would result in a subpar/inadequate product".

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

het posted:

Setting a hard goal that must be met says "I know that I can make what I want to make for this amount of money, and anything less would result in a subpar/inadequate product".

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Anyway I took the excellent earlier suggestion and made a (short) time-lapse video. I'm recording a longer one as well but as soon as I felt it was missing a timelapse I needed to have one up and done ASAP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVW7FUD2Gz0

The center nub appears to wobble slightly in the video but that's because it was mounted just a little off-center on this prototype clock. No movement (of any part of the clock, including the hands) is actually visible to the naked eye on the clock in normal time.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 12, 2013

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Mister Sinewave posted:

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Anyway I took the excellent earlier suggestion and made a (short) time-lapse video. I'm recording a longer one as well but as soon as I felt it was missing a timelapse I needed to have one up and done ASAP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVW7FUD2Gz0

The center nub appears to wobble slightly in the video but that's because it was mounted just a little off-center on this prototype clock. No movement (of any part of the clock, including the hands) is actually visible to the naked eye on the clock in normal time.

Yeah, this definitely helps me see what I'd be spending my money on. Looking forward to the longer time-lapse video too.

So I think this design is pretty much the coolest thing ever and am ready to plunk down the money for a dual gift pack, but had a question about international payment--do you know if the exchange rate is calculated at the time of "purchase" (now), or when the Kickstarter ends? I'm sure it won't fluctuate that much, but I just want to make sure I won't have to pay more than I expect in a few weeks because of changes in the exchange rate.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mister Sinewave posted:

Anyway I took the excellent earlier suggestion and made a (short) time-lapse video. I'm recording a longer one as well but as soon as I felt it was missing a timelapse I needed to have one up and done ASAP.

Oh wow, yeah, that helps tremendously in understanding how the clock is supposed to work, thanks. It wasn't immediately obvious from the stills what/where the hour hand was, I sort of wondered how I'd ever tell the time if it wasn't at the top of the hour, haha

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

blinkeve1826 posted:

Yeah, this definitely helps me see what I'd be spending my money on. Looking forward to the longer time-lapse video too.

So I think this design is pretty much the coolest thing ever and am ready to plunk down the money for a dual gift pack, but had a question about international payment--do you know if the exchange rate is calculated at the time of "purchase" (now), or when the Kickstarter ends? I'm sure it won't fluctuate that much, but I just want to make sure I won't have to pay more than I expect in a few weeks because of changes in the exchange rate.

Thanks for the kind words! The longer time-lapse will replace the current one on the campaign. Another 3-4 hours and it'll be done recording, but I'm headed to bed now.

Regarding exchange: The exchange is calculated whenever you actually get charged and money changes hands - this normally means it's at the end, when the payment actually goes through on your card or whatever.

$1 US is currently worth $1.03 Canadian and won't change by more than a penny or two in the next few weeks (and probably years!) :haw:

Since USD is 99.99999% of the time worth slightly more than the Canadian dollar, this means that the prices on the campaign (in CAD) are actually slightly less when converted to USD. CAD trailing slightly behind USD in value is only a little less reliable than the sun coming up every morning :v:

e: Does kickstarter show you an estimated exchange rate? Seems like that would be handy but I have no way of knowing.

ee: Made a brief looping animation, too (about 2 to 4 o'clock)
(Link to campaign)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Hi guys, just wanted to show a kickstarter I'm working on:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/escape-from-new-ork-city

It's a tabletop miniatures and card game, I really enjoy the mechanics of the Summon Jumpers gameplay mode but a more in-depth video will be released shortly.