Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fivegears4reverse posted:

The fact that the PS4 and the Xbone have so many systems already preordered worldwide also speaks to just how wasted this launch year was for Nintendo.

I remember the WiiU launch having a lot of hype to it online... People worried about not being able to get one for Christmas. I was one of those people, I waited in line at Best Buy just to get my preorder. It had Mario and Nintendoland so I was sold because there were two games I wanted on day 1. I still think it was worth getting because of all the fun I've had playing 5 person Nintendoland, and thr lineup for the rest of this year looks really good.

The PS4 and Xbox have a lot of SPECS going for it, but I am completely unimpressed with both systems exclusive game lineup. There are people in the PS4 thread that have said they are not even getting any games with it at launch, they just want to make sure they have one. Are people pre-ordering with the PS4 and XBO just becsuse they are afraid of not getting one and having to wait 6 months like most peoplemhad to do with the Wii? I was one of those people that used the PS3 as a BluRay player and survived the first year off of demos and rentals because there was nothing that interests me in the first year of the launch. I remember beating Heavenly Sword in a few hours and being glad I didn't drop $60 on it. But at least I used it as a BluRay player and for PS2 games.

I have a solid line up of games this year that is going to keep me busy between Watch Dogs, GTA, and pretty much all the first party games on the WiiU and 3DS. If they launched the PS4 with a new LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet & Clank I might be sold for day one, but both series just had announced games or content for the PS3. I remember buying a lot of lovely games for every console I owned in the first year just so I can play stuff. Do people actually want Driveclub? Or just want it because it looks pretty and want to show off their PS4? Maybe I'm just a different audience because I enjoy Nintendo franchises and not first person shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone able to get wonderful 101 at that gaming convention yet? I can't wait to try that and rayman soon.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Astro7x posted:

I remember the WiiU launch having a lot of hype to it online... People worried about not being able to get one for Christmas. I was one of those people, I waited in line at Best Buy just to get my preorder. It had Mario and Nintendoland so I was sold because there were two games I wanted on day 1. I still think it was worth getting because of all the fun I've had playing 5 person Nintendoland, and thr lineup for the rest of this year looks really good.

The PS4 and Xbox have a lot of SPECS going for it, but I am completely unimpressed with both systems exclusive game lineup. There are people in the PS4 thread that have said they are not even getting any games with it at launch, they just want to make sure they have one. Are people pre-ordering with the PS4 and XBO just becsuse they are afraid of not getting one and having to wait 6 months like most peoplemhad to do with the Wii? I was one of those people that used the PS3 as a BluRay player and survived the first year off of demos and rentals because there was nothing that interests me in the first year of the launch. I remember beating Heavenly Sword in a few hours and being glad I didn't drop $60 on it. But at least I used it as a BluRay player and for PS2 games.

I have a solid line up of games this year that is going to keep me busy between Watch Dogs, GTA, and pretty much all the first party games on the WiiU and 3DS. If they launched the PS4 with a new LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet & Clank I might be sold for day one, but both series just had announced games or content for the PS3. I remember buying a lot of lovely games for every console I owned in the first year just so I can play stuff. Do people actually want Driveclub? Or just want it because it looks pretty and want to show off their PS4? Maybe I'm just a different audience because I enjoy Nintendo franchises and not first person shooters.

I honestly have no idea what your point is here. You got a Wii U at launch yet you don't understand why people would get a PS4 or Xbone at launch?

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Astro7x posted:

The PS4 and Xbox have a lot of SPECS going for it, but I am completely unimpressed with both systems exclusive game lineup. There are people in the PS4 thread that have said they are not even getting any games with it at launch, they just want to make sure they have one. Are people pre-ordering with the PS4 and XBO just becsuse they are afraid of not getting one and having to wait 6 months like most peoplemhad to do with the Wii?
There's a shitload of free-to-play games being released for it. Warframe, for example, is going to be available at launch now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Midee posted:

There's a shitload of free-to-play games being released for it. Warframe, for example, is going to be available at launch now.
And a lot of people are already PS+ members, which will be giving out free games on day 1 (nothing AAA, mind you, but a couple of indie titles and DriveClub).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

I seriously doubt that Nintendo could do anything to be more indie-friendly than Sony are. I mean, Sony went out and funded the guys who made Dear Esther to go ahead with their Rapture game, at a time when they were pretty sure Kickstarter wouldn't do that. How can you top that?

They've pretty much funded Bayonetta 2 and monster hunter is all but Nintendo exclusive. It's not like they're not trying at all, it's just Nintendo and they make really loving terrible decisions.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I agree that the first part launch titles for PS4 and Xbone are meh, but the third party look great. COD and Battlefield is a huge portion of the market.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone able to get wonderful 101 at that gaming convention yet? I can't wait to try that and rayman soon.

I played a demo of it last year back when it was still "Project P-100". It was... meh. The concept intrigued me, it's this weird mashup of Pikmin and Viewtiful Joe but it's another one of those games that looks at the GamePad and goes, "Aw poo poo, what are we gonna do with this thing?" and then hits the 'BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF NINTENDO GIMMICK CONTROLLER' button.

Drawing the shapes on the touchscreen needed to switch between attack types was really awkward, as was trying lasso NPCs into my hero throng and the puzzle sections, where the action switches to the GamePad screen itself were really annoying. I'm interested to see how it fares though, because a part of me really liked it despite how much the little things about it pissed me off while I was playing it.

Meh.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bobnumerotres posted:

They've pretty much funded Bayonetta 2 and monster hunter is all but Nintendo exclusive. It's not like they're not trying at all, it's just Nintendo and they make really loving terrible decisions.

Because when I think of struggling, fresh, indie devs, looking to get their name out there and make their influence felt, I think of Platinum games and Capcom.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well considering Bayonetta 2 required Nintendo bankrolling it entirely to even happen, I would say Platinum certainly was struggling (and I guess will continue to struggle now that W101 is a flop).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well they are tied down by Sega. Who never advertises poo poo and is currently alive thanks to Sonic and the Total War studio.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well considering Bayonetta 2 required Nintendo bankrolling it entirely to even happen, I would say Platinum certainly was struggling (and I guess will continue to struggle now that W101 is a flop).

Struggling through mismanagement, not through being supported by 5 guys working day jobs. There is a significant difference.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Well they are tied down by Sega. Who never advertises poo poo and is currently alive thanks to Sonic and the Total War studio.

I believe SEGA's publishing deal with Platinum has been completed, which is why they worked directly for Konami on Metal Gear Rising, and with Nintendo for The Wonderful 101. SEGA still owns the IP to their earlier games, so unless they're bought wholesale then SEGA's still going to appear on the box of the entirely Nintendo-funded Bayonetta 2.

I'd do anything for a Vanquish sequel, but SEGA's never going to fund it, and will probably sit on the IP and forget about it.

Since Kamiya mentioned wanting to put the first Bayonetta on the Wii U, I hope it's included with the sequel and not sold separately, since I've already bought it twice. My second-hand 360 broke after a few weeks of use, so I've been having to make do with the PS3 version.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I think Football Manager is helping them a great deal as well.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I almost purchased a Wii U at launch, but preordering was not the easiest thing for that system. I didn't want a basic and the Wii U delux was sold out of preorders so quick there was nothing I could do. I like preordering because I can go back to the store and pay it off week by week so I don't take a $350 loss in one lump sum, which is hard to eat around Christmas time.

Everyone said it would be impossible to get, so I threw in the towel and decided I would wait. And then the holidays came and the delux model was everywhere. I mean piles of them. I remember going to Best Buy and being totally pissed that the were just dozens of them. Every store was like that. I decided at that point that the launch line up was completely unimpressive and I waited (until recently with the Zelda bundle).

The point is, someone botched it up. But it was totally an artificial scarcity. Initially I missed the PS4 preorders. But they opened up more and I got on the second list for day one PS4. They have sold out again. But I think they've reopened them for a third batch. The point is, I highly doubt that PS4 will be hard to get; however, it is easily attainable and Sony is happy to take my money. The Wii U, I tried preordering, but nothing, and so Nintendo had to wait a full year to see any cash flow from me. The question is, did Nintendo alienate any other consumers besides myself? I am going with a yes because I can't imagine I'm the only person who had this predicament and was subsequently turned off by a lousy launch.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I still haven't been able to even try a Wii U. Every demo unit I've come across just plays videos of games, there's no actual demos. Maybe if I could actually try a drat game, it would make me want to buy the system.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GRINK HELCH posted:

The question is, did Nintendo alienate any other consumers besides myself? I am going with a yes because I can't imagine I'm the only person who had this predicament and was subsequently turned off by a lousy launch.

Nintendo has alienated far FAR more people than yourself, and for far more reasons than yours.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TaurusOxford posted:

Nintendo has alienated far FAR more people than yourself, and for far more reasons than yours.

In the last several console generations, I had every console. PS1/Dreamcast/Saturn/N64. PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. PS3/360/Wii.

This is the first time in 15+ years, where I'm looking at all the main consoles coming out and deciding 'All I want is only one console (PS4). The exclusives are not worth it anymore to put up with the hassle/cost of another console(s)'

The Xbone is another story in of itself (and has its own thread too) but the WiiU suffers from a arbitrary high price point for the hardware, and yes, it has no games now and I know we will get games but lately, I have really been rather disappointed at Nintendo's home console offerings. I feel like I'm going to have more fun with Zelda 3DS than WiiU Zelda or Skyward Sword.

Heck, half the reason I only have a Wii is because I scored one used for $100. I got my fun out of it but it hasn't been turned on in nearly 2 years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cheesegod posted:

I still haven't been able to even try a Wii U. Every demo unit I've come across just plays videos of games, there's no actual demos. Maybe if I could actually try a drat game, it would make me want to buy the system.

This has been something i've noticed as well, only just as bad; there are no Wii U kiosks where I live. I've been in Best Buys and Gamestops as well looking for them. I always keep an eye open when I go into electronic stores. Now that I think about it, i've never touched a Wii U before. I don't know where you can try one out. This is a huge thing in my opinion. If people can actually see the consoles first hand, that would help a lot. Electronic stores typically don't have their boxed systems out in the open where people can see them clearly. At my Target, everything is locked away behind a glass case and you have to know where to look and ask for it. Xbox and PlayStation are names everyone is familiar with, but not the Wii U.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

I said come in! posted:

Xbox and PlayStation are names everyone is familiar with, but not the Wii U.

Everyone at this point agrees 'Wii U' is a horrible name, but besides being confusing I think it was a bad play from an established brand standpoint as well. Sure, it was the best selling console of this generation, but the Wii has been nearly completely stagnant for years now.

Ineffiable posted:

Heck, half the reason I only have a Wii is because I scored one used for $100. I got my fun out of it but it hasn't been turned on in nearly 2 years.

Every single person I know with a Wii has this same story. "It was fun, but I haven't turned it on in years." Wii Fit was years ago. Wii Sports was nearly 7 years ago. Nintendo was obviously trying to build off the success of the Wii brand with the Wii U's name, but they did almost nothing to reinforce that brand in the public consciousness in the two years leading up to the Wii U's launch. Combined with their inept marketing, we now have a situation where a large chunk of potential consumers think the Wii U is an accessory to a system that spends most of its time collecting dust.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astro7x posted:

The PS4 and Xbox have a lot of SPECS going for it, but I am completely unimpressed with both systems exclusive game lineup.

If it's anything like the Wii/PS3/360 Situation people are buying PS4/XBONE because all the games will be coming out for that and the Wii U will be abandoned by third parties within a year. The Wii U was selling terribly when there was no competition, I don't think it can compete with 2 new consoles.

If by "exclusive" to those two you mean "Not Coming to Wii U", that will probably be every game sooner or later.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Actually I think at least a lot of those Xbone's, and PS4's will be like this current gen; they'll all go up on Ebay for $1000.

IronyGuy6669
Apr 22, 2010
I'm not even sure if I'm excited for the 1st party games, which is hugely problematic. Gamecube and N64 had their problems, but they had a great library for dedicated fans. After that period, I feel like there has been a decline in originality and quality in Nintendo games. I feel like the game worlds they used to build, even though they were limited by the technology of the time, were so much more interesting than they are now. There are way more adventure oriented, open world games now, but I feel like Nintendo games have only decreased in that aspect whereas before they excelled.

I'm not saying they make bad games or anything, they're still talented developers, and there are definitely counter examples of what I said before. I'll probably end up with a Wii U at some point because of Smash Bros. It's been said before, but I think it would be really wise for them to add/contract more 2nd party developers to make their games. I feel like it would really expand the variety of games they offer and make their systems more attractive.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The only thing that would make me consider getting a Nintendo console now is a new Rogue Leader, and we know that poo poo will never happen. :(

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Have Platinum make Starfox and F-Zero.

That won't solve the Wii U's problems but...they should still probably do it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

X23 posted:

I'm not even sure if I'm excited for the 1st party games, which is hugely problematic. Gamecube and N64 had their problems, but they had a great library for dedicated fans. After that period, I feel like there has been a decline in originality and quality in Nintendo games. I feel like the game worlds they used to build, even though they were limited by the technology of the time, were so much more interesting than they are now. There are way more adventure oriented, open world games now, but I feel like Nintendo games have only decreased in that aspect whereas before they excelled.
This is where I'm at. I've pretty much accepted that this console will have no use for me beyond first party titles, but I realized my interest in those is waning quickly. Up until E3 I was holding out hope for that promised 3D Mario game thinking they were going to show off something with the wow-factor of Galaxy. The reveal that it was a rehash of the 3DS game was a huge letdown. 3D Land was fun but the novelty of a 3D Mario game structured like a 2D Mario game has already worn off.

midwat
May 6, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Have Platinum make Starfox and F-Zero.

That won't solve the Wii U's problems but...they should still probably do it.

Man, a Starfox with tablet cockpit controls might be really... cool.

Such a game might have had me considering a WiiU purchase during that whole year when they had no competition.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

whaley posted:

I dunno if people haven't been following Nintendo for the past twenty or so years or what, but I can tell you exactly what Nintendo will do because it's what Nintendo has always done. They will continue to make software for the Wii U, pretend like it's the best system ever, and act like nothing is wrong at all.

I am sitting in my bathroom typing this and have an old EGM in front of me where they're talking to George Harrison (the senior vice president of marketing and corporate communication back then) and he's saying Man we learned so many lessons from the Nintendo 64! This time around we are going to have so many third party developers and third party exclusives on the GameCube! It's gonna be ridiculous! They've done this poo poo for almost as long as I've existed. I don't think they're going to do anything different at all ever.

The Gamecube sold about equally as well as the Xbox. I know Nintendo is stubborn, but they've previously cut the line on hopeless products.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm really tired of hearing GameCube comparisons to this thing. The story of that generation is Sony's unparalleled success. For Microsoft, it wasn't a big deal because their objective was to establish a credible console gaming brand with an eye toward the next generation, which they succeeded in doing. Nintendo, in moving over to optical discs, dual analog controls, and packing the system with superior hardware, was coming at Sony head-on. The Gamecube had fun games that are still fun to play, but Nintendo definitely fell well short of their goals for the system. That said, they still did well enough to continue building home consoles.

GameCube struggled - that's not what's happening with WiiU. WiiU has failed. The lesson of GameCube is that Nintendo can hang in there if they're not meeting expectations. That lesson isn't applicable to the WiiU - the thing isn't falling short, it's crashing and burning. We are witnessing the first total failure of Nintendo to succeed with a home console release. Nintendo fans need to stop reassuring themselves that this is like the GameCube. Iwata would suck a hobo's dick in a Nintendo Direct if it meant the WiiU pulling GameCube numbers.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I feel kind of stupid for buying one now, because although I got it at a large discount due to HMV going out of business, its library throughout this entire year hasn't provided more than a handful of exclusive games worth playing.

I only bought it for the potential of great Nintendo games coming to it, but if they can't prevent it from sinking then it was a poor investment, considering I'd have spent more on the system than on the games I'd want for it, which includes two Platinum games and the Nintendo games that aren't just sequels or rehashes of ones I've already played.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Mario Kart and Zelda will be fantastic titles.

I've played so many Mario Kart games that unless Mario Kart 8 is genuinely better than Double Dash, then I'm not going to bother. I don't live near people I can play it regularly with anyway, and we know how Nintendo feels about that sort of person. I'll pick up Zelda out of obligation, but if it isn't as innovative and refreshing as Majora's Mask, and is completely railroaded despite a condescending partner always telling you what to do, then it's not going to justify buying the system.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 2, 2013

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I feel kind of stupid for buying one now, because although I got it at a large discount due to HMV going out of business, its library throughout this entire year hasn't provided more than a handful of exclusive games worth playing.

I only bought it for the potential of great Nintendo games coming to it, but if they can't prevent it from sinking then it was a poor investment, considering I'd have spent more on the system than on the games I'd want for it, which includes two Platinum games and the Nintendo games that aren't just sequels or rehashes of ones I've already played.

Mario Kart and Zelda will be fantastic titles. That's probably where most the rage about the WiiU comes from. Nintendo knows people will buy it for literally a handful of games that they could release on other consoles a la Sega. Annoys me that I'm going to miss those games because I can't justify the purchase of the console for just them.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

I'm really tired of hearing GameCube comparisons to this thing.

The GameCube had one of its most important games released within its first couple months (Smash Bros Melee). The Wii U will have one of its most important games released after its first year has already passed(Mario Kart), and new consoles will already be out.

This alone should inform people of how different the situation is with the Wii U, but the comparisons will continue because its a Nintendo Console.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

TheScott2K posted:

We are witnessing the first total failure of Nintendo to succeed with a home console release.
Is there literally any reason for Nintendo to back out of this generation, or accelerate the post U plans? I'm serious, I can't think of any reason to Dreamcast the thing: cutting their losses would only exacerbate their existing problems.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

All of Platinum's games require bigger companies' funding to get made; that's kind of Platinum's whole deal as a small independent company. They could probably be doing better than they are, but they've put out seven games in five years - I wouldn't say they're struggling to stay alive.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

That loving Sned posted:

I turned mine on for the hell of it yesterday to see what was new with the Nintendo store (fun aside - I have about $20 in promotional credit on the 3DS store that apparently doesn't carry over to the Wii U store. What stupid consumer-unfriendly cock thought that one up?). Anyway, just poking around in the menus revealed that the Wii U keeps activity logs of everything you do and how long you spend doing it. Until yesterday, the last 7 months have zero activity logged. And if you sum up all the time I've had the Wii U powered on since I got it on launch day, it's less than 48 hours. "Poor investment" doesn't even begin to describe the Wii U at this point.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Is there literally any reason for Nintendo to back out of this generation, or accelerate the post U plans? I'm serious, I can't think of any reason to Dreamcast the thing: cutting their losses would only exacerbate their existing problems.

Accelerating plans for their next console would be sensible, but they're not going to just trash the U and cease support immediately or anything like that.

A 2016 release for a new platform would make for a shorter generation than has become standard now, but not unprecedentedly short (only 4 years passed between the Xbox and XBox 360 releases, for example).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Supercar Gautier posted:

Accelerating plans for their next console would be sensible,
That's kind of what I was getting at. Come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea to get their hardware schedule out of phase with the other two.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They could always make some upgrade attachments for the WiiU, like the SUPER WiiU, or WiiU 256X. I mean it's worked so gloriously in the past!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Casnorf posted:

Because to continue manufacturing this machine and put resources into developing games for it is going to cost them much more money than they are going to make. If they shifted gears and sold it for $150 or $200 without the tablet and focused on having a competent eShop selling games for $15, they'd have a shot, but this is Nintendo, and they just aren't going to do that. Right now their "existing problems" is the home console market as a whole. They just don't understand it outside of their home country, and now their home country would rather just stick with handhelds. We started seeing hints of it with the N64 - going with cartridges was a tone-deaf decision, but it didn't end up costing them much in the end. In the next generation they underestimated the importance of third-party releases and didn't get first-party releases out fast enough and often they weren't of a high enough quality to make up the difference - people are all nostalgic for it now, but at the time the veridct on Super Mario Galaxy was "this is no Super Mario 64."

And, of course, someone's probably going to jump out and say "but the Wii was the #1 selling fargle bargle flarble" but let's be real here - that happened in spite of Nintendo. The Wii was an interesting-for-the-time control scheme paired with reheated hardware from the GameCube that didn't cost much to develop or manufacture. The Wii came out right in between gaming "going mainstream" on back of the Playstation2 and the Casual Gamer Perfect Weapon that is the iPhone. It hit at just the right moment for a huge swath of the public that was finally curious enough to try video games to give it a shot at its low price, have fun at a few parties, and then put it away for good once they got their iPhone, where the games all cost 99 cents or are free. Look at smartphone adoption rates and put them next to Wii software and console sales. The former completely murdered the latter. Your mom doesn't want to have to figure out how to change inputs to play Wii games when the thing she has in her pocket scratches the itch just fine. Had Nintendo seen the writing on the wall like the other two and put in enough horsepower to run in HD and play the same multiplatform games as the 360 and PS3, making their console the only one of the three to truly differentiate itself while still being able to serve the "hardcore" gamers that have been spending money on XBox Live subscriptions and copies of Grand Theft Auto V to this day, they could be running the table on this next generation. But instead, they decided graphics didn't matter and got lucky enough to land on a fad. Sheer dumb luck.

The lessons Nintendo learned from the Wii have turned out to be landmines. The casual gamer wasn't just bored of their Wii, they were bored of consoles. They had their fun in 2007, they're not interested in paying $350 to do it again. They'd much rather play an iPhone game while the TV plays a show they like. The people who are interested in video games as a hobby know that the big multiplatform releases are never going to be on the WiiU, especially since Nintendo decided to run the "repurpose last gen's tech" play again. They need to just kill the thing. Stop wasting money pushing the WiiU, focus on handheld, and put a big red target on Christmas 2019. We'll be five years deep into a generation that the manufacturers are hoping will last for 10, and Nintendo, absent since 2014, will have something that is actually an improvement on existing hardware. It could be capable of running better versions of multiplatform games (at least in single player) while running first party Nintendo games that look better than anything that's not on PC. Gamers might actually be happy to see them again.

But then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

TheScott2K posted:

But then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about.

I agree with you, but there's also the issue of the PR if they abandon the U. Even if they gave everyone a full refund (for games as well as hardware), they're still gonna get crucified in the press. I think they really have to keep trickling out games for it, and supporting it to some degree.

• Locked thread