Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

weekly font posted:

I really want to watch Mungo again but I feel like I need to show it to somebody else to earn that viewing because it's that good.

I think I'm going to show it to my brother, but I'm going to present it as an ordinary documentary about true things that actually happened in real life. :cawg:

Y'know, just as an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually, I would probably say he's talking about the neighbor thing. That bothered the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

Yyyyyup. I mean, I get what's happening there. It's progressive muddying of the waters. There's so much hosed up and weird stuff going on in the movie, that every part of it becomes equally believable, because it's all so insane. But that part really hits low.

As a whole it was fantastic, but drat, that's an emotional bear trap.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 24, 2013

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

If that guy is still taking suggestions for docudramas, Man Bites Dog is pretty good. And if it isn't good, it's at least entertaining.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Was in the mood for a movie like this so I went with Session 9. It had (very few) moments, but overall it was just generic and I felt pretty blase about it all. Fairly disappointed after wanting to see it for quite a while. I will say that it had an effective atmosphere though, and I liked the cast.

It's tough to find genuinely scary movies that aren't heavy on the violence (which is mostly for the girlfriend's sake). I might show her Frailty, which is great, but I'm looking for something that's more of a 'mindfuck' I guess. How violent is Lake Mungo? 1 or 2 violent scenes is fine, but I'm more wondering about the level of it and how constant it is. As an Aussie I should probably watch it and it sounds up my alley.

justlikedunkirk, great write-up on a movie I'd honestly never heard of. Maybe it'll get rediscovered like Wake in Fright did semi-recently (a similar kind of psychological, low-budget 70s horror film).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zero violence, one shot of a corpse that's fished out of water.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

weekly font posted:

Zero violence, one shot of a corpse that's fished out of water.

I'd argue (as posted above) the neighbour threesome thing is a bit stark and potentially upsetting (is she underage? I can't remember if the film gave her age or not), but there's no violence.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I'd argue (as posted above) the neighbour threesome thing is a bit stark and potentially upsetting (is she underage? I can't remember if the film gave her age or not), but there's no violence.

In regards to spoiler two: I believe it was stated at the beginning of the film that she was 17 so yeah pretty uncomfortable

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Why is that the creepiest part of Lake Mungo? I'm trying to find details (in the same boat with S/O) and I've only read that it was creepy (because of age?) or is it more than that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just watched Lake Mungo because of the discussion here and I was fairly captivated by it. I liked how they could do some found footage (which can be effective) while having most of it shot traditionally.

It looked great too with some nice lighting in the house.

Chilling and emotional at the same time.

I think I'll watch Section 9 next, it's great all these are on Netflix!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MVP posted:

Why is that the creepiest part of Lake Mungo? I'm trying to find details (in the same boat with S/O) and I've only read that it was creepy (because of age?) or is it more than that?

I think it's because the whole thing is framed as supernatural, and then the cameras pick up the neighbour searching her bedroom for something. This is after the "son is faking it for reasons" so you think, huh, this is where the real ghost story starts. The mother finds the video, and bam! suddenly the fat old neighbours (who she babysat for for a long time) are shagging this quite young-looking teen.

I think it's the sudden tonal shift that's shocking, since the rest of the film has a quite funereal and respectful tone. But I found it more shocking the the final revelation(s) and there is a bit of a whiff of abuse about it. It's quite explicit, albeit in crappy VHS res, but you don't see any wang or vag or anything.

Quite why they filmed it, or why she was at their house when they were there, or why she was doing her neighbours at all is never explained at all, it's just kinda dropped.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 26, 2013

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

MVP posted:

That aspect of it didn't bother me so much, other than the age-difference and :swoon:THREESOME:swoon: raised-eyebrow effect, but I guess that's because the legal age of consent here is 16. Had she been younger I can see how that would have increased the shiver factor, but as it is it just falls under the "people do things" category. The phone picture of the incident at the lake creeped me out more.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I might be misremembering here, but I thought the whole deal with the neighbors in Lake Mungo is that they essentially roofied her and took advantage of her. It was entirely non-consensual.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's pretty rapey if thats the case, although I don't remember that detail.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The scene with the intercutting of the two psychic consults was pretty devastating. Really drove home the distance between mother and daughter and the lack of meaningful closure. That made me the saddest of all, really.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

priznat posted:

The scene with the intercutting of the two psychic consults was pretty devastating. Really drove home the distance between mother and daughter and the lack of meaningful closure. That made me the saddest of all, really.

It's also the clearest reference to Twin Peaks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's also the clearest reference to Twin Peaks.

I've completely forgotten about Twin Peaks, but yeah definitely. I didn't watch many episodes of that but the part at the ending of one episode where the psychologist (?) is putting on headphones of Laura Palmer's sessions and she is freaking out really stuck with me. I should rewatch that on Netflix, I think it's on instant view.

Just watched Session 9, a bit of a "blah" from me. Glad to finally see the classic Caruso "gently caress you" gif in its original form though. Overall the premise didn't seem to justify a full movie. Would have made a passable "tales from the crypt" episode.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Twin Peaks has been on Instant for as long as I can remember so I don't think it'll be going away any time soon. But I have to say, anyone who hasn't seen it needs to see it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Lake Mungo was alright, until the credits. A single shot was so hilarious to me as to retroactively undermine all goodwill.

While the credits are rolling at the end we're seeing all those faked photos from earlier. They show the photograph of the faked ghost in front of the fence, then the camera pans slightly right revealing a ghost in the picture after all. I just burst out laughing, aw poo poo they all forgot to look to the right

I don't care if there's some spectral realist explanation "oh the ghost showed up in the picture after after being found out", the imagery that moment evoked was so hilarious as to be destructive to me. All I could think about were dozens of people highly scrutinizing all these photos with their magnifying glasses, none of them looking right except for this documentary crew.

I mean it's a really, really well done film. But thinking about that one little thing and I still smile.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 27, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought the same thing about the credits sequence.

Also what was up with the darkened scene right at the end with a figure crouched with occasional flashes of light coming from offscreen? Was that part of the movie credits or was it some subtle promo for the production company? Anyway I didn't really get that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Lake Mungo was alright, until the credits. A single shot was so hilarious to me as to retroactively undermine all goodwill.

While the credits are rolling at the end we're seeing all those faked photos from earlier. They show the photograph of the faked ghost in front of the fence, then the camera pans slightly right revealing a ghost in the picture after all. I just burst out laughing, aw poo poo they all forgot to look to the right

I don't care if there's some spectral realist explanation "oh the ghost showed up in the picture after after being found out", the imagery that moment evoked was so hilarious as to be destructive to me. All I could think about were dozens of people highly scrutinizing all these photos with their magnifying glasses, none of them looking right except for this documentary crew.

I mean it's a really, really well done film. But thinking about that one little thing and I still smile.

I think there's thematic importance there: she was there the whole time plain as day, but they chose to miss what was right under their noses. As far as the people making the documentary, maybe they did see it and included those shots as commentary on the family and their relationship to their daughter?

Also, there was something about that graphic with the lightning at the end that really unsettled me. I'm not sure why.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

There are two versions of M.R. James' classic ghost story Oh, Whistle and I'll Come To You, My Lad; one from 1968 with Michael Hordern, and one from 2010 with John Hurt. Both are excellent, the 68 version is more true to the original story, where as the 2010 version takes a few liberties of its own. There is something extremely chilling about the distant presence following the protagonist at twilight on a forgotten English beach. Who is this who comes?

I just caught the John Hurt version and thought it was excellent. It really only takes the barest skeleton of the short story (man staying in seaside hotel finds mysterious object on beach, is pursued by apparition), using its motifs while substituting imagery of marriage and parenthood to present a story of the loss, regret and guilt that can come at the end of one's life. If I was going to classify it I'd call it a psychological horror film before I called it a "ghost story."

The fact that the main character is disturbed by a bust in the shape of a child's face on the first weekend he's spent without his wife in literal decades echoes his earlier statement about having wanted children but never finding the time. It sits there on the shelf staring at him as he lies in bed, and he can't sleep until he's moved it to look somewhere else. It embodies the reason why he's so unwilling to leave his near-catatonic wife's side for even a day: if he admits that their days together are over, he'll have to confront the fact that the opportunities and desires he'd kept putting off are gone forever. Couple that with the substitution of an antique wedding ring on the beach for the original story's bronze whistle and the very clear wedding-dress imagery of the apparition on the beach and you have the picture of a man who's quite literally haunted by the past. The final appearance of his wife's shade in his hotel room, angrily shouting "I'M STILL HERE!" before he dies in fright is a great way of showing that this man's life is already over. The "here" she refers to could refer to the hotel where they honeymooned in their youth, but I think it means that she's still in him--that the way she used to be is always going to follow him around, and that he can't live if he remains fixated on that. His death immediately following her appearance is I think meant to show his acceptance of this fact--not a happy or satisfying acceptance, but the terrified understanding that he doesn't and can't understand how to live now that she's gone. Personally I don't think there's a literal ghost at work in this story, just a sad, broken man destroying himself from the inside.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jack Gladney posted:

I think there's thematic importance there: she was there the whole time plain as day, but they chose to miss what was right under their noses. As far as the people making the documentary, maybe they did see it and included those shots as commentary on the family and their relationship to their daughter?

Also, there was something about that graphic with the lightning at the end that really unsettled me. I'm not sure why.

Just reading the description is giving me chills. Yeah, the themes here and throughout the entire movie are really important. It's about dealing with grief. To some it's possible to move on, some need to rationalize what happened, some want to live with the ghosts.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Just caught this on demand and figured I'd give it a recommendation:

It's a found footage film and you can take what you will from that. I'll recommend the movie by comparing it to Apollo 18. Wait! Wait! I'll explain, the one thing that Apollo 18 did that I really geeked out about was giving the general vibe that you were actually witnessing a moon mission through found footage. This movie gives that same super-science vibe about a mission to Europa. Everything in it feels plausible which is the most important thing about a movie like this to me. The characters in it aren't just dummies that get offed by moonspiders, even if the trailer unfortunately makes it look like that. You can watch on demand now or it'll get released to (probably limited) theaters in August.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Mouser.. posted:

Just caught this on demand and figured I'd give it a recommendation:

It's a found footage film and you can take what you will from that. I'll recommend the movie by comparing it to Apollo 18. Wait! Wait! I'll explain, the one thing that Apollo 18 did that I really geeked out about was giving the general vibe that you were actually witnessing a moon mission through found footage. This movie gives that same super-science vibe about a mission to Europa. Everything in it feels plausible which is the most important thing about a movie like this to me. The characters in it aren't just dummies that get offed by moonspiders, even if the trailer unfortunately makes it look like that. You can watch on demand now or it'll get released to (probably limited) theaters in August.

Just the cover unsettles me. I have a fear of massive objects in space (if that can be an official fear), so close-up images of places like Jupiter always make me freak a little. I could just imagine what the hell Jupiter would look like from that close. AHH

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Supreme Allah posted:

Just the cover unsettles me. I have a fear of massive objects in space (if that can be an official fear), so close-up images of places like Jupiter always make me freak a little. I could just imagine what the hell Jupiter would look like from that close. AHH

As phobias go, at least yours is pretty benign.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

wormil posted:

As phobias go, at least yours is pretty benign.

I dunno, you'd only have to look beneath your feet and you'd scream.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Popcorn posted:

I dunno, you'd only have to look beneath your feet and you'd scream.

Earth is fine, it's the things that make Earth look tiny that bring out the heebie jeebies. I think I'll watch that movie just to freak myself out.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
I'm surprised no one has brought up "Irreversible" yet.

Not for the feint of heart. It's not "Saw" gory, but there are unsugarcoated scenes of violence and rape in the film. It uses an interesting story-telling mechanism to give it a unique twist, though. Also, it's in French and shot with a handheld. Despite the shakiness of it, the movie is really well done and intense and very beautiful in some scenes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Father_Johann posted:

I'm surprised no one has brought up "Irreversible" yet.

Not for the feint of heart. It's not "Saw" gory, but there are unsugarcoated scenes of violence and rape in the film. It uses an interesting story-telling mechanism to give it a unique twist, though. Also, it's in French and shot with a handheld. Despite the shakiness of it, the movie is really well done and intense and very beautiful in some scenes.
I think that's the problem, is the violence and intensity gets it lumped in with a lot of the other films of the New French Extremity wave of the time, so it may not quite fit with this thread. I seem to remember there was a good deal of discussion about it in the horror megathread. It's definitely effective.

Has anyone seen Cargo (2009)? Netflix has a "Cargo" up but it's about human trafficking. This is apparently a Swedish sci-fi thriller that sounds like it'd be right up my alley, I don't know how I missed it until now. It popped up on IMdb when I was looking up Dark City, but that's the first I've heard of it. I feel like I've exhausted all the sci-fi thrillers currently available (Pandorum, Sunshine, etc).

And Europa Report looks great, I'll be watching for that one. I vacillate on found footage but if there's anything that could get me interested in that style again it'd be a good sci-fi.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I've been asking for these for a while, but: Can anyone suggest me some Docudramas?
Sci-fi, horror, or thriller docudramas.

Its not a docudrama because it is just a regular documentary, but The Act of Killing is the most psychologically troubling movie that I have ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing

Miltank fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 2, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
I've been seeing promo material for this, and I'm planning to watch it once my PhD has me not on the constant verge of self-harm. It looks amazing and powerful, but not something to watch when you're already at your wit's end. Thanks Mil.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mouser.. posted:

The characters in it aren't just dummies that get offed by moonspiders, even if the trailer unfortunately makes it look like that. You can watch on demand now or it'll get released to (probably limited) theaters in August.

I am terribly disappointed. This is the only place in the solar system where an after action report listing the cause of death as "offed by moonspiders" is remotely plausible. :colbert:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Supreme Allah posted:

Earth is fine, it's the things that make Earth look tiny that bring out the heebie jeebies. I think I'll watch that movie just to freak myself out.

You might enjoy the intro to Contact then - one of my favorite "zoom" sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsTBbAMikPQ

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm trying to go through the movies in this thread, and I just finished Special Bulletin earlier today. I can't get it out of my head. I absolutely love Ghostwatch, so this was the perfect follow-up for it.

The thing that I can't get out of my head is (major spoilers)I can't believe how audacious the ending is. Especially the reporter realizing on air that she's just likely been contaminated..

So good.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What are peoples' opinions of The Ninth Gate? For sure, it has some cheesy parts Keypad: 6 - 6 - 6 but I felt the movie did a good job of letting you know just as much as Depp's character does, making you as curious as he is. It held a strange tension for me even though it's quite a slow movie and even has a number of humorous parts.

Maybe I just like it because there are some hot chicks in it and that I secretly hope that when I'm 40 I can look as good in glasses as he does. Who knows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

discoukulele posted:

I'm trying to go through the movies in this thread, and I just finished Special Bulletin earlier today. I can't get it out of my head. I absolutely love Ghostwatch, so this was the perfect follow-up for it.

The thing that I can't get out of my head is (major spoilers)I can't believe how audacious the ending is. Especially the reporter realizing on air that she's just likely been contaminated..

So good.

Watch Without Warning (1994) right now.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Roumba posted:

What are peoples' opinions of The Ninth Gate? For sure, it has some cheesy parts Keypad: 6 - 6 - 6 but I felt the movie did a good job of letting you know just as much as Depp's character does, making you as curious as he is. It held a strange tension for me even though it's quite a slow movie and even has a number of humorous parts.

Maybe I just like it because there are some hot chicks in it and that I secretly hope that when I'm 40 I can look as good in glasses as he does. Who knows.

I really liked it. But then again, I like old books and I thought the central hunt for the Nine Gates was pretty interesting. Sure, there were some cheesy parts, but I enjoyed the overall mood and slowness of it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What does every one think about VHS? On one hand I did feel some of the stuff was unnecessarily gory and plain, and tone super brospehy, but there were definitely a few pieces that were appropriately tension driven and psychologically horrifying. I think my favorite pieces were the Skype one, the terrible couple roadtrip, and the first party-bros-gone-wrong one (as opposed to the 3rd party bros gone wrong one...).

Also, I saw original The Silent House last night, and the ending basically ruined what was otherwise a cleverly shot and competent horror thriller.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. This is exactly the type of film I enjoy when I feel like being scared. I watched The Conversation completely at random a week ago and now I recommend it to everyone. It was one of the most terrifying films in that genre, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I can't wait to try out some of these other suggestions. I am excited I might have missed a few more hidden gems.

Edit: VHS was hit and miss. When it was good it was great, but too many misses for my tastes. Better than ABCs of Death. Oh, for the love of everything, don't see ABCs unless you like furry horror or anime schoolgirl farting fetishes.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Thundercracker posted:

What does every one think about VHS? On one hand I did feel some of the stuff was unnecessarily gory and plain, and tone super brospehy, but there were definitely a few pieces that were appropriately tension driven and psychologically horrifying.

That seems to be how most people feel when they walk away from it. Sums up my opinion, at least.

The anthology as a whole is kind of a mixed bag, but individual segments also have some pretty stark pluses and minuses. The Skype segment for example, though probably the scariest, also has the dumbest reveal. It's hard to walk away from VHS feeling anything too strongly one way or the other. For what it's worth, I hear much more positive than negative about SVHS.

• Locked thread