Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

What are you watching? Im pretty sure most of the anime is dual audio now. At least, I know some of the english only stuff has had the other language track added. I got really worried when I turned on samurai champloo a few days back and heard japanese, for example.

Oh! It's true! Months ago Samurai Champloo was only in English dub. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did anyone else have some weird 'frame doubling' problems in Dredd? Some of the time the picture was sharp and motion looked fine; other times, it seemed like the frames bled into each other (note the gun in the back, assuming you can pry your eyes away from Wig Goon :allears:):

It didn't look like interlacing since I didn't see any lines. Was it just the stream degrading? I seem to remember some PQ issues in the theater as well...

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Yeah, I got that too. It's funny you should say that because I bought a Blu Ray for Dredd recently and it was nowhere near Blu Ray quality. It just looked like a DVD, so I put it in my Xbox to test it and it wouldn't play.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I noticed the same thing as well, yeah. Seems like Netflix messed up the encoding or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

What are you watching? Im pretty sure most of the anime is dual audio now. At least, I know some of the english only stuff has had the other language track added. I got really worried when I turned on samurai champloo a few days back and heard japanese, for example.

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are two of the only foreign language media that I actually prefer dubbed. The English voice over has some amazing talent.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

I Before E posted:

Miami Connection.
This, oh my god, this. Best entertaining awful movie I've seen in a while (and Netflix is full of them).

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Chichevache posted:

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are two of the only foreign language media that I actually prefer dubbed. The English voice over has some amazing talent.

Yeah I know, thats why I was really worried. I worried they axed the superior english in favor of the japanese and I was ready to be all " guess I'll never watch champloo on netflix again :(". Luckily they just defaulted to japanese, which is kind of a pain in the rear end but not as bad as not having it exclusively.

Anyway I just finished Oldboy. I didn't really care for the ending but it was still a really good movie. I loved the flashback to the school, they did a really good making that place a confusing eshcer-esque labyrinth.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Boy of Joy posted:

This, oh my god, this. Best entertaining awful movie I've seen in a while (and Netflix is full of them).

Friends for eternity
Honesty, Loyalty!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Pierat posted:

Friends for eternity
Honesty, Loyalty!

Taekwondo is best.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yeah miami connection is brilliant. The last 30 minutes is epic. oh look, ninjas Its best with a crowd though :)

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
I've been marathoning the Bond movies before they expire. I've gotten through Diamonds are Forever and it's my favorite so far. That and Thunderball.

Honestly? Goldfinger is overrated. I can see why it's popular, though. It's easily the cleverest early Bond film. Goldfinger has a laudable scheme that isn't holding the world ransom with yet another doomsday device, and he has some pretty flashy trademarks as well as a good theme song. Oddjob is also very memorable. But I didn't think it was as engaging or suspenseful as some of the other Bond films. It's a silly movie. They all are, really.

YOLT is also pretty good for the most part and it has a topically funny name.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
FYI, if you're streaming Netflix through a computer you can manually set the video quality. I didn't see this mentioned in either Netflix thread, so here's the method:

Start the video as normal.
Get the image in a frame (full screen won't show the menu).
On Windows, hold all of [ Alt + Ctrl + Shift + S ].
On a Mac, use [ Option + Ctrl + Shift + S ].
Select any setting other than what you want, hit apply, then click the seek bar somewhere.
Now select the quality and the seek bar position you want.

It may or may not update with one setting change, but it always works with both. You can pause, play, and maximize the movie without rebuffering.

Enjoy! Be prepared to wait a shitload of time for the buffering if your connection is bad, though.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Portlandia season 3 came up today. It's usually hit or miss with people, but I enjoyed the first two season and look forward to starting three tonight.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne Flakes posted:

Portlandia season 3 came up today. It's usually hit or miss with people, but I enjoyed the first two season and look forward to starting three tonight.

I love Portlandia. I thought it was going to be lazy "lol hipsters/liberals" humor but it has plenty of actual jokes and is surreal enough that you can enjoy it without really being familiar with Portland or having an opinion on its culture one way or another.

Also it has Kyle MacLachlan being his charming self in every other episode :swoon:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It's the best Warhammer 40k movie ever.

It was the best Doom movie until they made an actual Doom movie.

I just started Portlandia and it is quite funny. I also just started Twin Peaks so this is the weekend of MacLachlan.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pierat posted:

I've been marathoning the Bond movies before they expire. I've gotten through Diamonds are Forever and it's my favorite so far. That and Thunderball.

Honestly? Goldfinger is overrated. I can see why it's popular, though. It's easily the cleverest early Bond film. Goldfinger has a laudable scheme that isn't holding the world ransom with yet another doomsday device, and he has some pretty flashy trademarks as well as a good theme song. Oddjob is also very memorable. But I didn't think it was as engaging or suspenseful as some of the other Bond films. It's a silly movie. They all are, really.

YOLT is also pretty good for the most part and it has a topically funny name.

Thunderball has always been my favorite, it made me fascinated with SCUBA for years as a kid. That and From Russia With Love are the two best ones IMHO.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Thunderball has always been my favorite, it made me fascinated with SCUBA for years as a kid. That and From Russia With Love are the two best ones IMHO.

He's a neat interview on the challenging production aspects of the underwater scenes:
http://bigbluetechnews.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/thunderball-underwater-shots-filmed/

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is The Producers 2005 pretty great, or not worth my time? I haven't seen the original, so I wouldn't be disappointed by differences.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mescal posted:

Is The Producers 2005 pretty great, or not worth my time? I haven't seen the original, so I wouldn't be disappointed by differences.

it's really not worth your time, unless you're really into Matthew Broderick.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I was wondering if there are any really good food-centric shows/documentaries on instant streaming. I've already watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Mind of a Chef, and finsihed Kings of Pastry earlier tonight. I would prefer ones about the actual making of food and the people behind it (like Jiro) rather than the really political/protest-y ones with topics like how lovely fast food to everyone's health.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love Portlandia. I thought it was going to be lazy "lol hipsters/liberals" humor but it has plenty of actual jokes and is surreal enough that you can enjoy it without really being familiar with Portland or having an opinion on its culture one way or another.

Also it has Kyle MacLachlan being his charming self in every other episode :swoon:
As someone who is currently going through Twin Peaks for his first time (I'm about four or five episodes away from the end) and has developed a slight mancrush on Kyle MacLachlan (despite him being like 20-30 years older than me), I might have to watch that just to see if he's still an awesome actor. :)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Obeast posted:

As someone who is currently going through Twin Peaks for his first time (I'm about four or five episodes away from the end) and has developed a slight mancrush on Kyle MacLachlan (despite him being like 20-30 years older than me), I might have to watch that just to see if he's still an awesome actor. :)

His character on Portlandia is so great, it's actually a pretty great continuation of Agent Cooper. I really wish I could find some clips from the episode with his printer because it's the most :3: thing.

Season 3 of Portlandia is worth it just for the PSA from the Portland Nerd Council, which is so amazingly spot-on in parodying people who complain about "fake" nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3v5yDk9Ws

e; Also, Portlandia might be the first sketch show I've ever seen when the lady player is in drag as often as the man. Complete with ridiculous pitch-shifting.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Obeast posted:

I was wondering if there are any really good food-centric shows/documentaries on instant streaming. I've already watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Mind of a Chef, and finsihed Kings of Pastry earlier tonight. I would prefer ones about the actual making of food and the people behind it (like Jiro) rather than the really political/protest-y ones with topics like how lovely fast food to everyone's health.

A matter of taste is good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

His character on Portlandia is so great, it's actually a pretty great continuation of Agent Cooper. I really wish I could find some clips from the episode with his printer because it's the most :3: thing.

Season 3 of Portlandia is worth it just for the PSA from the Portland Nerd Council, which is so amazingly spot-on in parodying people who complain about "fake" nerds.

e; Also, Portlandia might be the first sketch show I've ever seen when the lady player is in drag as often as the man. Complete with ridiculous pitch-shifting.

Carrie Brownstein makes a much better man than Fred Armisen does a woman.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Mescal posted:

I'd say yes. Especially if you a) like musicals or b) like Matthew Broderick or Nathan Lane. I'd honestly only suggest skip it if you hate either (a) or (b) as it's a pretty funny movie with perhaps its only flaw being that some of the actors stuff is a bit too "grandiose" I guess for movies but it'd fit perfectly on a stage. However, these are kind of nit-picky criticisms and didn't prevent me from fully loving it the multiple times I've seen it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That clip made me laugh harder than I expected. I might have to check that show out when I can, especially since I saw there's a thread for it in TV/IV, which usually means it's goon-approved and/or so horrible that someone decided to make a thread for it (like Honey Boo-Boo). The only downside I can see is that I don't live in Portland, so I probably won't get a lot of the in-jokes about the city itself.

Jst0rm posted:

A matter of taste is good.
Going by the description on Netflix, that sounds like something up my alley. I'll check it out tomorrow after my (mostly on days I'm not super busy) daily dose of Twin Peaks. Thanks! :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

david_a posted:

Did anyone else have some weird 'frame doubling' problems in Dredd? Some of the time the picture was sharp and motion looked fine; other times, it seemed like the frames bled into each other (note the gun in the back, assuming you can pry your eyes away from Wig Goon :allears:):

I think this is actually straight from the source, some of the film looks REALLY bad in terms of camera quality/grade, it could be pickups or something. It was like that in cinema and on the BR from what I remember.

Pierat posted:

Honestly? Goldfinger is overrated.
What the hell, noooo. It is instantly propelled to greatness by Sean Connery's pronunciation of Pussy.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 2, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Obeast posted:

That clip made me laugh harder than I expected. I might have to check that show out when I can, especially since I saw there's a thread for it in TV/IV, which usually means it's goon-approved and/or so horrible that someone decided to make a thread for it (like Honey Boo-Boo). The only downside I can see is that I don't live in Portland, so I probably won't get a lot of the in-jokes about the city itself.

If watching Portlandia has taught me anything, it's that there are a lot of Portlands out there. There really aren't a ton of Portland specific references, at least nothing that I noticed, except that the mayor's aide is played by Portland's actual mayor. Other than that, it could really be a stand-in for basically any super liberal city in America.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

If watching Portlandia has taught me anything, it's that there are a lot of Portlands out there. There really aren't a ton of Portland specific references, at least nothing that I noticed, except that the mayor's aide is played by Portland's actual mayor. Other than that, it could really be a stand-in for basically any super liberal city in America.

Yeah it's still amusing since just about every major city has certain areas has things such as fair trade coffee shops, piles of hipsters or organic clothing boutiques.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I mean yea it's kind of exciting that There Will Be Blood was added, it's a pretty good movie.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE GOT ADDED!?!?!?

"BETTER THAN BLADE-RUNNER" SCI-FI EPIC 'THE CORE' WAS ADDED. Honestly, I know you all thought that Ridley Scott transported you to an incredibly well-realized dystopian future better than anybody else has, but I'm guessing you haven't seen The Core if you still believe that.

Oh, and Zoolander is up too. And Men in Black. And Requiem for a Dream.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 2, 2013

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Tumble posted:

I mean yea it's kind of exciting that There Will Be Blood was added, it's a pretty good movie.

"BETTER THAN BLADE-RUNNER" SCI-FI EPIC 'THE CORE' WAS ADDED. Honestly, I know you all thought that Ridley Scott transported you to an incredibly well-realized dystopian future better than anybody else has, but I'm guessing you haven't seen The Core if you still believe that.

The poster and description they have for The Core are perfect for it:
"The Earth's inner core has stopped spinning, and scientist Josh Keyes must discover why -- before the world literally falls apart -- by burrowing into the planet's center!"

Watching that movie with a group of drunk geologists is wonderful.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Kind Milkman posted:

The poster and description they have for The Core are perfect for it:
"The Earth's inner core has stopped spinning, and scientist Josh Keyes must discover why -- before the world literally falls apart -- by burrowing into the planet's center!"

Watching that movie with a group of drunk geologists is wonderful.

It's pretty much the best movie.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In all seriousness, watch The Core. It doesn't make any sense and doesn't give a gently caress.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have been waiting for years for the chance to watch The Core without going to any effort or spending any money. Thank you Netflix.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tumble posted:

Oh my god I remember catching the core in a theater. That movie was loving bonkers and I completely forgot about it. Definitely a must watch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My favorite thing about the Core is how one of the writers keeps telling a story about how the original concept was basically a balls to the wall Journey To The Center Of The Earth homage (complete with dinosaurs) that he "reigned in" by ruining everyone's fun with spergy bullshit about realism, and he thinks this is worth praise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

My favorite thing about the Core is how one of the writers keeps telling a story about how the original concept was basically a balls to the wall Journey To The Center Of The Earth homage (complete with dinosaurs) that he "reigned in" by ruining everyone's fun with spergy bullshit about realism, and he thinks this is worth praise.

Yet, it still doesn't make a lick of sense! The concept on its face is ludicrous.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yet, it still doesn't make a lick of sense! The concept on its face is ludicrous.

I know, that's why its my favorite The Core story. One of the highlights was the dude flipping out because the original script had a windshield on the ship, and everyone else was like "just say its diamond or something, who gives a poo poo" while this one guy is basically having a seizure over his realisms.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm happy to see there are other Core fans out there. That was a staple of wasted college summers at my friends' lovely duplex.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

mr. stefan posted:

Gahhh, I would have been happy to go my whole life without knowing this.

That sounds awesome. There's not a single movie out there that wouldn't be improved by including dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

That sounds awesome. There's not a single movie out there that wouldn't be improved by including dinosaurs.

Pride and Prejudice?

My Dinner with Andre? :colbert:

• Locked thread