Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bro Dad posted:

Well I was skeptical at first, but they successfully made pacifism badass.

This is actually a pretty good example of real, Gandhi-style pacifism in action. See, there's the kind of pacifism where you don't ever take a stand and hide behind the excuse that you're a pacifist, and then there's the kind of pacifism where you stand up, plant yourself on your own two feet and refuse to budge even if the other guy beats you to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it was handled pretty well and, more importantly, it justified the last 2 chapters, where not much happens otherwise.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Thorfinn sure can take some punishment, goddamn. :zoro: The next few chapters should be interesting.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Forgot this thread existed.

About a month ago Hox and Happy scans released Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's gorgeously illustrated "Alexandros - Dream for World Conquest." A biography of Alexander the Great.

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/07/alexandros-dream-for-world-conquest.html

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
YAS art AND Alexander the Great? :allears:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The most recent Vinland Saga is amazing. Thorfinn is really going all the way with his new philosophy; it seems he's even finally understand what his father meant.

Which means one thing: THORKELL NEEDS TO ENCOUNTER HIM AGAIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zorak posted:

The most recent Vinland Saga is amazing. Thorfinn is really going all the way with his new philosophy; it seems he's even finally understand what his father meant.

Which means one thing: THORKELL NEEDS TO ENCOUNTER HIM AGAIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I want to see Thorfinn surviving 100 2 punches from Thorkell.

VVV Fine. VVV

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 27, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

I want to see Thorfinn surviving 100 punches from Thorkell.

It's a historic manga, not a fantasy manga, dude.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Jackard posted:

Wolfsmund is a trap
I should have taken your word for it, this is one of those travesties that takes 'dark' as license to be completely tasteless. Spoiler alert: whenever this manga features a woman, she is subject to sexualized violence, and then murdered.

Meanwhile Vinland Saga shows us how dark should be done.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I love the emphasis on how solemn everyone gets as the count nears its end. It's a wonderful way to show that Thorfinn's commitment to his decision is rippling out around him and affecting those he interacts with. I can't wait to his the discussion with Canute in the next chapter.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Guyver posted:

Forgot this thread existed.

About a month ago Hox and Happy scans released Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's gorgeously illustrated "Alexandros - Dream for World Conquest." A biography of Alexander the Great.

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/07/alexandros-dream-for-world-conquest.html

Oh man this is fantastic, I actually teared up at the end.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love the emphasis on how solemn everyone gets as the count nears its end. It's a wonderful way to show that Thorfinn's commitment to his decision is rippling out around him and affecting those he interacts with. I can't wait to his the discussion with Canute in the next chapter.

I can't wait for that. poo poo pretty much HAS to hit the fan, because otherwise, they'd just all go to Vinland and be done with it.

We still have to get a scene where Canute orders the sea to be whipped, after all! :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize Thorkell the Tall was a real person until I read the Wikipedia article on Canute (actually spelled Cnut, haha).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorkell_the_Tall

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

I didn't realize Thorkell the Tall was a real person until I read the Wikipedia article on Canute (actually spelled Cnut, haha).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorkell_the_Tall

I've always described Vinland Saga as "What the Dynasty Warriors game would be like if it was made into a comic and was about vikings instead" I think even Thorfinn is based on a real person. So is Leif if I remember correctly.

Deaf Mute
Sep 6, 2010

Volume posted:

I've always described Vinland Saga as "What the Dynasty Warriors game would be like if it was made into a comic and was about vikings instead" I think even Thorfinn is based on a real person. So is Leif if I remember correctly.

Yep, Thorfinn from Vinland Saga is based on this Thorfinn who followed in Leif Erickson's, who is Leif in the manga, footsteps to the new world and attempted to create a permanent settlement on Newfoundland.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tomanton posted:

Spoiler alert: whenever this manga features a woman, she is subject to sexualized violence, and then murdered.

Good lord, you weren't kidding. I literally don't think there was a single woman in the entire thing so far that hasn't been killed.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Good lord, you weren't kidding. I literally don't think there was a single woman in the entire thing so far that hasn't been killed.
Are we talking about Berserk now?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
E: I'm dumb and read things wrong.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Hey now...just because we haven't seen thorfinn's sister in a long time doesn't mean she's dead and I don't think she was ever sexually assaulted.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Renzuko posted:

Hey now...just because we haven't seen thorfinn's sister in a long time doesn't mean she's dead and I don't think she was ever sexually assaulted.

Dunno if this post is supposed to be a joke or not, but in case it isn't, they mean characters in Wulfsmund, not Vinland Saga.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The second chapter of Legend of Arslan by the author of Fullmetal Alchemist just dropped.

For those unaware, its the story of the charismatic titular prince of Sassasind Persia Pals and his quest to unite his broken nation against the Roman Lusitanian invasion.

Get it here:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Arslan-Senki-ARAKAWA-Hiromu

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Bro Dad posted:

The second chapter of Legend of Arslan by the author of Fullmetal Alchemist just dropped.

For those unaware, its the story of the charismatic titular prince of Sassasind Persia Pals and his quest to unite his broken nation against the Roman Lusitanian invasion.

Get it here:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Arslan-Senki-ARAKAWA-Hiromu

Arslan cannot catch a break with respect to being captured by enemies, can he?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, are they supposed to be a Roman/Byzantine type of thing? I'm not so sure, because the Lusitanians are mentioned to have attacked a nation that was also Manga Christian (Yaldabord?) and the Lusitanian kid decried that nation's "Eastern church", implying some sort of Great Schism. So it's "Maruyama" that is the Byzantine/Roman equivalent, I figure, and the Lusitanians are more like Franks/Western European/Catholic dudes.
Cool-looking series anyway, I never quite got into Silver Spoon though I might try again sometime, so it's nice to see a new series from Hiromu Arakawa and the Sassanid Persian vibes are awesome.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 3, 2013

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, are they supposed to be a Roman/Byzantine type of thing? I'm not so sure, because the Lusitanians are mentioned to have attacked a nation that was also Manga Christian (Yaldabord?) and the Lusitanian kid decried that nation's "Eastern church", implying some sort of Great Schism. So it's "Maruyama" that is the Byzantine/Roman equivalent, I figure, and the Lusitanians are more like Franks/Western European/Catholic dudes.
Cool-looking series anyway, I never quite got into Silver Spoon though I might try again sometime, so it's nice to see a new series from Hiromu Arakawa and the Sassanid Persian vibes are awesome.

Lusitania is Byzantine Rome, Maruyama is Armenia, and Sassanid Persia had its own popular offshoot of Christianity there since the Council of Chalcedon (Church of the East, now called Nestorians or Antiochean Orthodox).

Also I just looked up the book series Arslan is based on and found out the author also wrote LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES if you're still on the fence :getin:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There is practically an offshoot fork of Christianity for each of the Pentarchies. Coptics out of Alexandria, Syriac Christianity based from the former city of Antioch, commonly called Nestorian. Orthodox out of Constantinople and obviously the Catholics out of Rome. Jerusalem was added in as a historical nod to the city but it wasn't a major power player within the Faith. Within each of those main branches you get splinters and forks from the splinters, Cathars, Protestants being the most notable of the Catholic "heresies" Hell, I'm not a theologian but I can't even remember if Arianism and Calcedonism ever managed to get resolved.

During the 400s Armenia was a Christian nation and Rome actually used the "we're the sole protector of all believers of the Faith" card to justify a war. I believe Emperor Constantine was literally was moving to the mustering point in Antioch for a campaign under these exact pretenses against the Persians when he died.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So it looks like Shut Hell is updating again.

Time travel, body-swapping and Genghis Khan, oh my.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuccckk Yeeeessssss

If that is true, you just made my day. Nah, the whole drat week, even.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A Bride's Story chapter 32: Read Online / DDL

Gotta say, kind of disappointed with this chapter.. Yeah there's drama with all the dudes getting merked left and right, but I think the action is pretty poorly laid out. I guess that's why Mori sticks to maids! Oh well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm amazed that the nomadic tribe didn't realize that charging into the town with all their warriors while the other shady militarized tribe sitting on the hills with artillery and way more armed men would be a bad idea.

I mean the entire point of the attack is them going back on their deal to marry off Amira, abducting her by force from her husband, so she can be traded off to another tribe (who's groom has beaten 2 of his brides to death but cultural relativity blah blah blah) to gain some grazing fields or livestock. Does the idea that another clan would betray them when its advantageous not ever come up in the tribal council meetings or whatever?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pentyne posted:

I'm amazed that the nomadic tribe didn't realize that charging into the town with all their warriors while the other shady militarized tribe sitting on the hills with artillery and way more armed men would be a bad idea.

I mean the entire point of the attack is them going back on their deal to marry off Amira, abducting her by force from her husband, so she can be traded off to another tribe (who's groom has beaten 2 of his brides to death but cultural relativity blah blah blah) to gain some grazing fields or livestock. Does the idea that another clan would betray them when its advantageous not ever come up in the tribal council meetings or whatever?
When someone really wants a shiny, and it's dangling right in front of them, they often don't stop to ask why it's dangling there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

When someone really wants a shiny, and it's dangling right in front of them, they often don't stop to ask why it's dangling there.

It's just odd that even with their back to the wall, they join up with a tribe being armed and funded by the Russians (the people trying to wipe out the nomads).

Looking back and rereading the last few chapters it makes more sense (when they're months apart you forget the specifics). The Batan (cannon happy tribe) play up the 'blood' relations and pay lip service to all the old customs and traditions not even bothering to work out the specifics of the deal. The Halgal elder is obviously too consumed with getting back Amira to trade her off he just assumes blood=loyalty despite the Batan's current reputation (as Russian backed murderers). All the younger sons of the chief see through the phony friendly bullshit, would rather kill the Batan leader then deal, and they see the writing on the wall.

This would be the scene in an anime where they would emphasize the smiles and overeager grins on the Batan and show the growing unease of the Chief's sons.

This manga hasn't really done anything terribly tragic and sad, so I doubt the village gets wiped out and most of the people murdered. Or maybe they will. Life was pretty terrible for the nomads and tribal villages in the run up to the Great War.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Autonomous Monster posted:

So it looks like Shut Hell is updating again.

Chapter 26

In which Shut Hell bites a man to death. Again.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Arslan has updated. I'd somehow managed to forget that this was based on a series by the Legend of the Galactic Heroes guy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's just odd that even with their back to the wall, they join up with a tribe being armed and funded by the Russians (the people trying to wipe out the nomads).

Sometimes with your back up against the wall, even if the only path to survival is a very slim one, you need to take it. Even with misgivings and worries, what can you do? Sometimes you let yourself get played if you have no other option in the hopes that you can turn it to an advantage.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Why would the nomads care about the Russians?
It really makes no difference to them if they pay their taxes to St.Peterburg instead of to Istanbul. If they manage to increase their tribes herds or lands during the chaos of the war they are better of then before, else they aren't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

Sometimes with your back up against the wall, even if the only path to survival is a very slim one, you need to take it. Even with misgivings and worries, what can you do? Sometimes you let yourself get played if you have no other option in the hopes that you can turn it to an advantage.

The conflict between the sons and the chieftain really make it clear that the sons have looked around and are seeing the world changing, not for the better for nomads, and other tribe is taking advantage of the chieftain's assumption of old traditions being honored and weak family ties meaning they'd never go back on a deal.

It looks like if the eldest son survives he'll end up leading the tribe. He's been getting constantly shot down by his father even though his ideas are usually the best option available to them.

tonberrytoby posted:

Why would the nomads care about the Russians?
It really makes no difference to them if they pay their taxes to St.Peterburg instead of to Istanbul. If they manage to increase their tribes herds or lands during the chaos of the war they are better of then before, else they aren't.

The Russians are arming some tribes and encouraging them to wage war on others and wipe them out. Obviously the Russians will then come in armed with much better weapons and wipe out the scattered remainders.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

The Russians are arming some tribes and encouraging them to wage war on others and wipe them out. Obviously the Russians will then come in armed with much better weapons and wipe out the scattered remainders.
What if there is a suprise twist, and the current war turns out to be the 10th or 12th Russian/Ottoman war, instead of the 11th? Then western Europe supports Russia. Would that switch your sympathies?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

pentyne posted:

I mean the entire point of the attack is them going back on their deal to marry off Amira, abducting her by force from her husband, so she can be traded off to another tribe

In case anyone else is under this misconception, I'd like to say that, for the record, recovering Amira is officially a Fringe Benefit of the current invasion. When her brothers (and the Halgal) first showed up a while ago, they were certainly after her, and she WAS mentioned briefly in the negotiations with the Batan, but its explicitly stated (by Joruk when he meets Amira in the alley) that the point of THIS attack is to straight up bulldoze the joint for pastures. The fact that the Halgal had a grudge against them for protecting Amira is mostly used as a pretense. Sorry if that didn't come across clear enough in the translation.

tonberrytoby posted:

What if there is a suprise twist, and the current war turns out to be the 10th or 12th Russian/Ottoman war, instead of the 11th? Then western Europe supports Russia. Would that switch your sympathies?

If you ask me, (which admittedly you haven't :v:) I would say it doesn't really matter which outside powers agree with Russia or don't, since the Heroes Of Our Story are the tribes (nomadic or otherwise) that are generally suffering from Russia's machinations. Isn't it natural that our sympathies lie with them?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

In case anyone else is under this misconception, I'd like to say that, for the record, recovering Amira is officially a Fringe Benefit of the current invasion. When her brothers (and the Halgal) first showed up a while ago, they were certainly after her, and she WAS mentioned briefly in the negotiations with the Batan, but its explicitly stated (by Joruk when he meets Amira in the alley) that the point of THIS attack is to straight up bulldoze the joint for pastures. The fact that the Halgal had a grudge against them for protecting Amira is mostly used as a pretense. Sorry if that didn't come across clear enough in the translation.

If you ask me, (which admittedly you haven't :v:) I would say it doesn't really matter which outside powers agree with Russia or don't, since the Heroes Of Our Story are the tribes (nomadic or otherwise) that are generally suffering from Russia's machinations. Isn't it natural that our sympathies lie with them?
I agree with you. The Russians are dicks because they are allied with the dick tribe. Not the other way around.

I think it is pretty clear that the attackers are mainly in this war for land and loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
New chapter of Vinland Saga's up.

This chapter was worth the wait to see Canute and Thorfinn meet again. Canute is completely loving nuts. Guy's the god drat antichrist.