Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ChiralCondensate posted:

The movie was great and I still have a huge boner for jodie foster

it made zero loving sense that they'd tear down the apollo/shuttle pads to build those whatchawhozits, but w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
they shouldve sent a yosposter.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What's the new hot poo poo in scifi? I need something good to warch

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

ChiralCondensate posted:

The movie was great and I still have a huge boner for jodie foster

her legs wwere the best part of Blumpkampf's poo poo-fest Elysium

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rexicon1 posted:

What's the new hot poo poo in scifi? I need something good to warch

bang your head against a wall and then start fresh on the 90s

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

or maybe read a book?

MaddAddam comes out soonish.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

or maybe read a book?

MaddAddam comes out soonish.

can't wait for this

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TsE9uvBFnM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMThUB4vyyw

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what's that music from

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
hey is the uplift trilogy good?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

books two and three of the first trilogy are pretty good in a '90s sort of way, providing you can stomach a non-trivial amount of horny dolphins and chimpanzees

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pseudorandom name posted:

a non-trivial amount of horny dolphins and chimpanzees

mods??

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
ooooookay i may skip that one

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

startide rising is one of my favorite sf novels of all time. uplift war was pretty good. sundiver was a bit creaky (its set up as a whodunit mystery with a thoroughly out-of-left-field resolution, and the words "refrigerator laser" make the laws of thermodynamics break down sobbing)

the second trilogy is complete garbage. wordy, digressive, glacially slow-moving, a zillion pages, and none of the big questions gets resolved. so bad it pretty much put me off of reading brin for good

but yeah, read SR at least. it won the hugo and nebula for a reason

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
rip fredrick pohl

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
also yeah read startide rising, it's a bit dated (the genetically and cybernetically enhanced super spy wears a watch) but it's still very good, i reread it this year and it still holds up

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I like Pohl's gateway stuff because we're just a bunch of idiots that find spaceships we can barely operate.

I was going to say it didn't suffer from heinlein-esque super protagonist, but I just re-read some of the plot summaries and I don't know that I can say that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Lol if you don't think the shittiest nurse is doing a better job than any computer janitor ever

oh boy saving one life a day of dipshits who manage to get hurt doing unforgivably stupid things or who get sick from having genetically inferior immune systems

i save the lives of thousands of people a day by keeping poo poo running, winning the war against nature

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

startide rising is one of my favorite sf novels of all time. uplift war was pretty good. sundiver was a bit creaky (its set up as a whodunit mystery with a thoroughly out-of-left-field resolution, and the words "refrigerator laser" make the laws of thermodynamics break down sobbing)

the refrigerator laser thing doesn't bother me too much. they make it plain the ship was built with freaky alien technology.

a laser is just photons all traveling on parallel vectors, right? if you choose the right frequency, so that the sun's own gasses are mostly-transparent, those photons can carry energy away from the ship. result: if you had an endothermic process to produce those directed photons, there's no reason you couldn't dump energy that way

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
finally saw pacific rim

analog robots lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trig Discipline posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

almost everything david brin has ever written owns, including his short stories

there is one exception to that rule: don't even touch the uplift "trilogy". the other uplift novels/stories are great. brin's non-uplift stuff is great.

the "trilogy" is poisonously awful. it's like an after school special, but the spunky teenage protagonists are aliens with wheels intsead of legs and wax donuts instead of brains

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Moist von Lipwig posted:

analog robots lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Heresiarch posted:

rip fredrick pohl

I read the Space Merchants a long time ago and really like the whole satirical proto-cyberpunk thing with government just giving up against ultracapitalism and letting evil corporations run everything.

and the vat grown meat factory with a secret society living inside a lump of chicken.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

finally saw pacific rim

analog robots lol

only one tho!!!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

raruler posted:

I like Pohl's gateway stuff because we're just a bunch of idiots that find spaceships we can barely operate.

Another missed opportunity for stargate universe to be great imo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

he's obviously only got one output stream

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Another missed opportunity for stargate universe to be great imo

maybe they'll make a tuf voyaging tv series now that GRRM is such hot poo poo

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

I saw upstream color

I liked upstream color

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Crasscrab posted:

I'd like to read a short story about a hospice nurse robot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_%26_Frank

not quite the same but I found it :unsmith:. see it with your parents if you have old parents, mine loved it

MindSet fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 4, 2013

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Trig Discipline posted:

ooooookay i may skip that one

im about 2/3 thru the second one and it's mostly just a uplifted dolphin that harrasses this lady he's all hot for and nothing has come of it

e: pun not intended

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

I saw upstream color

I liked upstream color

is it easier or harder to understand than primer

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

haveblue posted:

is it easier or harder to understand than primer

i thought it was pretty easy to understand, just pay attention.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
it's not a puzzle to solve like primer. upstream color is there to be experienced, man

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

raruler posted:

bunch of idiots that find spaceships we can barely operate.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Robert Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVphAuRo7Q

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

rented oblivion just for the visuals. drat pretty movie, not completely terrible, but what a total copout ending. wasted potential everywhere

have to convince the wife to watch upstream color with me now. (didn't even try with oblivion because it's a "guy film".) how depressing is it, anyway? she's dealing with some family issues and she's trying to stay away from sad stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that really makes me mad cause the original is so damned good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

rented oblivion just for the visuals. drat pretty movie, not completely terrible, but what a total copout ending. wasted potential everywhere

have to convince the wife to watch upstream color with me now. (didn't even try with oblivion because it's a "guy film".) how depressing is it, anyway? she's dealing with some family issues and she's trying to stay away from sad stuff

oblivion is for anyone who missed all of scifi since the 80s. its nothing new, but its well done and that's respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

good lord that trailer looks awful

• Locked thread