Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've never heard of a trailer that said "In Post Production" before, but here is a new trailer for Terry Gilliam's upcoming film The Zero Theorem, featuring Christoph Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT296jh8xg

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It kind of reminds me of Brazil.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vagabundo posted:

It kind of reminds me of Brazil.

Absolutely. Brazil is loving awesome and more Brazil-esque movies should exist.

EDIT: I knew I had seen Mélanie Thierry somewhere before. She was in The Legend of 1900 with Tim Roth. I haven't seen that in ages, too. drat.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 30, 2013

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I've never heard of a trailer that said "In Post Production" before, but here is a new trailer for Terry Gilliam's upcoming film The Zero Theorem, featuring Christoph Waltz

The "In Post Production" part is because it's a sale trailer for studios that leaked. Wasn't supposed to be shown to the general public.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wow, that's the 90s-est movie I've seen since the 90s... excited to see this craziness.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Harry Knowles got the first review of Zero Theorem, and he was (as usual) entirely gushing with praise: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63845?utm_source=full-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=reviews&utm_campaign=1307_RSS

If it is even half as good as the review says, then it will be amazing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Steve Yun posted:

This may be the first movie I see with Christoph Waltz in it where I don't feel like he's going to jump out of the screen and strangle me. I actually kind of hope that it's in 3D.

Is anyone else getting a vibe like "The Fountain" out of that lunacy?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Strange Matter posted:

This may be the first movie I see with Christoph Waltz in it where I don't feel like he's going to jump out of the screen and strangle me. I actually kind of hope that it's in 3D.

It's not in 3d and Gilliam says he has no interest in doing 3d.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/terry-gilliam-zero-theorem-interview

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Oh and it has that guy from Kingdom of Heaven too (can't remember his name) looks loving awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think you mean Knox Harrington, the video artist.

Radiohead's Creep is turning out to be pretty good trailer music.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everything in its Right Place and How to Disappear Completely are fantastic too.

Really, Radiohead is good for everything in every way because Radiohead is that good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

One day I hope Christoph Waltz and John Malkovich get to play brothers in a movie.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bugblatter posted:

The "In Post Production" part is because it's a sale trailer for studios that leaked. Wasn't supposed to be shown to the general public.

It certainly looks like it, it looks cheap, like it's a British TV show instead of a movie. Just goes to show how much of the magic happens in post, though you can already tell it's 100% Gilliam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently somebody is worried that people won't go to see The Grandmaster because they keep adding American names to it. Like the first trailers just mentioned it was from Wong Kar Wai but then they started calling it "Martin Scorcese Presents:" and just now saw another commercial stating that it was "Martin Scorcese and Samuel L Jackson Presents"

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently somebody is worried that people won't go to see The Grandmaster because they keep adding American names to it. Like the first trailers just mentioned it was from Wong Kar Wai but then they started calling it "Martin Scorcese Presents:" and just now saw another commercial stating that it was "Martin Scorcese and Samuel L Jackson Presents"

Honestly it doesn't make sense to me why they are pushing this one so hard. It's by no means the action film they are trying to make it out to be, and as far as Wong Kar Wai films, it's one of his weaker.

They should have pushed Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey film that came out earlier this year. Even though some of the stuff may be lost in translation it's such a fun and crazy film, and Kung-Fu Hustle was pretty popular here, so they could have used that as the selling point.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Harvey Weinstein's releasing it. Of course he also cut 15 or so minutes out of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Antti posted:

It certainly looks like it, it looks cheap, like it's a British TV show instead of a movie. Just goes to show how much of the magic happens in post, though you can already tell it's 100% Gilliam.

Uh. No. That trailer is 99.9% indicative of how the movie will look in the final product (except for a few f/x scenes). There is nothing cheap about it though. It's very Gilliam. Much of Gilliam's magic always happens on set and not in post.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Uh. No. That trailer is 99.9% indicative of how the movie will look in the final product (except for a few f/x scenes). There is nothing cheap about it though. It's very Gilliam. Much of Gilliam's magic always happens on set and not in post.

That trailer isn't finished though. It still has a burn-in and is leaked. In finishing you clean up a trailer's color and sound a lot and polish it up a lot before it goes out into the world. That trailer still looks rough.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

That trailer isn't finished though. It still has a burn-in and is leaked. In finishing you clean up a trailer's color and sound a lot and polish it up a lot before it goes out into the world. That trailer still looks rough.

this isn't the first time it's leaked, either. It leaked a month or so ago, and it's the same trailer, with the same "DO NOT RELEASE" watermark. It's just to drum up interest for the film, and to nab a distributor, I think.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Oh there might be some tweakage, but it'll almost only be some moderate color correction and finishing some f/x shots and that it's a bit odd to think that minor tweakage will take it a huge leap from "British TV Show" to "Feature Film." I don't think it looks like a cheap British TV show anyway so I find that all a little odd. Anyway.. my point is that I think what we see in that trailer will be almost 99% what we see on the final screen.

Also that "ah. no." I posted last night seemed really assholish... didn't mean for it to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not exactly trailer stuff, but Danny Trejo has said that the mooted title for a final film in the Machete trilogy is Machete Kills Again ... In Space!

If they go with that, I am in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Oh there might be some tweakage, but it'll almost only be some moderate color correction and finishing some f/x shots and that it's a bit odd to think that minor tweakage will take it a huge leap from "British TV Show" to "Feature Film." I don't think it looks like a cheap British TV show anyway so I find that all a little odd. Anyway.. my point is that I think what we see in that trailer will be almost 99% what we see on the final screen.

Also that "ah. no." I posted last night seemed really assholish... didn't mean for it to.

Nah, a polished and clean grade can make a huge difference, as can a tighter cut. That does look rough, and I'd expect the final print to look much more "professional."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly trailer stuff, but Danny Trejo has said that the mooted title for a final film in the Machete trilogy is Machete Kills Again ... In Space!

I hope so. Who doesn't like live action Saints Row 3/4?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hated Saints Row 3. I have no idea why anyone likes it, either, it's a pitiful excuse for a game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Machete in a glass dome helmet, still wearing just a vest over his bare chest, only it and his pants are silver.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Machete needs to become a pop culture icon and then President of the USA first, which is a totally plausible direction the series might go in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bugblatter posted:

Nah, a polished and clean grade can make a huge difference, as can a tighter cut. That does look rough, and I'd expect the final print to look much more "professional."

Well a tighter cut is one thing. But if you think it already looks like a "cheap British TV show" then no amount of a polished grade is going to fix that. That's my point. I'm very very familiar with grading and what it can do.

edit: And for content! An actual clip from the movie. It looks loving amazing and I can't wait:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/30/terry-gilliam-zero-theorem-exclusive/

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 2, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

I hated Saints Row 3. I have no idea why anyone likes it, either, it's a pitiful excuse for a game.
You're a pitiful excuse for a human being if you don't like Saints Row 3 :colbert:

Hollywood needs more completely absurd movies that are over-the-top in every way. Machete Kills looks like a drat good time at the movies, and if they go to space for the next one...well then it's already confirmed that I'll be laughing my rear end off the entire way through it.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
:nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOLLKM7-lL0
It's like this trailer was custom made for me

Edit: Now that I've seen a clearer quality trailer (which I've included above) there's some NWS material in here. So fair warning.

justlikedunkirk fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 4, 2013

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a96ELbUeHA

Airbag chair got a laugh from me. Rose Byrne using her real accent?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm very very familiar with grading and what it can do.

I don't want to turn this into a dick waving contest, but so am I. Quite a few goons are in the industry, Kiimo even works with trailers for a living. The footage in that trailer could, and I suspect will, look a lot cleaner.

In the clip you posted the production looks great, except the compositing is rough and the grade isn't even completely even consistent in exposure between shots. Those are two things that make a huge difference in the apparent production values, and both could likely be fixed by release (At least the second certainly will).

Also, one of the main identifying traits of BBC productions to me is their garish and sloppy grading jobs, so it's perfectly likely that a final clean grade will make the difference between "BBC level" and "major motion picture."

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 3, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bugblatter posted:

I don't want to turn this into a dick waving contest, but so am I. Quite a few goons are in the industry, Kiimo even works with trailers for a living. The footage in that trailer could, and I suspect will, look a lot cleaner.

In the clip you posted the production looks great, except the compositing is rough and the grade isn't even completely even consistent in exposure between shots. Those are two things that make a huge difference in the apparent production values, and both could likely be fixed by release (At least the second certainly will).

Also, one of the main identifying traits of BBC productions to me is their garish and sloppy grading jobs, so it's perfectly likely that a final clean grade will make the difference between "BBC level" and "major motion picture."

Yeah I think the conversation has split into two different paths really (and I could have been clearer). Of course I know a good grade can make a difference. I'm not arguing that, but rather what made him think that film looks like a cheap british tv show and whether that was going to be fixed by just cleaning up the grade. I assumed he was referring to Gilliam's style which always looks looser and uses lots of handheld wide angles and such and I guess could appear "cheaper" to some. So that's why I was saying that not much will change between that trailer and the final result. Even the grade is going to be somewhat relatively close to what we see there. Of course we're also seeing a leaked standard def trailer, so the quality overall isn't great.

I guess I just didn't see anything "BBC Level" in there (even with its low quality) and that I figured, if someone did, then a refined grade was probably not going to make it look that much different to them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When you guys say "BBC Level" do you mean like the modern Sherlock or older like I, Claudius?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's something weird I heard from a coworker. He was at the movies and they played a trailer for The Fifth Estate (the Wikileaks movie.) He said people started shouting "traitor" at the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Were they Australian?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nope, this was in America which why it was so weird. (Although the coworker who told me this story is British.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red_Museum posted:

"Why are you dressed up as Robert de Niro?"
Guy dressed as Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver: "You talkin to me?"

Have to admit, that made me laugh.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Peanut President posted:

"Why are you dressed up as Robert de Niro?"
Guy dressed as Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver: "You talkin to me?"

Have to admit, that made me laugh.

It's even better when you watch it again and realize there's a second Robert de Niro (Meet the Faukers?) next to him.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zenintrude posted:

It's even better when you watch it again and realize there's a second Robert de Niro (Meet the Faukers?) next to him.

That's enough to make me go see this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Red_Museum posted:

I've never heard her use an accent before so I don't know where you're going with that.
Then again, I've only really seen her on Damages and, unfortunately, Insidious.

The movie looks funny as hell though, despite the really dumb premise.

• Locked thread