Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Long wedding planning stress vent/rant, apologies in advance:

Can anyone with experience with getting their hair/makeup done for a photo shoot weigh in-- how soon before the ceremony should I be dressed with hair and makeup done? The ceremony is on a Saturday at 1 pm in a park/gazebo.

I'm just trying to think through how to structure the week before leading up to, and the day itself in terms of what needs to get done and who needs to do what where and bring things where...We're going to have hundreds and hundreds of balloons that need inflating, there's food and drinks to prepare, decorations to hang up, and getting everything ready to go even for just a measly 25-30 people to turn up is proving overwhelming. I see now why people pay planners--I'd hate to have to do this more than once unpaid.

I've got the week off leading up to the day, and we're coming from interstate to try and frantically pull it all together. It's going to be in my folks' hometown, and I'm visiting them on two weekends over the next few weeks before then (105 days to go! yikes) to try and marshal the troops into position. Right now I've just about worked out that I'm going to have to delegate the vast majority of the last minute set-up on the morning of the big day to other people, since I can't see this hair, dress and makeup nonsense for the cameras being done and dusted in anything short of 1.5 hours. Ceremony is at 1pm. If I get my hair put up by 10.30am, will that be too long in between do you think? I'd hate to have adverse outdoor conditions unravel everything by the time the cameras really get flashing. Ugh. I know at least eyelash extensions and eyebrow fixing-up can be done a few days beforehand. Manicure the day before, or can I risk a few days before if they end up being fake nails? How hard wearing are the drat things? I'm not expecting to be super rough on my hands, though longer than usual nails will probably make balloon inflating nigh impossible.

Speaking of which, the balloons only last 8-12 hours in a practical sense, right? So the majority will have to be inflated in the wee, wee hours of the morning--and then transportation of said balloons becomes an issue! It's almost tragicomic in its entirety. Anyone have any experience self-inflating balloons for a wedding? With a helium/balloon gas tank I mean. How long does it take to do? How many people would you need to do about 200-300 or so? We have twice as many, but the gas for 600 balloons would be prohibitively expensive.

My fiance seems relatively unruffled about this, though I suspect it's mostly because he has no real idea about what might be involved. He waves it off saying it'll get done somehow. I wish I had his confidence. I've already started having anxiety nightmares about turning up without my vows, or without my hair or face done, or not wearing the dress that I went to so much trouble to get. And it's only going to be a very small wedding with no formal sit-down reception!

Needless to say I'm doing all of the battleplans (really feels like I'm organising a war campaign) on my own--I refuse to allow my mother any say because that'll invite drama, and noone on my fiance's side is interested in helping plan, nor do I have any friends that I can ask for advice. None of them are close enough or married/getting married or remotely interested in such things. My uncle and brother are doing their best to help support me though, thank goodness. My uncle is a dear saint who is offering to pay for a backup afterparty venue if my parents' property falls through, and he brought back yards and yards worth of cheap colourful fabric from overseas for us to make bunting out of. The living room is currently absolutely awash with tiny bits of fabric scraps, hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

compshateme85 posted:

That's good advice. We're getting married on Friday and we never did an engagement session so I think we're just going to forgo most posed shots, except maybe ones with immediate family if they get insistent about it. I like our photographers non-posed shots better anyway and she is a friend from way back. I'm not super into this wedding, I just went along with it because my fiance wanted it, as did both our moms. So if the photos aren't perfect, I really don't care. I just don't want to get flak about not doing the traditional shots 1,5 and 10 years down the road.

If this is the case, I'd got with maybe one posed wedding party shot, one pose with you and your fiancee and then do the rest candid. Then you're happy, and you have your bases covered.

nyerf posted:

Can anyone with experience with getting their hair/makeup done for a photo shoot weigh in-- how soon before the ceremony should I be dressed with hair and makeup done? The ceremony is on a Saturday at 1 pm in a park/gazebo.

Unless you've got a photographer coming to the house, just be ready when you're ready. You're the bride, they can't start without you.

Just keep in mind that a lot of problems that seem gigantic are going to be really miniscule in the eyes of others. Some things are going to go wrong and most of them, the guests won't have a clue about. Focus on relaxing and having a little fun. Good luck.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 18, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

nyerf posted:

Hire a day-of wedding coordinator if you think it's too much to handle by yourself. That's the entirety of their job-- to get all that poo poo organized and done behind the scenes while you get ready. They're like the much-needed clone of yourself for the wedding day.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
To save yourself some pain with the balloons, see if you can find some with a plastic self-sealing valve inserted into them or buy the valves separately and insert them at your leisure before you get your nails done. They save SO much time when actually inflating the balloons if you're using a helium tank--some even come with ribbon pre-attached and wrapped around the neck of the valve like these. No tying required, all you have to do is slip the valve over the tank's valve and fill that sucker up.

The small disposable helium tanks you can get at Party City are good for about 30 latex balloons, large ones are good for 50. To wrangle them for transport, shove inflated ones into large garbage bags before you throw them into a car/van/whatever.

(I am not fond of balloons but those valves make them so, so much easier to put up with)

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

compshateme85 posted:

My fiance and I are thinking of forgoing posed pictures entirely. We just want our photographer to wander around and take pictures of ceremony and reception. All the posed pictures from other people's weddings that we've seen just look kind of fake. Do you think we're making a mistake?

Looking back, I would have to say that the best decision we made regarding wedding planning was hiring our videographer. I say this for many reasons: for starters, we found this guy on Vimeo after doing a quick internet search for videographer's local to our wedding location. This "guy" turned out to be a group of young students with unbelievably low rates and obvious talent. Anyways, to make a long story short, these guys were totally non-obtrusive and simply acted as a storytellers for our wedding day. This turned out to be especially awesome I was able to freeze frame my favorite parts from what they captured on film and I then turned those screen-shots into amazing and totally unstaged photographs. In conclusion, this proved to be an incredibly easy way to get more bang for our buck(s)--we got a film crew and wedding photographs for the low rate of $500 (this is in the Washington, D.C. area). Here is the "wedding trailer" they sent to me (only a week after my wedding!!!) and I wanted to share it with all of you because I had been watching this thread like a hawk ever since our engagement and you all became like family to me :3:: http://vimeo.com/71767882

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Edit: thought I lost my ring, we found it on a counter in another room. No clue who moved it there.

Jamais Vu Again fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 3, 2013

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I am so upset. I took my engagement ring off Friday while I was showering, and set it on the back of the toilet. I forgot to put it back on, and so I texted ~*~*my fiance*~*~ to put it somewhere safer. He forgot, and apparently the motherfucking goddamned rear end in a top hat cat knocked it into the toilet.

I hadn't even gotten it resized yet!

:( :( :( If you haven't flushed the toilet since then, you can try sticking your hand down the curve. Maybe it didn't fall all the way in. :( If not, I hope you have insurance on the thing.

The first thing I did when my fiancé gave me the ring was to go on Amazon/eBay/Etsy and bought a ring holder explicitly for the kitchen sink and the bathroom (like this one). The rule is if the ring is off, it better be on the ring holder. You should think about picking up a ring holder for yourself if you're going to regularly take it off for showers and such.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The ring style she really really liked was going for ~$1500+ online, and I couldn't find a jeweler here in Colorado that didn't think we were gutter trash for wanting a CZ as a center stone.

One call to an aunt in NY who gets custom work done all the time and the ring is custom made, with a CZ center and 5 small diamonds in the channel for more than half off the internet prices.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

I'm thinking of flushing the cat down the toilet to get it. No, not really. I think it's been flushed, but I can't remember - I work 12 hour night shifts and I was pretty out of it when I came home Saturday morning. We're using the other bathroom for now and I'm calling a plumber in the morning and hoping for a miracle.

Otherwise, my ring wasn't even $500 and so mon amor is willing to get another one after we save up a bit.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Ah that sucks :( Did you look REALLY hard all around the bathroom? Rings (well, any small items really) can bounce and slide an amazing distance away from where they were dropped.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

razz posted:

Ah that sucks :( Did you look REALLY hard all around the bathroom? Rings (well, any small items really) can bounce and slide an amazing distance away from where they were dropped.

Quoted for truth.

I lost my college class ring for about a week, turns out it fell off my bedside table and bounced the entire way to under the center of my bed. I was tearing apart my apartment for days trying to find it until I was looking under my bed for something else and found it.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

We found it! I'm so happy!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Where was it??

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Fiancé and I have been thinking about vacation rentals for at least our dinner/reception, possibly ceremony since we're meh about most other things since they seem boxy and/or pricey. The vacation rental idea seemed like a good middle ground for being able to "build you own" wedding with DJ catering etc.
Were looking to stay local in our state and having probably 200 people present.

Any big things to know or look out for with this? We're just starting to look at all the big 4+ bedroom houses with either beachfront or big yards.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The only major problem that might arise with that is noise ordinances. People in nearby houses might not be thrilled with a 200 person party going on next door.

Our venue is a bed and breakfast and we have to shut the reception down at exactly 11 PM due to local noise ordinances-- and that's with an indoor reception. I'm assuming you guys are planning an outdoor event so your noise level is going to be pretty high, especially if you're near water which makes noise travel like crazy.

Definitely get something in writing from the landlord allowing you to host a wedding at the property before you do anything else.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years and it's time. I've started ring shopping and...oh god what am I doing so many terms, options, settings, jewelers. Sorry I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the whole process. Are there any DFW goons that can recommend a jeweler that can hold my hand and walk me through this?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Simple. Small. Quiet. Preferably on the winter solstice and outside with a bonfire because it will be cold and bonfires are awesome. I don't think we're asking for much but apparently I am very wrong. Family... why do we have relatives again?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Esmerelda posted:

Simple. Small. Quiet. Preferably on the winter solstice and outside with a bonfire because it will be cold and bonfires are awesome. I don't think we're asking for much but apparently I am very wrong. Family... why do we have relatives again?

A major lesson I've taken away from planning with opinionated family members is decide first, inform later. And have all the contracts solely in your name so only you can change them.

It's much faster and less painless to tell family "We're doing this." rather than "We think we're gonna do this..." Eliminates a lot of the arguing. When we changed the date I called all of our vendors and got them re-booked THEN called my family and was like "oh by the way the wedding is in January now". There was a lot of sputtering and expletives but after a few days they calmed down and accepted it. If I'd called them first and told them we were leaning towards a date change there would be an immense amount of arguing and novels of emails about why we shouldn't change the date and blah blah blah, but since we just went ahead and pulled the trigger there was not a thing they could do to change it. It was much easier to respond to every increasingly ridiculous guilt-trip attempt with "The wedding is happening in January. It's up to you whether you come or not." rather than having to rationalize our decision about 800 times.

And if they whine about "not being included" they probably didn't really want to be included anyway. I've had a ton of people offer to "help". All they want to "help" with is looking at pictures of dresses and flowers and dicking around on Pinterest, not any of the actual boring tasks like reserving hotel rooms and such.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 28, 2013

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
We aren't even asking for help, we're doing it ourselves and telling a few select people when and where to be. Unfortunately this is not a "good plan" as far as family is concerned. We haven't truly thought about what the day will mean or what we will really want or (aimed at me) how it may be regrettable if we don't do something bigger. We're in our late 30's, I'm fairly certain that we know what suits us but whatever.

I have no interest in a traditional, religious or any wedding that involves attendants. No expensive dresses or table settings or anything like that because it isn't me. We want our bonfire, our brother and sister as witnesses and maybe our mothers. Then we want to have a nice dinner and maybe eat some cake before going to wherever we'll spend that night and having married people sex.

Simple. Quiet. Not so easy :(

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
How do I convince the girlfriend that being married isn't a loss of individuality or freedom?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I think you're going to need to go to e/n for that one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseontheloose posted:

How do I convince the girlfriend that being married isn't a loss of individuality or freedom?

Without getting into the emotional aspects, marriage is defined as a loss of financial individuality as far as finances are concerned.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mooseontheloose posted:

Tell her that, as a woman, she has no right to expect either of those things. She is chattel and, more importantly, legally a child until she enters into a marriage contract and legally becomes a man's property. Then, as a piece of property, she has the right and ability to consider things like "individuality" and "freedom".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

Tell her that, as a woman, she has no right to expect either of those things. She is chattel and, more importantly, legally a child until she enters into a marriage contract and legally becomes a man's property. Then, as a piece of property, she has the right and ability to consider things like "individuality" and "freedom".

I feel she will appreciate that view me being white and her being black.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly? You don't. At least, it probably isn't something you can convince her of rather than something she has to see on her own. I never wanted to get married for that same reason, because I was young and all the married couples I had ever known at that point (parents, friends' parents, aunts/uncles, etc) were dull and tied down to each other. In retrospect it was probably more that they all had kids and mortgages at that point than just being married. It wasn't until my peers started getting married, and I saw that they kept on being the same awesome people anyway that I stopped thinking your freedom and personality died when you signed the paper. In most cases things just got better for them and seeing that made me want the same commitment in the future. In fact when my boyfriend proposed earlier this year, after I read this entire thread and went crazy on The Knot and he was overwhelmed as a best man in his friend's wedding at that time... We decided the whole thing was too much work and eloped a month later. It helped that we had been living together for years already so nothing in our day-to-day lives really changed. If you have any married friends hang out with them & let them tell her it's not a bad thing. Though it sounds kind of cold, you could mention that financially and stability wise it makes a lot of sense if you want to be together for a long while. Sharing insurance, tax breaks, being able to visit in the hospital if there is an emergency, life insurance if one of us croaks, and we have both been taken more seriously at work by saying MY HUSBAND/WIFE instead of boyfriend/girlfriend.

Though we do want to have a "wedding" party next year sometime so I'm still reading this thread and picking out bunting :colbert:

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

jenelle posted:

It helped that we had been living together for years already so nothing in our day-to-day lives really changed. If you have any married friends hang out with them & let them tell her it's not a bad thing. Though it sounds kind of cold, you could mention that financially and stability wise it makes a lot of sense if you want to be together for a long while. Sharing insurance, tax breaks, being able to visit in the hospital if there is an emergency, life insurance if one of us croaks, and we have both been taken more seriously at work by saying MY HUSBAND/WIFE instead of boyfriend/girlfriend.
This. Do you guys live together? Although living in Glorious Socialist Canada, myself and my future husband are pretty much married already--he's on my health benefits, we're each other's life insurance beneficiary, we have joint assets and file our taxes together. Also, you seriously can't stay with your partner in the hospital in the States if you're not married :psyduck:? Every time either of us has been in the ER here, we've just said "I'm so-and-so's boyfriend/girlfriend" and they give you a family pass and show you to the room. Hell, when I had emergency surgery this year, they gave my boyfriend a little cot so he could sleep while I was in recovery.

In other news, my boyfriend (though I guess I should start calling him my fiancé now, but that still feels weird) blew the lid off out semi-secret future nuptials at his sister's wedding this weekend. We had decided a little while back that we were going to get married, had told our parents and a couple of friends, but decide to wait to get "officially" engaged until after his sister was married. I just didn't expect him to announce it to his whole family 30 seconds after the ceremony was done! And yes, he did OK it with his sister first, she thought it was romantic.

So...gonna go ring shopping soon (I want to pick out my own ring), tell everyone, and start the planning madness in earnest. Meep!

Careful Girl
Oct 15, 2012

The Money Cat can...
Auurggh, why do all photographers insist on taking "backstage" pictures? I don't want to have photos of me getting ready for the wedding *grumbles* I am tempted to add a warning on each email I send to the prospective photographers that say: "The groom and bride are shy and pretty anti-social. If pestered too much, they will hiss and bite".

Esmerelda posted:

Contrary to what one would think, it seems the wedding is for the relatives and not for the couple. :(

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Careful Girl posted:

Contrary to what one would think, it seems the wedding is for the relatives and not for the couple. :(

It's absolutely about the relatives. Essentially, it's not only the joining of the couple but of two families. It's a big social event more than anything. It's entirely possible to have a small foofy bonfire wedding or whatever, but also have a big party after the fact so people can celebrate with you. Said party does not have to have big dresses or table settings or cost tens of thousands of dollars or whatever. My cousin got married in a small ceremony down in Florida with just the immediate family on both sides, then a few weeks later had a big, fairly causal party for everyone else, making everyone happy.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

It's absolutely about the relatives. Essentially, it's not only the joining of the couple but of two families. It's a big social event more than anything. It's entirely possible to have a small foofy bonfire wedding or whatever, but also have a big party after the fact so people can celebrate with you. Said party does not have to have big dresses or table settings or cost tens of thousands of dollars or whatever. My cousin got married in a small ceremony down in Florida with just the immediate family on both sides, then a few weeks later had a big, fairly causal party for everyone else, making everyone happy.
"Foofy"? Really?

This is about us. It's always going to be about us. If, and this is a big if, family wants to help us with organizing a gathering of some sort then great. But that's not what is being offered. What is being expected is that we take care of everything, including paying for multiple "celebrations", and we're not going to go do it.

Not every family situation is happy and wonderful and full of helpful people.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Esmerelda posted:

"Foofy"? Really?

This is about us. It's always going to be about us. If, and this is a big if, family wants to help us with organizing a gathering of some sort then great. But that's not what is being offered. What is being expected is that we take care of everything, including paying for multiple "celebrations", and we're not going to go do it.

Not every family situation is happy and wonderful and full of helpful people.

I share this sentiment. My future MIL has been throwing a poo poo fit that me and my fiance are getting 50% of the invites, she gets 25% and my family gets 25%. We have just been telling her if she wants a bigger headcount, fork out more money, but we aren't giving you any of ours. She has now bumped up her head count and my family's head count by 20 because she needs to have everyone there to flaunt us.

She has a big "keeping up with the Joneses" issue even though they don't make nearly enough money to do so. That's a whole other chapter I don't feel like digging into though.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

couldcareless posted:

She has now bumped up her head count and my family's head count by 20 because she needs to have everyone there to flaunt us.

She has a big "keeping up with the Joneses" issue even though they don't make nearly enough money to do so. That's a whole other chapter I don't feel like digging into though.

How did she do this? Did she order a bunch of invitations and send them out herself, or is this just her list that she gave to you guys? If it's the latter, I would just invite the original 25% and throw the rest of her list in the trash. If it's the former, then you might have potentially bigger problems looming ahead.

So I have officially 35 days until the day and:

1) I can't get a hold of the officiant that we booked. 3 phone calls, 4 emails, no response. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and left a voice message of "hey, i hope everything's all right, I understand if there is an emergency, please just text or email me so that I can make backup plans" and then I searched for her Facebook page and she's partying and dicking around as of last week. And she's not a friend; this is her actual business.

2) The photographers we hired were just starting out when we found them; now they are charging a lot more for their services than what we agreed to in the contract and I get the feeling they are butthurt and keep hinting at "extras" that we could add to our contract for more $ that are already there to begin with in the original contract.

3) My mother has heard through the grapevine that a bunch of my relatives are coming that didn't RSVP. One of my friends/bridesmaids keeps flip flopping on whether she can make it or not (she is coming from out of town) and I gave her a deadline of Wednesday to figure her poo poo out so I can plan for her and now she's also butthurt.

4) No one made plans for my fiance's nephew (also coming from out of town) and so we have to buy him a plane ticket and arrange for all of his travel and attire. There are at least 7 other relatives including uncles, aunts, and close blood relatives that are coming from the same city, and no one thought to check on him and see if they could arrange to come together. Now we have to buy an unaccompanied minor ticket because everyone forgot about the kid, which they have been doing his entire life, including my worthless future brother-in-law, who he sees once a year, tops. I'm almost tempted to keep him when/if he gets here but his mother (who is 15 years older than him) will not hear of someone else raising the kid that she doesn't want to.

5) My relatives are grown adults who are tiny babbys that can't do things like make their own hotel arrangements, or find a way to get to the airport by themselves. ("You're going on our honeymoon the next day? But what about MEEE? How will I get home? What taxi do I call? How would I find a number for that? How do I know how much they will charge?"--Those last two are honest to God questions that were said out loud.)

couldcareless and I need to get a beer. Learn from my mistakes, goons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why is it that seemingly all engagement rings have some sort of diamond on them? What's wrong with using a birthstone, a Peridot for instance?

Would my potential fiancee hate me forever if I gave her a Peridot engagement ring instead of a diamond?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

QuarkJets posted:

Why is it that seemingly all engagement rings have some sort of diamond on them? What's wrong with using a birthstone, a Peridot for instance?

Would my potential fiancee hate me forever if I gave her a Peridot engagement ring instead of a diamond?

Uh it's probably best to figure that out before purchasing a ring. Varies by person. My wife told me flat out that she wanted a moissanite and that if I bought a real diamond she'd throw it back.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah this is entirely dependent on your potential fiancee's personal tastes and personality. No one can answer this for you except her.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

joyfulgirl129 posted:

So I have officially 35 days until the day and:

1) I can't get a hold of the officiant that we booked. 3 phone calls, 4 emails, no response. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and left a voice message of "hey, i hope everything's all right, I understand if there is an emergency, please just text or email me so that I can make backup plans" and then I searched for her Facebook page and she's partying and dicking around as of last week. And she's not a friend; this is her actual business.

2) The photographers we hired were just starting out when we found them; now they are charging a lot more for their services than what we agreed to in the contract and I get the feeling they are butthurt and keep hinting at "extras" that we could add to our contract for more $ that are already there to begin with in the original contract.

1. Send an ultimatum e-mail. Say that if you don't get a confirmation that you will then start looking for someone new to conduct the ceremony. That's piss poor if they don't handle their communications at all.

2. Tough poo poo for the photog. I've experienced the same boom in my ceremony music business. If they are as good as their prices now demand then you will be so blown away that you won't be able not to tip them. You were looking for photography at certain price point and that was them.

Good luck on the other stuff, I'm sorry, what a hassle. I told my dad that I was going to elope after seeing as many weddings as I have. He laughed and said it wasn't up to me (being I'm the dude).

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

QuarkJets posted:

I sell many gemstone engagement rings, but whether one is appropriate for your situation all depends. You're asking a question that's weighing social standing, peer groups comparisons, and the juxtaposition of competitive and anti-competitive emotions.

I'd ask your girlfriend what her expectations are. Or barring that, see what her engaged friends are wearing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clear stones are very much set as the "norm" in contemporary culture. Deviations are . . . strange. People may not recognize it as an engagement ring and other people may view it in a negative light. Either that you are cheap or she "wasn't worth it". hosed up, but that is the way our culture works. Plus diamonds are a very hard stone, which makes them good for everyday wear.

I'd say you should talk it over with her. I've had friends go the non-traditional route and a lot of them get poo poo for it. If you guys don't care about that, that is cool. But know that is the reality of it.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Shbobdb posted:

I've had friends go the non-traditional route and a lot of them get poo poo for it. If you guys don't care about that, that is cool. But know that is the reality of it.

That sucks :(. I just have a silver band with no stones and it cost $20. No one has ever said anything negative about it, actually most people think it's cool. I have a couple other girl friends that just have plain bands with no stone.

What kind of crappy people would give someone poo poo for not having the "right" kind of ring?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

joyfulgirl129 posted:

How did she do this? Did she order a bunch of invitations and send them out herself, or is this just her list that she gave to you guys? If it's the latter, I would just invite the original 25% and throw the rest of her list in the trash. If it's the former, then you might have potentially bigger problems looming ahead.

The wedding is still more than a year out (November 2014 to be precise) so guest lists aren't finalized just yet, and the venue doesn't make us settle on a head count until like a month before. She was willing to pay the extra to have more, so whatever, she can have more. If they show, more gifts for us, if they don't, then who cares, her loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

razz posted:

That sucks :(. I just have a silver band with no stones and it cost $20. No one has ever said anything negative about it, actually most people think it's cool. I have a couple other girl friends that just have plain bands with no stone.

What kind of crappy people would give someone poo poo for not having the "right" kind of ring?

I used an old sapphire ring for my engagement and now use an intricate silver band with no stones and get complimented ALL the time.