Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

It is British slang though. :shrug:

It's not like when US people say wanker, they say it 'wonker' or anything.

So your irrational irritation is that Emma Stone violated your country's copyright on a slang word and pronounced it differently?

Alright, that fits in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Geokinesis posted:

It's not like when US people say wanker, they say it 'wonker' or anything.

Not really, though. By which, I mean it really doesn't mean the same thing in the US as it does in the UK. It's massively more offensive in the US.

In the US it has about the same weight as "oval office". If either is said to a woman, they're kind of the "nuclear option" swear words. Neither really get said to men very often.

Honestly, if pronounced the UK way rather than "twot", you'd probably be more likely to get away with it. It just sounds so silly the UK way, it would seem like you must be joking or something.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Honestly, if pronounced the UK way rather than "twot", you'd probably be more likely to get away with it. It just sounds so silly the UK way, it would seem like you must be joking or something.

Hah, probably from growing up used to hearing it a certain way means I feel the opposite.

'Twot' sounds like an excitable 8 year old trying to lightly tease a fellow classmember and mixing up twit and swot.

Film irritation:
When an adaption from a book has a character appear different to how they were described in the text.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Geokinesis posted:

It's rather a bit too old to be considered slang.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Not really, though. By which, I mean it really doesn't mean the same thing in the US as it does in the UK. It's massively more offensive in the US.

In the US it has about the same weight as "oval office". If either is said to a woman, they're kind of the "nuclear option" swear words. Neither really get said to men very often.

This is why I pronounce it both ways, depending on how I mean to be using it.

Seriously, though, is someone actually confused that the Americans say a word one way and the Brits another? Ever heard "laboratory" and "aluminum" said in a film?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

On the subject of Easy A, I heard it was like Mean Girls; It wasn't :colbert:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Going back some, but Aliens: other than having the xenomorphs to drop on planets and wipe out everyone, and never use that planet loving again, what exactly is Weyland-Yutani going to do with the aliens? At the time of that movie, they have no idea about the Queen, so even if Paul Reiser's character managed his plan perfect, at best the company would have two aliens they have no idea about. You can't train xenomorphs, they see humans as food and incubators. So seeing as the future probably has some loving awesome nukes you can use if you want to totally make a planet unlivable for humans, why the gently caress would you drop xenomorphs there period?

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

Cowslips Warren posted:

Going back some, but Aliens: other than having the xenomorphs to drop on planets and wipe out everyone, and never use that planet loving again, what exactly is Weyland-Yutani going to do with the aliens? At the time of that movie, they have no idea about the Queen, so even if Paul Reiser's character managed his plan perfect, at best the company would have two aliens they have no idea about. You can't train xenomorphs, they see humans as food and incubators. So seeing as the future probably has some loving awesome nukes you can use if you want to totally make a planet unlivable for humans, why the gently caress would you drop xenomorphs there period?

If you're looking to genetically engineer some badass super-soldiers, xenomorph traits would be awesome. But that's assuming you're doing some crazy mixing since you would still need human intelligence for a useful soldier. Using xenomorphs by themselves, not a great plan, unless you want to leave the planet alone until all the animals are dead and all the xenomorphs have starved to death.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Xenomorphs sound like a treasure-trove of research ideas, though. Just that weird super-corrosive blood alone probably has all sorts of applications in industrial processes or as a weapon. Not to mention the fact that they're a real-deal alien life form.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but isn't it implied (if not outright stayed) that WeyYu is at least fairly familiar with the xenomorphs and how they work? I'd assume they'd be used like time bombs against, say, a space station or ship you want taken out. Smuggle an egg on board and watch everything fall apart.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If you go out a bit into the expanded universe and read the comics, it transpires that alien royal jelly is :catdrugs: and massively valuable, among other things. Most of the comics seem to be about people doing misc. research on the aliens and them breaking out and skullfucking everyone though (literally, in some cases, Geiger is a twisted twisted man, and the worst twistedness DIDN'T make it off the concept design pages onto the big screen)...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
It bugs me in movies that take place in the future where the main character has some kind of obsession with what would be considered to them as ancient culture. Most recently Oblivion did this and I, Robot did as well.

These movies take place (presumably) hundreds of years in the future. It'd be akin to someone today wandering around wearing pilgrim clothes and talking in Old English just because they really really like the past! I get it, it's supposed to help you relate to characters that exist in a world far removed from your own, but it still bugs the poo poo out of me. People like that are considered a bit off even now, like the girls who are really into Victorian clothes. Tossing the same kind of person two hundred years into the future doesn't make it any less odd to the average person.

In a related theme, immortal or incredibly old characters who still act/dress like they did during their "first lifetime" for lack of a better phrase. If you're 300 years old you're not going to walk around wearing fine silk with gold buckles and a powdered wig. I don't care how much you might miss your glory days, eventually you'll friggin' learn to get with the times like everyone else.

With all the myriad problems that Queen of the Damned had, I did thoroughly enjoy seeing Lestat immediately dump his poofy nobleman clothes for late 90's goth rocker outfits.

EDIT: I'd love to see a movie with an immortal character who just loving loves being immortal. Who gets all giddy about all the new poo poo he gets to experience constantly. I'm tired of the old and tired immortal who curses his undeath.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Sep 1, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Esroc posted:

It bugs me in movies that take place in the future where the main character has some kind of obsession with what would be considered to them as ancient culture. Most recently Oblivion did this and I, Robot did as well.

These movies take place (presumably) hundreds of years in the future. It'd be akin to someone today wandering around wearing pilgrim clothes and talking in Old English just because they really really like the past! I get it, it's supposed to help you relate to characters that exist in a world far removed from your own, but it still bugs the poo poo out of me. People like that are considered a bit off even now, like the girls who are really into Victorian clothes. Tossing the same kind of person two hundred years into the future doesn't make it any less odd to the average person.

In a related theme, immortal or incredibly old characters who still act/dress like they did during their "first lifetime" for lack of a better phrase. If you're 300 years old you're not going to walk around wearing fine silk with gold buckles and a powdered wig. I don't care how much you might miss your glory days, eventually you'll friggin' learn to get with the times like everyone else.

With all the myriad problems that Queen of the Damned had, I did thoroughly enjoy seeing Lestat immediately dump his poofy nobleman clothes for late 90's goth rocker outfits.

EDIT: I'd love to see a movie with an immortal character who just loving loves being immortal. Who gets all giddy about all the new poo poo he gets to experience constantly. I'm tired of the old and tired immortal who curses his undeath.

Psst, it wasn't really to help you relate to the characters. It was to advertise modern day products.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I, Robot was only set a little way into the future I think. Like 50 or 60 years. I could believe people will still be wearing Converse sneakers then, probably won't even be something particularly noteworthy.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

I, Robot was only set a little way into the future I think. Like 50 or 60 years. I could believe people will still be wearing Converse sneakers then, probably won't even be something particularly noteworthy.

Doesn't Will Smith have a line in that movie when he puts his stupid shoes on and says "Vintage 2004" (the movie came out in 2004)?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Uh, twat isn't nearly as offensive as oval office is. It's certainly not a nuclear option, and I've really only ever heard it used to insult men or to talk about vaginas themselves in a joking manner.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Heres Hank posted:

Doesn't Will Smith have a line in that movie when he puts his stupid shoes on and says "Vintage 2004" (the movie came out in 2004)?

There's a scene with him putting them on but I don't remember him saying something like that.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Personal movie pet peeve:
Anything, and I mean anything, involving computers or "computer prodigies".
I don't believe that anyone in Hollywood has ever used a computer. The closest I saw a big name movie come to getting it right was The Social Network, in which there were numerous shots of people simply sitting in front of their computers, typing into some word processor. That's how coding works. It's not one guy slapping his hands on the keys, typing at light speed, and shouting "ONE MORE MINUTE BEFORE THEIR TRACERS CATCH US".
Of course, even The Social Network had a scene where a bunch of the students have a coding competition, in which there is constant screaming, and jumping about. Man, they had BEVERAGES. Someone could have knocked a drink onto a KEYBOARD! You just don't do that kind of thing.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpIZrOH4zc

It's this one.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Gaunab posted:

On the subject of Easy A, I heard it was like Mean Girls; It wasn't :colbert:

I've been disappointed by so many movies that have been described as: 'like Mean Girls'. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Twat's a pretty dumb sounding word no matter what way you pronounce it, unfortunately. Also, Easy A was not a very good movie in general.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Such as Mean Girls 2?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
Going to bring up the Breaking Bad acid chat again. Sorry

From what I saw the only time acid was really used to completely dispose of the body was the failed bathtub scene. All the other times it was more of a destroy any evidence thing. Cops find a 50 gallon drum full of human goop and bike parts? Good luck getting any meaningful evidence! Heck after sitting in a strong whatever acid solution for a few weeks I wonder how identifiable a body would be, yeah it's not totally gone but it's gone enough.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

There are people walking around in ill-fitting suits and ridiculous hats because it was cool in the 50's so I could buy a character wearing some old-style poo poo no problem. It would be better if Will Smith was kind of goony but whatever. I can't buy him wearing a pair of shoes that are actually 50 years old though. Sneaker collectors barely wear modern day shoes for fear of getting them hosed up, let alone antique kicks. Those things should have gone straight into the bottom of his closet with the other 14 colorways that he already bought.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
FYI the out-of-place football and future-motorcycle bits in Oblivion were a request from Tom Cruise since he loves putting that kind of mad hetero stuff in all his movies.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

UWBW posted:

Of course, even The Social Network had a scene where a bunch of the students have a coding competition, in which there is constant screaming, and jumping about. Man, they had BEVERAGES. Someone could have knocked a drink onto a KEYBOARD! You just don't do that kind of thing.

Computer programmers don't have beverages while they work? I have spent a lot of my goony life using a keyboard and I have never done permanent damage with a spilled drink.

fake edit: There was one point where I put a closed can of soda on top of my computer tower before I realized how sensationally stupid of an idea that was, but I'm not a trained professional either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

:what:

It occurs in nature. Not in substantial quantities, but it's not an "artificial element".

Hmm. I'd thought that plutonium was the first of the synthetic transuranic elements, but I guess that honor goes to Einsteinium. Plutonium has never been found in nature in any useful quantity, though, and it was actually found in nuclear reactors well before it was discovered in nature. For all functional purposes plutonium may be considered synthetic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Geokinesis posted:

Film irritation:
When an adaption from a book has a character appear different to how they were described in the text.

What about when it's on the front cover? :argh:

Esroc posted:

I'd love to see a movie with an immortal character who just loving loves being immortal. Who gets all giddy about all the new poo poo he gets to experience constantly. I'm tired of the old and tired immortal who curses his undeath.

I get incredibly annoyed by anyone who has super powers that don't make them automatically stand out and have no downside, but complains about how much they hate them and wish they were normal. Or get the option to receive such powers and hem and haw and dither about it because it's such a big decision. It's loving easy decision you useless bastard, just take the loving super powers and stop whinging.

Mast recent example I can think of is Sookie in the latest season of True Blood not just letting Warlow turn her into a super-awesome vampire-fairy. Being a vampire in that universe is already pretty awesome and has very few down-sides, but fairy-vampires are essentially all up-side. Just do it! But a lot of stuff in that show is annoying.

RyokoTK posted:

Computer programmers don't have beverages while they work? I have spent a lot of my goony life using a keyboard and I have never done permanent damage with a spilled drink.

Someone once ruined a keyboard of mine by spilling a glass of vodka and Coke on it, but they were drunk at the time. On the other hand, one of my work colleagues hates to see anyone with a drink near their computer because he ruined several keyboards that way before he stopped bringing his drink to his desk.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Now you see me bothered me a lot.
As some have said Leaving Morgan Freeman in prison made no sense, since the "evidence" against him was downright ridiculous. Same thing with the sweet burn against the insurance guy, since I'm sure that the funds would be returned to the account with just a phone call[spoiler]

Whether magic is real or not [spoiler]is also left out. Is "the eye" real? What about hypnosis? If the guy could actually hypnotize people like that then he is magical. There's also the trick that Mark Zuckerberg plays on Morgan Freeman by putting a card in his pocket; that's not a "trick", that's magic.

The whole scene where they rob the vault with the mirrors was stupid. Among other reasons because people would notice the mirror and also because they never explained how they got into the armored car to begin with.
And what about the car crash scene? Are you gonna tell me that nobody checked the body?
And how did they go from lovely street performers to major magic act? Nobody explains that either.

Yeah, it pissed me off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey now, Josh Kirby's drawing of Twoflower follows the description exactly. :colbert:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Just watched Indy Jones and the Crystal Skull again the other day. Don't ask why. I don't know.

I'd forgotten how actually ANGRY I got at the opening "give me your gunpowder, this thing is magnetized" bit was. Yeah, I know, fantasy and SF and all that. That's the stuff we're supposed to accept. Not being jellified by bouncing around in a fridge for a couple of miles, and gunpowder that apparently is now made of iron? That is bullshit.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That whole scene was so annoying because I was sure he was going to go open up the ark again and let it fry them, or bring them to some other dangerous artifact. Instead it just started this annoying trend of Indy giving all the bad guys exactly what they wanted and helping them every step of the way.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Now you see me bothered me a lot.
If the guy could actually hypnotize people like that then he is magical.

Not gonna argue with any of the others because a lot of that bugged me too, but the stuff he does is all entirely possible. Derren Brown does poo poo like that (and even crazier stuff) on a regular basis. Check out The Heist and Assassin for starters.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Esroc posted:

Well in the case of Oblivion Tom Cruise's character is just a clone of someone who lived during that era and his obsession comes from his old memories slowly flooding back. It makes sense in the context of the story and it's not just there to sell you stuff like in irobot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My other other big problem with Now You See Me is how it seemed like they just couldn't decide whether they wanted realistic magic tricks or full on bullshit.

I know its a crappy direct to DVD movie but Death Race 2 has some real straight up stupid bullshit. There's a scene early in the movie where there's a prison riot and a camera crew just happens to be there. The stupidest part is that the reporter starts reporting and you see it appearing on the TV in the warden's office, however the next scene has the reporter arguing with someone on a cellphone about airing the footage live on TV. So how was the warden seeing it?

Edit: The real irrationally irritating part of Death Race 2 is that its called Death Race 2 but its a prequel to the first movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The first Transformers is on right now, and my question is, how could anyone ever think a new Camaro is cooler than an old one?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

The first Transformers is on right now, and my question is, how could anyone ever think a new Camaro is cooler than an old one?

The people who are trying to sell you the new version of the Camaro.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Mountain Dew machine turns into a Decepticon. I would never buy soda from an evil product, Michael Bay. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Any movie, TV show, book were someone falls ill and modern medicine doesn't work, but some mumbo-jumbo holistic bullshit/ancient herbs and techniques cures them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ask instead how anyone could ever think any Camaro was cooler than a classic Volkswagen Beetle. gently caress product placement to death with a trowel, preferably an unbranded one.

• Locked thread