Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Protocol7 posted:

e: Alternately, just add me on Uplay and we can take down dudes together. ShadowSpear242 is my handle.
I'll add you. What's your Steam info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Space Hamlet posted:

Quoting my earlier post in case you didn't see it:
So, FYI, even after uninstalling my other adapters so I only had 1 and my friend doing the same, we still couldn't join on each other. This loving sucks.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

So what's the current solution for shutting the door on people in doorways instead of attacking them? Trying a Grim mission and I'm perfectly fine aside from this contextual bullshit that causes me to shut a door on a heavy instead of sending a knife through his neck.
On one of the early side missions yacht I jumped around a guy to turn the lights off. The only time so far I rage quit and just walked away.

I am still really early on in the game, but so far I am liking it a lot. The opportunity to play missions over and try for ghost is pretty fun. Now I understand why some of the missions had "Bonus" completion times 5-10 times longer than I did it originally. Going in with fully upgraded plane, gadgets, and a shotgun is also fun for the "Survive X waves" types missions too. Or doing them 100% with gadgets. You can set some mean traps in those embassy missions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just ran a bunch of co-op with Naky. Had a pretty good time, even if I'm terrible. I respect Eric Johnson as an actor but I still can not look at Sam in Blacklist and think "Sam Fisher." They could have at least kept the facial model instead of making him a young looking guy with gray hair.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Protocol7 posted:

Just ran a bunch of co-op with Naky. Had a pretty good time, even if I'm terrible. I respect Eric Johnson as an actor but I still can not look at Sam in Blacklist and think "Sam Fisher." They could have at least kept the facial model instead of making him a young looking guy with gray hair.

Pft. You weren't terrible. I screwed up a couple times too. We bailed each other out quite a few times.

I thought I had finally unlocked everything and spent money on everything you could and then realized... I need to buy all the camo variants for all the armors I bought :cry:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like most of the maps in MvS, but I have to say, the Carnival map is *terrible*. There's so few places to hide that it's practically a deathmatch.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Davish Krail posted:

Well I just got out of a few hours of playing with Numptyboy and man, what a blast. Co-op is really really fun and I imagine we'll go back and play a lot of the missions again going for different styles of play and using new gadgets. From what other people are saying, I'm glad this was the first in the series I'm playing because I'm really more or less coming from Hitman and MGS as my stealth games of choice, and the reason I love those so much is the freedom it lets you have, so this was a natural fit for me.

Numptyboy and I did get absolutely handled at Spies vs. Mercs Classic, though. We could do pretty alright as Mercs but I don't think we fully hacked a single station as spies. If we can get four people to really have an even playing field I imagine it would be a lot more fun, though, so add me on Steam and send me a message if you're interested in that.

This is really interesting to me - while I hate having to use uPlay, in terms of performance I've found Ubisoft games to actually be really really great lately. Far Cry 3 and this both alt-tab and fullscreen quickly and with literally no hangups whatsoever, to the point where I'm inclined to trust their big PC ports more than other publishers.

I'm going to watch some classic mode tip videos on youtube before i go back into the unknown.
Im ok with blacklist mode spies, but i have no clue how to use the spy grenades properly to good effect, or know what mercs can be aware of.

COOP is definitely awesome.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Yes, so put it into borderless window and its flawless. This should be standard SOP for any game that struggles to alt tab.

Would be great if my desktop resolution wasn't higher than the resolution I want to play the game at. There's no excuse for screwing up such a basic feature.

At least it's finally accepting my remapped keys. Is there any way to use the scroll wheel for movement speed control like it was in every other game in the series?

Edit: and then all of a sudden my wired keyboard and mouse stop working again and a dog eats my balls, failing the mission again.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2013

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Game bugged at the very end of the last (e: Briggs) co-op mission. You're defending something, but after we failed the first time, enemies stopped spawning after a certain point and we couldn't proceed. :negative:

e: apparently this is a common bug. :ubisoft:

versus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 2, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Has anyone had issues with hackers in MvS? In a match right now where one guy seems to get consistent one-hit-kills with an AK, bodyshots.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has anyone had issues with hackers in MvS? In a match right now where one guy seems to get consistent one-hit-kills with an AK, bodyshots.
Is it possible to drag bodies in MvS? I watched a spy kill a merc, then with no animations working, his body and the one he killed both moved somewhere dark.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
So, uh, who thought the Charlie missions were a good idea? I'm less than halfway to the required number of waves and it sends 27 guys at me. And then the game crashes.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Anonononomous posted:

So, uh, who thought the Charlie missions were a good idea? I'm less than halfway to the required number of waves and it sends 27 guys at me. And then the game crashes.

For all intents and purposes, you only really need to do the first five waves. And that's really only if you want to unlock another Charlie mission, so if you're not into them, why feel obligated?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Yeah you only need to do the first 5 waves, which are soloable if you're further along in the game and have good gear/gadgets at your disposal. Don't bother doing more than that unless you're doing coop IMO and even then, only do as much as you both feel like doing. It does start to feel like a chore by the 10th wave though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anonononomous posted:

I must be weird because I'm not having much fun playing the SP storyline but I'm having a blast playing COOP with random people.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

versus posted:

Game bugged at the very end of the last (e: Briggs) co-op mission. You're defending something, but after we failed the first time, enemies stopped spawning after a certain point and we couldn't proceed. :negative:

e: apparently this is a common bug. :ubisoft:

Did the people hop into the area and then go into a test-model Jesus pose? Happened when I played through the co-op. Trying it again the next day, we cleared it just fine, I can't figure out what causes that.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Space Hamlet posted:

For all intents and purposes, you only really need to do the first five waves. And that's really only if you want to unlock another Charlie mission, so if you're not into them, why feel obligated?

Huh. That would have been nice to know. The HUD saying get to wave 20 gave a different impression.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Anonononomous posted:

Huh. That would have been nice to know. The HUD saying get to wave 20 gave a different impression.

It's extremely misleading, yes. They really should fix that up since it gives people a much different impression of the missions than what they really are.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Decided to order Splinter Cell Double Agent to see if I will like it. I am kind of happy for the fact that it is a Splinter Cell game that isn't all about taking down terrorists from a foreign country.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I finally beat the main story and I have to say I'm really loving glad that game developers are continuing the trend of "challenging" (read: horribly designed with the intent of developing the plot) final missions.

Had a blast up until then. There's nothing quite like chaining together kills like a badass.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
Can you still knock people out by bashing the door with them on the other side? I loved doing that in the older games.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Adrastus posted:

Can you still knock people out by bashing the door with them on the other side? I loved doing that in the older games.

Yeah you can. I've done it accidentally on some speed run attempts.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Protocol7 posted:

Well I finally beat the main story and I have to say I'm really loving glad that game developers are continuing the trend of "challenging" (read: horribly designed with the intent of developing the plot) final missions.

Had a blast up until then. There's nothing quite like chaining together kills like a badass.

Still bitter about RSV2 I see (so am I).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After rewatching the ending to Conviction, Sam Fisher really should not have been in this game, especially working with Grimsdottir again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished up Blacklist and enjoyed it overall. Not sure how you're supposed to master ghost on that last mission though. It seems like once you start doing the A,B,C hacking stuff it automatically alerts the enemies to an intruder, so any avoidance goes into the panther category. I didn't do a single takedown and was still a long ways off from mastery.

Also, is it just me or was that ending really lame? I mean I get they're trying to set it up for a sequel with Sadiq surviving and all but is it even really a cliffhanger if they don't give you any clue as to what the whole point of letting him live was? Oh, and don't bother putting in a post-credits scene when it's literally just Sam and Vic bro-hugging. What the gently caress is that even.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished up Blacklist and enjoyed it overall. Not sure how you're supposed to master ghost on that last mission though. It seems like once you start doing the A,B,C hacking stuff it automatically alerts the enemies to an intruder, so any avoidance goes into the panther category. I didn't do a single takedown and was still a long ways off from mastery.

Also, is it just me or was that ending really lame? I mean I get they're trying to set it up for a sequel with Sadiq surviving and all but is it even really a cliffhanger if they don't give you any clue as to what the whole point of letting him live was? Oh, and don't bother putting in a post-credits scene when it's literally just Sam and Vic bro-hugging. What the gently caress is that even.

The point of the ending is you kill him officially but then he gets interrogated and kept as a prisoner so that you can learn more about the engineers and what other plots may exist. I thought this was rather straightforward, but now you have me doubting it. Sadie isn't going to be a reoccurring nemesis, rather his living and providing information will allow further actions.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

post-credits talk

Ahahaha that's the whole thing? I saw it and thought I'd hit skip by mistake. What a pointless scene.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

blackguy32 posted:

After rewatching the ending to Conviction, Sam Fisher really should not have been in this game, especially working with Grimsdottir again.

Not to mention by this point he doesn't actually look, sound or act like Fisher, but that's a whole 'nother can o worms I guess...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Genetic Toaster posted:

Ahahaha that's the whole thing? I saw it and thought I'd hit skip by mistake. What a pointless scene.

I was hoping for some good cop/bad cop. Or even bad cop x 2.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I didnt see a link in the op about a steam spinter cell group. Is there one?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Sigma-X posted:

The point of the ending is you kill him officially but then he gets interrogated and kept as a prisoner so that you can learn more about the engineers and what other plots may exist. I thought this was rather straightforward, but now you have me doubting it. Sadie isn't going to be a reoccurring nemesis, rather his living and providing information will allow further actions.

I thought the ending was that Sam left him so that he could either kill himself with the knife or just die of blood-loss/exposure. Considering that it was mentioned that if Sadiq were captured he would spill all his secret knowledge and if he were killed by Americans then the countries backing Sadiq would go to war. Sam ch

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Brutakas posted:

I thought the ending was that Sam left him so that he could either kill himself with the knife or just die of blood-loss/exposure. Considering that it was mentioned that if Sadiq were captured he would spill all his secret knowledge and if he were killed by Americans then the countries backing Sadiq would go to war. Sam ch

Er, the guy does say sam will have to kill him so he doesn't spill the beans in court, but sam throws the knife down and refuses to like he's making a big moral stand. The next thing you see is the guy in some secret prison accompanied by a news report saying he died, so the big moral stand sam is taking is in favor of secret, illegal detention. With that and how extremely and immediately effective torture is it's the most :911: game ever, even more than call of duty and other army shooters.

e: The game is just presenting a false choice between running places like guantanamo and going around killing people wholesale, saying the former is morally superior and dressing it up like a heroic thing. It implies that the reasons terrorists actually resent and fight the u.s., such as the reason given in the game of the many u.s. bases and pseudo-military operations in the middle east and around the world, are irrelevant because terrorists really (or at least this particular one, wink) just want to destroy america completely and the reasons given that we can actually address in some ways to ease resentment are a front. We also can't detain people legally because it would create problems, the game says. So obviously illegal detention and torture are the best things and morally praiseworthy, if you take all the game's assertions and scenarios as realistic, which of course they're not.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 3, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, it really is saying something when this game makes Call of Duty look only slightly jingoistic and immoral. Welcome To The Next Level.

In actual gameplay news, I've really started enjoying the combat after Charlie's embassy missions. I've been starting to go back through and play Rainbow Six style and it pretty much works. This is the best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory in terms of level design and game mechanics and actually brings the Predator stuff of Conviction into the Stealth stuff from Chaos Theory. Well done guys. Now get some new writers and make the next one REALLY sing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

It's worth noting that the entire motive of 'you have troops all over the world and they need to go' was a ruse (unless I missed something). That's part of the 'shocker', is this guy and by extension, whoever he works for, doesn't really give a poo poo about american imperialism. There is some other motive at work, but the end goal is still 'kill America.'

Whatever, not trying to defend the story because I don't like it either.

Edit: put spoilers on because I guess I revealed THE PLOT TWIST!!

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 3, 2013

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Ice Fist posted:

It's worth noting that the entire motive of 'you have troops all over the world and they need to go' was a ruse (unless I missed something). That's part of the 'shocker', is this guy and by extension, whoever he works for, doesn't really give a poo poo about american imperialism. There is some other motive at work, but the end goal is still 'kill America.'

Whatever, not trying to defend the story because I don't like it either.

Yeah, but that seems to up the jingoism, not tone it down. The president at the end is ready to call in some troops but sam & the crew know that the terrorists' stated ideology is just masking their true goal of destroying america. So the joke is on that weak, cowardly civilian government who thinks reigning in american imperialism wouldn't be so bad; the hero protag knows the bad guys are pure evil or at least have no knowable ideology that reasonable policy changes can address, so the only way to fight them is drone strikes, torture, secret detainment and the rest.

Sam & crew constantly make extremely bold operational and intelligence calls and frequently escalate the violence to solve problems. What would happen if some of those intelligence calls were wrong and some of the operational calls went wrong, like both often do in real life? Like if the drone strike had started a conflict with iran, if the paladin had been shot down over site f, if infiltrating gitmo went badly wrong and people died, if the terrorists actually were ideologically motivated and sam was mostly killing misguided youngsters like most terrorists are in reality, despite the crew's convictions otherwise? If things went down at all realistically and believable mistakes were made Sam would just be another captain walker from spec ops.

I guess I'll add spoiler tags too...

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 3, 2013

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
I feel that, as odious as a lot of the subtexts to the story are, they really aren't anymore egregious than what is typical in the 'national security thriller' genre and nothing that you wouldn't already expect if you've seen an episode of 24. That is despite it bearing the name of tom clancy, a bona fide hard right McCarthyite. I'm curious to see how this forum will react when the new rainbow six comes out, as that game literally has quasi-Occupy Wall Street running around blowing up bankers.

Adrastus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 3, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Adrastus posted:

I'm curious to see how this forum will react when the new rainbow six comes out, as that game literally has quasi-Occupy Wall Street running around blowing up bankers.

Well funny you should mention that:

Wikipedia about Rainbow Six: Patriots posted:

In March 2012, it was announced that creative director David Sears, narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien, and animation director Brent George were all removed from the development team...It has also been confirmed that players will also be able to play as the True Patriots in some capacity.

So maybe they're actually not going to be some conservative bogeyman blown up to comic book supervillain status and may not be a right-wing fantasy run amok?

NAH! But most people won't care because they don't pay attention to video game stories.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well funny you should mention that:

So maybe they're actually not going to be some conservative bogeyman blown up to comic book supervillain status and may not be a right-wing fantasy run amok?

NAH! But most people won't care because they don't pay attention to video game stories.

I'm almost positive that it's going to be some sort of 'No Russian' level.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

doctor 7 posted:

Still bitter about RSV2 I see (so am I).

Ah, I was trying to suppress such memories. :smith:

My beef with Blacklist's ending is just the poor layout of the area. Several times I went out of cover randomly or to the wrong side of cover and it was just an exercise in frustration until you figured out how easy it is (this isn't good game design.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Adrastus posted:

I'm almost positive that it's going to be some sort of 'No Russian' level.

Of course, and now I feel dumb for not realizing this. Oh what a fool I am.

• Locked thread