Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beach Bum posted:

Source: Local car forum

"So got around to doing the LCA bushings on the new whip (NJJack's Del Sol).

Before (no I did not remove any bushing before taking the pic though some fell off):"

When I saw the pics I was half convinced I was already in this thread :newlol:

Those look like aftermarket control arms in which case the bushings shouldn't be that old :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know about the street/track circles but there was a massive batch of lovely bushings from a variety of offroad aftermarket parts suppliers recently. Random brands have been plagued by bushing issues as a result, probably one big batch of rubber that was all poo poo and got used to make parts that then weren't sold for different amounts of time by each brand. Basically it's really annoying and you call up and they send you new ones free, but you still have to put them in yourself.

The leaf bushings in my Rusty's rear lift springs fell apart in under 5000 miles and around 6 months, most of it highway. By fell apart I mean they were metal on metal, flopping around, with a C shaped piece of shredded rubber sliding around on the other side of the sleeve.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Going along these same lines, how would you describe my car? (not trying to argue, I'm honestly not sure exactly what it falls into outside of marketing speak)

Its official model designation is "Ion Quad Coupe". There's also no B pillar, and the rear doors can't open unless the front doors are open. Not sure if the "quad" refers to the doors, or how many seats (the back seat is 1+1 instead of a bench, it has a hard plastic bin in the middle instead).

The sedan version had a normal B pillar and the normal 4 doors, and the sedan had 3 seat belts + bench in the back instead of the 1+1.

Those doors do enable me to carry absurd amounts of stuff that should never fit in such a small car, at least. :v:

I'd call it a 4-door hardtop? But you might qualify for being called a coupe with a small enough interior volume. Can you have a 4-door coupe if it's small enough?

E: But the windows aren't frameless. Hmm. Not sure if a hardtop can have framed windows?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Raluek posted:

I'd call it a 4-door hardtop? But you might qualify for being called a coupe with a small enough interior volume. Can you have a 4-door coupe if it's small enough?

E: But the windows aren't frameless. Hmm. Not sure if a hardtop can have framed windows?

:ssh: It also only has a single suicide door on the drivers' side.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

West SAAB Story posted:

Hmm. I thought when he said "rear doors" that it meant two of them. I dunno then :shobon:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Raluek posted:

Hmm. I thought when he said "rear doors" that it meant two of them. I dunno then :shobon:

He was being linguistically evasive, because the sedan version DOES have four doors. :q:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I've blown up enough two strokes to know that I'm looking at a CR125.

Did the rod run out of hours or did you twist it to 14,000?

No clue to be honest. It showed up in a box with an RO saying: Cust said engine made strange noise, estimate damage.

obso posted:

I don't see any heat discoloration on the crank so I'm guessing the latter. (And I think it's from a YZ125)

~2001 CR125

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

West SAAB Story posted:

:colbert:

You're thinking of the 01-02 SC2

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

West SAAB Story posted:

call it a sedhalf

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

You're thinking of the 01-02 SC2

I didn't know yours came with perforated tabs for the other side. v:v:v

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Call it a Tridor. Or a Coupe +

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Haha, poo poo. Those front seats are like straight out of an Opel from 1995. Make that 1990.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 3, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Haha, poo poo. Those front seats are like straight out of an Opel from 1995. Make that 1990.

A different kind of car company; a different kind of car.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This one is a quiet and insideous mechanical failure. Although it can't be seen in the photo, near that shadow of the flap of the diaphragm, where exactly I don't know, maybe from one of the little vent holes or maybe around the diaphragm this little bugger was excitedly pumping spurts of fuel all over the side of the engine. The priming lever is also pretty stiff now. The pushrod which runs in a plasitic carrier shaped like a dildo (not shown) is worn, yet the dildo isn't. The dildo also has what looks like passages for oil flow on it to and from the pump. Yet the pump is so bone dry I have to wonder if it's seen any oil in a couple of decades. Question is what would have happened if the pump had seized? Why was there no oil getting to it? Why is it hard to hand pump it? What the hell happened to it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

This one is a quiet and insideous mechanical failure. Although it can't be seen in the photo, near that shadow of the flap of the diaphragm, where exactly I don't know, maybe from one of the little vent holes or maybe around the diaphragm this little bugger was excitedly pumping spurts of fuel all over the side of the engine. The priming lever is also pretty stiff now. The pushrod which runs in a plasitic carrier shaped like a dildo (not shown) is worn, yet the dildo isn't. The dildo also has what looks like passages for oil flow on it to and from the pump. Yet the pump is so bone dry I have to wonder if it's seen any oil in a couple of decades. Question is what would have happened if the pump had seized? Why was there no oil getting to it? Why is it hard to hand pump it? What the hell happened to it?

It's almost somewhere inside, hence being hard to hand pump. It most probably would've ground the cam lump off or bent the actuating arm, depending on how it's operated

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think the oil passages in the dildo are only for oiling the pushrod. I always packed the base of my fuel pump with grease. Those brass fittings pressed into you pump and carb are another quiet, insideous mechanical failure waiting to happen.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My old Golf gearbox. Sheared a diff rivet, which fell down by the ring gear which spat it out the casing. No oil, it sounded like a screaming supercharger. Still drove ok, aside from jumping out of 3rd occasionally.

Camshaft from a 2.5 TDI. Turns out they don't bend valves when the cambelt snaps, the pistons slam the valves with smash the tappets and shatter the cam! :buddy:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I would suggest the thread should be renamed to "Post pictures of horrible VAG failures" but people might get the wrong idea :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Das Volk posted:

I would suggest the thread should be renamed to "Post pictures of horrible VAG failures" but people might get the wrong idea :v:

Fleshlights are mechanical! :buddy:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I think the oil passages in the dildo are only for oiling the pushrod. I always packed the base of my fuel pump with grease. Those brass fittings pressed into you pump and carb are another quiet, insideous mechanical failure waiting to happen.

I'm not sure. There seemed to be an upper and lower passage going to the pump that flanked the center hole that the tiny little pushrod was in. I'll have a look in the service manual when I have some time to see what it says.

Yes. I've had a fitting come loose on the pressurized side of the pump, and on the carburettor before. Both ACVWs. Different ones. No fires thankfully. I'm kind of paranoid about fuel systems. I plan on replacing the carb so it's staying as is for now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mooseykins posted:

My old Golf gearbox. Sheared a diff rivet, which fell down by the ring gear which spat it out the casing. No oil, it sounded like a screaming supercharger. Still drove ok, aside from jumping out of 3rd occasionally.

Is that the end result of the dreaded "self-machining rivets" you're talking about?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrChips posted:

Is that the end result of the dreaded "self-machining rivets" you're talking about?

Yessir. In the case of that gearbox (02E) the rivets shear one head off under load which then decides to make its escape via the diff housing. This generally results in a ruined day, and in the the case of that particular one, me getting a free Golf.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Call it a Tridor. Or a Coupe +

I like 2+1. Because no one is sitting behind the driver, honestly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The back seat is mostly for show; kids fit back there fine, but adults don't.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

At least they're fairly comfortable :v: with the front seats all the way forward

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
No pic, but I drove behind a guy in a van pulling a small trailer this morning, and the electrical connection in the trailer jack was so messed up that when the van indicated left, the trailer indicated right.

It also either turned on either both indicators or one brake light (half-assedly) every time he braked, depending on the angle of the trailer relative to the van.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

No pic, but I drove behind a guy in a van pulling a small trailer this morning, and the electrical connection in the trailer jack was so messed up that when the van indicated left, the trailer indicated right.

It also either turned on either both indicators or one brake light (half-assedly) every time he braked, depending on the angle of the trailer relative to the van.

That's very common, unfortunately. It's usually caused by a bad ground in the connector, and because people are too lazy to check their lights :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bolind posted:

Sounds like my trailer when I got it. The wiring was totally messed up. Rewired it to standard after a couple of failed attempts where things didn't quite do what they should have.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I need to get my neighbor to let me record his beater/commuter Wrangler. When I moved in a year and a half ago it sounded pretty bad, now I can hear it entering the neighborhood. Not sure if it's rod knock, piston slap or something else but the drat thing just sounds terrible. Last I saw it had a little under 500k on original engine and transmission.

He has a spare engine and transmission sitting in the garage we'll toss in when this one finally goes. Jeep 4.0L :black101:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I need to get my neighbor to let me record his beater/commuter Wrangler. When I moved in a year and a half ago it sounded pretty bad, now I can hear it entering the neighborhood. Not sure if it's rod knock, piston slap or something else but the drat thing just sounds terrible. Last I saw it had a little under 500k on original engine and transmission.

He has a spare engine and transmission sitting in the garage we'll toss in when this one finally goes. Jeep 4.0L :black101:

I have the exact same problem and I can guarantee it's the lifters making noise. If he's waiting for it to finally die, he's going to have one hell of a wait, even at a half-million miles.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Its likely to be an exhaust leak. Mine kept making that noise after getting new lifters and making sure the camshaft wasn't severely worn along with replacing a cracked 0331 head.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Speaking of heads and lifters, my buddy just posted this on Facebook the other day.

"Well I found the missfire and oil consumption in the SVO lmao wtf"

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

KozmoNaut posted:

That's very common, unfortunately. It's usually caused by a bad ground in the connector, and because people are too lazy to check their lights :argh:

I had that in my (VAG!) Jetta, only without a trailer. Left turn signal flashed the right turn signal/brake light in the back. Right did the opposite. Hitting the brakes at all caused the turn signals to stop and lit up the turn signal indicators in my gauge cluster. Fixing the bad ground in the trunk fixed it right up. Oh yeah, and using the turn signal turned off cruise control, since I guess the brake detect was just wired to the brake lights.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

The back seat is mostly for show; kids fit back there fine, but adults don't.

At least they're fairly comfortable :v: with the front seats all the way forward

As someone that owned an SC2 from age 16-20 I disagree about the back-seat. 2 normal sized people will fit back their in various configurations... Whoever designed that car with the plastic tray should be shot. Nothing worse than getting hot and heavy and not being able to lay down fully.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

As someone that owned an SC2 from age 16-20 I disagree about the back-seat. 2 normal sized people will fit back their in various configurations... Whoever designed that car with the plastic tray should be shot. Nothing worse than getting hot and heavy and not being able to lay down fully.

Like anyone who drives a Saturn ever has that problem...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

D C posted:

Like anyone who drives a Saturn ever has that problem...

When you are jerking really hard, and the seatbelt has been in the sun - that poo poo can burn!

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

The King of Swag posted:

I have the exact same problem and I can guarantee it's the lifters making noise. If he's waiting for it to finally die, he's going to have one hell of a wait, even at a half-million miles.

I once topped it off using five extra quarts of oil, at least two lifters were collapsed, and a couple bores were ovalled nearly 0.050" diametrically. It made single-digit oil pressure cold and sounded like a skeletons loving in a metal file cabinet.

It never would have been pulled if the internal slave cylinder hadn't blown and eaten the AX15's synchros.

So yeah, he might be sitting on that extra 4.0 for a while.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Well, that's certainly something I've never seen before.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Pulled the clutch off my donor engine tonight. That explains the poor clutch feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"That's not so bad, I wonder why this is in mechanical disasters..."

:catstare:
"... Oh."